Chapter 20: A New Era

Me and my Prince-ss?

The siege on the Wall continues until sunset, the gear mechanism of the gates are still under repairs and the darklings are closing in. Kim ordered to the catapults and the archers to concentrate their fire power on the Black Knights. Fire balls rained that evening, the wounded are starting to pile up inside the Wall while fresh reinforcements take their place. Kim ran to the gear house “How much longer? We don't know how much longer we can hold the entrance.” Kim asked one of the engineers. “One more hour, Your Grace.” He answered. “We may not have one more hour.” Kim sighed. She ran back to the top of the Wall, she can a black mass forming behind the lines of the darklings. What the? No way. Kim's eyes widened and her heart fell. Catapults and moving towers were being pulled by black stallions, and more darklings and Black Knights form in. “Get the men in and push the damn gates!” Kim roared as she goes down to the entrance. “Cavalry, we'll cover the retreat of the Infantry, archers, you cover us. Let's go!” Kim puts on her helmet and mounted her horse, she drew out her sword and lead the cavalry outside the gates. The cavalry enclosed the infantry, cutting down all darklings in their path. The Black Knights attacked the cavalry, their swords clashed on each other, the archers shoot flaming arrows to cover Kim's cavalry. Finally, the infantry was in. Kim commanded the retreat back to the Wall, she was the last to enter. The gears were finally functional and they were able to close the gates. The soldiers barred the gates with thick logs. Kim called on her war council. “They have siege engines, they plan to take down the wall. How many men do we still have?” Kim asked her generals. “We have a thousand infantry, 500 cavalry and archers. Our oil jars are still plenty.” One of her generals answered. “They still outnumber us, they have fresh reinforcements. Duke Keenan, take half of cavalry and archers in the west tower, General Ton, take the other half in the east tower. The infantry will spread on the wall. I want half on the ground and half on the walls.” Kim was dreadful Yam, please hurry.

 

The King's Road was no different, the Black Knight sent aroka jivas to take out Yam's body. Flares were firing every minute, the shields of the soldiers surrounded them like a wall. Pie saw a darkling and shot it in the head, it fell and never came back up, then they descended like avalanche on the group. The soldiers keep their shields intact so that nothing can get in.

 

Meanwhile, in the Mid-world, Yam's cleansing prayer is shattering the chains of the weary souls. Van noticed this so he called in to advance and to fire the catapults at the Wall. Large rocks fell on the Wall, crushing some soldiers and tearing parts of the wall, there was hole and Van took advantage of it. He ordered the Black Knights to attack. Kim saw this, she ordered her infantry to advance, the Black Knights and the infantry clashed, funneling the Black Knights, the archers rained flaming arrows on them. The Black Knights burned, it angered Van, he rode to the wall with a legion of Black Knights behind him, Kim watched with dread, the infantry will be crushed if Van descends on them. Kim then ordered their cavalry to attack from the left and right to counter Van's attack. It's time. Pie, I love you. Kim puts on her helmet and rode with the cavalry. Swords, spears and lances clashed as the cavalries of both sides met. Kim cuts down one, two, three and more Black Knights, searching for Van. Some of the Black Knights were no longer immortal, Yam has crushed the chains that bind the souls to the Dark Necromancers and now she's working on Van. Kim was wounded yet her will to get Van gave her power. Then, horns sounded. King Arkom's army has arrived, five thousand strong. They pinned down the army of the Dark Necromancers, finally, the scales are tipping Kim's side.

 

The attack in the King's Road has ceased, but they were still on guard. The bodies of the aroka jivas slowly turns into their original human form and then into ash. “May they rest peace.” Zee whispered. Finally, Yam is back in her body, she was breathing heavily. Her body was sweating and her nose was bleeding. Zee immediately came to her aid, he wiped Yam's nose and he carried her to the carriage, he gently lays her down on the seat while Pie followed. Pie gave Yam water and wipes her sweat while Zee covers her with a gray fur coat. “It's all up to Kim now. She's about to engage Van.” Yam said as she was panting. “Kim can do it. Thank you so much Yam.” Pie gave Yam a quick hug, Zee then orders the men to pack up and to be on the move right away. “We'll be safer in my palace.” Zee said. The soldiers all fixed their shields and mounted their horses, the party was on their way in less than ten minutes.

 

Van, infuriated, found Kim and slashed his dark blade on her. Kim blocked the attacked with her sword but the tip cuts through her helmet, wounding the left side of her forehead. She removed her helmet and wiped the blood that was flowing from her wound, it smudged, covering her face and giving her a fierce look. “You die tonight Girl King.” Van grinned. “No, not today.” Kim slashed her sword on Van, and he blocked it. The Dragon and the Dark Necromancer dueled on a flaming field as the snow falls, sparks light up the edges of their swords. Van hits Kim on her armor, causing a dent on her chest, Kim then unhooks her coat. It was weighing her down, Kim then strikes Van on his shoulder, his armor broke and wounded Van. Kim was panting, the whole day of chasing and fighting is wearing her down, her previous arm injury opened again and all her other injuries were taking a toll on her. Just a bit more, I can't lose now. Kim thought as she tightens her grip on her sword. For Pie and Father, come on Kim. Her sight was blurring but she shook her head and focused on her enemy. Van was weak and tired as well, his corrupted souls are abandoning him one by one, he could feel his strength and immortality fading away. No, Dhiratva is mine, Pie is mine! Van raised his sword and swings it at Kim with all his might, it hits Kim's sword she countered by bouncing it aside, both their swords were tossed away. Kim hurriedly charged on Van, not giving him a chance to react, she tackled him and punched his face. Van was on his back as Kim punched him repeatedly, Van then blocked Kim's fists and threw her away, she landed on her back. Van kick Kim on the stomach and grabbed her armor and threw her across the field, her face was bruised and scratched by the impact. Van was slowly walking towards her, his face all bloodied and bruised by Kim's beating, he grabs a dagger lying on the ground while Kim was trying to stand with all her strength, she saw Van approaching her with a dagger in hand. She quickly looks for any weapon on the grass but she only found a broken arrow head, she felt her heart fall and dry up, in her mind she knew it's all over, she closed her eyes and Pie's smiling face flashed. Kim opened her eyes and grabbed the arrow head, she stood up but Van was already in front of her. Van looked Kim in the eyes and stabs her in the stomach, the blade went through the armor, piercing her skin and flesh, blood starts to come out of her armor. Kim felt the stab, before her strength fades, she raised her right hand and stabs Van with the arrow head on his neck. Van and Kim made their final eye contact before the both collapsed on the bloody snow. Van's blood and life starts to flow from his neck, he closed his eyes right before his last breath of life, then he dies. All the aroka jivas' souls beamed up to the heavens and are now shining among the stars. Kim was lying on her back, the cold wind blows on her face, she held her wounded stomach, her strength has left her, she thought of Pie. She thought about their first dance and how beautiful Pie was that night, then Kim bites her lips, she thought about Pie's sweet soft kiss. You're safe now Pie. I miss you so much. Kim looked at the heavens, smiled and closed her eyes.

 

It has been three days since the great battle at the Wall, everyone was busy rebuilding it and cleaning the fields. The loved ones of the fallen soldiers cremated their brave heroes, Zee and Aunt In were there to honor them. King Arkom caught Van's father, he stripped their family of all of their lands and their honor, then he was executed, all of his living family members were either exiled or imprisoned.

 

Pie was in her and Kim's room in the royal palace, she was looking at Kim's damaged armor. The golden steel was stained with blood and there were many dents, she found a stab hole on the left side of its abdomen, it has the most blood stains. Pie could only imagine the pain and suffering that Kim went through during the war, she felt a deep cut in her heart, her eyes starts to tear up. As she wiped her eyes, a pair of hands gently grabbed her stomach and she could feel a warm breathing on her right ear. “Hey Sea Princess..” Pie turned around and saw Kim, she was wearing a loose shirt and s thick coat was covered on her. Her head and arms were bandaged, while cuts bruises were still visible on her face and hands. “You're awake! You're finally awake!” Pie grabbed Kim and hugged tightly and Kim hugged her back. Pie was crying tears of joy. Kim has been in a comma for three days since the battle. “Mountain King, don't you dare go to war again. I will never let you go.” Pie pressed her face on Kim's chest. “I'll never go anywhere, love.” Kim wipes the tears on Pie's cheeks, she then moved her face closer to her and locked her lips with Pie's. Kim kissed Pie passionately, she starts to untie Pie's dress. “Wait Kim, the rest of the family wants to see you too..” Kim nods and gives Pie a sweet kiss. “Let me dress properly first.” Kim smiled and puts on her shirt and a blue tunic with white trousers and leather boots. She went to the dining area of the residential wing. Everyone was there and they were all surprised to see Kim awake and on her feet again. Zee and Aunt In hugged Kim first, then Jane and Puey, then King Arkom and his queen. Then Kim turned her glance on Yam, she smiled at her and she hugged her. “Thank you Yam, I owe you.” Kim whispered in Yam's ears, Yam hugged Kim back, her heart was beating so fast. Then she lets go and smiled at Kim, “I'm happy you're alright Kim.” They all sat down ad ate, they were laughing and joking, the palace was alive again. “Kim, we should hold your formal crowning ceremony soon.” King Arkom suggested, Kim was proclaimed king right away by her birth right but there was no ceremony because of the grieving for her father's death and because of the war. “Yes Kim, we should.” Aunt In agreed. Kim nodded. “I guess we should prepare soon?” Kim answered. For the rest of the night, they all discussed about Kim and Pie's coronation, Pie will be crowned Queen of Dhiratva. They all decided that the coronation will be held on the fortnight.

 

Two weeks have passed and it was the day of the coronation, Pie wore a red gown with long sleeves with gold linings, her neck was decorated with the turtle necklace, and she wore a long red velvet cape sewn with a golden dragon in the middle and white fur linings, her beauty incomparable, her smile was so radiant. Kim wore a long red tunic with gold linings as well, her trousers were white. She wore her sword on her side, her cape was longer than Pie's and the edges were weighed down by gold. The throne room was filled with royal visitors, crimson banners with dragons were hanged on every street of the capital and on the Wall. Finally, it was the moment of coronation, the high priest then starts the ceremony. Kim was kneeling while the priest recite the words “By the grace of the gods, I hereby crown Kimhun Rava of House Dairyu, King of Dhiratva, lord and protector of the realm.” The high priest placed the golden crown of Kim's head. “Rise, Dragon King.” As Kim stood up, all the people in the throne room kneeled. “Rise, my good lords.” The people stood up and it was now time for Pie's coronation, Kim will be the one to crown her. “By the grace of the gods, I Kimhun Rava of House Dairyu, first of my name, hereby crown Pie of House Kurma, Princess of Vithara, to be Queen of Dhiratva.” Kim placed the golden crown on Pie. “Rise, my queen.” Kim held Pie's hand and helped her stand. “Behold, our King and Queen.” The high priest announced, all of the people kneeled. “All of you, rise.” Kim commanded. Then Zee shouted, “LONG LIVE THE KING! LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!” The rest of the guests all chanted it as well. It was a glorious day for Dhiratva and Vithara, a new Dragon King and Queen has just been crowned, a new era begins.

 

---Author's notes

Kim and Pie's crown is a combination of two gold dragons with their head twisted on each other and in the middle, they breathe a golden flame with a red ruby at the center. Their eyes are made of rubies as well, their bodies are very detailed, the scales are carved neatly. Kim's crown is bigger and heavier than Pie's.