Chapter 6 – Crossroad

Shifting Lives

Chapter 6 – Crossroad

--------------------------------

                "WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?!?"

                Calvin frowned at the phone as he pulled it away from his ear.  "Hello to you too, Jiro."

                "Don't start with me," Jiro warned.  "Why haven't you been answering your phone?"

                "I've been otherwise occupied," Calvin answered in his dry calm way.  But first things first, "Everyone safe?"

                "Yeah," Jiro answered reluctantly, his annoyance receding with relief at hearing his friend’s voice.  Rainie came running at his raised voice, mouthing Calvin's name with concern.  He confirmed the identity with a nod and waved her off again – there was still a lot of packing to be done.  "You?"

                "I'm fine," Calvin replied, and rotated his shoulder.  "A little stiff but much better than before."  The two day's worth of sleep had done wonders for his overused body and it thanked him by aching from head to foot.  A little coffee, a little food, and some stretches had gone a long way to helping him feel normal again.  A bit more rest and he should be back to his old self again soon.  "Talk to me about what's going on.  I tried Chun but he's not answering."

                "He's back on the road again, won't be able to pick up until he stops."  Jiro explaining, pulling the curtains against prying eyes.   

                "So he's definitely left?"

                "Took off pre-dawn after your last call.  What the heck did you say to him to light such a huge fire under his ?"

                "What did he say that I said?"

                "That you were losing yourself."

                "That's it?"

                "Is there more?" Jiro asked.  He and others had been quietly wondering…

                Shaking his head in disbelief, "So he made it all about me, huh?"

                Jiro frowned.  "Would you like to elaborate?  Share with the rest of the class?"

                Calvin chuckled and pulled the chair in his room next to the window.  It felt good to have the sun in his face.  "What do you know about what happened with Ella?"

                "Okay, I'll bite," Jiro made a face, "Next to nothing.  Chun absolutely refuses to talk about her.  All we got was that Ella was there one day and gone the next and no one knows exactly what happened."  Jiro's numerous attempts to get his friend to open up had been met with cold hostility.  It was the first time he's seen Chun so unreceptive.  "He was so ready to throw it all in with her and then it was like she didn't even exist in his life anymore and he just won't talk about it.  It was unnerving."

                "How typical of him," Calvin murmured.  "If it's any consolation, he was probably just really hurting and obsessed."

                "Obsessed?"

                "What?  You thought she'd disappear and he'd just let it go?"

                "He's been searching for her?" 

                "You're surprised by this?"

                "But he's never talked about it."

                "Come on, Jiro!  This is Chun we're talking about here.  You expected him to talk about his missing girlfriend while the rest of the Orphans are facing universal harassment and being ostracized by the pack?  How long have you known him?" 

                "Okay, when you put it that way..." thoroughly embarrassed now for not having realized something so simple.  "But what does Ella have to do with…"  The light bulb finally went on and the dots connected.  "Great, now I feel stupid."

                Laughing, Calvin switched hands on the phone and his computer.  He had obtained the Wi-Fi password from Bernice earlier when she greeted him in the common dining room for lunch.  Time for him to check in with the rest of the universe; plus he's got some work to do – can't survive on luck and will power alone.  "How long before I can expect him?"

                "Probably another 3 or 4 days," Jiro answered with a sigh.  "He says he's making good time so…"

                "When do you think would be good to check in?"

                "Just after sunrise.  They usually bunk down for a few hours at that point.  Or better yet, catch him an hour before sunset, he usually refuels for the night at that point so he wouldn't need to stop until sunrise." 

                "I'll call him if I don't hear from him before then."  Then something else hit him. "Wait… They?  Who is 'they?'"

                Jiro smirked.  "Chun and Pets."

                "Pets?"  Stunned disbelief didn't quite cover it.  "Why in the world would Chun bring his sister with…"

                "She asked."

                "And that matters how?"  The open road was a dangerous place for a wolf; he ought to know. 

                "In this case, it matters a great deal."

                Calvin considered it a moment.  "What happened?"

                Unable to help himself, Jiro laughed.  "There's a chance, however small and questionable she is making it out to be, that Pets is having her Mating Dreams right now."

                "Excuse me?"  Whatever he was expecting, that was probably as far from it as he could have tried to imagined. 

                "Oh trust me, the rest of us are well aware of just what kind of lousy timing Pets is having right now."

                With a sigh, "So why does she question it?"

                "I'm not sure but Rainie said that it has something to do with not seeing his face."

                "So…"  None of the Orphan Pack had ever been good at the 'traditions;' they've mostly relied on Rainie's more traditional upbringing for help interpreting things.  "What does that mean?"

                "It means that it could mean anything," Jiro admitted with a shrug.  "Listen, I'm glad you're okay, we were worried about you.  But I've got to go handle a few things with George and David.  We're calling another meeting tonight so there's a chance we're going to be on the move pretty soon."

                Which meant Calvin's got to work out the details of their safe place ASAP.  "Okay, keep me in the loop and let me know what goes down.  I'll be in touch."

                "One more thing," Jiro interjected suddenly, "And don't tell Chun quite yet."

                "Well doesn't sound ominous."

                "I'm serious here."

                That was a sobering tone if he ever heard one.  "What is it?"

                "I wouldn't have notice but Rainie accidently overheard it from her cousin."

                "Get to the point please?"

                "Nylon is currently unaccounted for."

                Holding himself very still, Calvin went through all the possibilities in his head.  Nylon was one of the Alpha's lieutenants, a true Beta.  But unlike Rufus and his brainless lackeys, whose bark and bite was a fair ways apart, Nylon was calculatingly smart and viciously relentless.  If a job needed to be done right, the Alpha would have assigned it to Nylon.  "Me or Chun?"

                "I don't know.  I can't believe we miss this."

                "Nylon flies under the radar normally; not exactly a surprise we'd miss him."  The thought of the persistent hunter at his back was enough to make him nervous.  No good could come of it.  "Start a quiet inquiry but don't stress over it.  We'll deal if he shows up.  Anyone else?"

                "No.  And I don't want Chun having to worry about a tail while he's on the run."

                "Agreed," Calvin nodded.  "He's probably already on edge and taking all the necessary precaution anyways."

                "That's kind of my thought too."

                Yet another problem.  "Alright, let's just carry on.  I'll deal with this front and you guys just concentrate on an escape plan.  We'll keep each other appraised and adjust movement accordingly."

                "Guess so."

                Feeling a headache coming, Calvin rubbed his forehead and sighed.  "I feel like I'm standing at a crossroad and everywhere I turn there's an oncoming car ready to flatten me."

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Ella sat down in the parlor and stared out the window in silence, habitually twisting the silver ring on her finger.  The sun was trekking its way across the sky and would touch the western most hills soon, ushering in nightfall.  Adjusting the teapot over the warmer, she lit the tealight candle under it and waited as the antique clock on the wall ticked down the seconds to six.  With Bernice watching the front desk and Emma still at the café, she would get about an hour of uninterrupted time. 

                The chimes on the clock stuck the hour and the knock on the door followed it. 

                *Punctual as always.* 

                Unexpectedly nervous, Ella took a breath before answering it.  "Come in."

                Xiu walked in with muddy boots that he had attempted to clean on the front door mat and his motorcycle helmet in his still gloved hands.  "I only have an hour," he informed her in lieu of a greeting as he set the helmet and gloves on the side table and took the seat across from her.  His eyes were dark with gravity and heavy with responsibilities, "What's going on?  You made it sound urgent." 

                "You look tired," she murmured, pouring the hot tea. 

                He glanced briefly at her from beneath longer than normal hair.  His brows furrowed with displeasure at the obvious ploy.  "What happened?"

                Ella didn't answer immediately, gently stirring sugar into his tea.  "Emma saw Bernice in a dream; it didn't end well."  She set the teacup in front of him along with a wafer thin cookie she had prepared herself.  "We'd like to keep the clan out of it but still protect Nicie in the process."

                "How bad is it?" Xiu asked in his stern voice, non-nonsense and all duty. 

                "She ends up dead," Ella admitted.

                "And you don't want the clan involved?" the disapproval was there. 

                "We don't want her scared and doing something stupid.   Getting the clan involved will definitely scare her."  There was a reason Bernice chose to live with Ella and Emma on neutral grounds. 

                Making a face, he drained the hot sweet tea in one gulp without tasting it.  Nodding his acknowledgment of their concerns, "So what would you like me to do?"

                "Can you post someone on her?  Or convince her she should go back for awhile?"

                "Back to the village?" he frowned, marring this smooth face.  "Just how bad is this?"

                Ella poured more tea.  "We've told you about the darkness, right?  That one that's hovering?  Well this is part of it.  I don't know when or how it's coming to head; and if Emma knows, she's not telling.  All I know is that Emma is convinced that Nicie needs to get out of dodge for awhile and we'd like to keep a panic from spreading."

                Xiu nodded his head in agreement.  "Things haven't exactly been quiet at the village too since this whole 'darkness' thing go spread around.  People are nervous and this freakish weather isn't helping."  He glanced out the window at the clear blue sky touched with just a hint of orange from the slowly setting sun.  "Weather channel is predicting another storm rolling in."

                "'Tis the season," Ella muttered and sipped her tea.

                Nibbling on the lightly sweetened cookie, his favorite, Xiu considered the options for a moment.  "Do we know how much time Nicie has?"

                "No, but sooner is better," Ella answered as she studied Xiu's face.  "And I wasn't kidding before; you do look tired."

                "Long week," he answered.

                "Worried?" she asked.

                "No."

                "Liar."

                "Stop it," he reprimanded.

                She smiled despite herself as she poured more tea for him and added another cookie to his plate; he looked like he could use another cookie – he's obviously lost weight.  "Anything I can do?"

                Hard eyes softened and the stress eased from his face, Xiu shook his head at her concern.  "Stay put.  Stay safe."

                "I'm not going to leave," she assured him, "but…" she stopped herself, the worry lines appearing around her eyes as she looked away. 

                "What is it?" he asked quietly, no longer the soldier.  Ella hasn't been the same since her return and no words could be wrung from her on why.  "It doesn't have to leave this room," he promised, putting aside his duty to the clan for her sake.  "Talk to me."

                Hesitant and allowing a little of her fear to show through her hard exterior, she sipped her tea before admitting, "I made some mistakes when I was away and I've been trying to correct them since.  But I think…"  She swallowed hard, forcing the pulse in down and looked away, unable to meet his eyes.  "My time away appears to have followed me home."

                There was a long, charged silence. 

                "Look at me," Xiu said quietly.  And when she didn't, he knocked the teacup over reaching for her hands.  Holding them firmly in his, he waited for her to look up before stating, "I love you no matter what."  Sobering dark eyes stared at her unblinkingly.  "I will always," squeezing her hand tight, "ALWAYS protect you."

                Tears filled Ella's eyes, her emotions close to the surface.  "Thank you."

                "Why?" he asked with a somewhat ironic but matter-of-fact tone, gently letting go of one hand so he could picked up the teacup off the ground, "You know I would die for you."

                Calvin cleared his throat in the doorway, partly fascinated and partly embarrassed walking in on the intimate scene.  He looked away but couldn't help turning back as Ella slowly stood and retrieved her hand.  "Sorry to interrupt but I would really appreciate a moment of your time."

                With a sigh and a nod, Ella ushered Xiu out, motioning for Calvin to sit before shutting the parlor door.  She took a breath and looked at Xiu again, purposely ignoring the questioning look in his eyes.  "I really do think it'd be best to get Nicie out of town."

                "I'll make it happen," Xiu assured her before his eyes flickered back to the door again.  "Should I be worried about that?" pointing with his chin.  Even without his other sense, he knew. 

                "No," Ella answered resolvedly, "Emma thinks he's a piece of a bigger puzzle so she wants to keep him close."

                Accepting her assessment with a nod, "Be careful, okay?" he implored softly as he came to the front door.  "And call me if you need anything."

                "I will," she hugged him.  "And thank you."

                "You never have to thank me.  This is why I'm here," he reminded her gently, holding her tightly in his arms.  "I will always be here for you."

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Bernice shivered, suddenly cold and aware.

                "What's wrong?" Emma asked, setting the hot cocoa on the table for her friend. 

                "Feels like someone just walked over my grave," Nicie muttered and took the cup gratefully. 

                "You okay?" Emma sat down across from her, peering at her friend's face.  "You look pale."

                "Bad night," Nicie replied, unable to look into her friend's eyes.  She was never certain what Emma could or couldn't see when she looked at her.  Emma saw the world differently but was good about keeping things to herself when she didn't think it was necessary to share.  "I need to remember to pick up some of those sleeping pills you were talking about the other day."

                "Bad dreams?"

                "Something like that."

                "Want to talk about it?"

                Nicie made a face and mulled it over a moment.  "Not really."

                "You know you can tell me anything, right?" Emma replied quietly. 

                Smiling back, Nicie nodded.  Growing up together, Bernice had never thought of Emma as anything but her friend.  Someone in school had once said that it was because she was too stupid to be afraid.  (Her sister had smacked the kid so hard she got detention for it.)  But she liked to think that it was because she knew Emma before Emma became something the rest of the clan both coveted and feared.  Emma was simply Emma to her. 

                "I know you're scared," Emma whispered, as if lowering her voice would help.  "But I can't help you if I don't know what you're afraid of."

                Sighing, Bernice stared at her cocoa.  "It's not so much fear.  It's more that I'm... I'm really resentful for having so little choices in my life just because I'm born with this freaky gene that can turn me into a… a… a whatever on a full moon but only if I get attached to some guy that may or may not love me but is destined to be with me because some omnipotent being decides that we can make hairy babies together."  The delicate porcelain cup rattled on its matching saucer as she fiddled with it in growing irritation.  "All I want is a normal life; how hard is that?"

                "For us?  Very."  Emma sighed and picked up her dainty cup, sipping delicately from it for a moment.  "Sometimes, even our version of normal isn't possible."

                Now feeling like a jerk, Bernice sat up in her chair.  Of all people, she should not be complaining to sweet little Emma with her impossibly complicated life.  "I'm sorry."

                "Don't be," she assured her friend.  "You're allowed to feel how you feel."

                "Maybe," always honest.  "But don't you get frustrated by all this?"

                "Yes, of course.  But what can I do about it?  It's not like I can run.  We saw how that worked out for Ella."

                "But I'm not you or your sister," Nicie mused, "I wonder if they'd come after me if I did run."

                "Don't kid yourself," Emma replied, "They'll hunt you down faster than you can say 'freedom.'  Ella's only lasted as long as she did because Xiu was determined to give her a little space before she suffocated here; it was a necessary journey she needed to make.  If it was up to Kai, she'd been back within a week of disappearing."  Emma made a face and blew at her long bangs.  "I just wish they'd trust us more."

                "They trust you plenty."

                "Not really," Emma murmured, watching the closed door of the café, twisting her ring round and round.  It's been silent all afternoon with nary a customer to distract her from her own dangerous thoughts.  "Everyone keeps me in the dark, whether because they think I already know or because they don't know how to tell me.  Those that don't know me are too afraid of me to talk to me.  And those that do know me try to protect me.  How I can I figure anything out if no one will talk to me?" 

                Nicie frowned, disturbed by the aggravation in Emma's voice.  "What are you trying to figure out?"

                Emma paused, her eyes darkened with something close to fear.  "Something is approaching; something dark and dangerous; we're at a crossroad of some kind and our paths can go either way.  But no one is telling me enough to let me put a clear picture together."

                Taking her friend's hand, Nicie squeezed it tightly.  "How can I help?"

                Silent as she weighed possibilities, "Are you sure?"

                "Yes."  She was loyal to her friends. 

                "Everyone likes you so they talk to you.  Be my eyes and ears in the village," Emma pronounced slowly.  "I need someone that won't keep things from me, even if it hurts me."

                That gave Bernice pause, "You want me to go home?"

                Emma nodded.  "Can you do that for me?"  Everything she was true: she didn't have enough information to go on and no one in the clan was talking to her or Ella about what's going on in the village – and something was definitely going on.  But the more pressing issue was getting Nicie out of sanctuary and away from potential threats that Emma was even now getting glimpse of when she looked at her friend. 

                She hesitated a moment but ultimately loyalty won over her own unease.  "Of course."

                "Thank you," Emma whispered and prayed that it would be enough to quail the coming darkness that surrounded her friend's fate. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Touching his Bluetooth on his helmet, Xiu dialed out before he started his bike or changed his mind; it picked up on the first ring.  "Emily?  Got a moment?"

                "For you?  Of course," came the eager answer.

                "I need a favor," he took to the road, sighing with relief as he passed the low gates that surrounded Sweet Apple Inn and marked Holy Ground.  The pressure on his chest eased as he rode further away.  He hated being on Holy Ground – it felt unnatural to him – but understood why it exists.   "Can you find a way to get Bernice back to the village for awhile?"

                "What?" obviously confused by the request.  "Why?"

                "Emma saw something bad coming her way," he didn't need to alarm her.  "Wanted me to discreetly change her path so she doesn't get caught in it but she also didn't want to scare Nicie by telling her so… " he left it at that.  "Can you help?"

                No dummy, Emily was silent a moment.  "How bad are we looking at?"

                He couldn't lie outright to her; he won't do that to her.  "Bad enough that Emma wants her out of sanctuary."

                "And home is where my sister would be safest?" Emily asked quietly.  She and Bernice didn't always see eye to eye but blood was still thicker than anything and Emily would do whatever it took to protect her sister. 

                "Yes."

                Nodding unseeingly, Emily took a breath.  "Then I'll make it happen."

                "Soon?"

                "By tomorrow," she promised with conviction. 

                "Thanks," Xiu replied, "And keep it quiet?"

                "Of course," she answered.  "And you hardly need to thank me.  You know I'd do it regardless."

                There was a quiet pause before Xiu confessed, "I never want you to feel taken for granted."

                "I don’t," Emily assured him and couldn't stop herself from muttering, "I wish you would."

                He was silent to that, caught between defiance and guilt.  "I gotta go."

                And because she knew his pride and honor would never allow him to give into her, Emily could only resign herself.  "Okay.  I'll call you when I know for sure."

                "Thanks."

                "You're welcome," because it was the only response he would accept.

                He let out a pained breath and glanced at the phone mounted on the bike before dialing again.  Time to call in another favor. 

                "Hello?" was the cheerful greeting in a voice that could have been of either . 

                "Hey Jing," Xiu replied, a grin inevitably blooming on his face.  There was something about his old friend's staunchly happy voice that never fails to bring a smile.  "Got a minute?"

                "Sure, Handsome," Jing replied as usual with him.  What started as a running joke to irritate Xiu's mother was now a nickname that only Jing was allowed despite the ribbing from Xiu's fellow Beta wolves.  "What's cooking?"

                "Nothing good, that's for sure."  Slowing for a curve, he glanced at the setting sun in the horizon and quashed his anticipation for the moon – he needed a good run to clear his head.  But he had things to deal with right now.  "Any chance you feel like playing babysitter/bodyguard/assistant for a few days?"

                "To who?" was the obvious question.

                "Ella and Emma."

                "In sanctuary?" was the dismayed reply which was quickly followed by a sobering, "Why?  What's going on?"

                "I had to pull Bernice for something."

                "Something?" was the dogged question.

                "I can't talk about it."  The frustration touched his voice and he took a breath.  Everyone always assumed he had the patience of a saint when in reality he simply had a great deal of self-control.  "Ella and Emma can't run the inn and bakery on their own with Emma helping Tank at the Café until his recovery.  They're going to need an extra pair of hands.  And I need an extra set of eyes in there to watch over them." 

                "You can't put one of your Beta boys at the inn?  They'd probably be a lot more useful in a fight."

                "Yes but Ella would never allow one of the boys under the roof with Emma there."

                Jing chuckled, "And I'm about the closest thing to a guy you're going to get while still wearing a girl's skin, huh?"  She laughed at her own assessment. 

                Jing's androgynous style and deep voice has been source of amusement and confusion for the other members of the clan; though Xiu has never allowed himself to forget after that one time she walked in on him… he hadn't known her voice could go that high.  Friends since pre-school, they've known each other too long for any preconception to bother them. 

                "Can you help?" Xiu asked, taking another curb.  He needed to be back in the village by sundown. 

                "Sure," she replied with carefree cheer as she was wont to do.  Nothing much bothered her and her easy relaxed nature would make it easy for her to fit into the inn's often stressful atmosphere.  "But I'm warning you, I'm not going to help Ella fend off any of her would-be suitors."

                "No worries," he smirked, "I gave her a shotgun for that."

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                The question was in Calvin's eyes as Ella sat back down across from him and mutely pulled another cup from the serving set.  The clock on the wall ticked loudly in the silent room as she poured the tea and gently set it in front of him, ever so patient.

                Refusing to ask about the man, Calvin mentally told himself to stay on task.  "I spoke with Jiro," picking up the delicate teacup, "Chun's probably about 4 days out."

                The hand-painted teapot barely paused as she poured her own cup and set it back on the warmer with additional water to seep.  "I can't harbor more than one of you at a time; it raises too many questions."

                Almost wincing, *not exactly the most welcoming comment,* he continued, "And he's brought Pets."

                The teacup rattled before it slammed onto the tabletop.  "Why the hell would he…" the question was cut off abruptly with an audible snap.  She stared at him, eyes cold and assessing – he could almost see the gears turning in her head.  "What is she running from?"

                "Was this side of you always there?  Or did it show up after you were forced to leave Chun?" Calvin asked grimly.  Understandably, she didn't answer.  And because he needed to find a way to protect his friends, he didn't have a choice but to talk.  "Pets is afraid of something and Chun needed to be able to protect her.  Bringing her along seemed like the best choice at the time."

                Again, instead of reacting she sat there staring at him with calculating eyes.  The clock ticked down the seconds as she considered it carefully.  "She's having her Mating Dreams, isn't she?"

                *Damn it.*  The dismayed couldn't be hidden from his face, "What are you?  Psychic?"  He sat back in his chair with a disgruntled huff and sipped the tea despite not being a tea drinker, then was mildly surprised and distracted by the aromatic taste.  "This is good."

                She ignored the tangent comment on her prize winning tea and continued to stare at Calvin.  There was something disturbingly still in her eyes as she watched him, her hands in her lap as she slowly turned the silver ring on her finger.  The silence stretched out, the ticking clock on the wall counting the long seconds away.

                "What?" Calvin asked, more than a little uneasy at her silence.  It was as if she was staring into his soul and rendering judgment.  "What are you thinking?"

                Ella blinked, a slight look of surprise flickered in her eyes for a moment.  A few conflicting emotions flashed across her face before she gave a resigned sigh.  "I know how to get sanctuary for Pets; which could probably in turn be extended to Chun."  She regarded him with a tired look, "But that doesn't guarantee your admission."

                "I'll take what I can get," Calvin replied without hesitation.  "How can I help get Pets in?"

                "You can't," she admitted, sipping her tea slowly, "I'll have to handle it."  Exhaustion had her closing her eyes a moment, "I need you to stay here, at the inn, for awhile.  At least until I can figure out what to do for you."

                "You're not responsible for me," Calvin replied, grateful but resistant.  The last thing he wanted was to become a burden to someone else. 

                "I know but you're here and I feel partly accountable for it," she admitted, sipping on tea.  "And I'm still not 100% sure why Emma feels you need to stick around but if she says you're important then I'm going to have to trust her word on it." 

                Calvin went still.  "Emma thinks I need to be here?"

                Ella nodded, watching him carefully.  "There's been a darkness here, surrounding the Sanctuary and the 5 clans.  It's been a suffocating cloud of tension.  Your arrival has shifted the winds, gotten things moving again even if we're not sure in which direction."  She tilted her head and continued to stare.  "But I'm wondering if you're not the catalyst of something bigger."

                He made a face at her.  "Well that doesn't sound ominous at all." 

                "It's not meant to scare you," she replied in all seriously, "It's meant to caution you; don't do anything rash to compromise your situation here or my efforts in getting Pets admission to Sanctuary."  She frowned at she continued to watch him with concern, twisting the silver ring in her hand.  "We're at a crossroads of some kind right now, and the last thing we want is to walk onto the path that will lead to destruction.  Tread lightly."

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Chun breathed a sigh of relief as the phone was picked up and was greeted with a brisk, "You better get here fast."

                Startled, he plowed forward, "What happened?"

                "Nothing but I need you guys here right now," Calvin replied quickly then followed with a mild, "By the way, how are you?"

                "We're fine; a little saner than you appear to be."

                "I'm fine," he assured his friend, "I'm more worried about you; you're the ones out in the open right now."

                "We're pretty fast moving targets," Chun replied, glancing at his sister.  Pets was sipping on an energy drink and checking their coordinates against the map while they refilled their gas tank – 10 minutes was all he was going to allow them at any stop.  "Probably shaved off half a day going through some backcountry roads.  Pets is good at spotting the shortcuts."

                "She's sneaky like that," Calvin muttered and glanced at the setting sun.  "I'm glad you guys are making good time."

                "What's going on?  Are you in trouble?"

                "No, not yet," then cursed his own tongue.

                "What do you mean: not yet?"

                There was no hiding it, "Turns out sanctuary isn't exactly an open field for all weary travelers.  There's certain protocols to be observed and I stepped on a few walking in here."

                "Are you alright?" Chun's mind wondered to dangerous places.  "Get the hell out of there if you're…"

                "Relax," Calvin assured him, "I wouldn't be hurrying you here if I was about to lose my head.  Ella manages to keep me under the radar for now; offered me a kind of refuge at her place."

                Chun's hand and heart involuntarily clinched at her name.  "How is she?"

                Calvin would have smirked at his friend had he been standing in front of him.  "Stressed, but clear headed.  She thinks she knows how to get Pets sanctuary which could be extended to you, her brother."

                The sudden elation was cut off abruptly by a thought, "What about you?"

                Damning him for his quick thinking, "Don't worry about me.  We're working on it now."

                "But it's not a guarantee?"

                "Life has no guarantees."

                "Don't quote clichés to me right now, Cal.  Tell me the bottom line here."

                "Bottom line is that you guys need to haul and get here.  Putting you and Pets in Sanctuary is priority right now.  I've few assurances but Ella and Emma seems willing to help so I'm not as worried about myself right now."

                "Who's Emma?"

                "Ella's crazy little sister; wait 'til you meet her," Calvin glanced out the window at the setting sun.  "Listen, I know you're eager to see Ella but you need to be prepared."

                Chun turned to face away from Pets; he still hadn't told her.  "What did you find out?"

                "Nothing solid," he confessed, "But she mentioned something about not fighting the Moon and then there was that guy…"

                "What guy?" immediately latching onto it.

                "What guy?" Pets parroted, alerted to his suddenly tension.

                Waving her down, sorry to have alarmed her, Chun stepped away on the pretext of reloading their water supply.  "What are you talking about?"

                "There was a guy there earlier," Calvin confessed.  He didn't want to hurt his friend but he needed Chun to be prepared for heartache – life was a gamble.  "I walked in on something, nothing obvious but… they looked close."

                "Maybe it's just a friend," Chun muttered, his heart contracted a little harder in his chest.  The thought of her with another man…

                "Maybe," he conceded.  "If it's any consolation," Calvin said softly, "I know for a fact that she loved you."

                It was.  "Did she tell you that?"

                "She didn't have to.  Action speaks louder than words."  And every move Ella has made so far that been far more telling than her words; nothing in this world will be able to convince Calvin that Ella didn't love his best friend and would do whatever was necessary to safeguard him.  "But tread lightly when you get here.  A wrong move on your part can get her into trouble.  And these clans are dead serious about protecting themselves, even from one of their own." 

                "I could never hurt her," Chun replied, his tone sober with conviction.  "I'd give my life for her."

                Calvin winced at the irony of Chun's words.  If it came down to it, he wondered if some blood might be shed over the girl.  "Well let's hope it doesn't come to that."

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Taking a breath, Ella picked up the phone.  The next part was going to be hard.  But if her luck holds out, he might be out with the scouts and she’d just miss him…. No such luck, the phone picked up on the third ring.  “Ella?” was the uncertain greeting.

                “Hello Kai.”

                “This is an unexpected surprise.”

                “I know,” closed her eyes and sat down on her bed, preparing herself for a lecture.  “I… I called because…” this was harder than she thought.  “I need help.”

                “Whatever you need, you know that,” he answered ever so easily.

                “It’s more than just a favor,” she admitted. 

                That brought a somber silence.  “What is it?” as he shifted to Beta mode – all business, no nonsense.   

                All business she can handle.  “Kai, I need you to call a Sanctuary Tribunal.  And I need you to do it without the other Betas, especially Xiu, or the Alpha knowing.”

                Again, that considering pause as he worked it through in his mind.  “Can you tell me why?”

                “I have my reasons,” was the answer given.

                There was another stretch of silence.  “You’re still angry with me.”

                She should have known he’d bring it up.  “This isn’t about us.”

                “But you are still mad at me.”

                “I’m not mad at you.”

                “Then why haven’t you come home lately?” he asked, this tone bordering hurt.  “You use to come home at least once or twice a month.”

                “I have my reasons,” she replied trying to hold onto her patience.  It felt like she was going in circle.  “Will you do this for me or not?”

                “Of course I will,” he replied before adding softly, “You know I’d do anything for you.”

                She sighed, regret and guilt tearing at her gut.  “I know.” 

                The silence between them hung like a loaded gun with a hair pin trigger.  When it became too uncomfortable, “I’ll call you once I’ve arranged it.  It’ll take a few days.”

                “Thank you,” grateful he wasn’t going to ask why again. 

                “You never have to thank me, Ella.  You know I’ll always be here for you.”

                It hurt knowing that he was disappointed.  “Kai, I’m not mad at you anymore.  I do have my reasons for staying away from the village, please try to understand that.  I know you think you’re trying to protect me…”

                “I AM protecting you,” he insisted, frustration touching his raised voice before he forced his voice down.  “I will always protect you, no matter what.”

                And Ella knew that.  She may not always like it but she knew his heart was always and forever in the right place.  “I know.  I’m sorry,” feeling her defenses coming down.

                “Hey, hey, hey…” he whispered urgently, “No tears.”

                “No tears,” she promised, tilting her face to the ceiling – towards the Moon.  “I’m just so tired, Kai.”

                “I know,” he replied softly with regret.  “I’m sorry I yelled at you; I don't want to upset you.”

                “And I’m sorry I always make you mad.”

                “You don’t.  You just frustrate me sometimes.”  He laughed softly.  “You’re the only one I can’t intimidate into doing what I want.”

                “Someone needs to keep you in check,” she countered with a reluctant smile. 

                “I know; that’s why I love you,” he admitted with fondness.  “Get some rest okay; I’ll call you when I’ve set it up.”

                “Thank you.”

                “Don’t,” he insisted.  “Please don’t thank me.”  He was quiet a moment, unable to find anything more.  “Good night, Ella.  Sweet dreams.” 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Emma sat at one of the tables in the empty café with the silverware tray and polish, meticulously cleaning each utensil until they shined, distracted by an uneasy feeling. 

                In the three days since Calvin had woken up from his dead sleep, he's adhered to every rule Ella had set down and was obediently stayed within the confines of the inn, even helping out with some of the manual labor around the place.  Bernice had made arrangements to go home, was even now being escorted back by a contingent of Beta guards Xiu had arranged, and out of harm's way.  The last of their guests, minus Calvin, checked out that morning with a glowing review of their extended stay.  And Ella calmed again from whatever had been agitating her in the past few weeks. 

                Her life should be smooth sailing for a change.  So why does feel like something was crawling up her back?

                The clock on the wall chimed the hour: 3PM. 

                «"If you'll just have a seat," turning toward the counter where the neatly stacked menus had been newly printed to incorporate the fall flavors.  "I'll get the menu for you."

                "That's alright," the man whispered, his accented tone a little breathy with excitement, "I already know exactly what I want."

                She turned, hand reaching into her apron for her order pad, and was startled to see the outreached hand coming toward her.  Leaning back instinctively, she came within a hairbreadth of the transforming hand.  Fingernails lengthened to sharp dangerous claws as it swiped the air cross the bridge of her nose.  Falling back, she watched in horror as ember eyes glowed a firry yellow.  "What are you doing?"

                "No hard feelings, girly," he said as his face stretched and deformed, tuffs of bristly hair lined his elongating jaw.  Spots appeared across his arms as he lowered his form toward the ground, shifting rapidly.  "This isn't anything personal but you ain't the right one..." just before his vocal cords changed.

                She had seconds.  Even halfway between the changes, he was still going to be faster and stronger.  The five second window before his animal instincts come into play was all she had to get out. 

                Rushing for the back door, she shoved the tray of cutlery on the table toward him with one hand and grabbed the poisonous silver polish with the other.  The angry howl told her that the forks and knives had done their job.  Without slowing, she uncapped the bottle and rushed through the swinging kitchen door.  He tackled her to the ground, sharp teeth tearing into her leg, before she got to the exit. 

                Screaming, she went down trying desperately to turn enough to splash the silver cleaner into the hyena-shifter's eyes before its teeth closed on her neck.  The burning acid caught his mouth and eyes just before the razor sharp claw caught , tearing flesh and sending a hot spray of blood cross the newly swept-clean floor...»

                Gasping, Emma dropped the fork and polish cloth to clutch at .  Her hands shook as she felt the tender flesh there, unblemished. 

                It wasn't the first time she's seen a vision of herself.  But it was the first time she's died in one. 

                Setting aside the polishing tools, she got up and paused to look at the tray on the table then down at her own dress.  She was wearing the same clothes.

                The tiny bell over the front door of the café announced a customer.

                Emma turned with dread.

                "Good afternoon, girly," was the accented greeting.  "I was wondering if you could help me with something."

To be continued….

------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note:  Happy Friday the 13th!

Guilan fans are going to be sorely disappointed this time around.  I know the cast feels huge but I will not be using all the characters at once, I just wanted the option of having them around when I tighten the plot and pull all the sub-stories in.  It'll all make sense eventually, hang in there. 

Thanks for sticking around and reading my story, I hope you're all enjoying it.  And don't forget to let me know what you think.  (And yes, more deaths are coming.)