Chapter 27 – Regrets

Shifting Lives

Chapter 27 – Regrets

--------------------------------

                “You look like hell,” Calvin observed, not unkindly. 

                Emma mumbled something nasty under her breath and continued to hold onto her coffee cup for dear life.  She wanted to throw her mug at Calvin’s disgustingly cheerful face but didn’t want to waste the perfectly good coffee someone had kindly made beating the sunrise into the kitchen. 

                “Why are you even awake?” he wanted to know, turning around to heat the muffins on the table for her. 

                “Bread,” was Emma’s one word answer.  Her brain wasn’t functioning quite yet.

                “Fei and Pets took care of that already,” he answered with a good nature grin.  “But seriously, you don’t look like you got more than an hour since you guys got in yesterday.  I thought Kai said that coming back here was suppose to help.” 

                “Help with the visions,” Ella interrupted as she made a beeline to the coffee pot, “No one said anything about getting any rest.”

                Calvin helpfully and hastily grabbed a mug for her.  “And how’s that coming along?”

                “Terribly,” Ella grouched as she sipped strong coffee, “Still getting pieces of a jumbled mess.  Fractures of events; pieces of half finished conversations that don’t make any sense; it’s like we’re putting a thousand piece puzzle together and we’re missing about eight hundred pieces and the picture to work from.  And what the hell are you doing up so early anyways?”

                “I got the last night-patrol shift,” Calvin stated very simply.  “Wes, Chun and I were all rotated in while you guys were gone.”  The betas on the premise were stretched beyond thin and they had proven their effectiveness in the field.  “Six per shift, perimeters of Holy Ground only.  Jags are taking the outer ring and switching off with the remaining cougars.”

                “Everything quiet?” Ella asked soberly. 

                “They’ve found everyone if that’s what you’re asking,” Calvin answered softly; remembering that it was the first words out of Emma’s mouth when they came home yesterday; if all the missing had been found yet.  He had immediately thought of what Jing had told them about her own history but Jing hadn’t met his eye when he couldn’t confirm it. 

                “It’s not,” Emma answered with a mouthful of cookies as her breakfast.  “She was talking about your friend upstairs.”

                Pausing to stare up at the ceiling a moment, as if he could see through the walls, “He’s pissed that we’ve got him chained to the wall and even more angry that we feel we need to protect him from himself.”

                “Does he understand why?” Ella asked quietly, letting the hot coffee warm her cold stomach.

                “I told him,” he confessed firmly.  “I thought it was important enough for him to know that we’d do whatever it took to keep him safe; he thinks otherwise.”

                “But does he understand why?” Ella asked again, tired but resolved.

                “I…” confusion marred his face, “I told him why.”

                Shaking her head, Emma looked at her sister.  “You want to talk to him or should I?”

                “Familiar face would help…maybe,” Ella replied truthfully, unsure what it might do to the already tense situation.  But she couldn’t leave it be; she knew what the consequences were if she did.

                “I’ll talk to him,” Emma said with a nod.  “I think an unfamiliar one will more likely get through to him at this point.”  She glanced at the shadowed window; sunrise was at least another half hour away.  “Calvin,” she said quietly, “As nice as your company is right now, can you step out?”

                “What?”

                Emma smiled reassuringly.  “I need to talk to my sister alone please.”

                Raising an elegant brow, he frowned at her with concern.  “Don’t you think it’s a better idea to share; the more perspective, the more likely that…”

                “Too many cooks in the kitchen can muddle the problem,” she countered with a shrug.  “It’s simpler for those that see.  You can only ask more questions that we often can’t answer – which makes for very frustrating discussions.”

                “This is a process we’ve had to deal with for a very long time,” Ella explained sadly.  It had been a fight she and Emma have long fought with a certain degree of success with Alphas, Betas and Elders. 

                Calvin opened his mouth to argue the point but stopped himself.  The exhaustion on their faces was hard to hide and the last thing they need was more obstacles to hurdle.  They had enough to deal with without him adding to it.  “I’ll be outside if you guys need anything.”

                Ella nodded her thanks and watched him leave.  “Office?”

                “Yup,” Emma replied and lead the way to the little-used, soundproof sealed room to the side of the pantry behind a false panel.  It was small; cramp with a small secretary’s desk, a chair and a wall of aging scrolls and books.  The Alpha House was host of the majority of pack history but this room housed all the Gypsy Queen’s secrets they’ve managed to lay their hands on over the decades.  Once the door closed and they were certain the shifters outside the house couldn’t eavesdrop on their conversation, Emma faced her sister with a long silent look.  “We have 10 days to prepare for the worse.”

                Sighing with resign, “So you’ve seen it too?”

                “I’ve seen enough,” Emma confirmed with a quick affirming nod, “But nothing that can help us prevent it.  I’m always in it before it begins; no warnings of what to do to circumvent around.”

                And that’s what worried her the most.  “It’s like we’re not meant to stop it.”

                There was a loaded silence as each one relived the nightmares for a moment.  “So what do we do?”

                “I’m not sure,” Ella admitted, more concerned about how they would have to present the facts to others than the visions themselves.  “This might be the one time we’re going to have to ride it out.”

                Emma nodded slowly, “Let the fates take the reign?  Be like everyone else for a change.”

                Reaching out, Ella grabbed Emma’s hand for a moment before changing her mind and pulling her sister into a tight hug.  Things were coming that she couldn’t stop; and there will be a time when she could no longer protect her sister.  “No matter what happens it’s going to be okay.  Just know that we’ve everything we could and that this was meant to be.  No regrets.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Selina watched the sunrise from the behind the wheel of the car, tuning out the soft breathing in the back seat.  The stress of the road was wearing upon her nerves and the nightly visits on the dream realm weren’t helpful either.  She knew next to nothing about what’s to come and her heart ached a little at the thought that she was forcing herself away from every pre-mated shifter’s dream of finally finding her other half.  Running from her full potential; without him, she’d never achieve a full shift to become the wolf she could be. 

                But sacrifices had to be made.  And she happily did it to protect her family.  But it didn’t mean that it didn’t hurt… a lot.

                And that pain was only just the beginning. 

                She knew the lore, learned it at a very young age what happens to girls that deny the Moon; that puts off completing the age old ritual that allows their species to survive.  Three months.  She would only get three months at most to help her pack get to safety and settled before those dreams takes a toll on her mind and spirit. 

                It would be worth it though.  She knew that.  If she could protect her family, she’d have no regrets.  Absolutely none. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Fei paused, tray in hand and her heart heavy.  Putting the breakfast down carefully, she moved around to the other side of the door and sat down next to a weary looking Wes standing guard.  “Are you okay?”

                Wes nodded, unable to do much more than that.  He was resting his head on this upraised knees, trying to relieve the fatigue he felt.

                She glanced behind them at the closed and silent door.  “Is your friend very angry?”

                “That’s putting it mildly.” 

                Sean had greeted Calvin with frustration, fear, and anger in that order over the span of fifteen minutes.  He had greeted Wes with sheer rage and a badly aimed glass vase for the five minutes they had been in the same room together last night.  Chun had been still outside and healing and hadn’t taken a shot at trying to calm their friend down yet but Wes expected him any moment now. 

                “Can I get you anything?” Fei asked quietly, sympathy and concern playing cross her features a she resisted the urge to put her hand on his arm.  “Are you healed up yet?”

                Rubbing the mended but sore muscle on his leg, he nodded slowly before finally facing her with a polite, “I’m fine.  Thank you.”  He really just wanted to be alone to continue his pity party of one. 

                Because she’s always been impulsive and tends to follow her gut, Fei leaned in and wrapped one arm comfortingly around his mid-chest, somewhere just above his lower ribs.  It was not quite too intimate as around the waist but more than friendly as would an arm around the shoulder; one arm to sympathize verses comfort with both.  “He will understand eventually.  Just give him time.”

                Startled, Wes froze in place, as unaccustomed to the offered understanding as he was to the unsolicited touch.  But Fei did nothing more than sit there with her arm around him and her head leaning gently on his shoulder, offering silence as a way of comfort.  It was all she knew to do right now.

                And it was all Wes really needed. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Jing frowned, watching Emma strategically place various weapons every few feet tucked into or under or behind every available furniture in the room.  “Do I even want to know?”

                “How’s your hand-to-hand?” Emma asked without pausing as she slipped the ring daggers between the seams of one of the cushions on the uncomfortable love seat she’s always hated until only the rings were accessible and barely visible to the causal observer. 

                “Not bad but not great,” Jing answered honestly as she leaned against the wall and watched Emma carefully put tasers under the decorative edge of the china cabinet.  She’s been restless all morning, unable to find anything to do that calmed her nerves.  “Is there something you’d like to share?”

                “We’re going to get attacked,” Emma replied stoically, all business and monotone.  “It’s going to be bad and we’re not going to see it coming.  And until Ella and I can see something more than a lot of wounds and blood, this is all we can do.”

                “Here though?” Jing looked around the front parlor without it’s cozy colors and welcoming décor.  “They’re going to breach holy ground?”

                “Yes,” was the definitive answer given. 

                There was a tense and dangerous silence.  “Are they going to break holy ground?”  The sanctity of holy ground can only be broken by the spilling innocent blood on it. 

                Pausing, Emma glanced briefly at her sister-in-law in everything but common law.  “I don’t know. I didn’t see it but I wouldn’t put it pass muster.” 

                “That’s bad,” Jing said unnecessarily as she considered a few of the circumstances that would bring about something this horrified.  “What does your brothers say?”  Emma greeted the question with silence.  “You have told your brothers, right?”

                Making a face as she pretended to examine a short blade, “They’re been kind of busy right now.  I haven’t seen them all morning and…”

                “Emma!” Jing warned sharply.  “You cannot just keep this from them.  They’re going to want to know.”

                “They can hear it all they like when they show up again,” Ella replied firmly as she came in with her mobile first aid kit slung over one shoulder.  “They have enough to deal with right now without us reporting every little thing to them with every vision.  We can barely make heads or tails of them most of the time anyway, trying to convey it would only muddle things for us as well as them.  Right now, all we know is that something bad goes down in the next full moon; nothing we can pin down but we know it’s coming and we’re trying to prepare for it best we can with what limited information we have right now.” 

                For Ella to make that kind of admission told Jing more than she wanted to know.  “How bad?”

                “Worse than anything we’ve seen so far,” Ella admitted with a sigh, sitting down slowly.  She was bone weary and sad.  “Neither of us has seen anything to help us prevent it.  It’s too… too fragmented, like we’re getting a taste but never satisfied with what we get.  I can’t see where we can be effective.”

                Taking a breath, Jing force her jittery heart to calm. 

                “What’s wrong?” Ella asked suddenly, her brows wrinkled with concern as she watched Jing a moment.  “You’re sweating.”

                “It’s hot in here.”

                The sisters traded quick looks and then looked at each other’s jackets and vests.  “Um… it’s actually not.  Are you feeling okay?”

                Smirking, “Are you sure you don’t need to head back to bed?” Emma asked, inspecting her handiwork around the room.  “Can’t imagine Kai let you get a lot of sleep last night.”

                “What are you talking about?  Kai wasn’t even here last night.”

                “WHAT?” Emma and Ella turned at the same time. 

                Jing frowned at the pair.  “He and Xiu went back into the village to the Alpha to a glen meeting and then had to hold another for Counsel of Elders.  They’ve not been back since they left just after midnight.”

                Again, the sisters traded quick cautious looks before Ella carefully asked, “So you’re saying that you and Kai have been apart for more than 6 hours now?”

                Emma’s face twisted with apprehension as she asked her sister, “Is that safe?”

                “What do you mean?” Jing looked at the two, not liking the genuine concern on their faces.  “I’m fine.  A little jittery but nothing to be…”

                “You’re not who we’re worried about,” Ella answered quietly, ready reaching for the phone.  “Newly mated males tend to become… volatile when away from their mates for too long; especially at the very beginning.” 

                “How volatile are we talking about here?” Jing had a vague idea from lessons long ago. 

                “Well…” Emma looked at the window toward the front of the inn as if trying to spot something.  “Do you remember when Joe and Ariel were first mated?”

                “No,” Jing replied honestly, “Should I?”

                “You probably weren’t paying any attention to it at the time,” Emma considered a moment. 
“Joe was called away shortly after, medical emergency over in the cougar territory; that big rig explosion?”

                “I remember that.  Their Alpha called in favors to help with it because it was a shifter company.”

                “Right.  Joe went to help and nearly lost his mind – it’s a miracle he wasn’t killed picking a fight in someone else’s territory.  Kai and his betas escorted Ariel to him and they met up halfway in Eastwall.  Ella and I made the call to have Ariel brought to Joe before he could start a war.  He was in terrible shape, almost feral, when Ariel got to him.”

                “How long were they apart?”    

                “Almost 8 hours.”

                Jing blanched at that.

                “None of them are picking up,” Ella informed them as she moved to the front door, stopping short when Chun almost ran into her as he made his way into the house. 

                Chun looked at her then at the two behind rushing to catch up, “What’s wrong?”

                “We need to find Kai fast!” Ella said simply.

                Turning around, Chun ran back across the lawn and shifted again as he crossed the front gates.  He howled to the air, long and loud, letting his voice travel as far as it could before it was met with an answer… or another transmission.  Then an answering howl came not too far from beyond the forest lines; almost like it was moving.  “He’s coming,” Chun translated in his human form.

                “Um…” Emma looked at the small cluster of guards.  “Jing, maybe you should you meet him in the woods.”

                “Is it going to be that bad?”

                “No…. but he might want to…” Emma gestured helplessly with her hands, “And it might be traumatizing… for the rest of us.”

                It took a moment before Jing understood what she meant but she eventually got it with a roll of her eyes and a quick nod.

                “Take a blanket,” Ella suggested and tossed her the quilt off the rail of the porch. 

                Shaking her head, Jing walked briskly away from the inn, waving off the wolves that greeted her to her to wherever she was heading.  A quick word had them all quickly backing away and returning to their previously post.  Apparently, no one wanted to be around when Kai reached his new mate. 

                Chun looked from Ella to Jing then back again.  “Should I follow and make sure she…”

                “She can handle herself,” Ella replied and look at Chun again.  Stained with mud and moss, he was quite the sight to behold.  “How are you holding up?”

                “I’ve seen better days,” he admitted with a smile that was meant to reassure her, “But I’m doing all right.  Probably could use another hour or two in the pelt but I thought dealing with Sean’s situation might be a little more important.”  He glanced up at the building, as if trying to see the solution to the problems ahead. 

                “Leave that to me and Emma,” turning to her sister with a quick nod.  Emma understood it better than most and trotted back in with a resigned shrug.  “You and the others need to heal and prepare for the next wave.”

                If he was surprised that she was already warning him of another attack, he gave no indication of it.  “How are you doing?  You look tired.  Sleep okay?”

                “It should probably be ‘did I get any sleep.’”

                “Did you?”

                “Not a lot and not enough to see what’s coming.”

                “Then you should head back to bed.”

                She smiled at him, leading the way back in.  “There’s a lot to be done today.  And I…”

                “Let someone else handle it for a change,” Chun suggested quietly, grabbing clothes from the basket beside the door.  “The world won’t collapse if you take a few hours for yourself.” 

                “You say that now…”

                “I’ll always say it because I will always put you first,” he replied too easily for Ella’s heart.  Heading upstairs, “I should probably get cleaned up.  I assume your brothers will want to meet about security issues later.  We still haven’t dealt with what to do about the café while we’re here.  I’ll be in my room if you need me.” 

                “Chun….” She called out before she knew what to say… or what she wanted to stay.  And the silence that sat between them as he waited for her was loaded with questions and answers that they both knew wouldn’t be safe to vocalize.  “Rest while you can.”

                He knew it wasn’t what she had meant to say but accepted it for what it was – her inability to have more than she wanted. “You too.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Emma didn’t bother knocking; she nudged the door open with her elbow then shut it with her heel.  “Hello.”

                Sean glanced up from where he was seated by the window, the manacle on his ankle stretched taunt from the heater.  He face was expressionless.

                “I don’t think we were properly introduced the other day.  I’m Emma.”  She set the breakfast tray on the bed and joined him crossed legged on the floor.  When he didn’t response, she sighed and crossed her arms.  “Silence isn’t doing you any favors.  If it were up to me, I’d have my brothers you to the edge of town and shown the road as far way from us as possible.  We certainly don’t need the kind of trouble you can bring into our lives right now; we don’t really have the time or resources to deal with it.  But my sister considers you a friend; one that can be rehabilitated – so you’re here instead.” 

                Brows furrowed with concern, “What trouble?”

                “Oh, that got your attention, didn’t it?” Emma muttered and scooted over so she could lean against the bedframe.  “You know what I saw when I looked at you the other day?  Death.”  She trained her all too sober eyes, so eerie on her too youthful face, on him and spoke softly.  “That’s my specialty, you know.  Ella and I see a lot of things but death has always been the prevailing theme in my visions.  And there was a lot of death around you when you walked into my home.” 

                Silenced, and maybe a little fearful of the words coming from the mouth of a babe, Sean held perfectly still.

                “I assume they explained why it has to be this way?” motioning carelessly at the chains.  “Would you like to know who died first?”

                He didn’t want to know but couldn’t bring himself to say no.

                “The guy sitting outside right now,” jerking a thumb over her shoulder.  “He’s really worried; enough to let his wounds fester when he should be running outside to let himself heal.”

                The bale rose in his throat at the thought that he could… would…  He shook his head to deny it.

                “You tear through your own pack before one of mine puts a bullet to your skull,” she said quite easily and without any emotions.  “They didn’t have the heart to stop you but you were too far gone to discern friend and foe and it would cost them their lives.”  She didn’t go into details, would have if she had to, but didn’t seeing the reaction in his eyes.  “I’m not going to let that happen, do you understanding?  I like your friends; I don’t know you well enough to like you yet, but I like your friends.  They’re my friends now and I protect my friends.  I will not allow you to hurt them.”

                He nodded slowly; acknowledging the conviction in her steely gaze. 

                Emma stood up and took a breath, knowing she’s gotten through to him.  “Stop being an and do as you’re told.  We don’t like this any more than you do but we do it for your benefit and ours.  Calvin and Chun might not be willing to stop you but I’ll have no problems putting a bullet in you if I think you’re a threat.  But for now, as long as you stay on Holy Ground, you’ve still got a chance to come back from this.  Don’t waste it.”

                Sean nodded, watching this strange girl child be an adult making much too serious decisions.  He didn’t envy her position in life.  “Thank you.”

                “Don’t thank me yet,” she advised soberly.  “There are going to be more days like this one ahead.  There are going to be some bad times coming and you’re not out of the woods yet.  So don’t make me regret letting you stay.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Pets watched the wolves trotted out from the tree line; three of them heading around the fences toward the front while four headed for the back gate, eager to get away from the woods.  The fluidity of their shifts as they crossed holy ground was something that will never cease to amaze Pets as she met them halfway with clothes in hand. 

                “My sisters inside?” Xiu asked, a little out of breath and obviously exhausted. 

                Nodding quickly as she passed around shorts, “Ella went back up to bed, she didn’t get much sleep last night.  Emma is talking to Sean right now but should be back down shortly.  Fei is starting the afternoon breads and Jing went into the wood to…”

                “We know,” Deng interrupted quickly with a distasteful look. 

                “Gagh… please let us never have to see that again,” Ming muttered and headed indoors. 

                “There’s not enough brain bleach in the world…” Jie shuddered and went straight for the food. 

                “Is that why her brothers went around the house?” Pets asked as she poured hot coffee for them with an efficient hand, adding a spoonful of honey to each cup.  She had grown accustomed to this ritual and it was strangely comforting now. 

                “One of the reasons,” Ming replied quietly.  “Everything okay here?” 

                She nodded.  “It’s been quiet all night.”

                “Any more bodies?”

                “Cleaners got them all… I think.”

                “Nothing from the town, right?”

                “Nothing so far.  One of the retreat wanted to up their bread order, that’s the extent of it.”

                “Good,” Xiu sighed and leaned his head back against the fragile china cabinet.  He felt physically and emotionally wrung dry – it had been a long grueling night.  “Maybe we can get a break for awhile then.”

                “Um….”

                All four men turned to her with a groan, “Now what?”

                She hated being the bearer of bad news, “Um... the seers told everyone here to get healed up fast cause they didn’t know when the next wave will hit but that they definitely see something else coming so…”

                The three betas looked at Xiu, who closed his eyes for a moment and sighed.  “I’ll talk to them.”

                “After you get some sleep,” Pets said helpfully.

                “Sleep can wait.”

                “Sleep cannot wait,” she argued firmly.  “It is an essential part of life, a part that you all seem to be ignoring right now.”  Plus both Emma and Ella looked like hell earlier. 

                “Things have to get done,” Deng informed her quietly.

                “For now, things are calm enough that you guys need to catch up on sleep first.  Especially you!” pointing at Xiu with an accusatory finger.  “Did you forget you spent half of the day before bleeding all over me?  Are your wounds even fully closed yet?”

                Exasperated, Xiu dismissed her concerns.  “I’m fine.”

                “Really?” annoyed by his carelessness, Pets decided the best way to get through to boys was through action… like a quick punch to his side where she knew he was probably still healing. 

                Xiu doubled over and fell to his knees, the pain so blinding he couldn’t even make a sound. 

                “You’re just fine, huh?” Pets asked, gently nudged him in the leg before reaching down to grab him by the arm to help him up.  “I barely even tapped you and you folded like paper.  You want to tell me again how ‘fine’ you’re feeling?”  Getting him back on his feet, she checked the wound.  “God, you’re as bad as my brother.”

                While Deng and Jie were both trying to pick their jaws off the ground, Ming stared incredulously, “I can’t believe you just did that.”

                “He takes care of everyone else; someone’s got to take care him if he won’t do it himself,” she tugged ineffectually at Xiu’s arm.  “Come on… you’re going to bed while there’s still time for you to rest.”

                Struggling to breathe, Xiu glared at her, “You…” the pain was barely receding, a testament of how deep the injury had gone and how little it’s healed.  “Don’t do that again.”

                “Stop being an idiot then,” she replied rather calmly as she continued to try to drag him with her.  She’s starting to learn; most of the guys were all bark and little bite around here – makes for a nice change from where she was from.  “I’m pretty sure you don’t want either one of your sisters knowing that you got knock down by a girl so why don’t you be a good boy and come to bed with me.”

                Ming choked on his coffee. 

                “Are you out of your mind?” Xiu sputtered, still mildly resisting her push.  He was too tired and in too much pain now to put up much of a fight but he’ll be damned it he allowed a slip of a girl to simply do as she pleased.  “What is your problem?”

                “I’d like to ask you the same thing,” she replied, ignoring the 3 at the doorway as she put all her weight into shoving Xiu up the stairs.  “You three can find your own way, right?”

                They nodded like bobbleheads before ducking quickly out of sight when Xiu glared at them.  “Traitors!”  With very little recourse but to give in, Xiu allowed himself to be pushed and shoved into the room his sister had been letting him bunk in when he was around. 

                “So according to your sisters, we’re probably going to get at least until sometimes this afternoon before they’re summoned again,” Pets said conversationally as she closed and locked the door behind her.  “So we’ll probably going to get only about 3 hours to sleep before everything goes to hell again.”

                “Why did you just locked the door?”

                She looked at him funny as she turned down the bed. “You always sleep with the door unlocked?”

                “I meant why did you lock the door with yourself still in here.”

                Fluffing a pillow, she didn’t bother to turn as she sat down and removed her boots.  “You can’t be trusted.”

                Since it was the last thing he expected, “Excuse me?”

                “I don’t trust you to not go running off to harass your sisters the minute my back in turn,” she patted the spot next to her as she laid down on the bed, “So I’m here to make sure you sleep a few hours before you run yourself ragged again.”  She patted the spot again when he didn’t move.  “Come on, get in.”

                Xiu closed his eyes a moment and took a deep breath, trying to force his heart to slow to a semi-normal rate.  “Did we not just have a conversation about the appropriateness of your actions?”

                “Did you not realize I didn’t care what you thought when you aren’t being remotely sensible about your own well being?” she replied very simply.  When he still hadn’t moved, “Don’t make me get up to get you cause I didn’t have a great night either and I woke up way too early to help with the morning bread delivery.”  They had to keep up appearances for the town.  “Now, get in here.”

                With an exhausted sigh, Xiu crawled onto the bed, pulling the blankets back up again until he was lying on top with Pets securely underneath it.  “I’ve seen your brother.  I don’t feel like getting my face punched in for your reckless behavior.” 

                Rolling her eyes and letting it go, it was probably the best she was going to get from him anyways, she waited for him to get settled, “Relax, Chun isn’t going to do a damn thing even if we were in bed together.” 

                “I’m not putting that to the test,” he replied as he felt sleep pull him under. 

                “When you wake up, you and I are going to have a talk,” Pets informed him as she watch his breathing even out and slumber soften his handsome face.  “You’ll understand more when you know.”

                He barely treading the surface of consciousness as he asked, “Know what?”

                “Shh….” Easing her hand gently across his chest, letting her touch ease his hold on his curiosity.  “I’ll tell you when you get up.  Sleep now.”  She waited a beat and watch him ease into slumber.  “I just hope neither of us regret what’s in stored for us.” 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                “Why are you making that face?” Simon asked as he sat down tiredly across from his wife.

                Lily’s frown deepened as she glanced at the doorway, the milling Betas quickly scattering at being caught eavesdropping on their Alpha and his wife.  She was silent a while longer as she poured coffee and added a B-12 pill next to the teaspoon.  “We’re running out of time.”

                Not exactly surprised, Simon allowed himself a moment to drink his morning coffee and having a quick energy boosting supplement before addressing the issue.  “For the pack or for our girls.”

                “The girls,” she answered honestly and openly.  “I don’t think…”  Her coffee cup rattled in its saucer as she set it down hastily.  “I don’t believe that they’ll come out of this in tact.”

                Simon got up and shut the door, flipping the sound interference switch as he stalked passed it.  The traces of his exhaustion was wiped from his face.  The Alpha was gone; in its place was a very determined father.  “Tell me what you know.”

                “I don’t know anything,” Lily admitted with a sigh.  “Even if the girls can see the end, they’re not going to tell me or anyone else.”  She reached into the side table, pulling out a half empty pack of cigarettes and daftly lit one.  It was a nasty habit, one she had punished Kai for in his rebellious teenage years.  But right now, she needed it to keep herself from more extreme acts.  “Call it mother’s intuition, sixth sense, foreshadowing or what naught…. I just….” She took an unsteady drag, “I know.” 

                Taking a breath, Simon knelt by her side and carefully removed the burning cigarette from her fingers.  He waited until she looked at him, her usually cold and steady gaze now flashed with tremors of fear she dared not let loose.  “What can I do?”

                Her fingers curled tightly as she searched his face; a face that’s aged gracefully from charming to regal; a face she had alternatively loved, hated, and feared.  A lifetime of emotions sat heavy on her chest.  “Nothing.  There’s nothing anyone can do.”  And the sheer helplessness tore her apart.  “We can only await fate and hope that… hope that…”  She couldn’t say it.  How do you hope that at least one of your children will survive the moving war? 

                Bowing his head to their joined hands, Simon let himself fear the future.  All he can do as Shifter and Alpha and he couldn’t do a damn thing to save his children.  He didn’t fear his own death, the circle of life has been turn; but there should be an order on how things should be.  A father should never have to burn his child.  And his precious little girls was all he had ever wanted in life.  Lily Tien had been his first choice in mate, his only choice; but the Moon saw otherwise and gave him another.  And when the opportunity came along again to claim her as his... he took it and damned the consequences. 

                Did he regret it? 

                He wished he could say yes, be able to regret the pain and terror he must have caused her.  But he didn’t.  He couldn’t.  Not when he looked at his girls. 

                So no, he had no regrets in his life. 

                Except that he couldn’t do anything more.

 

To be continued….

------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note:  Okay, I’ll admit, I’m having a really hard time finishing this story.  I’ve got an ending ready… just having a difficult time filling in the blanks in between.  Hopefully the next one will flow a little easier.  This chapter went a little slow but I’m definitely picking it up for the next one as we’re only a few more away from the finale.  Yay!