Chapter 7: Through the Bleeding Woods Part 2

Me and my Prince-ss?

Something's not right. No matter where I strike them, they still keep on coming. They'd get knocked down but stand up again.” Kim muttered. The dim light of the torches limited their vision and their fighting capability, the only time they can get a clear view is when flares are fired but it only lasts a few seconds. The soldiers are going down one by one, their formation is collapsing. Kim reorganized them into a turtle formation. They hid behind their large shields and reorganized. “What are these things?” the captain asked. Kim thought hard but can't seem to recognize these creatures. They look like humans but they do not act like one, they don't die when they get struck and they don't bleed. Their eyes seemed like bottomless pits and their skin was charcoal black. “Aroka Jiva” Yam whispered. “Aroka Jiva? What is that?” The captain asked. “Darkened Souls. But they're not supposed to exist anymore. The Dark Necromancers were wiped out hundreds of years ago.” Kim said. “How can we kill these things?” One soldier asked. “The head must be separated from the body. It is the only way.” Yam said. “Are you sure?” the captain asked. “There's only one way to find out.” Kim said as she breaks off the formation and grabbed a spear. The captain and one soldier followed her and covered her left and right flanks. One soldier fires up a flare and Kim got a clear view of one darkling. She struck its torso with the spear and impaled it while the captain struck and severs the head from the body. The darkling fell and never stood up again. The soldiers cheered and morale was back up. Kim and her two men started to retreat back to the formation when suddenly, the darklings started to fire black arrows again. Kim and the two soldiers ran as fast as they could but they all got hit. Kim in her left shoulder while the captain was hit on his thigh and the soldier on his arm. They were all on their backs when the darklings started to advance again. The soldier fired another flare and the archers started to fire arrows at the darklings as the others try to pull Kim back and the other two men. The darklings were knocked down by the arrows but they got up again. Finally, Kim and the two soldiers were back in formation and ready to fight again. “On my signal, lift up the spears and fire the flares!” Kim commanded. The darklings were approaching fast, when they were 4 steps away, Kim signaled her men. The darklings were impaled and their heads were severed. The fighting continued until dawn and finally, the darklings retreat. The Dhiratvanians were finally able to breathe but they were shocked when they were unable to find the bodies of their fallen comrades. Kim was attended by her royal physician inside Yam's carriage while the other soldiers starts to pack up their things to continue the journey as soon as possible. The physician advised Kim to ride inside the carriage instead of horseback to prevent her wounds from opening, he gave her a mild sedative to relax her body and let her sleep. “Your highness, please be careful. I know how tough you are but please, keep in mind that you're still a woman.” the physician whispered. “Sir, please mind your words. Someone might here them, and yes. I'll be more careful. Thank you.” Kim replied. The physician left and closed the carriage door. Unknown to them, Yam was on the other side of the carriage and heard their conversation. “Prince Kim's a girl?” Yam thought to herself. She was about to confront Kim but when she entered the carriage, Kim was already sleeping. She looked at Kim and smiled. “I don't mind it at all.” Yam whispered as she let Kim sleep on her lap. The Dhiratvanian party started to move, they were more careful and faster. Just one more day, and they're finally home.

 

Meanwhile, in the Pithaian Castle: “Is this true? Are my eyes deceiving me? Princess Pie is in the kitchen?” Puey exclaimed as he watches Pie prepare food. “The cold weather must be affecting Pie's brain. Hehehe” Jane replied to Puey. “Silly! I just want to learn how to cook.” Pie replied as she tastes the soup. “And why would you want to learn how to cook? You're future husband is the richest Prince in the continent.” Jane asked. “I just want to.” Pie replied. “Are you trying to impress Prince Kim, Pie?” Puey jokingly asked. “No! Why would I do that? My face should be more than enough to impress him. If I do anything more, he'd die. Besides, like I told you, I don't like him. I'm just respecting father's request.” Pie defensively replied to Puey as her cheeks turned red. “You know Pie, sometimes it's alright to admit that you were wrong. I've seen you with Prince Kim. You've never smiled like that before.” Jane said to Pie as she helps her chop the vegetables. “Alright..” Pie smiled and hugged Jane and Puey. “Please help me with these.” Pie said to Jane and Puey. After a few hours, they finished cooking and it's time to taste the food. They took small servings of each dish: roasted chicken, mountain salad and fish stew. “If the taste is not good, we shall never speak about this to anyone, even ourselves. Understand?” Pie said before they taste their dishes. “Yes, your highness.” Jane and Puey replied. They all took a bite and they all smiled. “It's good Princess Pie!” Jane said. Pie squealed and hugged Jane and Puey. “Help me make these dishes again tomorrow for dinner.” she said to her friends. They enjoyed the dishes and later that night, they helped Pie pick the best dress she has. Pie was restless and was very excited to see Kim the next day, her eyes cannot close themselves so instead, she read the book about the History of the Dhiratvanian Royal Family. Kim's ancestors were all there as well as details about their birth, death, success and losses in battles. On the last pages, Kim's records were there:

Kimkhun Rava of House Dairyu, Prince of Dhiratva and Heir to the throne was born on the 4th day of the last summer moon to his Grace, King Anapan III of House Dairyu and to her late majesty Queen Dharma. On his 15th birthday, the Prince was sent to his first military campaign in the eastern provinces to liberate the captured towns. This campaign served as his highness' baptism in real life combat.” When Pie read this, her face frowned. “She was sent to war on her 15th birthday? Why would they do this?” She thought to herself as she remembered her own 15th birthday. Her father threw a grand ball at their palace for her and invited the eligible bachelors in their kingdom. All of them gave her jewels and treasures from their lands in hope of becoming her husband. She felt pity for Kim as she compared her life with her. She read more about Kim until she finished the book. The book satisfied some of her curiosity about Kim but also sparked new questions. She tried to brush off the ideas in her mind and she tried to sleep. She hugged her pillow and soon, her eyes became heavy and she fell asleep.

 

W-w-where are we?” Kim said as she yawns and scratches her eyes. She suddenly realized that she was lying on Yam's lap and she sat all of a sudden and hurt her injured shoulder. “Hey be careful, you might get hurt again. We're near the city. We'll arrive there in the morning.” Yam said as she pats Kim's back. Kim moved to the seat across Yam, she fixed her clothes and the sling on her arm. “I apologize for falling asleep in your carriage and on you lap. I think I can ride on my horse now.” Kim said to Yam. “No! You shouldn't do that. You might injure yourself your highness. I don't mind you riding in here with me, it is actually a great honor. Please relax, we'll arrive shortly.” Yam said to Kim as she smiles at her. Kim took a deep breath and sat comfortably. She looked at her left shoulder and sighed. “I don't want Princess Pie to see me like this. I look so dirty, and weak. It's unbecoming of a Prince.” Kim said to Yam. Yam smiled and said “The measure of a prince's dignity is not based on his looks and his success in battles but rather at what he fights for and how he acts after a defeat. You were not defeated your highness, you saved us and we are very grateful. That wound and the scratches and dirt on you body means you fought for us.” Yam explained. Kim's mood lightened and relaxed. “Thanks Yam.” Kim said to Yam as she smiles. Kim then took out Pie's letter from her pocket. She smiled even more and thought of Pie throughout the rest of the trip. Daybreak, the walls of the city of Pitha were peeking from the horizon. Kim looked outside and felt the breeze of cool air on her face. “I'm home Pie.” Kim muttered to herself as she grasp Pie's letter in her pocket.