Chapter 6: Through the Bleeding Woods Part 1

Me and my Prince-ss?

It's been three days.” Pie said to herself as she woke up and looked at the window. She got off her bed and took a warm bath. She then opened the door and saw the hallway filled with purple and white lilacs. “Good morning your highness.” A servant greeted Pie as he handed her a bouquet of stargazer lilies with red roses. On top of the bouquet there was a letter with a dragon seal. “Good morning!” Pie excitedly greeted the servant and took the bouquet. She smelled the sweet scent of the fresh roses and opened the letter:

 

Hello Princess! Thank you for the letter you sent me. I don't really know what I can possibly do that none of your suitors have ever done before, I hope this does not involve any haircuts because I don't want to go bald. Hehe.. And about the other issue, I'm not really sure what you're talking about but I'm willing to do anything to repay you, as long as it does not involve haircuts again. Hehe.. By the way, I sent you some flowers that you might be interested in. The purple lilacs symbolize the first emotions of love while the white lilacs represent youthful innocence. The roses symbolize love and the stargazers symbolize purity.. I chose them because those flowers clearly describe how I feel now, I hope you like them. By the way, the rebuilding is going smoothly and I may be able to come home by next week. How can I say this, well I really miss your smile and I can't wait to get home. Hehehe.. Please send my regards to your family. - Kimkhun

 

Pie's heart beats triple time and her cheeks were glowing red and her smile was undeniable. She lied down to her bed and secretly kissed the letter then hid it in a wooden box with the first letter that Kim sent her. She puts the bouquet in vase with water and placed them on the desk. She walked as if gliding and hummed as her feet sweep across the lilacs.

 

The eastern province is starting to look alive again. Houses are built, though not a lot, they are enough to shelter the families. The wells were cleaned and the farming lands have been planted with crops while the animals were fed until they are healthy again. The local town halls were rebuilt and were given enough gold to help each town become self sufficient. Kim's strategy has payed off. She's now starting pack her things and ordered the men to pack up their supplies. Kim's very excited to go home. The night before their departure, Kim and her lieutenants went to Yam's estate to bid farewell and to invite them to her wedding. “You're highness, we are very grateful about your help. The eastern province is regaining its former glory.” Lord Raavi thanked Kim as he bows his head to her. “I'm happy to help my lord.” Kim replied as he bowed back. “Your highness, if I may ask one last request from you..” Lord Raavi added. “Can you please take my daughter Yam with you in the city? I would really want her to have a better opportunity than just staying here. The court in the capital may fit her well, that is if it's alright with you your highness.” Kim smiled and said “Sure my lord, I would love to help.” Kim smiled. Yam was very happy to hear that and almost jumped for joy. Kim then bid farewell to them and was about to head back to her tent when suddenly, Lord Raavi offered her to sleep in their newly reconstructed home. Their estate was almost completely destroyed during the siege 3 years ago. Kim declined his offer and said that she preferred to sleep in her tent because it would be unfair to her men if she sleeps in a comfortable bed indoors. Lord Raavi understood Kim and bowed to her.

 

The day of the departure, everybody was getting ready for the journey home. Yam has arrived and greeted Kim. “Good morning your highness!” “Good morning Lady Yam.” Kim replied as she assisted Yam on the carriage. Everybody was ready and they all set out on their journey back. It would take 2 days before the arrive on Pitha. It was already getting dark when their party arrived in the Bleeding Woods. Kim has ordered the men to make camp on the highest ground and to create a perimeter with patrol guards and torches. The woods were known to be the home of bandits and dark creatures. Kim was uneasy and she tried her best to hide it by meddling with preparation of the food for the camp which annoyed the cook. Yam was surprised to see Kim cook and act a bit her age. Ever since she met Kim three years ago, she never saw Kim act like a teenager. She was always poised and cautious with her actions, she always acted beyond her age. She then remembered the first time she saw Kim.

(Flashback)

It was during the siege in the eastern province and Vitharians have already taken their land and imprisoned Yam and her family. They felt hopeless because the entire eastern army have been wiped out and there was no chance of rescue. One evening, she heard noises coming from outside the prison wall. She then heard footsteps outside her door, she felt fear for what was on the other side and then she covered her eyes with her hands. The door opened and she uncovered her eyes, she saw a boy, about the same age as she was yet he was wearing Dhiratvanian armor. “Come with me, you're safe now. We have your family and their safe too.” Said the boy as he offers his hand to her. She grabbed his and they walked out of the prison cell. By the time they reached the surface, her eyes were blinded by the sunlight but she saw red banners flowing on their burned estate. “Yam!” A woman's voice shouted, it was her mother. She then let go of the boy's hand and ran towards her mother and hugged her. When her eyes were clear, she looked for the boy in the armor. On the far end of their estate, she found the boy. She was walking towards him when suddenly, a man came to the boy and bowed. “Prince Kim sir, we have captured all Vitharian soldiers and released both civilian and military prisoners.” Said the man. “Thank you captain. Please send a messenger to the king to inform him about our victory. Also, please give care to our wounded soldiers to the wounded Vitharians. Help them with burying their dead as well.” Said the boy. Yam cannot believe her ears but it was true, the boy was the prince. When Kim turned around, she saw that she was wounded all over her arms and face, her left shoulder was bandaged. The prince saw her and said: “Hello there! How are you? There are physicians in the white tent, but if you're starving, the cook is preparing a meal. You can come with me, I haven't eaten yet.” Said Kim as she smiles at Yam. They went to the tent and ate. It was Kim's first campaign, she was very nervous and scared but she refused to show it. She is the youngest in the battalion so she asked the older generals for their guide. Yam was the only person her age that was around the camp so they talked a lot during their one month stay in the eastern border. Kim was reluctant to express herself to Yam because she was afraid that her true identity might be discovered. On the other hand, Yam was enticed by Kim's charms. Yam was saddened when the battalion was ordered leave the eastern provinces to defend the city of Pitha, she didn't even see Kim off. She has always hoped that Kim would come back to see her again.

 

(Present)

Kim has never been more afraid before this night. Nearing midnight, howls of unknown creatures echoed the forest. When everyone was asleep, a group dark creatures approached their camp and rained black arrows on them. Kim was suddenly awakened and then she drew her sword. The men were hysterical because they cannot see their enemies yet they were snatching one man after another into the shadows. Kim saw someone standing behind Yam so she rushed to grab her and tried to stab it but it disappeared. She gave Yam a dagger and hid her under the carriage and went to the supply cargo to grab the flares. She fired one flare and it lit up the sky. Dozens of black beings were surrounding them. Kim's fear has increased. She took a deep breath and looked at Pie's letter in her pocket. “I will come home to you Pie, no matter what.” She thought to herself. A sudden burst of courage flowed in her body as she orders her men into a battle formation. The cold breeze sweeps across the skin of the hunters and the hunted. As the night grows deeper, the moon seem to abandon the Dhiratvanians, while Kim armored herself with the will to come home to Pie.