Chapter 8 – Priority

Shifting Lives

Chapter 8 – Priority

--------------------------------

                Emma faced the darkening sky, frowning at the slight hint of the moon that appeared even during the day, peeping out from between the fast rolling clouds being ushered through by the incoming storm.  She twisted the silver band around her middle finger, over and over again; brows furrowed with more than just the expected concerns.  A movement at the corner of her eye had her turning her head with a knowing, "Go ahead."

                "What?" Calvin asked, startled to be caught by those liquid bottomless eyes.

                "You look like you were going to ask something," she replied calmly, finally releasing the ring to press a hand to her side as she approached the motorcycle he had been readying.  The gaping hole in the dress meant it would be consigned to the rag pile the minute she got home – darn it, she really liked this dress too.  "So go ahead and ask."

                For a moment, Calvin debated it in his head.

                "Just ask already," Pets admonished grabbing her helmet with jerky movements.  She thought coming to sanctuary would mean she could start feeling safe again.  Except she was now more confused and scared than ever.  And her brother's reaction to Ella's reappearance… it was not surprising but still very dangerous.  But that wasn't what was important right now.  The immediate danger was simply being here, out in the open within unfamiliar territory.  They needed to get out of the danger zone.

                "That ring you're wearing," Calvin pointed as he held the Chun's bike steady for her.  "I noticed that Ella wears the same one."

                "Yes," Emma replied, following him when he beckoned.  She accepted the helmet but frowned when he shrugged at not finding another.  "What about it?"

                "Does it mean anything?" Calvin asked, careful not to jostle her.   Bandaged up, she looked even worse.

                "What do you mean?" buckling the headgear.

                Stalling a little because he couldn't figure out how to ask, wasn't sure what he was asking really.  This was hardly the right time to be bringing this up.

                "Spit it out," Pets said impatiently as she started her engine.  She recognized all the signs; Calvin knew something and wanted it confirmed. The boy was crazy smart.

                Taking a breath, he plowed forward hoping for the best.  He had so many questions.  "In the woods: Ella knew you were in trouble.  How did she know?" he asked, eyes sharp with intelligence.  "Did you have a vision?  Did you tell her you were about to get attacked?  If you had enough time to call her, why didn't you run?"

                Emma was silent as she stared at him, twisting her ring again.

                "And then there's the smell," Calvin continued without giving her a chance to answer, almost as if he was afraid of what she'd say.

                She raised a brow.  "I smell?"

                "No, you don't," he clarified, "And that's just it.  Everything smells of something.  Every living thing has a unique and distinct scent.  I should be able to identify you just by my nose; especially with my nose.  But I can't."  His eyes narrowed.  "You and Ella not only have no individual scent, but you have the exact same no scent signature on you."  He moved closer, "Why?"

                Unflinching, Emma stared back at him and raised her ringed hand.  "I think you already know why."

                He stared at it, the delicate carving that went round and round the silver, "Piece of the Gypsy Queen."

                "There are supposedly nine of these in existence; one for each of her children," Emma replied, "Our clan has three of them."

                "Who's wearing the third one?"

                "No one.  It's kept in a vault.  No one else needs it."

                "But you and Ella do?"

                She blinked.  "You don't think so?"

                His brows furrowed; his mind twisting with thoughts, trying to deny what he already knew.

                Pets stared a moment then cleared .  "Lovely as this is," she pointed to the road, "I thought we were in a hurry to get somewhere."

                Calvin nodded but continued to stare at Emma for a painfully long moment.  "To be continued."

                "Of course," Emma replied calmly.  "After all, you haven't gotten your answer yet, have you?"

                "Most definitely not."  But did he really want to?  "And I definitely want to know more about those rings."

                "History lessons later," Pets admonished; "Shake a leg now."

                "Follow me," Calvin said and started the engine.  He moved through the twon by memory alone, having never navigated it after his arrival.  But his senses were sharp and eager to be stretched a little.  He didn't know when he'd be allowed off Holy Ground again so he was going to enjoy every second of it while he could.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Damp leaves still crunched as Ella trotted over them at a clip pace.  She was use to the soft shifting grounds around the valley, traversing them weren't a problem for her.  The wolves kept pace with her, forming a protective circle as they moved.  She kept her weapon at her side within easy reach should she need it.  With the wind in their face, they should have some warning if the enemy was around.  She was trying to stay concentrated on her mission ahead… and not think about the silver-gray wolf keeping close by her side.

                Chun watched her out of the corner of his eyes as he moved carefully to her right.  He kept all senses wide open, body ready for anything that might come at them.  The tension that radiated off her kept him on edge.  She had been silent all this time, so focused and determined.  This was a side of her he hadn't seen before; a side she had obviously kept from him.  A part of him couldn't help but wonder just what part of the girl he had been so desperately in love with was still left; what part of her she had shown him was real.

                *I smell something,* the black wolf growled, his head suddenly going low.  Jie moved slightly away, following the scent for a moment.  *It's not fresh but it's here.*

                *Hyenas?* the brown asked in a whine.  Deng moved to take Jie's place at Ella's left, keeping her sandwiched between him and the gray.

                *Hyenas,* Jie confirmed in a snarl.  Enemies in his own backyard.  He looked at the unknown wolf.  *How much are you willing to give for her?*

                *Everything,* Chun replied without thought.  His mind may have doubts and questions but his heart knows what it knows.

                *We better move fast,* Deng said as he nudged Ella's leg.  *I don't like that she's so exposed.*

                *Agreed,* Jie answered and trotted over to stand in front of her, urging her forward.

                "What is it, guys?" Ella asked, her eyes going from one wolf to the next.  "Is something here?"

                Chun moved just ahead of her, turning his head to lead her along.

                "Follow?" Ella asked hesitantly.  Deng nudged her again with his nose.  "Okay… move faster?" all three heads bobbed.  "Got it."  She sighed and wished she could speak wolf.  It was frustrating in moments like this.

                They moved swiftly, the boys fanning out around her in some strange circling formation that allowed them to guard and protect but still giving them space to maneuver if they needed it.  They adopted the hold without word or acknowledgement; simply falling into pattern.  Even Ella could see the tension in their sleek bodies, so taunt with alert that they oozed danger.

                The wind changed on them, forcing Chun closer to Ella, his head always slightly turned to watch the peripheral.  His wolf hungered to run, to hunt, to take down anyone that dared to threaten those under his charge.  The sense of danger at his nerves and he was practically salivating to hurt someone.

                “When we get to the glen,” Ella whispered softly under her breath, turning her head to keep her voice from carrying, “You need to be super aware of those around you.  Do not, under any circumstances, provoke anyone or give them any reason to look at you wrong or question your presence there.  I can’t protect you and you’d be jeopardizing Pets’ precarious position.”

                He turned his head, golden yellow eyes watching her a moment with unnerving intent.

                “I can’t deal with you right now,” she replied, looking away.  “And honestly, I don’t really want to.”  She shook her head, “You shouldn’t have come here.”

                The broad nose hit her in the back of the leg, taking her down.  Chun growled low, stepping across her body as he turned, positioning himself over her.

                *What are you doing?* Deng asked, his eyes burning a hole.

                *Get back,* he ordered, his eyes trained on something behind Deng.

                *,* Jie growled and charged into the shadows.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Body braced and breath held, Calvin crossed the border onto Holy Ground.  The tightness in his chest was uncomfortable now that he's had a taste of freedom.  Taking a deep breath, he struggled with it a moment before resigning himself to the pain and simply dealing.

                "The others hate it too," Emma said against his back, holding tight so not to fall off the motorcycle.  "Says it feels unnatural to have their wolf bound."  She glanced at him around the helmet.  "Does it hurt lot?"

                "I'll manage," he replied as he gently leaned into the curb of the path.  He had ridden slow, mindful of his passenger.  "How are you holding up?"

                "Starting to feel less numb now.  Probably not a good thing."

                "Take a breath, we're almost there," as he drove up to the inn.  A movement caught his eyes.  "We've got company."

                Jing stood as the motorcycle slowed.  The hand crossbow snapped open in her left hand and she pointed it at the driver on not recognizing the bike; her right hand unlocking her phone for backup.  "State your business," she called out once the motor was cut and the second bike rolls to a stop.

                "Jing?" Emma stood up from behind Calvin, her eyes narrowed with concern.  "What are you doing here?"

                The crossbow didn't waver but her finger stopped on the dial button.  "Emma?"

                Emma yanked the helmet off, only wobbled a bit hopping off the bike.  "What happened?"  Calvin grabbed her arm, steadying her and forcing her behind him.

                Eyes narrowing on the way Emma was favoring one side, "You're hurt."  Jing's crossbow shifted an inch to take aim.

                "He's with me," Emma replied off-handedly and pulled her arm away.  Shoving the helmet toward Calvin, she walked toward the stairs.  "What are you doing here, Jing?  Did something happen at the village?"

                Finally lowering her weapon but kept an eye on the two strangers, "No, Xiu sent me on account of Bernice being sent home."

                Emma paused at the last step, "To protect us or spy on us?"

                A tiny smirk flirted across her lips, Jing shrugged good-naturedly.  "Little of both, I guess.  But mostly to help with the bakery and stuff."  She gave Emma a pointed look.  "He worries about you guys, you know," then tilted her head to look at the wound at her side, "With good reason."

                Rolling her eyes, Emma searched her pocket for keys, "Fair enough," then glanced over her shoulder.  "That's Calvin and that's Pets.  Ella vouched for them so be nice."

                "Noted," she saluted them with her crossbow.  "I'm Jing; I'll here for the time being."

                Calvin nodded his greeting, a little more curious about the crossbow than anything.  Pets wasn't quite so nice about it.  "You want to put that thing away now?" nodding to the weapon.

                "No," Jing replied rather mildly, shaking her head as she examined the tip of the bolt, "I like to be prepared.  Besides, I don't think Emma got that," pointing to the bandaged side, "by running into a platter of teacakes."

                "Hyena," Emma explained and led the way into the inn, limping a little.  The adrenaline was wearing off and she was starting to feel the pain.  Worse still, the day wasn't even half over yet.

                "Hyenas in Sanctuary?" Jing lost all hint of her usual jovial self.  The two strangers confirmed it with a nod.  "Was that who was following Ella?"

                "Hyenas were following Ella?" Calvin leapt up the stairs, his eyes dark with concern.

                "Oh my god," Pets' eyes went big.  "Chun," looking toward the road.  Her brother was with Ella now.  She didn’t care how strong everyone keeps telling her Chun was, if they were attacked...  "Cal, you've gotta go."

                Holding her off and still thinking rationally, Calvin looked at Jing.  "Where was this?"

                Reacting instinctively, she answered.  "In the woods, toward the back road."

                "When?"

                "Half an hour ago," she answered automatically in a clipped tone.

                "You sure it was hyena?"

                Jing shook her head looking at a silent but calm Emma.  "Didn't say that.  I asked if it was hyena.  I only know it was a shifter."

                "Half an hour ago on the back roads…" Calvin muttered.

                "What is it?" Emma asked, wincing a little when she moved.  The pain at her side was getting worse; she needed to sit down before she fell down.

                "It was me," Calvin murmured, shaking his head as he followed the girls into the inn.  "They were following me… taking the same road Ella was on to meet up with you guys," looking at Pets, remembering the way they had been greeted by the four shifters,  "Must have looked like I was tracking her."

                Relieved but not reassured, "We're going to need to shut down the inn," Jing pointed out knowing full well that Ella wasn’t going to allow that.

                "Already done," Calvin replied.  "Ella's been slowly moving towards it the last few days; I'm the only one staying here now."

                Jing shook her head and looked at Emma as she took a seat.  "Your sister isn't exactly too forthcoming with her thoughts, is she?"

                "That's nothing new.  Ella is a lot more cautious than I am and a better strategist than most," Emma replied, forcing herself not to hunch over.  Okay now she was in serious pain.  Maybe the motorcycle ride over had knocked something loose inside.  "Um… could someone get me an aspirin or something?  I don't want to be like this when Xiu gets back; he'll go ballistic."

                "Right," Jing muttered and went behind the front desk, "Because having you mauled isn't enough to send him over the edge."

                "He hasn't yet," she answered rather cheerfully then grunted in pain as she grabbed a chair.

                “Let me see,” Calvin said gently as he knelt by her side, urging her to sit up so he can take a look at the wound.

                “Back off Dr. Feel-Good,” Jing warned lightly, only half kidding as she moved closer with aspirin and water.  “We should get you to the clinic; that looks like blood,” then took the aspirin away.  “Sorry kiddo, aspirin is a blood thinner, can’t take this if you’re bleeding.”

                Twisting about in her seat, Emma winced to see the spots that appeared on the pristine white bandages.  “That’s not good… “

                “You need to see the doc,” Jing said, folding her weapon away and attaching it to the hook on her belt.  “Come on, I’ll take you into town.”

                “No way,” Emma moved a lot faster than she thought she could, flinching at the pain that ran down her side.  She did trip over her own feet; Calvin caught her in time to keep her from doing more damage to herself.  “If the doc finds out, it’ll get all over the place.  Then my mom and dad will definitely…”

                “Who care?” Jing replied matter-of-factly, grabbing her backpack and slinging it onto her back.  “I would think that your life is much more important at this point then whatever else is thrown at you.  Where are you priorities, girl?”  She turned and looked at Calvin.  “Mind if I borrow your bike?”

                “If she needs a doctor, I’ll take her,” Calvin replied calmly.  “It’s too dangerous out there for two girls to be running around alone and defenseless.”

                “Defenseless?” Jing looked more amused than offended.  “I don’t know what kind of girls your pack raises,” she looked over at Pets, “No offense,” then turned back to Calvin without skipping a beat, “But there isn’t a girl above twelve in our pack that can’t bring down a bear-shifter if she had to.”  She grabbed her weapon in one hand and Emma’s arm with the other, “We teach our girls to survive.”

                Calvin smirked, a natural reaction of admiration Pets recognized at a glance.  “But why do it yourself if you don’t have to,” he replied and lead the way back to the foyer.  “I’ll take point, you can play backup if you’re so keen on taking her.  But I promise the Pure that I’d see to Emma’s safety so I’m coming rather you like it or not.”

                Jing’s most endearing quality was that she rolled with the punches.  “Suit yourself.  But you’re taking the back seat.”

                “Why?”

                She grinned at him.  “Because I know the way.”

                "Wait," Emma grabbed Jing's arm with her free hand, holding herself still was her eyes became unfocused.

                Pets frowned, moving forward.  "What's the matter with…" but was cut off immediately by Jing's sharp look.

                "Quiet," Jing watched Emma's face, recognizing the stillness.  "She's seeing something."

                "Seeing?" Pets looked around the empty room.  "What the hell is she…"

                "She's a seer," Calvin explained quietly, touching Pets' arm to silence her.  "Now isn't the time," he informed her and watched Emma with concern.  Her face had gone pale, lacking the blooming colors that marked her usual vitality.  The glassiness of her eyes scared him; it was as if her very soul was no longer there.

                Jing held herself steady, waiting for Emma to come back to herself.  She wasn't often around the seer during times like this, but she's seen it enough to know waking her was a bad idea – and that they were the most vulnerable like this.

                Jerking back to reality, Emma blinked then groan, doubling over and allowing Jing to hold her upright.  "That hurt."

                "Come on…"

                "No," she shook her head.  "I can't leave," moving slowly toward the front room again.  "Bad things will happen if I do."

                "Like?" Calvin asked, gently extracting her from Jing's arms.  The girl looked pale enough to faint now.

                "Just bad things."

                "Don't ask," Jing added, willingly handing her charge over.  Emma may be petite but she wasn't that much smaller than Jing.  "It's better not to know sometimes, believe me."

                Calvin looked at the girl over Emma's head and nodded.  "I'll take your word on it."

                "Trusting, aren't you?" Jing mused with a grin, unable to suppress her nature. Dropping her bag, she went behind the front desk again, pulling out the first aid kit.  "Please tell me your sister keeps more than this here."

                "The real stuff is in here," Emma called out, nudging her chin toward the side cupboard.  "Behind the register stuff is just for show for the normals."

                "Do we need to prepare for anything?" Jing asked as she pulled out what was amounting to an emergency triage station - expecting nothing less.

                "Yep," Emma nodded and checked her bandages again.  Looked like the bleeding had stopped and she was just hurting from moving around too much.  "Prepare for all hell to break loose."  She made a face.  "Kai just got to watch someone attack Ella.  And Xiu wasn't that far behind him."

                Jing winced.  "Oh boy…"

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Between the high pitched whines was shouting that pierced her eardrums like needles.  Everything sounded fuzzy to her but every noise made her head pound a little harder.  "SHUT UP!" she screamed then winced as a blinding light flashed just behind her closed eyes, knocking her senseless again.

                "Ella?" strong arms cradled her neck and shoulders, "Can you hear me?"

                "Shhh…." Her head pounded like tiny miners were at work behind her eyes.  "I'm going to throw up."

                "Please don't," was the quiet reply.  "I don't even have clothes on to soak it up to be disgusted by it forevermore."

                Ella froze.  "Please don't tell me you're ."  Only the rustling leaves filled in the silence that answered her.  "Great… I'm not going to open my eyes then."

                "What?"  It's not like you haven't already seen most of us in our birthday suits.  It's nothing new," Deng replied rather good naturedly.

                "That's beside the point," Ella muttered and wondered whose arms she was resting in then gently touched her temple with her hand… without opening her eyes.  "What hit me?"

                "The better question would be what did you hit?" Jie replied.  "And the answer would be a low hanging branch while trying to avoid being run over by Ming and that jackal that was headed in your direction."

                "Jackal?" she sat up too quickly, opened her eyes too fast, and promptly emptied what little was in her stomach right next to Kai's feet.  Gagging at the acid that burned its way up her esophagus, it took her another moment for her thoughts to catch ups.  "KAI!" She backed up so fast she managed to tangle her own feet.

                Chun caught her from behind, holding her steady with hands that were both gentle and firm.   "You alright?"  She didn't look at him but she nodded in response.

                "Surprise to see me?" Kai asked mildly, all things considering.  "Imagine my surprise at getting a frantic call from Emma."

                She sat up.  "What do you mean…"

                "Not now," Xiu interrupted, moving into her view.  "We need to get her out of the open," and nodded to somewhere behind her.  "And tend to our wounded."

                Ella's eyes went wide at the blood across Xiu's right arm.  "You're hurt," and tried to get to her feet.

                Chun's hands tightened on her arms, forcing her down.  "So are you," he growled against her ear.  "Now hold still."  She tried to shrug him off but stopped when her world spun a little.  "We need to get her out of here."

                Kai's eyes narrowed and flashed a different color.  "And who exactly are you again?"

                "He's a friend," Ella answered quickly, trying to stand and getting plenty of help.  "Xiu, are you alright?  Where's GuiGui?"

                "I'm fine," he answered and turned to face her with darkness in his eyes.  "I'm more worried about you right now.  As for Emma…"  Poking his nose at the rising wind, "I've got to get back to her."

                "Why did you leave her?" Ella wanted to know as she forced herself not to wince or react to the pounding pain in her head – now was not the time to be weak.  "Where is she?"

                "Safe for now," Xiu muttered and looked at Chun with eyes that glowed such a dark blue that they appeared almost indigo.  "Your sister is collateral if anything happens to...."

                "You were suppose to stay with her!" Ella accused quietly,  "Why are you here?  What happened?"  Her mind went to difficult places.

                Xiu didn't bother answering her.  Looking at Kai, "Get her back to Holy Ground?"

                "Was there a doubt?" Kai replied dryly and looked at the stranger amongst them.  "I assume you're coming."

                Chun nodded, his only reaction to the many thoughts and questions reflected in his eyes.

                "Jie, accompany Ella," Xiu ordered,  "Deng, stay with Ming.  I'll be back for you guys," then dropped and disappeared into the woods, spotted body angled around a large tree in time to avoid hitting it.

                Ella's eyes followed where his had been before she froze in her tracks.  Quiet, dignified Ming had stayed in his wolf form.  And despite the black coat making it difficult to assess the damage, Ella could see the wound that transverse the side of his body he was not laying on.  And it was impossible to hide the blood that seeped into the leaves on the ground beneath him.  Chun caught her by the arm and Kai stepped right into her path as she moved.

                Ming's head lifted a second, whined, and shoved his nose away from her.  His big yellow eyes, aglow with power never met hers.  He turned to Deng and grumbled something.

                Forcing her to look at him, Kai sternly informed her, "He doesn't want you to look.  He needs you to leave."

                The mutinous look flashed in her eyes.  "I'm not leaving him when he's…"

                "This isn't up for discussion," Kai informed her, stony-faced and unyielding.

                "We're Betas," Jie said quietly, "We know our priorities."

                "That doesn't…"

                "You come first," Deng explained, his brow furrowed with displeasure.

                "I'm not…"

                Kai stepped into her path again as she made to get around him.  "Don't interfere and don't make this harder."  He leaned in too close.  "You're only hurting him more by being difficult."

                "Listen to him," Chun whispered harshly then pulled her away.  He may not be part of their pack but he knew how the pack mentality works.  Greater good always comes before the individual – and these guys consider Ella's safety the greater good.  "We need to leave."

                "But…"

                "Shifters are fast healers; he'll be fine," Chun said as he dragged her toward sanctuary, "He wasn't the target," then shoved her in front of him before dropping to all fours.  *I'll take lead and scout,* it told the others before darting off.

                Kai's eyes were narrowed and sharp.  "Who exactly was that again?"

                "Where did he go?" Ella asked instead.

                "He's going to clear the way for you," Deng answered.  "You need to get going."  When she simply stood there and stared at Ming instead, Deng went into half beast mode, eyes aglow, and roared, "GO!"

                Bottom lip caught firmly in her teeth and eyes b with pained tears, Ella turned and followed Chun into the woods, knowing Kai and Jie would be right behind her, protecting her against anything that might come her way.  Willingly give their lives if need be… just as was expected of them.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                «Her legs moved fast, her lean body trained for sprints through the woods.  But even the best athletes in world were no match for the speed and grace Mother Nature had built into the children of the Moon.  He outpaced her no time, circling back to step right into her path.  Undeterred and half anticipating it, she switched directions and continued to move.  It was a futile effort but gave her some unexpected satisfaction in thwarting him.  Of course it took him less than a second to readjust course to intercept her. 

                They played cat and mouse for a bit, both finding some sick thrill in the chase and evasion – a stimulating game under the light of the moon.  Neither of them gave in to the other as they wound their way through the woods, dancing between the shadow.  Where she had home court advantage – this was, after all, her playground as a child – he was part of the nature around them.  She kept them away from the well traversed roads, plunging them deeper into the sheltered area that's long hidden her people from the outside world. 

                And when he was finally done with the game, he tackled her from behind, sending them both into the leaf pile that cushioned her fall.  His warm body stood over her as it shifted back to man but his eyes, his eyes remained bright with power – and something else.  Something so primitive that left her a little frightened…»

                Gasping, she sat up quickly, almost throwing herself out of the armchair she had been napping on.  The bright afternoon sun poured through the window, blinding her a moment as she struggled to resurface from the drama that was too… too real.

                "Hey, you okay?" came the unexpected question the living room doorway.

                Startled, she gave a tight controlled nod at her roommate, who was peering at her with unspoken questions.  "Just a… a weird dream."

                "You sure?" was the skeptical look that accompanied the doubted question.

                And the uncertainty on her face gave truth, "I don't know."

To be continued…