Arrangement

Torn

Jiyong’s heart was beating widely, fear rose in the instance when he heard the news from his sister. Seung Ri was worried at the way he looked, he didn’t heard the detail from him but based on how he reacted, it didn’t mean that everything’s fine.

 

After a few minutes of driving all the way towards the hospital that his sister said, with blood rushing inside of him and a tremble that didn’t ceased ever since they made their way.

 

“Don’t worry, it’ll be fine” he wanted to enlighten him even just a little, a soft smile cracked but it didn’t last though. They then got the nurse’s station and asked what room his dad was, once they got the ER number, they didn’t waste a second and rushed towards it.

 

At the front door of the room, Jiyong stilled for a moment, frozen in his place as he didn’t want to enter and blame himself for what had happened.

 

“Ji, you don’t have to worry so much. You haven’t seen him and you don’t know the whole detail of what happened. Don’t blame yourself for nothing until you’ve got the whole thing cleared up, besides I’m here with you” in the midst of accusing himself for the incident, Ri’s smile and words became a small pillar.

 

“Thank you, I’ve troubled you more than enough and… I don’t how to thank you so much~” Ri patted his shoulders, “Hey, were friends aren’t we?” smiling brightly.

 

Ji opened the door slowly and the sight of the bed became visible, his eyes was beginning to get wet the moment he lets go of the door knob. When he finally opened it up, “Oppa!” his sister immediately stood from the seat beside the bed and went towards him for an embrace.

 

“Ji…” was all his mom could muster up to say, “Wh-what happened?” he dreaded to ask. “Your dad’s fine dear, but with what happened with the talk the both of you had. It made him feel bad about himself that his blood pressure raised. Luckily he didn’t experienced a ”

 

Carefully he walked towards the bed where his dad is sleeping, “I tried calling you and texting you all night about it but you just didn’t respond, where were you?” she asked, “Sorry… I deliberately ignored the calls and text at thinking that dad wanted to talk about it again”

 

“I think that~ oh…” she stopped when the door opened again and Seung Ri got half of himself in, she looked at him intently. “Ugh… is there something we can help you with?” she questioned. “Oh… I forgot to invite him in, he’s… a friend I met earlier, his name is Seung Ri, he helped me got here”

 

When he got inside, he smiled a little at both Ji’s sister and mother and then after also bowed, “I’m sorry if I tagged along though” Ji’s mom shook her head, “No dear, it’s fine, thank you for helping Jiyong get here. It must have been quite a trouble for you to drive all the way here at this time of the night and also in such occasion”

 

“Oh… no, mam, it’s fine… I presented to take him here since it’s an emergency. I just wanted to help him out” Dara raised her brow at the way he looked, well he wasn’t unusual but there was a certain appeal to her that she couldn’t quite point out.

 

“Dara dear, could you get these two something warm to drink, it must’ve been cold outside when you came” she nodded and didn’t spoke but before she left, her eyes never left Seung Ri and he happened to feel that close stare at him.

 

“So, Seung Ri was it?” he shrugged the thoughts of Dara’s look at him and gave his attention to Ji’s mom, “Yes mam?”

 

“I’m so thankful that you’ve given time to help out Jiyong here, so please take a seat” she offered the seat beside Jiyong, “Mom, you can go to the hotel now. You can take Dara too, you guys need to rest after your flight here, and I’ll take care of dad” feeling that Jiyong was going through a certain phase is his life, she didn’t bother to resist her son’s request.

 

“Alright dear, we’ll get here first thing in the morning” she went to the side and get her purse “I’ll go and wait for Dara after she brings you your drinks” he smiled at her and whispered a thank you, “And mom” she paused, “Merry Christmas” he forced out a smile, “You too dear” and took a glimpse of Ri "Merry Christmas to you as well" she warmly spoke, "You too mam" 

 

“So… this was some Christmas” he spoke after she got out, “I know, but still, I’m relieved and thankful nothing complicated happened. If it were to be something dire, I wouldn’t know what to do” he took one last look on his father before he averted towards Seung Ri.

 

“I haven’t given my thanks, so thank you… you’ve done more than just a small help after we met” he patted Ji’s shoulder once again, “That’s nothing, a friend’s a friend right?” finally a real smile came out of Ji’s face after a while.

 

“I’ve taken much of your time, you should rest too. You’ve done too much, you deserve a relaxing evening” he looked at him straight in the eyes, “I don’t know, if I’ve done much but… yeah, honestly, I’m rather bushed, but don’t worry… if you’d like I could take you back to your place tomorrow or something” he offered and he couldn’t help but to smile at the kindness.

 

“Don’t think I’m shutting you out, my mom can drive us to my place once she comes back tomorrow so there’s nothing to worry about with transportation” Ri chuckled, “Okay then, can I…” a small hesitation “Have your number? I mean… just to get in touch once things are fine”

 

“Sure, that’ll be great” he pulled out his phone and gave it to him and same goes with Ji, “Place your number there and save it” he nodded. Once the exchange of numbers was done, “So, I guess this is goodbye then” Ri stood and Ji then followed.

 

“No it ain’t, it’s just later. So I’ll see ya later then” he offered a handshake and Ri took a look before he grabbed and gave a shake, “See you soon” at that very moment, Dara came in unannounced. She stood there seeing his brother and the new guy holding each other’s hands and although it was obvious that it was just a handshake, something felt odd.

 

“Here, something for you guys to drink” she moved closer and they both let go. “Thanks” Ri smiled at her when he received the drink and Ji ruffled her hair like a dog, “Knock it out oppa!” she pouted “Thanks now get going. If you don’t get your sleep you get cranky” she slid out her tongue and turned away.

 

“See you tomorrow oppa” when she left, Ri took one close look at Ji’s face from the side. Time slowed down at that point. Every detail of Ji’s face was there for his eyes to look at; it made his heart flutter in a way he hadn’t felt before. It was a thrilling sensation that he was just starting to enjoy as he watch someone make his pulse rise.

 

When Ji finally turned back to him, their eyes met. He felt shy and broke the gaze after a few seconds, “I-I’d better be going then… don’t stay up late alright?” Ji snickered, “Alright, see ya then” from the corner of his eyes, he made the most out of the sight he had for Ji’s smile.

 

When Seung Ri was about to open the door “Oh, I nearly forgot” Ji rushed towards him “I almost claimed these, here” he was starting to strip the scarf and the coat but Ri stopped him “Nah, take it. It may not be enough of a gift but don’t worry, I’ll make up for it”

 

“T-Thanks… but you have given more than enough though” Ri could swear he saw him blush and an unusual rush once again surged through him “I ah… b-bye” he stuttered and left. Ji wondered at the way he acted but didn’t take it seriously.

 

Seung Ri was at the parking lot standing there with the key in his hand. He hadn’t opened up the car yet; he was just standing here, thinking of what happened inside the room. He wasn’t familiar with that type of adrenaline, he wasn’t aware of what was going on with him. All he knows, at the very sight of Jiyong’s smile made him smile and the feeling of him around was all too splendid.

 

“I might either be crazy or…” he paused and smiled “No… maybe not, maybe I’m just fond of having him around. Yeah, he’s a nice guy, who wouldn’t feel great around him”

 

When morning came, Ji was sleeping at the chair he was using all night and he rested his head at the free space at the side of the bed. His dad got transferred to a private room when the nurses came a few hours when he was the only one around.

 

Ji’s dad slowly woke and took a look around him; his eyes then landed Ji’s nestled head at his side. He was still sleeping soundly, “I must’ve worried you” he brushed his son’s head lightly and after a few Ji woke up.

 

“D-dad…” he drowsily spoke, “Do you need something?” he pulled himself up and creased his eyes, “No… I’m fine, I’m… I’m sorry if I’d made you worry especially at Christmas” a bitter tone in his voice, “Don’t think about it, as long as your fine nothing’s to worry” he assured.

 

“Listen, what I said and did was too far off. I’d understand if you’d act like that and I could never take that away from you but, if it meant that we’d fight or argue about it. I’ll call it off, I’ll make sure that you wouldn’t be forced to something like this” Ji smiled and shook his head.

 

“Same ol’ dad, thanks but… thinking about it clearly all night… thinking about all those hard efforts you and grandpa did for the company going to be a waste was more than enough to knock me into reality. I’ll go along with the arrangement; I’ll… marry off uncle Choi’s son. For yours and the people that works at the company’s sake”

 

His dad couldn’t believe the turnover Ji was doing, “But, wouldn’t it be against you to marry someone you don’t know or love? You don’t have to sacrifice yourself for this, besides I know your uncle Choi would understand the circumstances”

 

“I really appreciate that you came to a verdict to call it all off but… like I said it’s not only because of you that I’ll go along with this, as an independent person, I’ve learned the hardships in working at the bottom. It was hard but repaying and if the company were to collapse just because of my selfish needs I’d waste the efforts of those you have worked hard for the company. So there’s no reason for me to back out of this”

 

His dad smiled, “You sure you don’t want to own the company after me?” he joked, “I wouldn’t want my hands tied down the board of directors all the time but I know Dara can do a good job once she finishes college, she has an eye for the future of the company” he giggled.

 

“I’m glad to have an understanding son like you” Ji shook his head “I’m glad to have a great dad to teach me how to be understanding” they both smiled at each other and a few minutes later his mom and sister came.

 

At the meantime

 

Seunghyun had just waked up with a throbbing headache. After drinking about 10 or so shots, he felt the after effects. He groaned as he got off from bed and made his way towards the living room. He immediately stopped in his tracks as he saw Taeyang sleeping at the couch “Did… he? Ugh… I must’ve drank all too much”

 

He got to the sink grabbed a glass of water and went to the medicine cabinet at the bathroom. He pulled out an aspirin and gulped it along with the water; he then looked at himself at the mirror. He looked a bit wasted and his eyes were swollen and red.

 

I feel so stupid with acting up like this… this isn’t me…” he looked away from his reflection “This is far from who I am

 

He then made his way out side and even before he got to the living room Taeyang was standing there in front of him, “Glad you’re up… how’re things?” he dared to question, “I’m happier than a sunshine…" he smiled in a convincing way but Tae's brow just rose"Pft… Forget it, I’m no good in lying if it’s you” Tae chuckled at him.

 

“You got up early, is there anything coming up?” he watched Seunghyun move towards his bedroom, “I have a schedule today so I better get myself all in tip top shape” his voice echoed at the house, “Are you meeting up with~” he couldn’t continue “Don’t even finish it!” he interjected.

 

“Then what’s the big appointment?” he walked to towards the room and saw him looking at himself in idle at the full mirror. He could see at the refection that there was a far off look in his eyes, “I’m scheduled to see my fiancé and I don’t think he’d like it if I’d be late for our first meet”

 

“What…? You’re really serious with this ? I mean, accepting it… fine, it’s there but… do you have to go along with these meet ups and stuff?” he folded his arms, “It’s part of the engagement and I don’t plan on ditching out, if I did, my dad would kill me”

 

“Can you just give him a postcard or something?” he joked, “Wish it was easy like that but…” he turned and faced Tae in a serious way, “I wanna make things official between me and him, besides… I plan to play along with him at the process of our dear and grand engagement party once it’s settled”

 

He caught a certain idea in what he had said, “You’re planning something that’ll make this guy’s life miserable?” a smirk lit up his face, “Well I am miserable already, and it is said that in sickness and in health, for better for worse right?” Tae shook his head, “You’re sick”

 

“So will he” he retorted, “Lock the door up once you leave, I won’t be back till night” he then went to the closet, “Just hope that you wouldn’t go too much…” it made Seunghyun peer at his friend, “You’re having sympathy to my damn fiancé?”

 

He rolled his eyes, “No you idiot, what I meant to say is that it wasn’t both your fault. It was both your dad’s ideas that you came to this, don’t you think you should limit that little plan of yours?”

 

He heard a sight “Even if that’s the truth, even if he hadn’t done anything to me directly… his whole existence became the reason why I can’t be with Chaerin and that’s something unforgivable in my vocabulary”

 

“What a man sows is what he reaps, a way to tell people that karma always catches up to what you do. I just hope you wouldn’t be hurt in this. You know that you look pathetic when you’re down” he snickered and same goes with Seunghyun, “Hurt… you already saw me go through it last night… it was the most depressing state in my entire life, and soon, I’ll be able to see him do the same”

 

“I won’t be affected, there’s no recoil in my plot. I don’t give a whether he could go through it or not. All I want is… to make him feel the same way I felt when I had to give up Chaerin, the same aching feeling inside of me. He’ll know that… I don’t like him, that I despise his entire existence”

 

He saw a darker side of him for the first time, a bitter and resentful side that Seunghyun morphed into after a night of grieving over the painful phase in his life.

 

Not that I mean to hate you… but this is how things will go, me teaching you the pain of giving up the person you love so dearly. You’ll live to regret being born

 

Meanwhile

 

Jiyong’s face was frozen stiff right in front of his father, “D-Dad… are you serious with that?” he only answered with a simple nod, “But… you just brought out the news last night and… uh… I’m… I’m not sure if I could…” he couldn’t finish what he wanted to say.

 

He was obviously in a tight jiff but it all subsided when he felt his father’s hand landed on his, he took a look at the hand before he took a glance of him. “I have faith in you, though I know it would be a burden to cope along with him. I know you’ll do fine”

 

“You’re bright and transparent so I know he’ll learn to like you” he fought back some words to contradict, “Dad…”

 

Although I have a bad feeling about this… it’s for my dad… yeah… don’t think of anything else Jiyong, just think of your dad… for the company… Aish!!!



-=======================-====================-

I hope you guys would continue to anticipate with the upcoming next chapts, I, myself is hyped in making it :D