Chapter 9: The Sweetest Scent

Me and my Prince-ss?

It was the evening of Kim's arrival. After eating dinner, the physicians advised Kim to take a rest. Pie was disappointed that Kim has to go to bed early, so Kim promised Pie that she will spend the whole day with her tomorrow. She went to her room and asked her maids to give her a sponge bath, after that, she dressed in her silk evening gown and covered it with a silk robe. She then lays down on her bed and thought about everything that happened that day. “Kim finally came home. She's injured again, she was hit by an arrow on her left shoulder. Her cuts from the wolf have not even healed yet then this happened. She's really tough for a woman, if it was me, I'll never want to go out anymore. I hope she gets well soon. I cooked for her this evening, she ate everything and she said they were delicious. I'm very happy she liked my cooking. She, she, she.... I just remembered, Kim's a girl. The mere fact of this should make me back out from the wedding but it did not, it seems that it drew me closer to her instead.” Pie has not thought about Kim's gender for the past few weeks. She has forgotten all about it until now. “I know I like Kim, but she's a girl. Is this normal? Has it ever happened to anyone before? Aaargh! I wish I could talk to someone about this. By the way, why do I even like her?” Pie's thoughts prevent her from sleeping. “And she kissed me, that's the first time anyone has ever kissed me. I've never felt like this before and she's a girl for crying out loud!” Pie screams on her pillow. She took a deep breath and opened her veranda. She walks to the railings and looked up high on the sky. “If my family and friends find out about this, will the accept Kim? Will they accept us? Will the people of our kingdoms accept us? Will they accept me for falling for another girl?” Pie's questions turn into worries. She admits her attraction to Kim yet all circumstances favor them now because they do not know Kim's true gender. She knows that a secret can never be hidden forever. “And then there's this Yam girl. Who is she and why does she look at Kim like that? Her stares annoy me. Does she like Kim? I bet if she found out that Kim's a girl she'll back off.. or will she?” Pie's head starts to ache with all the thoughts that occupy her mind. She entered her room again and closed the veranda door. She lies on her bed and breathes deeply. “Maybe I could talk to Kim about this tomorrow, after all we are both in the same situation.” Pie then closed her eyes and forced herself to sleep.

 

The morning breeze sweeps through the palace as the sweet scent of the fresh flowers fill the palace halls. Pie goes down to the dining room and a servant gave her a piece of paper. She opened the note:”Good morning sweet princess! I'm in the palace garden, please come see me. -Kim” Pie smiled and went straight to the palace garden. The smell of the fresh flowers greets her as she comes closer. She then saw Kim standing beside a table filled with strawberries, butter and toasted bread. Kim smiled and offered Pie to sit down. “How's your shoulder doing?” Pie asked Kim. “It's alright, I feel a lot better now. So, how's the wedding preparation going?” Kim chuckled. “It's going smoothly. By the way Kim, I want to talk to you about something. We've never really talked about your secret seriously.” Pie's mood suddenly became serious. Kim noticed it and became serious as well.

Pie: “Kim, how did you react when your father told you about our engagement?”

Kim: “I reacted like any other normal person our age would do. I panicked.”

Pie: “Why?” Pie asked curiously.

Kim: “First because about my secret of course and secondly, because I was afraid you might find out.”

Pie: “If I didn't find out that day in the forest, when where you planning to tell me?”

Kim: “Honestly, I really don't know. I was hoping to keep it as long as I can. But what really worried me was the wedding night when we....uhm, that.” Kim suddenly turned red, she felt embarrassed as she remembered that issue.

Pie: “Oh, that..” Pie blushed. “I never really thought about that.” They both looked at each other and giggled.

Kim: “When I thought about it, I realized that my secret will be at its most vulnerable that time. I was really worried. Zee said I should just pretend to be drunk. But then I thought how long am I going to pretend to be drunk? I don't even drink that much. Hehe, so I guess it's fortunate that you found out earlier and accepted me.” Kim chuckled.

Pie: “Kim, if someone were to find out about this, I will not know what to do. I'm scared Kim. I've thought about the consequences if people found out about you and I don't think it will end well for us. I'm scared for you Kim.” Pie's face is filled with gloom as she looks at Kim.

Kim: “Listen Pie, if people found out just deny that you know about this. Just deny it. Just tell them you don't know anything. You don't need to protect me, I'm the one who should protect you.” Kim stood up and hugged Pie. Pie felt a sort of comfort in Kim's arms, she raised her arms and wrapped them around Kim's body. She rests her head on Kim's shoulder and closed her eyes. “I'll never deny you.” She thought to herself. “Let's pray that the gods will favor us. That I will be king before anybody finds out. I don't want to lose you Pie.” Kim thought to herself. Their arms tighten, Pie's hand rubs Kim's back as Kim smells the sweet scent of jasmine from Pie's body. “A treasured moment.” they both thought. As they let go of each other, they held each other's hands and walked. Kim snatched a kiss from Pie's cheek and grinned. Pie frowned and blushed then punches Kim's stomach. “You hit really hard for princess, hehe..” Kim joked. “I was trained in combat too mountain prince. I know how to use a sword, bow and arrow and daggers as well. I may be a princess but I'm no damsel in distress.” Pie brags to Kim as Kim raises her eyebrow. “Well, thank the gods your father didn't send you to war or we have already lost. Hahaha!” Kim joked as she runs away from Pie. “It's good that you know mountain prince!” Pie runs after Kim and she tackles her, they both fell down. Kim was on her back against the grass and Pie was on top of her. Their faces were so close together that they can feel each other's breath. Kim's eyes were focused on Pie's eyes as she reaches her cheek with her hand. Kim then pulls Pie closer to her and closed her eyes as she Pie kisses on her lips. Pie closed her eyes too as she kissed Kim back, she placed her whole weight on Kim as she caressed Kim's face. Kim broke the sling on her arm and reached Pie's back. She brushed Pie's soft smooth hair as she kisses her sweet candy lips. Their chests were so close that they can feel each other's heart beat. They then rolled sideward and Pie lies on Kim's left arm. The kiss broke off and they were both silent. Kim brushes Pie's hair then she asked her:”Pie, will you marry me?” “Crazy, I'm already going to marry you.” Pie chuckled. “No, Pie. Will you marry me?” Kim emphasizes you more this time. “Yes Kim, I'll marry you.” Pie smiled and she kissed Kim's lips. “I love you Pie.” Kim whispered to Pie's ear. “I love you too Kim.” Pie replied as she smiled sweetly. Pie then notices that Kim's shoulder wound was bleeding. They quickly stood up. “You're crazy Kim! Let's go to the physicians.” Pie then grabbed Kim's sling then covered it on her bleeding shoulder. Kim just laughed for the wound did not bother her. “I'm fine Pie, don't worry about me” she said as Kim snatches another kiss from Pie's cheeks. They both giggled as they walked to the physician's room. The sweet smell of the garden flowers fill the halls of the palace and the memories of the two new young lovers. A scent that will always remind them of their sweet first kiss.