Chapter 17: True Colors

Me and my Prince-ss?

It was a day after the attack on the Wall, Pie was busy chatting with Yam, Jane and Puey. She starts to befriend Yam though there was still a hint of jealousy, they were in the garden of the residential wing of the palace.

Jane: “I hope everything is alright down there, in the Wall and in Vithara. Knowing your enemies are not humans frightens me more.”

Puey: “And there's this Black Knight now, where the heck did these things come from? I can't remember reading them in our history books.”

Yam: “Actually Puey, they existed around the same time the first humans came to the world. Necromancers are humans too you know.”

Pie: “How come you know about these things Yam? Did Kim tell you?” Pie was narrowing her eyes.

Yam: “No, Your Grace. Actually, I've learned this from my father and I don't think His Grace knows this.”

Pie: “Alright, gosh I miss Kim. I hope he's alright. His father's death really took a piece of him.”

Aunt In: “Actually a really big piece dear. Ani was the only one left of Kim's family.” Aunt In sits in with the group.

Yam: “Ani, lady In?” Yam asked, they all stared at Aunt In for answers.

Aunt In: “When we were young, me and my parents called Ananpan Ani, it was his nick name. He's actually a lot like Kim when he was younger though Kim took much of his appearance from his mother. That little rascal, always getting into trouble like his father.”

Pie: “I hope this will all end soon, and I hope they will all come back safe.” They all nodded and thought of a prayer in their minds. Pie then suddenly noticed a figure that passed by and thought it was Kim. She stood up and excused herself then followed the figure. “Kim?” She whispered, suddenly a pair of hands placed themselves on Pie's shoulders. It was Van. “Hello Your Grace, may I have a word with you?” Van smiled like an innocent puppy. “Very well. Let's speak now.” Pie replied proudly. “Your Grace, perhaps it's best we do it in a more private place? It's about the King.” Van offered his hand to Pie.”What happened to Kim?” Pie took Van's hand and followed him in the library.

Pie: “What happened to Kim? Is he alright?” Pie worriedly asked.

Van: “He's safe actually, they won the battle at the Wall. He's coming here as we speak, or should I say she is coming here.” Van grinned.

Pie: “I must have heard you wrong General Van, Kim is the King of Dhiratva and I am the Queen, do watch your words, sir.” Pie said bravely though inside she is nervous and trembling.

Van: “You heard me right my Queen, Kim is a woman. I'm very interested in what will your family and the rest of Dhiratva will say, and oh, Vithara as well. I wonder what will happen to your precious girl king.” Van circles around Pie and rubbed his chin.

Pie: “You wouldn't dare Van, you still serve me and my father.” Pie clenched her fists.

Van: “I only served your father because it is a part of a century old plan, sweet Pie. My blood is the blood of the old kings, Necromancer Kings. That's right Pie, I am the necromancer that your girl king is looking for. After Marius' purge, my family hid in Vithara, their youngest living son and heir, seduced and married the daughter of a Vitharian Lord. From then on, we conspired our revenge on the scaly dragon lords, we needed to raise an army of aroka jivas but it was peace time, souls were not as desperate as during the war times you see. So my ancestors sparked a war between Vithara and Dhiratva, and for almost a hundred years, they collect the souls of soldiers, noble lords and even kings and princes. My ancestors did not take on immortality, it was a sacrifice, a necessary one in order to hide our true identity. All was going well until your foolish father signed the peace treaty! And you married that snake! I would have left Vithara alone if you didn't marry Kim and now it will burn as well!” Van's face starts to turn red and his eyes darkened like bottomless pits. Pie was terrified, she was powerless, he was not human after all. “Then your husband killed my little brother, you remember him?” Pie's memory flashed and remembered a small boy who was always clinging to Van when he was in their palace.

Pie: “No, Kim wouldn't do such a thing! She's a gentle person.” Pie denied with all her might.

Van: “She did, and without remorse. What a noble king indeed.” Pie's eyes were starting to fill with tears, yet she made sure they would't fall. “Anyway my little queen, I am not merciless barbarian. I will spare you, your family and Vithara, I'll add your husband and her family as well if you'll cooperate with me. If you refuse, your family will die and your kingdom will burn. And Kim, well she'll die by the hands of her own people. What a tragedy, people will write songs about her demise, her dishonor will be remembered until the end of time. Do you want that?” Pie was crying inside, her hands still clenched. She looked at Van with disgust and hatred. Pie: “You better keep your word or I will hunt you down. You know I have the means and skills Van.”

Van: “I'm a Prince, my word is my bond, your grace.” He bowed before her. “Listen to me now..” Van whispered his plan to Pie, as she listens, her heart was tearing into pieces, she kept telling herself that it was for Kim and their family yet it did not ease the pain. After saying his plan, Pie slapped Van's face so hard that it turned his face, her ring cuts his cheeks and it bled. “Just remember what I told you little queen.” Pie walked out quickly, her heart was bursting and her tears fell. She wept.

 

Kim finally reached the palace courtyard, she gave her horse to the stable boy waiting for her and ran quickly towards the residential wing of the palace. She searched for Pie, though her quick movements hurt her arm, she did not mind. All she wanted was to see Pie. She then went to their room, she opened the door and what she saw tore her up. She saw Pie in Van's arms, they were kissing passionately. “What are you doing to my wife!” Kim shouts as she pushed Van away from Pie, she then unsheathed her sword and pointed it at Van's face. But to her dismay, Pie went between her sword and Van. “Pie, what are you doing?” Kim was very surprised and confused, her heart was beating so fast yet it hurts like daggers went through it. “Kim, if you love me, please put down your sword.” Kim lowered her sword.” I'm very sorry Kim, I realized after your coronation, I don't want to be your wife anymore. Kim before I met you, I had dreams of having children and grandchildren, but being with you, all of that was not possible anymore and I cannot live with that. Van has been waiting patiently Kim, he loves me. Please, I never meant to hurt or dishonor you but I cannot be with you anymore. It was not love after all, it was just the heat of the moment and I thought about my kingdom and father. After the war, I will go back to Vithara with Van. Kim, if you really love me, you will let the peace between our kingdoms continue. I'm sorry Kim, I just don't love you.” Pie lied, she lied like she has been doing it all her life. Kim never cried when her father died, but now, her tears were uncontrollable. She sheathed her sword and wiped her eyes, she felt disgraced and hurt. After a while, she composed herself and stood proudly, her eyes dry and cold, she looked at Pie and Van “If that is what you want, I will give it you. I will not start another war, Dhiratva has had enough. You may stay here until it is safe to go back to Vithara, you shall have all the comforts that you need. I'll go now, excuse me.” I am a King, this is nothing. I cannot be weak again, I was vulnerable that's why the world preyed on me. Never again, never again. She thought to herself as she bows to Pie and left, when she was walking in the hall way, she broke her sling loose. She punched the stone wall over and over again till her hands bleed. She summoned her generals in the council room, she wants this war over as soon as possible. She does not want to see Pie or Van ever again. She will hunt down the Dark Necromancers and the aroka jivas like King Marius. Never again. Those words keep echoing in her mind as she studies the maps on the table. Her hands and arms were bleeding, yet she did not wince in pain. She wanted it to be all over as soon as possible.

 

You did very well sweet Pie, you're such a talented actress. You just saved everybody, congratulations.” Van said as he touches Pie's lips, Pie slammed his hands away from her. “Don't you ever touch me again, Van. You'll pay for this one way or another.” Pie slaps Van's face harder than the last time. She walks out, weeping in pain and disgust. “A heart for a heart Girl King. Now you're going the path that I laid for you.” Van wipes the blood on his face and hummed as he walks out of the room.