Kai - EXO

Imagination is Everything: Oneshot Request Shop [Busy]

C O N F E S S I O N    I N    T H E    S N O W

Kim Jongin    |    Choi Minah    |    ft. Kim Junmyeon

requested by typicalkpopaddict


 

Kai's POV

 

Unknowingly, day by day, I started waiting for her. I eyed my laptop continuously, waiting for the dot beside her name to turn green.

 

At first, I really could not care less. It was a stupid thing I'd let Suho talk me into doing. Or rather, force me into doing.

 

It wasn't that I wasn't interested in girls. Believe me, I'm straight. But I just didn't think one was only happy when they found their other half.

 

I reckoned I was doing perfectly fine by myself.

 

I told Suho I'd consider dating, which, was a big fat lie. If I was destined to have a lover, then let it come.

 

And then he decided to force me to date? That was a little overboard.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

"Wait. You've never ever ever dated before?!" Suho gawked.

 

I nodded slowly, not understanding what the big deal was.

 

"Not even one girl?!"

 

"Yes!" I let out an exasperated sigh. "So what?"

 

"So what? So what?! You're asking me what the problem is?! You. Have. Never. Dated. That's what!"

 

I rolled my eyes, waving his face out of mine dismissively. I reached for my laptop, only to have it snatched from right under my nose.

 

"Hey!" I lunged for my laptop, but Suho ran out of my room before I could grab him.

 

"I'm doing this for your own good!" He laughed as he did who knows what on my laptop, nimbly jumping down my stairs.

 

How he managed to stay on two feet, I did not know.

 

"What are you doing?!" I hollered at the top of my lungs.

 

Suho was nice. Undeniably nice. He thought about us before himself. But sometimes, his ideas got a little out of hand.

 

Once, when I was coming down with a little cold, he made me some health drink, saying he learnt it off one of his friend's cousin's friend. It smelt like old socks, and looked like puke. But he looked so hopeful I couldn't refuse to waste it.

 

I ended up getting food poisoning.

 

Suho raced into the bathroom, the door slamming dangerously close to my face.

 

"You could've broken my nose!" I shouted through the door.

 

"It's okay! You don't have anyone to impress anyway." He retorted.

 

I growled and pounded on the door.

 

He giggled. "But you will soon."

 

I stopped creating a racket, trying to digest what he'd said.

 

"Wait. What?" I pressed my ear against the door, in hopes of working out just what he was doing with my laptop. I tried squinting through the key hole.

 

"Are you trying to find blackmail material?" I asked him. "Cause you won't find any! I've password locked all my folders."

 

"Nope. I copied them all down before you did that." He shot back.

 

"What?! Are you kidding me?!" I resumed my banging on the door. "Suho!"

 

"Just a sec!"

 

"No! Kim Junmyeon! Open the door right n-"

 

The door opened to reveal Suho with an impish grin on his face. He handed me my laptop proudly, dusting his hands for dramatic effect.

 

"There. All done. Now you just wait for the requests to roll in. Sit back. Relax. And...enjoy."

 

He looked up at me expectantly as I scanned the laptop screen. With each passing second, my eyes grew wider.

 

"Well? Well? What do you think? You like it?" Suho chuckled.

 

"You've got to be kidding me…" I muttered under my breath.

 

On the screen staring back at me, was a dating site. And even worse, Suho had made me my very own personal account. How sweet of him.

 

Not.

 

"Suho!" I screeched. Immediately, he ran off.

 

"You'll thank me later!" He said gleefully.

 

I set down the laptop and stormed towards him.

 

"Seriously?! JonginnieMouse? Is that the best name you could come up with?! What am I doing? Trying to find my Mickey Mouse?!"

 

"So...you're not okay with your name...but you're okay with this whole idea?" He asked hopefully.

 

"No, I am not!"

 

Suho pouted from where he was hiding behind the couch. "Just give it a try! What do you even have to lose?!"

 

I groaned in frustration, rubbing my temples with my fingers.

 

"My sanity…"

 

* * * * * * * *

 

To be completely honest, the idea of online dating sites kind of disgusted me. The girls were willing to spend a night with a complete stranger just for money. They flirted and talked quite...let's say, bluntly.

 

But for the sake of Suho's 'good' deed, I begrudgingly decided to give the site a try. It was a half-hearted attempt to meet people, but enough to satisfy Suho's wishes all the same.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

As he stood behind me, 'supervision', he'd said, I accepted all the requests I'd gotten over the few days.

 

"You can't just go accepting everyone! Otherwise your true lover will think you're a player! And then you two will never meet! And you'll stay single forever!" He exclaimed.

 

"Okay." I simply said.

 

I kept accepting the requests.

 

"No! Stop! You are so frustr-"

 

He froze when I turned around to glare up at him.

 

"Or do you not want me to accept anyone?"

 

"It's okay...go back to...whatever you were doing."

 

I nodded in satisfaction, before clicking on my most recent request. I moved to click the 'accept' button, but stopped when I noticed there was something different.

 

Her profile picture wasn't revealing. Her 'About Myself' facts weren't anything related to...well...that kinda stuff. Her friend request wasn't a request for a one night stand. It was, in all simplicity, just...a friend request.

 

[New friend request]

MinAhbooboo143

Hiya! I can see you like dancing!

So do I! I really really love to dance. (:

Let's be friends!

 

Accept                Ignore

 

Slowly, a smile made its way onto my face. I liked the impression she gave me.

 

Someone genuine, nice and friendly.

 

For the first time since I'd been on this dating site, I clicked 'Accept' whole-heartedly.

 

* * * * * * * * *

 

"What makes her so different from everyone else?"

 

Suho watched as I adjusted my collar for the nth time in 10 minutes from his place on my bed.

 

I eyed his small figure in the bottom right of my mirror. "I don't know. She's just...let's say...intriguing. She's interesting."

 

Actually, I knew exactly why.

 

Part of it was because of our shared passion for dancing. Within minutes of accepting her request, she had eagerly struck up a conversation about dancing with me, despite the fact that we were complete strangers.

 

From there, we got to know each other better, talking about trivial things about ourselves.

 

Part of it was because it was always easy talking to her. She was always willing to listen whenever no one else was. We shared our troubles, fears and worries. We never worried about being judged by the other.

 

Slowly, we developed a stronger friendship, trust and understanding becoming the foundation.

 

But it was somewhere along the development of our strange but sturdy relationship behind the screens of our laptops that I started getting those feelings.

 

I started to think that maybe this time, Suho's idea wouldn't turn out to be a failure. Maybe he was right.

 

She was different.

 

And I'd fallen for her.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

"Ask her out."

 

I choked on my juice, hitting my chest with a closed fist.

 

 "W-what?" I managed to splutter.

 

Suho smiled. "You heard me. Ask her out."

 

"No!"

 

"Why not?"

 

"Cause!" I tried to reason. "Cause...cause it's just weird."

 

"For goodness sake, Kai. This is a dating site. You're supposed to ask people out."

 

"But...this is different!"

 

Why didn't he get it?

 

"What's different? What do you have to lose this time?"

 

I glanced briefly at my laptop screen, where a certain someone had just come online. My heart skipped a beat.

 

"My friendship…"

 

* * * * * * * *

 

Minah's POV

 

I looked up at the sign outside the café again, triple checking I had the right address. Pushing the door open, the warmth from inside greeted me, and I shuffled off towards an empty table beside the window.

 

It was snowing lightly, the ground coated with a thin, white layer. I watched as the hurried pedestrians left footsteps embedded in the snow.

 

"Miss, can I take your order, please?"

 

I averted my gaze from the window to the waiter standing patiently at my table, bearing a warm smile.

 

"O-oh. Yes. Sorry. Um, one hot chocolate please. And…"

 

I bit my lips. This was one of the only things I didn't know about him. Did he like coffee? Or did he like something simple? Did he even want something warm?

 

Settling for the safest answer, I smiled at the waiter. "Actually, make that two hot chocolates."

 

She nodded and walked away, leaving me alone at the table. I looked out the window, my lips automatically rising as I watched the snow flutter down softly.

 

A lone figure appeared in the corner of my eye, their hands deep within their pockets and their scarf obscuring most of their face. They turned around slightly, and I could make out a guy around my age. His breath fogged up in the air, his cheeks a rosy red.

 

Despite the cold, he stopped in his tracks, closing his eyes and lifting his head slightly towards the sky. He stayed like that for a minute, soaking in the light snow fall.

 

I was intrigued. There was something about him that drew me in. I kept my gaze on him, watching his every movement.

 

He opened his eyes, pulling his scarf down to reveal his lips and jaws. He took a hand out of his pocket and extended it in front of him, watching as the snow landed in his open palm. He smiled softly, and I found myself also smiling at the sight.

 

He was so...pure and innocent.

 

I felt my heartbeats quicken when he walked into the café. The very one that I was in.

 

He walked gracefully and with poise, lightly dusting off his shoes on the welcome mat before he stepped in.

 

His steps were soft and light, save for the slight squeak of wet shoes against tiles.

 

He would make a great dancer.

 

I like dancers.

 

I looked out the window again, trying to divert my attention.

 

I didn't come to the café for some random guy that made my heart beat faster, just by standing there and admiring the snow.

 

I came with a purpose. I came to meet someone I had known for a year now, but still hadn't seen personally.

 

"Excuse me?"

 

My breathing hitched. I was vaguely aware that he was talking to me. His voice was angelic.

 

I tore my eyes off the snow and looked at him. "Y-yes?"

 

I felt my cheeks redden, and I hoped he would think it was just the cold.

 

"Are you...Minah?"

 

"S-s-sorry?" I stupidly said.

 

The way he said my name, the word rolling right off his tongue, and how he stressed each syllable equally and carefully...I loved it.

 

He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly.

 

"Are you Choi Minah?"

 

I nodded, lost for words.

 

"I'm Kai." He smiled.

 

In that moment, everything around him seemed to blur.

 

The very person I was close to falling for, was the very one I was meeting up with today.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

"The park?" I laughed. "In this weather?"

 

Kai nodded eagerly, leaning forward on his elbows.

 

"Please? I thought you liked the park!" He looked at me with large, doe eyes.

 

"I-I do, bu-"

 

"Then it's settled! We're going to the park!"

 

Before I could say anything else, he stood up and grabbed my hand. He pulled me up onto my feet and dragged me outside the café.

 

"K-Kai! It's cold!" I tried to protest, but honestly, I wanted to go to the park as well.

 

It had been so long since I last went. And going when it was snowing? It was a first.

 

He stopped dragging me, letting go of my hand. For a moment, I was afraid I had somehow upset him. But all he did was remove his scarf and wrap it around my neck.

 

As I stood there, speechless, he stepped back to admire his work.

 

He nodded in satisfaction. "It looks good on you."

 

Reaching for my hand again, he entwined our fingers. "But then again, I think anything would look good on you."

 

He smiled, tugging me along in the direction of the park.

 

I bit my lip, trying to calm the butterflies in my stomach. Whatever cold that I had been feeling before had disappeared. His kindness, his words, his smile, his hand holding mine. He had made me warm again.

 

Although I knew it was useless, I told my heart to stop beating so quickly. At this rate, I was going to die from a heart attack.

 

I buried my cheeks into Kai's scarf, thankful it was already warm from his body heat. It had his scent, and I blushed when I remembered how he had put it around my neck.

 

Kai...I think I've fallen for you…

 

* * * * * * * *

 

We sat on the swings in silence, soaking in the peaceful atmosphere. The snow continued falling, leaving white everywhere it landed. The park glowed softly from the reflections of light, and some parts of the playground seemed to sparkle.

 

I swung my legs back and forth slowly, playing with the snow with the tip of my shoe. I drew whatever my feet felt like drawing. When I stopped, I realised it was a messily scribble 'Kai'.

 

I stared at it for a while.

 

Do I really like you?

 

There was no doubt he was strikingly handsome and kind. He was childish and manly at the same time, bringing a little freshness and fun into my life, yet making me feel safe and protected when he was around. He cared for me, and thought about what I needed before I voiced them.

 

He was kind, caring, sweet, fun, charming, manly, handsome. What more could I ask?

 

With my shoe, carefully, I drew a heart around his name.

 

Yes.

 

I had only just met him, but that was only physically. We'd talked nearly everyday for the past year, just not face-to-face.

 

He knew pretty much everything about me, from my sleeping habits, to how much sugar I liked in my coffee. But now there was one exception.

 

He didn't know I liked him.

 

A pair of arms wrapped themselves around me, jolting me out of my thoughts. Their broad chest pressed against my back, nuzzling their face into my hair.

 

"What are you thinking about?" His voice was almost a whisper, as if he didn't want to disturb the silence in the snow-covered park.

 

Kai. Was. Hugging. Me.

 

"N-n-n-nothing!" I stuttered.

 

Regaining my senses, I realised Kai's name was still in the love heart down at my feet, visible for everyone to see.

 

Visible for Kai to see.

 

Chuckling nervously, I erased the drawing with my shoe, hoping he hadn't seen it yet.

 

"You smell nice." He murmured into the top of my head.

 

Slowly, I let myself relax in his embrace. As much as I wanted to hug him back, it would mean turning around and hugging him from an awkwardly twisted position.

 

And if that happened, I was afraid he would let me go. I wanted him to hold me forever.

 

Maybe I had a chance. Maybe he liked me too.

 

"Kai," I started.

 

At that same moment, as quickly as  I realised what had happened, I felt something cold and wet slide down my back. Letting out a shriek, I stood up, squirming around from discomfort.

 

"You did not just put ice down my shirt!" I gaped at him.

 

Kai grinned. "Sorry, but it was just too tempting."

 

"It's okay." I bent down slowly. "As long as I get a turn!"

 

I ran after him with a handful of snow to put down his clothes, yelling his name and telling him to slow down for me.

 

On the outside, I laughed for him. But really, I was hurt. Had the back hug just been a joke? Had it just been a distraction? Was it just part of his prank?

 

I knew it wasn't his intentions, and that it was just my own foolishness, but he had hurt me. He'd given me false hopes.

 

But I didn't have the heart to angry at him. How could I blame him when he was smiling and laughing so brightly? How could I blame him when he was just a child at heart, trying to ease whatever tension there was between us?

 

His happiness was precious, and for me to have been the source of it was enough to fulfil me.

 

He was too dear for me, and pretty much anyone, to have ill feelings towards.

 

Realising I had stopped chasing him, Kai stopped and turned around, cocking his head.

 

"What's wrong?" He asked.

 

I shook my head. "Nothing."

 

"Really?"

 

"Yeah...it's just…" I sighed.

 

He walked closer to me until he was standing in front of me. He placed his hands on my shoulders, lifting my chin so I was looking at him.

 

"Minah? What's wrong? Just talk to me like we always do."

 

I gazed back at him for a while, before abruptly breaking off eye contact. Swiftly, I grabbed the back of his collar and let go of the snowball I had been holding in my hand down his shirt.

 

"Ah, cold! Cold! Cold!" He yelped.

 

He arched his back, nose twitching as he tried to control his facial features.

 

I laughed, taking small steps back as I watched him.

 

"Sorry, but it was too tempting." I .

 

I ran off, squealing when he took off after me. His legs were longer than mine, and he easily caught up to me. In one smooth motion, he swept me up off my feet, arms around my waist and legs.

 

"You thought you'd get away?" He smirked, his warm breath tickling my face.

 

I looked up at him with wide unblinking eyes. I found that I couldn't tear my gaze away from him.

 

Specks of falling snow landed on his long lashes. His eyes were captivating, the dark brown orbs staring deep into me, almost as if he could see right into my soul.

 

"Minah," He started after a while. "I think I-"

 

Whatever he was thinking was cut short when he tripped on an invisible rock. We fell to the ground in a tangle of limbs, caked in a thin layer of snow.

 

I let out a slight chuckle.

 

"Are you okay?" I asked Kai, when I was sure I was alive.

 

I raised my head, only to freeze when I noticed our close proximity. His hands were on either side of me, face hovering dangerously close to mine.

 

My eyes focused on his lips, baby pink in colour and slightly chapped.

 

I wonder what it would feel like if I...

 

Before I knew what I was doing, I had leaned in to peck him lightly on the lips. It was quick and brief, but it sent warmth to every inch of my body.

 

When my brain finally registered my actions, I raised a hand to my lips in shock. I blinked rapidly, flustered and embarrassed.

 

My heart was thumping in my chest, and I was afraid I would pass out any second.

 

I couldn't bring myself to look at his eyes. My gaze jumped from his chin to his ear to his chest to his neck.

 

Anywhere but his eyes.

 

"S-s-sorry...I don't k-know what got into me. B-but...I think...I-I might l-like you-"

 

Kai placed a finger on my lips, silencing my messy confession. "Shhh."

 

I finally mustered enough confidence to look at him. He gazed back at me.

 

"As I was saying," His voice was soft and husky. "I think I like you too."

 

And this time, it was his turn to lean in for the kiss.