Sunggyu - INFINITE

Imagination is Everything: Oneshot Request Shop [Busy]

B A B Y    B L U E    P R O P O S A L

Kim Sunggyu    |    Kang Hanbyul

requested by Abbie_Taing


 

"Hello."

 

"Gyu! You've fin-"

 

"Sorry I missed your call. Leave a message after the beep, and 'll try get back to you."

 

I sighed and flopped onto my bed. I looked at my phone.

 

It had been 4 days now. 4 days since I'd last talked to him. Whether it be online or his phone, he had cut all communication, and I hadn't been able to reach him.

 

"What did I do wrong?"

 

Was it something I said? Was it something I forgot? Was it something I did?

 

I grabbed the pillow to my left and buried my face into it, groaning. My phone rang and I jolted up, an eager smile on my face.

 

I grabbed it, only to sigh when I saw the caller.

 

"Hannie!"

 

"Uh? Oh, yeah?"

 

"...He still hasn't called you?"

 

I sighed into the phone, rolling onto my stomach. "No…"

 

"What are you gonna do about it?"

 

"I don't know." I let out a frustrated groan, flipping over onto my back. "He's a jerk." I mumbled.

 

I heard my friend laugh and I scowled. "At least I have boy problems. You should get a guy soon."

 

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

 

I could almost see her wave her hand dismissively.

 

"Say. Are you free today?"

 

"Hmmm…" I swung an arm over the side of my bed, turning over again.

 

"Oh, come on. You're obviously not seeing your boyfriend today, and in all seriousness, how many friends do you have? Like, what? Two? Including me. The other one being yourself."

 

"Hey! I have plenty o-" I sat up abruptly, effectively launching myself off the bed and onto the floor.

 

"Would you care to accompany me? Your oh-so-helplessly-forever-single friend?" She asked, ignoring the yelp from my undignified dive.

 

"Uh, today?" I said from my place on the floor.

 

"No, genius. Next year."

 

"I...guess…"

 

"Sweet! See you in 10! I'll pick you up. Be ready or I'm leaving without you!"

 

"Hey! You're the one wh-"

 

I stared at my phone in disbelief. "She hung up on me!"

 

Rolling my eyes, I rolled myself over to the wardrobe, standing up and swinging the doors open dramatically.

 

"What should I wear…"

 

* * * * * * * *

 

The mattress sunk under my weight as I jumped into bed, donning my baby blue pyjamas. I sighed in content as I cocooned myself within the covers. Having been dragged around the mall all day by my friend, I wanted nothing more than to sleep.

 

I looked at my phone, for a missed call, text message, or any form of notification from my boyfriend. I wrinkled my nose when the screen came up blank.

 

"Jerk." I blew a raspberry at the phone, before rolling my eyes and placing it beside my pillow.

 

I stared at the soft glow the lamp emitted, my eyelids eventually growing heavy with sleep. I felt myself slipping in and out of consciousness, letting out a yawn before closing my eyes.

 

I was rudely awaken from my light slumber by the doorbell, eyes flying open as I wondered how I had not yet died from a heart attack. Biting back my anger, I buried myself deeper into my comforter, trying to drown out the noise.

 

Go away.

 

The doorbell refused to recede, and instead, seemed to grow louder with every ring.

 

Shush. Come back tomorrow.

 

I growled in frustration.

 

Did you not hear me?

 

In my half-asleep state, my mind failed to process the fact that telepathy was, in fact, not possible...yet, and that the ignorant person standing at my door could not hear my thoughts.

 

Which would explain a few things.

 

When I finally succeeded in understanding the basics of communication, I threw the covers off in defeat,  stumbling my way to the door drunkenly.

 

I yanked it open, one eye closed and the other struggling to stay open. "What."

 

My face turned darker when I realised who was standing in front of me. "What." I said again.

 

Sunggyu looked at me awkwardly, scanning my attire. "Uh…" He blinked. "Did I...wake you up?"

 

"No, of course not. I've just started eating dinner." I rolled my eyes.

 

He rubbed the back of his neck. "Are you mad?" He asked tentatively.

 

"Gee, I wonder."

 

Spending the day with my friend had taught me a thing or two about sarcasm.

 

"I'm sorry, but I have a reason!"

 

"Oh really? And what might that be?"

 

He grabbed my wrist, pulling me out of the doorway. "Come. I'll show you."

 

In one smooth motion, he closed the door with his foot and slipped a blindfold over my eyes.

 

"Hey!" I cried in protest.

 

"Don't worry. I won't let go of you."

 

He laced his fingers with mine, slowly leading me forward. He would whisper words of reassurance every few seconds, one arm securely around my waist.

 

It would have been romantic, if not for the fact that I was as good as blind.

 

I scowled at him.

 

"I swear, if I trip, you are so dead."

 

* * * * * * * *

 

"Count to 20, and then you can open your eyes."

 

"Why?"

 

"You'll see. 20."

 

"20…19…18…"

 

"Zero!"

 

Gingerly, I lifted the blindfold, squinting to adjust to the light when I realised there was none. It was close to pitch-black, apart from the occasional shadow here and there.

 

"...Gyu…?"

 

I took a step forward. "H-hey...Gyu? Where are you?" I chuckled nervously, looking around for something. Anything.

 

"What kinda joke is this?"

 

Suddenly, my surroundings lit up. Simultaneously, little blubs flickered to life, illuminating the park I was standing in.

 

I was surrounded by colours of the rainbow, the trees dappled with soft glows of light. Each one was dim, but together in clusters, they shone brightly in the darkness of the night.

 

I let out a breath, a puff of white escaping my lips as I looked around dumbfounded. The iridescent lights danced amongst the trees as a slight breeze swept through them.

 

The pathway was lined with a single string of lights, creating a glowing path that led further into the park.

 

I took slow, careful steps forward, not daring to blink from fear it was all a dream. I drank in the scene, committing every light, every colour, every detail to my memory.

 

I stopped and froze with a sharp intake of breath. If the lights had been majestic, this was absolutely divine.

 

The lights had created an erratic pattern, diffused into soft hues on the water's surface. The fountain was engulfed in dancing reflections, standing tall and proud in the heart of the park.

 

From behind, a figure stepped out shyly, flowers in hand and a nervous smile on their face.

 

"Gyu…" My eyes started tearing. "I-It's beautiful."

 

"What's beautiful? The lights? The flowers?" He looked at me innocently. "Or me?"

 

I let out a strangled sort of laugh, smiling so hard it hurt. "Everything."

 

"Here." He held out the flowers. "For you."

 

I took them, the wrapper crinkling noisily.

 

"What's all this for?" Talking was the only way to stop myself from breaking down.

 

"First, though, are you still mad?" He looked at me with puppy eyes.

 

"Was this why you weren't talking to me?"

 

He nodded. "I was so nervous and excited, I was afraid I would accidently tell you. I wanted to surprise you."

 

I kissed the tip of his nose. "You did, Gyu...But, why?"

 

He bit his lip. "Do you know what day it is today?"

 

A feeling of dread spread through my body. My mind was blank.

 

"It's not your birthday, right?" I asked in horror. "I'm absolutely sure it passed just a few months ago."

 

"No, no. No birthdays." He reassured me.

 

I frowned, before realization kicked in. "It's our anniversary…" I whispered.

 

...Oops.

 

He smiled. "Hanbyul, we've been together for five years now. From the day I started liking you, to our first date together, to now, I've only been finding more and more reasons that you're the one for me. You make me fall in love with you everyday, and I want to continue falling for you, everyday of my life.

 

I know I'm not perfect, and there are a lot of things that I'm unsure of, like what our future holds. But I am sure of one thing."

 

He knelt down on one knee, pulling a small dark blue box out of his pocket. "And that's...I love you."

 

I covered my mouth with a hand, slapping back the ugly sobs, tears running freely down my cheeks.

 

He opened the box to reveal a ring.

 

"Hanbyul...Will you marry me?"

 

* * * * * * * *

 

Under the stars of the night sky, the park showered with the Cupid's blessings, Sunggyu proposed and I said 'yes'.

 

Only seven months later, on the day of our wedding when Sunggyu prepared another surprise, did I start regretting my decision.

 

As the slideshow replayed the proposal, in which he had sneakily (and unfortunately) recorded, I realised just how big of a mistake I had made in letting him drag me out of the house that night.

 

I had probably become the first woman in the world to be proposed to in the park…

 

...wearing baby blue pyjamas.