Chapter 3: The Dragon and the Turtle

Me and my Prince-ss?

Damn wolf. Is this going to leave a scar?” Kim asked the royal physician. “It may leave a scar your highness, but we can put herbs on the wound that can help make it become less visible.” The royal physician answered as he puts bandages on Kim's wounds. “That girl, oh no.. After years of hiding and that one moment, it really caught me off-guard. I wonder if she's alright.” Kim thought to herself. “All done your highness.” The royal physician said as he handed Kim fresh clothes. “Thank you sir, can I have a moment with his highness?” Zee said as he entered the room. “Certainly, my lord.” The physician left the room. Zee locked the door. “Is the girl alright?” Kim asked Zee. “Kim, that girl is Princess Pie.” Kim's heart raced and her face turned pale. Zee pats Kim's head and said: “We don't need to worry for now. I think I convinced her to keep it to herself, but we'll need her full cooperation if this wedding is to continue. The fate of our kingdom and family rests on that wedding.” “I know, I understand that. I need to talk to her, I need to convince her to be my wife.” Kim said. “And you need to do it soon.” Zee added. Kim went back to her room and changed into her formal clothing. A red tunic with golden dragon patterns and a leather belt. A black fur coat to match the tunic and a pair leather brown boots. On her hips were her formal side arms. A double edged rapier with a black handle with a golden hilt and guard. Its blade was covered with a black scabbard with a golden dragon flowing on it. Kim stood up straight, her body poised itself as the monarch that she will soon be.

 

She's a girl. How can this be possible? Her looks, movements and heck, even the way she fights are all very manly. And they call her a prince.” Pie thought to herself. Pie never mentioned that she tried to escape, nor that her future husband is a girl. She feared that this may cause catastrophic consequences. She intends to the find out the deeper truth about Kim's identity. She puts on her white flowing dress, the traditional dress of her kingdom. Being an island nation, it was sleeveless. It revealed her fair, flawless skin. Her neck was exposed as well as a bit of her cleavage. She covered it with the necklace that her mother gave her as an engagement gift. The pendant was shaped like a turtle. The body was made with white gold while its eyes and shell were filled with tiny blue diamonds. Pie put on the white fur coat that was given by King Anapan. Pie poised herself as the princess she is. She puts aside the thought that her groom was a girl and concentrated on the evening feast. “After this night, I will learn the truth.” She said ti herself as she went outside the room.

 

It was almost sunset, the grand hall of the Phitaian palace was filling up. Guests were consisted of members of the royal families, lords and ladies from both kingdoms and from other kingdoms as well. Generals and high ranking officials were sipping wine as their wives chat about the latest gossips. It was almost time. The band stopped playing music when the trumpets sounded. It was an announcement that the royal family was coming. In the middle of the hall, seats and tables were placed for the immediate royal family. The bride and groom were seated together in the middle. “She's too handsome to be a girl.” Pie thought to herself as she looked at Kim. “This is going to be awkward.” Both Kim and Pie thought. Kim asked fro Pie's hand as she offered to her to their seat. Pie grabbed Kim's hand and Kim put Pie's hand on her arm. They walked carefully while the crowd was in awe with their presence. “A match made in heaven.” Some of them thought. They were both nervous and at same time, an awkward feeling was engulfing them both. Kim tried to loosen the tension by looking at Pie and smiling at her. It helped a bit as Pie suddenly felt a bit of comfort with Kim. At last, they reached the table. Kim pulled Pie's chair and helped her seat. When the the entire royal family was complete, the feast started and songs were played again by the band. Wine and food were delivered to the table. Pie and Kim did not speak. The only form of communication that they had were the awkward stares whenever they try to get a glimpse of each other. Alas, King Arkom and King Anapan stood up. The band stopped playing and the guests became silent.

King Anapan: “My dear countrymen, Vitharians and foreign guests, thank you for coming on this blessed evening. War has ravaged our lands for almost a century and many of us have lost loved ones. Tonight, we shall honor our lost loved ones and celebrate the unification of our kingdoms and our families.”

 

King Arkom: “We all hoped for this time to come, a time of peace and love. And speaking of love, let's all raise our glasses for our children, Prince Kim and Princess Pie who will be wed less than two months from now.” The guests raised their glasses, when suddenly, a lord bursted out. “Let the young lovers dance!” The rest of the guests all started to tease them as well. Both Kim and Pie blushed. Kim's father signaled her to ask Pie to dance. Kim was hesitant, she stood up and looked at Pie. She offered her hand to her and said “Shall we dance?” Pie turned red even more and her heart starts to beat double time. She took Kim's hand and stood up. They walked towards the center of the hall and the band played a waltz music. (Waltz of the Flowers)Kim grabbed Pie's waist and Pie puts her hand on Kim's shoulders. They tried to avoid eye contact. They started dancing...

Kim: “Thanks for not telling anyone.” Kim broke the silence.

Pie: “Let's just say it's a thank you for saving me from the wolf, or wolves and for rescuing me when I was drowning.” Pie answered coldly but she was dying of curiosity about Kim's secret.

Kim: “I know you're curious.”

Pie: “Eh? About what?”

Kim: “About my secret.”

Pie: “I am not! But you might as well tell me, I'll be your wife in less than two months.”

Kim: “So you're not going to cancel the wedding?”

Pie: “Of course not, I'm not stupid. But let's get one thing straight, I don't like you and this secret will cost you.”

Kim: “Alright, fair enough. What will it cost me?”

Pie: “I'll tell you later.”

 

Pie smiled secretly and Kim was left wondering though she felt relieved that Pie will keep her secret. They danced as if they were floating and the rest of the guests danced with them. The halls were filled with music and laughter. Kim felt a warm feeling of happiness and excitement as she and Pie danced. But beyond the shadows of the halls, a pair of eyes raged with jealousy. As the feast went on, eyes disappeared. The feast was later on called “The dance of the Dragon and the Turtle.”

 

 

Note:

The Dhiratvanian's sigil is a golden dragon. The mountains of Akhmi are believed to be the home of ancient dragons thousands of years ago because the caves were filled with large dragon skulls and gold. This has made Dhiratva the richest kingdom in the continent. Kim's ancestors found these caves and with the everlasting gold, they forged the kingdom of Dhiratva and took on the name Dairyu which means “Great Dragon'. Their sigil, the golden dragon on a field of red means that all great treasures comes with great price.

 

The Vitharian's sigil is the a blue turtle. It is believed that the Vatharians were the first people on earth. Legend has it that the great Turtle Island was a real turtle that supported and took care of the humans in the olden days. Pie's ancestors are believed to be one of the eldest humans who stayed on the island and thus forged Vithara. Pie's family took on the name Kurma, the name of the Great Turtle. Their sigil is a blue turtle on white field which means peace and purity.