Good Shot

Almost World War III

Chorong feels so restless. School days have passed by so quickly and now here she is, studying for exams and homeworks. Knowing her, she's such a grade-conscious girl and she wants every single thing to fall into the place where she wants them to be. And now, she is at the library, borrowing a Trigonometry book, hoping that the reference that she will get can help her with her academic problem.

She comfortably sits back on the chair after getting the book and starts to scan it. It took her minutes to find the best page that can help her. "Finally," she muttered as her eyes landed on the hard integral questions.

She tried to concentrate well, thanks to the quiet and student-loving atmosphere of the library. But it's not enough, Chorong then thought, "I guess these are some of the problems that I cannot solve alone,"

"...But I cannot give up that fast. Okay, one more try," she said as she tried lifting her fighting spirit up.

Minutes passed and she still cannot solve the problem. That's why she has finally decided to just do an advanced study to the other trigonometric topics, she was about to surrender until she felt someone took a seat beside her. She did not care at all until that person invaded her personal space. The person finally approached her. "What are you doing here?"

Hearing the person's voice, she knows now who he is. He's the person that Chorong is getting used to of his presence, Luhan. Chorong shifted her eyes to the doe-eyed male and gave him a small smile, which got him surprised. "I am studying for the the homework in Trigonometry. You? What are you doing here?"

Luhan thought for a second, "I guess she's in a good mood today, huh?" and then replied to her. "I just passed by actually. Then I saw you here."

He roamed his eyes around the table and saw the papers on top of it. "I just finished answering these problems last night," he said. Chorong looked at him in return, amazed. "How did you do it? I've been here since 1:00 in the afternoon, and it's now..." she raised her right arm a little bit to check the time, "it's now 2:00. 75% improvement for me," she told him sadly. Luhan faced her again and looked at her with much sincerity and nudged her, as if he's encouraging her, "hey. Don't be that sad. I'll help you," slightly squeezing her hand.

Chorong doesn't know why. She knows it is wrong, but she's wondering why she can't fight back. She feels like her tongue can't speak anything anymore to stop him from his actions. Her eyes can't move away from his stare. She also felt blood rising from her cheeks and she's trying hard so that he can't see what he has done to her. She doesn't know why, maybe, she's denying to herself the reason why she's starting to like Luhan's presence. But then, though it's quite too late, she moved her hand to get out of his touch. Luhan, on the other hand, returned his attention back to the studying materials and started to answer the other problems left unanswered by Chorong.

She watched him as he gave his full concentration on what he's doing. Though she's trying to give her attention on the problems, her pair of eyes kept on moving upward to see his side view that it admires. The way he solves amazes her, because it's like he has no difficulties in doing it. Chorong then suddenly thought of a question to ask. "Why are Chinese people so good in Math? I mean, look at you, it seems like you don't even have any difficulty in answering the problems?"

The half-Chinese, half-Korean boy did not look at her while answering her sudden question, "Chorong, we are not good in Math just because we are Chinese..." he answered incompletely, making her more curious.

"Then?"

"We are good in Math because we do not give up easily. We're persistent. Being good in Math does not always come from the culture itself. You get the point? It's not good when someone says 'He's good in Math because he's a Chinese.' Being good in Math is not really natural, I guess. It comes from hardwork. A baby while in a mother's womb cannot solve a Math problem," Chorong tried to arrange the thoughts in her mind. It took her long to answer that's why Luhan turned to her, while holding the pen in his hand.

She shook her head, giving a negative answer, indicating that she did not get the point. The male then changed position to make it easier for him to explain. "Okay. This is what I really mean. Chinese people are good in Math because we do not give up easily on the problems. We work really hard for it. But... Koreans are good in Math too, right?"

"Well, yes. But in our case, you're better than me."

"Then you should work twice harder..." he said as he returned back to what he's doing earlier. Chorong continued to watch him. She frequently asked questions to him too, thus, resulted her to learn more. That went on until Luhan has done the rest.

"Tada! It's done" he said excitedly as he showed the paper to her. A smile curved to her lips, "thank you so much Luhan. You're a big help."

"No problem with me. I will always be willing to help you."

Chorong only smiled at him in return. "But Chorong, remember, I am not only persistent in Math. I am persistent in everything..."

She only looked at him and met his eyes that are staring at hers. Awkward. It's really awkward. Double meaning. She got the point that his sentence has a deeper meaning. Silence overpowered the scenario. What can be heard by the two are the sounds produced by the air-conditioners, the small chitchats made by the students and... their own heartbeats beating so loud and fast.

Luhan then broke the silence, "so, when are we going to plan about the Sociology requirement?"

Chorong then suddenly became uncomfortable of the thought that they are going to be parents for the said subject, "well, it depends. I'll tell you when I will be going your house."

He only nodded in return. He had also thought of something. "Ah! Chorong. I have to go. We have a practive for basketball today, 3:30 in the afternoon." The girl looked at her watch once again, "you still have 45 minutes to prepare. Thank you so much Luhan for the help."

"Do you still have anything to do here?"

Chorong shook her head slowly as she started to pick up her materials and arrange them carefully in her bag.

"Then let's go out of here together."

"Okay."

Luhan swore that time that his happiness can't be contained in his heart because she agreed.

-----------

As usual, he's the more talkative one. Chorong listened to him as he talks and talks. She has to admit too, she feels something whenever their arms touch, something that she hasn't experienced for years. She doesn't like the feeling but she's letting herself enjoy it. Her mind finds it wrong but her mind says it's right.

Before the two reached the gymnasium, she suddenly thought of Jooyeon's party. "Ah... Luhan...," making the male stopped talking, his dark orbs started staring at her. Yes?" She hesitated to say it but she tried her best to pry the fear away on her. "Jooyeon's party is coming up,"

"Yeah, I suddenly remember it. Thanks to you. So, what's the problem with that?" he asked.

"Ah, nothing, nothing," she tried to make him forget the matter that she has started. Because for her, if she's going to ask him the favor to pretend to be her boyfriend for the party, that means that she has to tell Luhan everything, from the start until the present. Her heart can't do it right. She knows that she still can't for it is still in the process of recovering.

"I don't believe you," he said sincerely.

"Nah, just forget it. Me and Eunji will... go. That's what I mean," she defended herself. A happy face formed as he heard her, "really? Then let's go together."

After some series of steps, the two reached the gymnasium.

"We're already here Luhan, you should go now," she told him. Luhan scratched his head and bit his bottom lip. She wondered what is in his mind right now. "What?" she asked.

"Hmmmp... Do you still have anything to do after getting home?"

"Why are you asking me first?"

"Wait for me?" he asked hesitantly. Chorong's eyes widened for a second, trying to absorb what he had asked her to do just now. She doesn't want to admit it but she likes the thought of staying with him. She recalled the things that she still has yet to do after she gets home. They have no classes tomorrow, that's why she finally mouthed a small 'okay' to him. "Thank you Chorong," he said happily, leading her inside the gymnasium.

----------------

Nothing much happened to the practice. Time flew so fast actually for her. Chorong is a big fan of basketball that's why she enjoyed watching the practice on the audience area. He's so serious with the sport during the whole period. There are also times when he looks at the place where she is and waves at her. Though she knows that she's the one whom Luhan is waving his hands to, she can't help but feel a bit irritated whenever other girls at her back assume that they're the one whom Luhan is greeting. She ignored them anyway.

After the practice, she went down to approach Luhan. On her way to the men's room where she's about to wait for him, she heard a man's voice talking to another one, the wall hindering them to see her. The one who's dominating the conversation seemed to sound like the coach, she heard the coach said: "You're improving today, Luhan. Good job."

Luhan then talked back to the coach, "thank you so much Coach."

"Inspired?" the he asked. "We can say that, Coach," then she did not hear anything from the two.

Chorong's face suddenly blushed. She went back to the audience area again to calm herself down.

---------------

The female is now getting a bit sleepy on waiting for him. She propped both of her elbows to support her head. She closed her eyes slowly, trying to sleep. A minute later or two, she felt someone sat beside her. He called for her attention, "Chorong?"

"Yes?" she asked unconsciously. As she opened her eyes, he saw him, looking fresh with his hair a bit wet from taking a bath. His clothes are new. But his scent still as strong as ever. "Let's go home now. Come on, I'll carry your bag," he offered to her as he saw her sleepy face. The girl, after gaining back her senses, rejected his offer. "Ah, no, you're tired from the practice. I'll carry it."

"But I insisted to have you here with me," Chorong did not fight back anymore. She gave him her bag and let him carry those for her. The two walked for a bit until they have reached the bus stop. They watched the busy streets as they wait for the vehicle, the two of them not talking nor starting a conversation, until someone gained the courage to do so.

"Thank you for coming with me," he said. "I'm just returning back the favor," Chorong answered back. Luhan got bit sad with her answer. He's a bit sad about the fact that she's just doing it to return back a favor. But then, he's happy to know that he's having a progress to her heart. He listened to her as she rants about the requirements that she still has to do. They have also talked about sports. He discovered but she also loves soccer, just like him. Well, on Eunji's autograph, she only mentioned basketball as her favorite sport. Later on, a bus came and the two hopped in.

He let her sit beside the window, giving him the responsibility to protect her. He watched her as she tells him what she feels about what she sees in the view visible in the window. She wondered why he's not talking too much. "Luhan, are you with me?" He looked back at her with a big smile on his face, "of course. Just go on, I'm listening."

She could only puff her cheeks in frustration.

Because of the coldness of the air in the bus, Chorong couldn't help but fall asleep. Good thing, Luhan does not feel the same... yet. He observed her as her head kept on moving, no steady positions. He smiled a bit to himself as his hand gently grabbed the head of the unconscious Chorong and let it rest on his shoulder. "She must be so sleepy," he thought.

Out of all his trips as an adventurer, his trip back home with her, that is the most wonderful trip of all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------

 

 

Yey, another update. :D Please continue looking over the story.

It's now our vacation that's why I can now update wherever I want. Huehue. But still, it depends. *no writer's block please huhu*

God Bless us! :D