Chapter 5: The Chase

Me and my Prince-ss?

It's been 2 weeks since Pie and Kim first met. They don't get to see each other much because of their royal duties. Kim was assigned as a substitute to her father in rehabilitating the towns in the eastern borders that were affected during the war while Pie was busy with preparing for the wedding. On the her first night in the eastern border, Kim sent a letter to Pie:

 

How are you Sea Princess? Miss my cooking yet? Hehe.. The weather here is very cold and the scene is very gloomy. The people are upset too, I think they don't like my presence here. Maybe you should have come with me. Hehe..The people here could really use a smile like yours, well at least I do.. Anyway, have you thought about the cost of keeping my secret yet? Or maybe you already told them? Hehe, I know you will not do that. I just want to repay you for doing this huge favor, it means a lot to me. And how can I earn that new secret of yours? I've cooked for you day and night before I left yet you're still not telling me. I hope you will write back. Give my regards to your family. -Kimkhun

 

Pie was having trouble with the flowers that they will use for the wedding. It is customary in their kingdom that the bride will take care of the wedding preparations. She will decide what dishes will be served, which silverwares will be used and so on. It is a good thing that Jane, Puey and Pie's mother are there to assist her. Later that evening, Pie received a letter and read it in her room. Pie was shocked when she realized it was Kim who sent her the letter. Her heart beats fast and face turned red, she then found herself smiling as she read Kim's letter. She got a quill and sheets of paper.

 

Meanwhile, Kim was having some trouble with the locals in the eastern border. The people were upset because they consider the peace treaty and Kim's betrothal to Pie as a sign of betrayal. Kim tried to explain that they only did what they thought was the best for the people yet her words have landed on deaf ears. They all lost their livelihood and many of their loved ones during the siege in the eastern provinces and Kim understood that. She feared that an uprising may brew up, she tried to calm the people but her words were useless. Kim looked down in disappointment and took a deep breath. She was about to command her soldiers to detain the people when suddenly, a young woman steps up and said: “My dear townsfolk, please listen. The prince is here to help us rebuild our lives, can't you remember who he is? He was here 3 years ago, he liberated us from the foreign soldiers. He was only 15 back then, he was as young as your sons when the Vitharians came. Now, he is sacrificing his happiness to help us rebuild and have peace.” The people became calm and dispersed, they started to work on cleaning debris. “Thank you my lady, you saved me back there.” Kim said. “It was nothing, you saved me back then.” The girl replied. Kim was confused and tried to recall who she was. “It's me, Yam. Lord Raavi's daughter. You've already forgotten about me.” Yam chuckled.

Kim: “Oh Yam! I'm sorry I did not recognize you. How are you?”

Yam: “I'm fine, how about you? I heard you're getting married.”

Kim: “Yes, the ceremony is in the next full moon this coming month. Did you receive the invitation?”

Yam: “Yes,. So, the lucky girl is Princess Pie of Vithara right?”

Kim: “Yes, the one they call the most beautiful woman in the world. I guess besides princess, 'the most beautiful woman in the world' is her other title, hehe..” Kim chuckled.

Yam: “Is she really that beautiful?” Yam jealously asked.

Kim: “Yes, that title sure fits her well. Hehe..”

Yam: “So, do you love her?” Yam suddenly asked.

Kim: “Love? I cannot love someone that I've just met.” Kim blushed.

Yam: “So you don't love her?”

Kim: “Let's just say I'm captivated.” Kim smiled.

 

A soldier called Kim's attention so she bid farewell to Yam. The soldier handed Kim a letter with a blue turtle seal. Kim smiled as she rushed back to her tent to read the letter.

Pie's letter:

Well hello there Mountain Prince. I'm fine and as beautiful as ever, thank you for asking. You better double your coat, I don't want you sneezing on my food when you come back. Hehe.. You think the people could use a smile like mine? Of course they sure do, but I'll bash their heads for not cooperating with you. About that, I may have thought of what the cost will be but it will be irrelevant because I don't think you will want to do it and I don't mind keeping your secret. And as for earning that secret, you will have to do something that none of my suitors have ever done before. So, are you up for the challenge? Hehe.. By the way, can you help me decide on which flowers we should use? It is our wedding after all. Take care of yourself out there and come home soon. -Pie

Kim folded the letter and smiled. She lied on her bed and looked at the blue turtle seal and thought of Pie. She suddenly stood up and walked out. She called her lieutenants for a meeting. “Alright men, I know we all want to go home as soon as possible but at the same time, we want to help these people. Here's what we'll do...” Kim devised a strategy that will make their work easier and faster at the same time. “Lt. Beili, I have a special task for you. Call all the florists in the city and ask them what is the best flower we can use for the wedding. Please report back to me this evening.” Kim commanded.

“I'm coming home Pie..” Kim thought to herself.