Introductions

Torn

 

 

3 more hours before it’s 6 in the evening, time’s ticking too fast… damn it… please, let time slow down to a stop!

 

“Dear, are you alright?” his mom broke his daze from the clock at the wall, “Oh… y-yeah mom, I’m fine” he smiled forcefully but Dara eyed him out in which he gave a smug look “If you ask me mom, he’s tensed up with his first meet with his fiancé”

 

Ji’s eyes widened “What…? No! Stop spouting nonsense!” Dara moved away from him and both their parents giggled, “Stop hiding it, you’re scared and you know it” she stuck out her tongue and Ji pouted, “Why you!”

 

At the midst of their bonding, Ji’s dad took their mom’s attention with a light nudge. “Is there something wrong dear?” he shook his head, “It’s been a while since we’ve last seen them fight like that and you know it’s how they express their love” she snickered.

 

“Yes, I’ve missed this moments we have as a complete family, but once Jiyong gets married…” the smile faded from her face, “Once he marries Choi’s son, he’ll have a committed life with him. He’ll be more focused on him rather than us” he shook his head at her thought.

 

“You know Jiyong; he would never set us aside. Besides, even if he’s all out committed with his husband, I know we will always have that same ol’ spot we have in his heart” her smile was brought back at the encouragement, “You’re right…” she looked at the two siblings, “He never forgets his family”

 

After an hour and a half, “Jiyong dear, you should prepare for your meet up” she disrupted his concentration on his game at the phone, “It’s still a bit early mom, let me stay here for a little longer” he momentarily paused the game, “Oppa, just leave already, you wouldn’t want your husband… kept waiting for you wouldn’t ya?” she teased and Ji grumbled.

 

“Your sister’s right, you better get going” he sighed and dropped both his arms, “So you guys are going to make me an outcast for the sake of that meet up?” he whined, “You know what we mean, now get going. I’ve heard he’s a good man, you’ll be fond of him”

 

“The last time I’ve seen oppa get fond of someone was in high school but back then it was girls he liked though” Ji crossed his arms and gave Dara a smug look “So… what of it?” he retorted, “You can save your cat and dog fight some other time, so get yourself all fixed up and we’ll take good care of your dad from here”

 

“But… mom…” he tried but a stern look on her face meant there’s no chance in winning. “Mom’s right, better get ready for your hubby!” he rolled his eyes and got up, “Have a wonderful dinner with him” his dad said with a smile. “I’ll… try” he meekly said.

 

“Oh, by the way dear, here” his mom walked over and gave him some keys, “What’s this?” he eyed the item. “It’s for your car and I’ve taken the liberty in providing you with a spare just in case, you know that you sometimes lose stuff like this” she patted his shoulder and gave him a light peck on the forehead.

 

“Toddles” she sent him off and behind her was his dad’s encouraging grin and his sister’s playful smile.

 

I wish, that this arrangement didn’t happen… because one thing I’ll regret here is… I wouldn’t be able to present you the person I would love the most, because of this… I will… be forced to get along with the person I’ll be spending my life with.

 

At a short moment, a flashback of Seung Ri rushed inside his head. A wave of thought at their time spent together that evening. It made his heart flutter and his heart beat wildly.

 

For a few minutes he got to the apartment building and parked the car at the lot, “Why… did I suddenly thought of him… we hardly knew each other but this sensation… it’s so… magnificent” he continued to bask in the thought of it, how his senses felt Seung Ri’s as if he was there.

 

He’s… definitely something” he chuckled to himself and then he realised that he was already in front of his door. He cleared his head and then placed in the passcode. Once finished, he took off his shoes and then got his wallet from the secret compartment at the rack, “You are not going to leave my pockets anymore” he scolded his wallet.

 

“I knew you were nuts but this is a whole new level” a voice spoke, he quickly looked at who it was. “Yah! Daesung! What’re you doing here!? Do you know that coming here without the owner’s permission is a crime!?” he yelled, “Geez Ji, you don’t have to get yourself all fired up just because I came here unannounced” he rolled his eyes.

 

He placed his shoes at the rack and took his slippers, “Of course I’m pissed with this, because of you I ran out of groceries last night! Do you know that what you’re doing is very frustrating?” he looked away from Ji with an irritating look in his face.

 

“That’s only natural, you know that I’m the only one who keeps you company here. By the way, how’s your dad?” he shifted the discussion, “He’s fine if that’s all you’re here for” he shot out a breath and marched towards the kitchen for something to drink.

 

Daesung trailed him, “I’m glad he’s fine… so, what’s going inside that head of yours? Usually when you’re ticked off with me, you tend to nag till my ears bleed” he peered at the kitchen. After he finished drinking, he looked at him with a questioning look “What do you mean?”

 

“Oh, please Ji… I’ve known you ever since you’ve set foot in this apartment. You know what I mean” he folded his arms and Ji wanted to evade the question, he was somewhat afraid of telling people that he’s been arranged to marry someone.

 

“We’ll… it’s just that… I…” he tried to open up but it just wouldn’t come out of his mouth, Dae sighed and walked towards him, “Let’s sit down and talk this over, I know that this is something you’re not going to tell me as long as I don’t dig my way in” he placed his arm around Ji’s neck.

 

He looked at Dae in the eye with a narrow look, “You’re really not going to make this easy for me huh?” he earned a smile, “Nope, not a single moment of it” he grinned widely. They then walked their way towards the living room and Ji was certainly not eager to get there.

 

They then sat adjacent on his couch with Dae’s expectation of what’s going on, “Can we at least set this aside let’s say… uhm… somewhere around… next week or so? ‘Cause I really think this just a trivial thing~” he didn’t continue when he heard him clear his throat.

 

“Fine…” he smirked triumphant “I’m… I’m getting married” Dae’s eyes nearly jumped out of their sockets, “W…H…A…T!” he surprisingly yelled, “You didn’t have to scream like that in from of me seesh…”

 

“What the hit that head of yours that you decided to marry someone without telling me… what…. you haven’t been dating behind my back haven’t you?” he looked at him suspiciously, “What… no… listen~” he was cut off, “This is really peculiar…” he tapped his chin.

 

“You always told me that your dream is to find that right person before you marry and what… this? Humf… since when did you start hiding something this important? Have I pissed you off or something? Have I done something that you didn’t like that you hid this valuable event from me?” he was starting to over react that Ji just slouched and watched him go on.

 

“I’ve been there for you when you were just coping with your life here and this is the thanks I get with my so called best friend? You’re a despicable man KWON JIYONG! Do you think you’ll be blessed with what you did? Did you think that deceiving your friends would benefit you greatly? That’s it, I’ve had it… I’ll never speak with you again!” he turned his back on him.

 

Ji waited for ten seconds before he huff a breath, “Done?” he asked and no reply from the other, “Sometimes I wonder how I survive your nags… anyways…” he got up “This marriage… is nowhere near my wildest imagination… it’s an arrangement made by my dad and my uncle, long story short. I’m collateral for helping the company…” it shocked Daesung and left him speechless.

 

He slowly faced his friend and saw the serious look as he continued to speak up, “Although it was against my will and also my pride to not carry on with my belief, I… didn’t had the choice to back out… many people would be affected if I let myself look at the situation blindly” tears began to form in his eyes.

 

“I’ve… done all the things that I’ve wanted but a single and most important thing was left and I… I didn’t have any strength and persistence to make it come true, just because of what happened to my dad’s business… just because I saw my dad crumble down before me that I couldn’t reject this”

 

The dam broke and tears went rushing down, even though he told himself and his family that he was alright with the marriage, deep inside, he wasn’t mentally and emotionally prepared. Daesung stood up and wrapped him inside a warm and tight embrace; he eased his back and hushed his crying.

 

“All I wished for… was to choose my life’s course… but in the end, I’d end up being forced to something… that I’ll never appreciate” he clenched his fists on Dae’s shirt as he was still comforted. “I’m sorry… I shouldn’t have asked about this, I’m really… sorry”

 

 

Meanwhile

 

Seunghyun was on his way to the meeting place, it was his family’s hotel. His dad informed him that they’d meet at the dining hall of the Dynasty hotel, he took a look at his watch and it was about 5:30 in the evening.

 

“This dickhead better not be late, I don’t plan on waiting for an upstart brat” he hissed as he drove down the streets.

 

When he got there, he was greeted by the staff. He didn’t bother looking at any of them, even if he was the heir of the hotel, he didn’t gave sympathy towards the workers. For him, if you don’t work, you shouldn’t set foot here. He was strict and he didn’t want any bellboy or some receptionist become friendly with him.

 

“Know your place” is what he had always reminded the others. He went straight to the dining hall and sat at the well decorated table that he and his fiancé were to use. “One thing’s for sure here… dad’s all worked up about this dumb that he even asked them to make this meet up a doozy

 

For a while, he kept himself busy with his phone. He received a few texts and a couple of missed calls from Tae, since he’s eager to know what’s happening with his meet up.

 

When he finally felt that his special guest was still not there and it had already been 7 in the evening, he thought that he waited only for nothing. “Well… this dip isn’t facing me, I guess this marriage is going down the drain” he was about to stand up and leave but all of a sudden, one of the staff came with a tired guy with plain clothes.

 

The guy was still panting and had his head lowered, “He came in running sir and he says that he was here to meet with you” he took a closer look at the guy, “Are you sure it’s me he’s looking for? I mean, just look at the way he’s dressed so ill… what cheap guy would enter a five star hotel?” he said in a mocking tone.

 

“Yah! Is there any way to treat people? Are you that obnoxious?” he then finally brought his head into view, “You dirty piece of~” he stopped as he saw Seunghyun’s face. “YOU!” they spoke in unison, “Who gave you permission to get inside this place?” he told Ji, “You’re the last night weren’t you? You damn head, are you also going to ruin my Christmas day?!”

 

People that were at the dining hall started to look at the both of them, “Uh… master Choi, I don’t think this is appropriate for the guests here” he reminded, “If you have nothing else to do here you scumbag, then leave! You already don’t have the poise to even present yourself decently, what more with this ill manner you’re displaying!”

 

“What?! Excuse me…” he folded his arms, “Based on what I can see here, you’re lower than what I am. Although I’m not appropriately dressed for this place, I’m not the one who steps down on people” he retorted. “You have got to be kidding… just take the look at yourself, plain white long sleeve with baggy looking old pants with an old looking pair of sneakers and an odd looking hair colour? Wow… I must’ve been inside a cave to not take that as a low class style”

 

Ji somehow lost his cool there, “Why you… are you picking for a fight? I won’t back out of that” he popped his knuckles while the staff continued to think of way to stop them from clashing.

 

“Alright you two, break it up. I wouldn’t want this dining hall to turn into an arena”  a voice interrupted them, “Uh… sir” the staff bowed “Go back to your post, I’ll handle these two” he walked over them as they both stopped themselves from landing a fist onto each other’s faces.

 

“Jiyong, it’s finally good to see you. I’ve missed you so much” he embraced him in a tight way, “Uh… I’m glad to see you too uncle”. Uncle… wait… who is this guy exactly, Seunghyun asked himself.

 

When Ji got free from the embrace, Chairman Choi placed his arm around both of them and looked at their expressions. “I see you’ve met my son, don’t worry, I’ll inform the staff here to know who you are so in case you go here with simple clothes they wouldn’t judge you”

 

“D-Dad… who is this guy?” he finally asked, “Oh, right… I was so fond of making this whole meet up surprising that I forgot to even give you a photo of him” Seunghyun raised a brow while Ji still stayed silent at the matter.

 

“Let me clear up the introductions so that you guys wouldn’t tear each other’s necks apart, son, he’s Kwon Jiyong, your uncle Kwon’s son and Ji, this is my one and only son, Choi Seunghyun…” with that both of them froze and their minds rushing with disbelief, “Now that you’ve both gotten introduced with each other, let’s discuss about your wedding preparations” he smiled from ear through ear while the two remained unfazed.

 

This has got to be a nightmare… this guy? Of all people that can be arranged to marry me, why does it have to be this God damned head?

 

No… no… please… kill me, kill me… wait… no, kill him! Please, anybody, anyone! Help me… just please kill that ing bastard before my life turns into a total mess!