Chapter 12: Rain Clouds

Me and my Prince-ss?

It was a cold dawn, the snow was still falling though a bit of sunlight punches through the clouds. The palace servants were busy plowing the snow from the palace courtyards and around the palace as well. Kim woke up earlier than usual this morning, she wanted to have a morning exercise to move around her healing shoulder wound. She wore a thick set of white tunic then covered herself with a white coat. She then heads to the training area in the east wing of the palace. It was a room with an outdoor archery training ground, she then did some breathing exercises and then she grabs a bow and a container full of arrows. A bit of stretching here and there then she raises her arm then pulls the bow with an arrow in it. A split second aim then she lets the arrow loose. The arrow slices through the falling snow then it hits the bullseye. Kim felt a bit of pain from her shoulder so she stretches it a bit more and then suddenly, an arrow flew beside her then hits the bullseye. She turned her back and then she saw Pie. Pie smiles at Kim the she takes another arrow then shoots it on the bullseye. “I told you I was no damsel in distress.” Pie brags at Kim. Kim smiles at Pie and said “I never said you were a damsel in distress, hehe.. What are you doing this early in the morning?”

Pie: “Nothing, I just wanted to shoot some arrows. Hehe.. How about a little competition to spice up the morning?”

Kim: “Competition huh? What's the prize?”

Pie: “The loser must tell a secret to the winner.”

Kim: “Alright. What are the rules?”

Pie: “We'll both have 10 arrows,. I'll have the blue ones and you'll have the red ones. The one who hits the target the most is the winner.”

Kim: “That's it? You're on princess.”

Pie: “Oh by the way, we'll do it blindfolded.” Pie grins as she calls the maid to cover their eyes.

They both positioned themselves at the opposite ends of the rooms. The maid signaled the start of the competition then they both starting firing arrows. After a few minutes, the maid declared that all arrows were fired. They then took off the blindfolds and counted the arrows that hit the target.

Kim: “1,2,3,4.. Ugh, just four arrows? This is embarrassing.”

Pie: “1,2,3,4,5,6.. Six arrows! I win!” Pie jumps and teases Kim.

Kim: “So princess, what else can I tell you?”

Pie: “Let's have some breakfast first, I'm hungry.” Pie pulls Kim's arm.

The two then headed to the kitchen and grabbed some bread, jam, fruits and a bit of hot tea. Kim then leads Pie to the Waterfall Bridge.

Pie: “You have a waterfall in the palace area?” Pie was astounded by the majestic view.

Kim: “My ancestors didn't want to cut the waterfalls so they built this area around it.” Kim then lets Pie sit on the chair and started to put jam on the bread. “So what secret do you want to know now princess?”

Pie: “Kim, I know something's been troubling you since we left Pitha. What is it?”

Kim: “I don't know how to tell you this Pie.” Kim was very hesitant to tell Pie that Yam was a Necromancer. “The ones that attacked our convoy in the Bleeding Woods, they were Aroka Jivas. They were the soldiers of the Dark Necromancers. My ancestor, King Marius has purged the kingdom of these dark creatures but now they have returned. We fear that this Dark Necromancer has an army that consists of hundreds of thousands of darklings because of the 95 years of war between our kingdoms.”

Pie: “What does these darklings have to do with the war between our kingdoms?”

Kim: “The darklings were people once, usually soldiers who died horrible deaths and were not able to move on their souls were corrupted by the Dark Necromancers. So now, we must quickly act on this threat to avoid a possible war.”

Pie: “Oh my Kim, no wonder you're really bothered.” Pie felt the same worry that Kim has been feeling the last few days.

Kim: “Don't worry Pie, I won't let any darklings near you hehe..” Kim chuckled.

Pie: “Alright Kim, how about necromancers? Hehe..” Kim felt a sudden hesitation on whether to tell Pie about yam.

Kim: “Well actually Pie, some necromancers are not evil. But if they try to hurt you, they'll feel the wrath of the dragon hehehe!” Kim cannot tell Pie about Yam yet, not until she proves to herself that Yam is on their side. “But I don't think you'll be needing my protection warrior princess, you're shooting skills surpasses mine.”

Pie: “Actually Kim, I sort of peaked..Hihi..” Pie covers her face as she smiles sweetly on Kim.

Kim: “I knew it! You cheater! Come here!” Pie suddenly stood up and ran then Kim follows her and catches her. Kim wraps her arms around Pie. “I got you Pie!”

Pie: “Yes, you got me.” Pie turns around and raises her head to kiss Kim, as her lips were about to reach Kim, a royal guard suddenly arrived. “Uhm I'm very sorry to disturb you your highnesses but his grace is asking for Prince Kim. I think it's very urgent. I'm sorry again your highnesses.” The royal guard turns around embarrassed. “I'm sorry Pie, I need to go. I'll see you later alright? I have a surprise for you by the way.” Kim lets go of Pie then she snatched a kiss on her cheek. Pie blushed as she watches Kim walk away. The royal guard then escorted Pie back to the main residence hall of the palace where Jane, Puey, Yam, Pie's mother and Aunt In are. Kim arrives at the council chambers. She saw King Arkom, Zee and all of her father's generals there as well as King Arkom's captain of the royal guards. She sensed something was wrong. “What is it father.” Kim was very nervous. “Son, the scouts have returned and they bear terrible news. The villages from the borders all tell about dark creatures that roam the lands. Some say hundreds lurk the planes moving towards the Wall while hundreds more towards Vithara. They're back Kim. I have already sent two thousand infantry men accompanied by one thousand cavalry men and archers south of the wall. King Arkom has sent a messenger to Vithara to protect their borders as well. I have sent three thousand men to stop the forces heading to Vithara.” King Anapan his face as he sat down. “I think this peace that we yearn for will be denied from us again.” Kim sighed as she reviews the map that was laid on the table. “Kim, the wedding will still continue, don't worry.” King Anapan reassures Kim. The door suddenly opened, a young man in a blue and white armor came in. “This is General Van of the House Ulrik, he is the closest of all the generals that I have here. He will help in defending the borders.” Van bowed and everyone bowed back, then he gave Kim a sinister look. Kim did not pay much attention to it but she kept her guard up. When the council was adjourned, Kim quickly went out of the room to see Pie. Suddenly, a pair of hands covered her eyes. It was Pie! Kim felt a sudden relief to see her. She was about to speak when suddenly, “Hello Princess Pie, it's nice to see you again.” Van came between Kim and Pie and kissed Pie's hand which annoyed Kim very much. “Oh, General Van, w-w-why are you here?” Pie stutters as she answers. Kim then moved forward and blocked Van. She then held Pie's hand and gave Van a burning stare. “Pie, you know General Van?” Kim asks. “I've been courting Pie for almost a year now, until the news of the engagement reached me. Congratulations your highness.” Van's tone was almost sarcastic. “Thank you General.” Kim answers with a grin as Pie pulls her. Pie noticed the tension between the two so she stepped in. “Kim, you told me that you have a surprise for me. I'd love to see it.” “Sure Pie.” Kim then detaches from the stare down between her and Van. Van follows Kim and Pie with jealous eyes. A sudden gloom has surrounded the palace halls as dark clouds start to release droplets of rain.

--Notes

For a better look of what the characters are wearing, please see the costumes for the series The Tudors. Try to picture out Kim in King Henry's clothes while Pie in Anne Boleyn's.