Chapter 28 – Moments

Shifting Lives

Chapter 28 – Moments

--------------------------------

            Gathered around the small fireless campsite, George looked around the circle of tired faces and asked what every one of them wanted to know.  “Can we make it?”

            Jiro shook his head and frowned.  “Even if we were to push all day and all night, there’s no way for us to make to Sanctuary before the next full moon.  And honestly, without a clean trail, I don’t want to even try.  I don’t want to bring the fight with the Browns to their doorstep.  Not if it means we lose the chance for safe grounds for them.”

            “We can’t last forever out here on our own,” Benji replied quietly, his concern reflected his tired eyes. 

            “We just have to wait out the next full moon,” Jiro insisted. 

            “We can do that, right?” David asked with an unusually sober tone as he looked at his cousin.  They all knew where the problem lied and it wasn’t with the black-and-white David. 

            George nodded sharply, “Of course we can.  Right?” looking at a haggard Aaron.

            The youngest Gray was silent for a moment, his eyes focused on the blackened ring of stone in front of him.  They all knew he was the weakest link, the one most likely to break.  “I’m not going to lie; the night terrors are getting worse.  I’m not sure how much longer I…”  He rubbed his chest, his newly healed lungs still struggling a little.  “We need to get clear of the Browns before the next moon.  Or I need to go away.  I think it’d be safer… for everyone.”

            Jiro and Benji tensed and exchanged quick glances.  They knew.  They maybe even understood.  But did it mean they’ll accept?  No.

            “We should head north, to higher ground,” Jiro said firmly. 

            “Guys, we can’t ignore this,” Aaron argued.  “I’m not going to…”

            “We’re not ignoring it,” Benji stated simply, “We’re just giving ourselves more options.”

            “Drawing the Browns north is sensible,” George added, “They have less backup and less opportunities for reinforcement, even if they were to already sent for some.  The further away we go from their territory, the less chances of confrontations.”

            “We’ve weeded them out pretty good these pass few days,” David noted with a shrug, “They’re either their wounds or heading back to North Thumberland.”

            “Are we in agreement then?” Jiro asked to the circle of concern faces, “We head north and avoid the conflicts?”

            “What about the girls?” Aaron put it out there because it needed to be addressed.  “How long can you last without your mate?”

            “Longer than you can in the next fight,” Jiro replied sternly.  “Rest up now.  We move at dusk.”

            “This is a bad idea,” Aaron said before anyone can move.  “I just don’t think we should risk…”

            “If push comes to shove,” David promised him quietly, “We’ll make sure you’re comfortable before we go.”

            “DAVE!” George snapped.

            “I’m not going to foot around it,” David replied with a frown.  “You think I don’t understand?  I do understand; and I get how serious this is.  That’s why I’m not going to be blind about it.  I’m not saying we abandon him,” he looked at Aaron.  “We’re not going to abandon you.  But realistically, we need to protect the pack.  You get that, don’t you?”

            “Of course,” Aaron answered firmly, his gaze steady and resolved.  “Thank you.  I know if, and I do mean if, the time comes, you would do right by me.”

            David nodded, no regrets in his eyes.  He was willing to face the future for what it is and not look back.  They could only do so much and leave the rest to fate.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Ella glanced briefly at the window, her eyes unable to focus on anything other than light as she allowed her mind to drift.  What use to annoy her, the sudden onslaught of sights and sounds unreal to anyone but her, was now a welcome distraction from the oppressive fear of the unknown.   If she could just get a handle on what’s to come, maybe she can….

            “You’re thinking too hard again.”

            “What makes you think I wasn’t having a vision?”

            “I recognize the look now,” Chun replied and brought in the cup of tea had had made for her.  “When you ‘see’ something, you’re not actually here.  When you’re just thinking, you get that little line between your brows.”  He set the tiny delicate teacup on her desk and fished out the packet of cookies he had hid in his pocket.  “Fei said you didn’t eat lunch.”

            “I slept through it,” she admitted and took a cookie.

            “And when she offered to heat up a plate for you?” he asked pointedly.

            “I wasn’t hungry,” she replied, setting the cookie down on the teacup saucer. 

            He sat down next to her and looked at the notepad she had been writing on.  “Timeline?”

            She nodded, “Trying to figure out if I can sort pieces of what I see together, trying to form something a little more linear out of all this chaos.”  The scribblings of half formed images and short bursts of actions looked more like the rumblings of a madwoman than anything coherent.  She felt frustratingly helpless.

            “Stop,” he placed a quick hand over her fingers clutched knuckle white on the pencil that looks ready to crack under pressure.  “You’re pushing yourself too hard again,” he reprimanded and removed the pencil in her hand.  “You’re just one person; it isn’t all on you to save the whole world.”

            “Not the whole world,” she clarified tired, “Just the people that I love.”

            Chun gave himself a moment before he asked, “Including me?”

            There was a considerable silence.  “Yes.”

            He asked because he had to know, “What did you see that night you ran?” 

            She looked at him with damaged eyes, asking him not to ask. 

            “What did you see?” he insisted.

            The sigh she gave was pained, defeated almost.  “Death.  I saw death.”

            “Mine?”

            “Yours,” she nodded, “Calvin’s.  Jiro’s.  George and Kristen’s.  Kai’s.  And a number of nameless faces I wish I can forget.”  She closed her eyes, gave herself a moment to relive it.  “It would have been a bloodbath; one that could easily be avoided in a moment’s decision.”

            “Yours, you mean,” he said quietly, wishing for anything to take that moment from her.  “You should have come to me; told me.”

            “It wouldn’t have made a difference.”

            “You don’t know that.”

            Ella laughed but it sounded hallow and bitter even to her own ears.  “That’s just it; I did know.  I almost always know.  It’s a blessing and a curse – to always know until you actually want to and then you simply don’t.”

            He squeezed her hand, unable to do anything more for what she might have suffered through – is suffering now.  There was still so much he didn’t understand about her life and yet… what he needed and wanted was so simple.  “Well I’m here now.  What can I do now?”

            “Nothing,” was the standard answer.

            He didn’t accept that.  Getting up, he nudge her in the seat with his hip, startling and distracting her enough for him to easily lift her across his lap as he took her seat from her.  Holding her firmly with one arm, he eased her head down on his shoulder with his other hand and held her there.  He did nothing more than that.

            Stiff and confused, she sat there in silence for a moment.  Every resistance was met with a firm hand that kept her cradled in his arm, for once protected from even herself.  The warmth of his body made it difficult to resist turning into it just a little, longing for the comfort he was offering. 

            “Just let yourself have this moment,” he whispered almost inaudibly.  “Let yourself let go; just for this moment, even if it’s just for this second.  Let me be the one to hold the world at bay for you, just for now.”

            The exhale was practically painful, like she’d been holding her breath for much too long.  Just for a moment, Ella let go.  It was a release of the tension, the stress, the fear, the anger, the mind numbing knowledge that her life would end soon… and there wasn’t a thing she could do. 

            The first sob escape without her intending to; like a bubble that had rise to the surface unexpectedly from the depth.  And the first tear that followed felt like a leak from a cracked dam just before the whole thing collapsed.  Pitching her body forward, she turned so he wouldn’t see her weakness, her fears.  And she silently cried for everything and nothing at all.  She simply cried.

            And he let her.  Holding her tighter, he let her have this moment of pain and pity.  This was what he could do for her, only this.  But for them both, it was enough. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Calvin frowned watching Emma’s face a moment.  “Are you trying to set that coffee cup on fire with your superior mental capabilities?”

            Emma didn’t move, her eyes continued to bore into the cup. 

            With a sigh, Calvin sat down at the tiny sitting table across from her to wait it out.  It also gave him an opportunity to study that agelessly beautiful face, one that was both youthful in years, wise with knowledge, and marred with fatigue.  The shadows across her eyes and cheeks had nothing to do with the afternoon sun.  She looked drained of the bright life he had seen in her that very first day at the café. 

            “How long have you been sitting there?” Emma asked, blinking back to life. 

            “Long enough,” he shrugged and glanced at the doodles in front of her – a series of swirls, hearts and stars, like that of a little girl. “Anything useful?”

            She shook her head slowly, confusion marred her face for a moment.  “Did you need something?”

            “No,” he picked up the forgotten pen by her hand and doodled across the edge of the paper, sharper lines and angles of strong bold geometric shapes.  “Just checking to see how you were holding up.  I heard people come and go earlier, too tired to get my up to see what was happening.”

            “You and the others should rest while you can,” Emma replied without saying much and maybe too much.

            “Was it the Elders?” Calvin asked, deciding not to be vague.  They weren’t going to go anywhere with it and he was pretty sure Emma was too tired to play head games right now.  “What did they want?”

            “Usual,” Emma replied with a shrug and poured tea for herself before offering the pot to him.  “They want to know answers that we don’t have.”

            “What did Xiu and Kai say?”

            “They weren’t there.”

            That took a moment to process.  “Excuse me?” because there was no way he could imagine that Xiu and Kai would let their little sister face the collective forces of Elders by herself. 

            Emma could read the look on his face and thanked him silently with a smile.  “Kai and Jing haven’t come back from the woods yet.  It tells me he pushed his limits a little too far for someone too newly mated and should have known better.  Xiu was… resting; he needs it.  He’s not healing like he should be and even he can’t push his body much longer.  And Ella… she’s got enough to deal with right now.”

            “But you shouldn’t have had to deal with Elders on your own.”  He, more than anyone else, understood what Council of Elder members could be like. 

            “I can deal with them,” she assured him with a tried sigh.  “I’ve grown up use to dealing with them; takes a lot – or Kai in one of his moods - to cower me now.”  She looked at him suddenly with a critical eye.  “How are you feeling?”

            “Fiiiinnnnee….” He frowned at her, cautious now.  “Why?”

            She gave him silence as an answer for a moment.  “Be careful.  I see you wounded again.”

            He sighed with some resignation.  “I think my possible wounds should be pretty low on your priority list.  How about you concentrate on yourself for a change.”

            “I know exactly what’s happening with me,” she answered with a smile that made Calvin nervous.  “Don’t worry about me; I know what I’m doing.”

            “I sometimes wonder if you know too much.”

            “Of course I do, that’s what a seer does.”

            “No, I mean too too much,” knowing very well he’s not making any sense.  “Like you’ve been given so much information that you’re no longer really living a life anymore.”

            Emma stared at him.  He was the first person outside the family to really understood that.  The knowledge strangely hurt her, like it was just too much to take in all at once; to know that there really was someone out there that can fully comprehend the hardship that comes with being what she was.  It was too much.

            Calvin stared in horror as the first tear fell from Emma’s great big eyes.  She looked almost overwhelmed with pain.  “What… what…. What wrong?”  If someone were to walk in and see this, he was as good as dead.  This was all he needed on top of not having sanctuary and all that stuff.  God, he’s life is a mess…  “Oh come on….”

            Because she couldn’t talk it through, she simply got up and threw herself into his arms, hugging him tight enough to elicit a grunt from him.  The human contact did a lot to ease her sudden onslaught of emotions.  Moments like this, where she allowed herself to lose control and be vulnerable, were few and it was hard for her to deal.  But it was moments like this that reminded her why her family fought so hard for her, what they were willing to give up for her.  It made her so happy and so sad and so full of despair that she could hardly breathe.  And it hurt so much to know that there was understanding to be had; a warm hand to take hers when it just became too much.

            “It’s going to be okay,” he whispered softly, letting his arms fall around her.  He held her firmly, trying to hold all the pieces of her that he could see that were falling apart.  “We’re all here to protect you.”

            She laughed painfully, unable to let go yet.  “You are here to protect me.”  Tilting her head to the window at the prowling cats outside, “They’re here to protect the seers.”  She watched the sleek animalistic movements a moment, “All they ever see is the so-call gift; never the person.  I just want to be like everyone else.”

            And that was the most telling, truthful statement Calvin has heard from her. The poor girl had been stuck in a role since the moment she was born.  She was never allowed to be just a little girl with silly dreams and hopes.  She’s always had to be strong, be firm, be aware of the great big ugly world they lived in.  It was unbearably tragic and unfair.  “I’m sorry.”  Calvin wished he could give anything to give this sweet girl some relief from it all. 

            Shaking her head, still unable to pull herself together, “Don’t be.  Please don’t be.  You’re the first person to let me simply be.  Thank you for that.”

            “You deserve so much more.”

            The laughter was unintentional and it felt good. “Thank you for saying that,” she leaned back and brushed her lips gently across his cheek.  “Thank you for being here.  I know you had your own issues when you arrived but it’s nice having you here.  I’m glad you came.” 

            He felt himself relax.  “I’m glad I came here too.  It’s been… enlightening.”

            She laughed, this time with sheer amusement.  “That’s the nicest way you could have possibly put that.”

            “I’m a nice guy,” he answered with a grin, glad she was calm again.  He was never good with tears.

            “Yes, yes you are,” she leaned back and glazed at him for a moment, “Which is why you should forgive yourself more.”

            That sobered him fast.  “How much of my past can you see?” It was the first time he’s really given thought to what Emma can do.  It was always hinted at that seers saw not just what’s to come; but that they saw enough for other things that made them all the more dangerous. 

            “Enough to know that it wasn’t your fault.  Stop punishing yourself.”

            “You don’t understand...”

            “Yes I do.  Her fate was sealed with her own decision; there wasn’t anything you could have done to save her.  She wasn’t meant to be saved – and you paid the price.”

            He’s heard it before, but never quite so bluntly.  “I thought I loved her.”

            “You did,” she nodded.  It wasn’t a reassurance or sympathy, it was a statement.  “But love isn’t always enough for the Moon – there’s more cases in town to prove it than we like to talk about.  We don’t always get to choose and sometimes the choices aren’t what we expect.”

            “Case in point: Kai and Jing.”

            Emma smiled.  “I’m glad for that one, and that it was Kai.  He needs someone like her; someone that will stand up to him, someone that will challenge and protect him.”  She looked at him, still  not quite letting go.  “Don’t change the subject; we were talking about you.”

            “I thought we were talking about the Moon and how we didn’t have a choice.”

            “There are freewill choices and then there are other choices.  All I’m saying is to stop blaming yourself for the freewill choices of others.  You couldn’t have saved her – she didn’t want to be saved, she wanted to be right.”

            In his heart, Calvin knew that but he couldn’t stop himself from trying to defend the woman he had loved and lost… by his own hands.  “Emma…”

            “Don’t make me pull the seer’s card on you, ‘cause you know I will,” she told him.  “I’m right; not just because I’m a seer but because I can see that you are a good guy.  And good guys tend to get the short end of the stick where life is concerned… especially around here.  So take what little comfort you can and don’t let the rest of it crush you.”  She touched his beautiful face gently with her tip of her finger, as if memorializing it, and watched the pain flash across his eyes at the memories, “Please forgive yourself and let it go.”

            Closing his eyes a moment, he felt the benediction of her soft plead and felt his heart give a little.  And something tugged gently at it.

            “Ah hum…” the rough clearing of the throat loudly in the doorway broke the spell that had fallen between the two occupants.

            Emma dropped her hand and took a step back.  With a sigh, she pulled together the mantle of her role again with regret but did it anyways because she didn’t have any other choice.  “No I haven’t seen your sister.  And no I haven’t seen Kai or Xiu and I wouldn’t be in the hurry to look for them right now if I were you – especially Kai.”

            Nick watched the two a moment, Calvin unable to meet his eyes and Emma’s eyes… those world-weary eyes of a century old soul met his without flinching.  “The cougar’s council was wondering if they can have some words with the seers.”

            “No.”

            “And they would like to know if there’s anything they need to be…”

            “No.”

            “The panthers would like to know if they can pull some of their people back given that the cougars were attacked.  They’re concerned that they territory isn’t adequately protected if they were to be the targets next.”

            “Yes.”

            “WHAT?” Calvin turned suddenly.  “Are you crazy?”  All traces of the moment before have passed.  “Given everything that’s happened, you need more protection, not less.”

            “Having reluctant guards here isn’t going to make a of difference,” Emma argued before turning to Nick.  “Ella and I have already discussed it: no one needs to stay if they don’t want to, that includes our own people.  We can take care of ourselves.”

            Frowning with concern, Nick shook his head.  “Is there something we need to be aware of?”

            “There will be another attack,” Emma confirmed with a nod.  “How, when, where… I don’t have answers to any of that.  But it won’t be at least until the next full moon.  Fostering good will with the panthers by letting them go home now wouldn’t do any harm – they have to be as tired as we are and would like to go home.”

            When Nick looked like he was considering it, Calvin interjected, “Nick, you can’t be serious; knowing there’s a imminent attack?”

            “I understand,” Nick said reasonably.  “But we also have to take into account that everyone has been standing guard for weeks now and it’s taken a toll.  Something’s got to give before the tension snaps.  It might be better if we send some people away for now… if nothing than to ease some of the pressure that’s been building.  We don’t need an internal conflict right now preoccupying us with forces outside closing in.  A little space might be healthy for all involved.”

            “And our own people?” Calvin asked, unwittingly revealing his allegiance.

            “Obviously we won’t be leaving the inn unguarded.”

            Calvin shook his head.  “I don’t like it.”

            “Neither do I, but we need to consider all the fractions here.”  He looked at Emma again.  “How much of any of this have been divulged to the Alphas?”

            “Most of it.  Maybe not the exact account of when the attack might be.”

            “Is this something I can share with the others?”

            Emma shrugged.  “Sure.  Can’t do any harm for them to be aware of it.”

            Nick nodded reluctantly then looked at Calvin.  “A word?”

            “Seriously Nick?” Emma reprimanded with her hands on her hips.

            He merely slanted her a look and nodded to Calvin to join him outside.

            “It’s fine,” Calvin assured her with a half smile and followed Nick outside with sigh.  He could pretty much guess what kind of lecture he was about to…

            “Kai and Xiu sponsored your entrance at an emergency meeting of the Council of Elders – that’s why we came back to late this morning.  As of 5 a.m. this morning, you’re part of the Five Lake Wolves.”

            Everything went blank for a moment.  “What?”

            “You’re part of the pack now.”

            “I…” a part of him was still having trouble processing.  “I got sanctuary?” the relief was…

            “No,” Nick looked at him funny.  “It’s not just sanctuary.  You were admitted into the pack; as in you are now part of the family here.”

             Nothing in the world could have prepared him for that.  With his back thumping against the wall, it took Calvin a moment to realize he had lost his sense of balance and was using the wall to support his weak legs. 

            “Take a moment and let it sink in,” Nick said kindly, patting him on the shoulder.  “I know it’s sudden but Kai felt that you’ve earned your place here.  Between the fight and the research you’ve been doing, your contribution should be recognized.  By the way, Show and Alan are on their way back with that computer you wanted to look at; we can add B&E to their résumé of accomplishments.” 

            Calvin laughed reluctantly, trying to catch his breath.  “Please don’t tell me they’re in law enforcement as well.”

            “Okay,” Nick nodded, “I won’t tell you.”  He watched Calvin a moment, letting the guy have this moment before he dropped the hammer.  “You’re a smart guy.  I know I don’t have to tell you how the rest of the packs view the seers.”

            And there it was… the talk he had been expecting.  “It wasn’t like that.”

            “Even the perception can become problematic.”

            “So… what?  She’s not even allowed to have a friend?”

            “She has friends.”

            “Not always,” he pointed out.  “And not always when she needs ones,” and looked at him rather pointedly, “How’s your new mate?”

            If Nick was surprised that he knew, he didn’t show it.  “Just be careful.  Kai isn’t nice when he’s angered; and nothing gets to him faster than anything to do with his sisters.”

            “Don’t worry; I won’t give him a reason.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            The sun was setting again.  The rose hue rays lit the bedroom walls, painting them pink in color when they were usually a warm yellow.  It brought more warmth to the semi empty room.

            Kai turned his body a little, keeping his mate pressed tightly to his side.  He hadn’t meant to keep her in bed all day but felt little compulsion to leave.  He had brought her back to the café after their little… rendezvous in the woods.  It was a safe and nearby place to take her when he had finally come to his senses again. 

            She shifted in her sleep, trying to find a more comfortable position and he let her move about a moment before setting down beside him again.  Jing was all smooth skin and lean muscles, not an inch of her was wasted – long hours of training had whittled away any excess fat she might have otherwise accumulated.  She was much thinner than the curvy girls he usually kept company with, much harder in exterior and unwilling to let expectations weight her down.  And yet, he’s never wanted anyone to the same extent he wanted her… even before the moon made her intentions known.

            He’s never given it much thought before; always preferred to dismiss it as mere sibling rivalry.  Jing had always been Xiu’s girl; the one whose loyalty you didn’t question.  Everyone knew, or at least guessed, where her heart laid even if she never once gave them any reason to question her intentions.  The girls made comments but never out loud and never to her face – Jing had a place next to one of the  Pure that none of them could hope to obtain.  Sure they flirted and tried to ingratiate themselves but it can never get close to what Jing had.

            If asked, Kai couldn’t pinpoint the exact moment he began to notice his friend’s little sister… or what made her standout among girls that vied for his attention.  She was never one with the crowd; never one to try.  With her androgynous looks, pixie cut, and unpainted face, Jing was as far from the pretty primped girls that Kai usually dated as it gets.  She dressed for functionality, not to attract attention; yet Kai always easily pick her out of a crowd without an effort – like he had always been waiting for her. 

            “What are you thinking?” Jing asked, having awoke to the sight of a rather pensive Kai. 

            Leaning in, he pressed his lips to her temple a moment.  “How are you feeling?”

            “You mean can I still walk?” she replied with a smirk, “Sore but not broken.”

            He pressed her closer.  “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to be so rough with you.”

            “I’m fine,” nudging him away so she could see his face.  He was being awfully considerate for once.  “I’m hardly a wilting flower.  Now tell me what’s really going on.”

            “Doesn’t matter if you can take a hit or not, you’re still my mate and I need to be more careful with you.”

            “Is this about this morning in the woods?”

            He sighed.  “It’s about how I need to be treating you better.”

            Jing leaned back a little more and studied his face.  He was serious… and that was a little disconcerting.  She glanced at the spotted bruises on her arm.  “I’m alright, you know.  You didn’t actually hurt me.”  

            “I could have,” lining his hand up against the multiple finger bruises he could identify on her arm where he had grabbed her too tightly in his mindless quest to ground himself. 

            “You didn’t.”

            “But I could have.”

            “But you didn’t,” she insisted more firmly, ducking under so he was he was forced her look her in the eye rather than see the damage he had done to her.  “It’s not in your nature to hurt people.”

            He gave her a look that was part frown and part annoyance.  “There’s plenty of people in our own town that would disagree with you.”

            “Nope,” she shook her head at him.  “I would challenge that misconception.”

            “Jing…

            “People know you.  You’ve never waiver on your loyalties and people know where they stand with you.  You are not rash or irrational – except when it comes to your sisters but I think we can all agree that that’s a reasonable exception.  People know they can come to you with issues without your judgment being clouded by personality.  You’re a good guy, Kai; and if you tell anyone I said that, I’ll deny it to my dying breath.”

            The smirk was pure arrogance, so like his usual persona about town that Jing almost smacked him for it.  But then he leaned in and kissed her: long and passionate, completely without artifice.  It was probably the most honest he’s ever been with anyone in his life.  And was glorious.  Just for this moment, locked away in their own self contained world, he was free to simply be and enjoy  being with his mate. 

            Later he would face his duties and responsibilities to his family and pack.  He would be burdened with the stress of knowing how close to danger they all were.   He would feel the pressure of being the good son, the powerful Beta that others look to lead.  He would have to watch the fear in his sisters’ eyes and the feel the weight of their safety on his shoulders. 

            But right now, in this moment in time, he had her.  He had Jing.  And that was all that mattered. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            «The rope pulled at the wound, slowly bleeding her of what little strength she had left.  She was good and trapped.  The scent of the blood choked the fear from her.  She needed to get free as soon as she could; there was no way for her to last long in this condition, not with a wound this deep.  Her arms were numb from the cold air and her soaked clothes.  And fear obliterated any pain she might have any sense left to feel.  She needed to get out of here before the moon crested and was at its fullest. 

            “Come on…”  she strained against the ropes again.  She had to get out before…

            The howl was painful to listen to, raw cries from shifting broken vocal cord.  He was losing the fight… and not surprising given how much of that nasty anti-inhibitors they gave him.  

            Oh god, she wasn’t going to make it in time.  He was literally transforming before her very eyes; the wolf was breaking surface now.  Brown eyes darkened a split second before it went light and the glow of golden eyes told her that she would never get away in time.  The rumbling growl grew deeper as his chest expanded and his body shifted beneath his wet torn clothes.  Even knowing it was unless, she couldn’t stop herself from struggling harder, pulling at the ropes until her skin was raw and blood soaked the nylon strands, staining them red.  But she had been taught to survive and she would fight and keep fighting until…

            The chain that kept him back snapped with a loud clank; one that startled the gasp from her.  The wolf had caught her scent, the fresh blood drawing his attention line a homing beacon.  She closed her eyes, unable to look at those bright shiny eyes that had turn toward her with a gaping jaw full of sharp teeth.  She could only hope that she didn’t shame herself by screaming when he attacked.

            She felt more than heard his approach, deathly silent even with the wet pine needle beneath them breaking under their weight.  The warm breath drifted over her cheek before she felt the sharp points of canines press up against the tender side of her turned throat ready to mercifully end everything with a quick snap of his…»

            Gasping, she sat up in bed and took in gulps of warm humid air.  She the flesh at , still feeling the ghostly phantom of sharp teeth.  Finding nothing but nervous sweat that beaded on her collar, she took another deep bracing gulp of air and tried to process the dream.  It didn’t make sense… at least she didn’t think it did.  This wasn’t what she had seen before... at least not of her own last moments. 

            But there was something hauntingly familiar about this dream as well.  She hadn’t had it in awhile now but she recognized all the movements.  Something was wrong… something was off about all of it.  She was missing something… but what?!?

 

To be continued….

------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note:  Long awaited… if anyone is still waiting or this!  Sorry, lots of personal stuff came up this year and everything else simply had to take a backburner to it.  Hoping to finish this story by the end of the year but can’t promise since I’m still dealing external forces beyond my control.  Hope everyone is having a good summer.  Onwards and forward!