Chapter 19: The Clash

Me and my Prince-ss?

The Wall has been covered by snow, men and horses with their irons in hand and on their body. The kingdom's forgers have been busy forging weapons and armors, while the tailors and women sue banners and tunics, silk bandages and boots. The chill of war has engulfed the entire kingdom. The days seem to be shorter and the nights longer, there was a hint of darkness that creeps the mountains of Dhiratva. Finally, the day of the departure. Van woke up early and rode for the Wall and found that the Dhiratvanian army was still there, he was starting to suspect that his plan did not work. He hurried back to the palace to make sure that Pie and her family are still there. When he reached the palace, he was shocked to find them missing. No one knows where they are, what Van did not know is that Zee snuck them out during the night and are now on their way to the Keenan stronghold, The Avara Sthana (The Western Fortress). Zee took a hundred of their trusted royal guards while he made the servants in the palace swear to never tell anyone about their departure. “General Van, what seems to be the problem?” Kim suddenly appeared behind Van, she was wearing her armor and on her side was the dragon forged blade that Zee and Aunt In gave her and behind her a hundred royal guards with Duke Keenan. “Or should I say, Prince Van?” Kim's words sliced through Van. Van's eyes narrowed and his anger was undeniable, he can no longer conceal his true identity, his blue and white armor slowly turns into black and gray. Van took out his sword and whispered words that was unknown to anyone. Kim was cautious, she did not attack him right away, she told her men to not attack but be cautious. They slowly close in on Van then suddenly, they felt the ground shake. The bells and horns on the wall sounded, it meant there were enemies approaching them. Kim drew her sword and it clashed with Van's dark blade. “You cannot kill an immortal, Girl King.” Van slashed Kim's armor with all his strength and Kim flew across the hall. “That's right my lords, your king here is a woman, by Dhiratvanian law a woman cannot sit on the Dragon Throne. She has defiled your laws and the throne. She's no dragon, but a snake. Would you really fight for a snake?” Van pointed at Kim as she slowly stands up. The royal guards were surprised and confused. Kim looked at her soldiers, she was worried and Duke Keenan as well. He ran to Kim and went in front of her and drew his sword. “Uncle..” Kim whispered as she holds her stomach, where the sword hit. “You're still my niece, Kim.” Duke Keenan smiled. Van was grinning, he walks slowly towards Duke Keenan and Kim then suddenly, an arrow hit his back. “Man or not, she is our KING!” One archer shouted as he draws another arrow with his bow. Then the men, drew out their swords and bows. They started to chant Long live the King! Long live the King! They start to move towards Van. Van sprints with his unnatural speed and jumped over the window. He ran to his dark stallion, its concealment disappeared the same time his disappeared. They ran fast and run down all that tried to stop them. Not far behind them, Kim and her men ran after him on horseback, their hooves thundered the earth. “Don't let him get away!” Kim shouted. Van saw Kim and her soldiers closing in on him, he was approaching the Wall. As Kim approaches the Wall, she saw an army of aroka jivas forming outside the Wall, thrice the size of the one they engaged weeks before. And now, they include cavalries, Black Knights mounted on black stallions, with lances and spears. No, I must not lose faith. Kim thought.

In the king's road, Zee formed a camp. “Yam, are you sure we're safe here?” Zee asked Yam as he looks around. “Yes, I need to start now. The souls say that the aroka jivas are starting their formations. We don't have much time.” Yam answered as she sits down under a tree and closed her eyes. Jane and Puey went beside her and so did four royal guards. Zee asked everyone to wear armor while they are traveling, Pie came out in her red and blue armor, her arms are covered with scales. “Is Yam alright?” She asked. “She's alright, Your Grace.” Zee answered. Yam starts to murmur unknown words, when she opened her eyes, she was in the Mid-World. She saw everyone and all the souls that dwell in the forrest. Yam then concentrated on getting to the Wall. Zee saw blood drip from Yam's nose and he wiped it. I hope she's alright. Zee thought to herself. Yam sees the Wall, she saw Kim running after Van and the army of aroka jivas, but they were not charcoal black, she saw weary old souls with chains bound on their necks, hands and feet. Then she saw black souls on black stallions, the Dark Necromancers who command their armies.

 

Van was still running from Kim, he saw the archers shooting flaming arrows on the aroka jivas while the catapults throw flaming oil jars at them. Van directed his horse on the wheel house of the gates. He killed all the guards and the master of gates. He then destroyed the gear mechanism of the main gates causing them to open and then Van ran out and commanded the Black Knights to advance. Kim saw this so she ordered the royal guards to form line on the entrance of the gate. She then sent word to close the inner gates to close them and put men on them. Kim went to her generals behind the lines. “We must flank them with the cavalry like the we did before.” Kim instructed. “We can't your grace, they blocked the other two entrances with their cavalry and lances, our horses will be crushed as soon as they leave the Wall, and we also risk opening another entrance to them if we do that.” Her general answered. Kim grunts and her fist closed. “Alright, right now our main objective is to close the gates. We still have the advantage of our archers and our wall defenses.” The generals agreed and they all went out. Kim went to the top of the Wall and studied the field again, the aroka jivas darkened the green and white plains of the land, they stretch as far as she could see. Then she saw her men come out in turtle formations and in a “W” form, surrounding the open gate. They spread like a wall of iron and men, the Black Knights commanded the darklings to advance and so they did, their archers shot arrows on the walls and on the men on the ground. Kim ordered them to shoot arrows on the advancing darklings, many fell on both sides but some of the darklings stood and advanced again. It was mid day yet the scene was dark and gloomy, blood spills on the white snow as the armies clashed blade against flesh. The engineers are working as fast as they could on the ruined gear mechanism, Kim watched and commanded on top of the Wall, she wanted to go down and fight there herself but she cannot, she is king now, her people depend on her for strength and courage. Her primary objective now is to fix and close the gates and draw back the invaders from their lands. Kim watched and studied, she looks for any possible weakness from their side and from the enemy's side. Pie will not be safe if I fail to destroy them. I must win no matter what. Kim thought to herself as she squeezed the handle of her sword.

 

Yam starts to recite the cleansing prayers, she clasped her hands and recited with al her might. Slowly, the chains on the weary souls start to crack, one of the dark souls noticed this and saw her. The dark soul chased after her and slashes his sword on her but she evaded it but fell. She hid behind the mudded grass, “So, a necromancer huh? Why don't you join us? We are your kind after all. The new king will have use of your power, it is wasted on these mortals.” The dark soul walks, searching for Yam while she continues to whisper her cleansing prayers. Then suddenly, a black hand grabbed her head and pulled her. “Tsk, tsk, tsk.. What a shame, you have a gift. Only a few necromancers can shatter the chains of the contract and you use it against your own kind.” The dark soul held Yam by the neck, she was choking even thought it was just her soul. The stress of the choke shows on Yam's body and Zee saw it. “Yam! You can do this!.” Zee shouted at Yam's ear. Yam was slowly losing her strength, she fights with her will but the dark soul was too powerful. I'm sorry Kim. Yam was about to give up when suddenly, a white light slashed the arm of the dark soul. It's hand was cut from it's arm and Yam fell, “Continue reciting, my daughter needs you.” Yam immediately knew who it was and continues to recite again. The chains are cracking slowly but surely. Zee noticed that Yam's body no longer looked stressed, and he was relieved. Pie watched Yam and then she thought of Kim, she prayed that she's alright as well. Shadows moved behind the trees and Zee saw it, he ordered the men to draw arms and she asked Pie to return to her carriage but instead, she took out her bow and arrows. Jane and Puey took out their double swords. “Zee, we need everyone to defend Yam.” Pie said. Aunt In and her mother came out with their short swords as well. The war of light and darkness is at its peak, it's now destiny's turn to choose the winner.