Chapter 2 – Sanctuary

Shifting Lives

Chapter 2 – Sanctuary

--------------------------------

                The scent of freshly roasted coffee and sweet baked goods was like oxygen after a long dive under water.  Shaking off the excess moisture on his head, Calvin took a deep breath and told himself to hold onto his patience.  There was nothing he could do to make Mother Nature cooperate and no one could have foreseen the flash flood that wiped out the road.  It’d be hours if not days before he could go anywhere.  So much for his brilliant idea of cutting through the valley. 

                “Welcome to Cozy Café,” the waitress greeted with a bright smile and a ridiculous frilly Lolita dress.  “Can I seat you?”

                Eyeing the girl a little funny, Calvin nodded his head and looked around the cottage-like décor of the first building he had walked into amongst the violent tempest outside.  Each wall was papered with a different pattern and design, all in soft muted pastel colors the bled into one another.  The tables and chairs were stained a warm walnut, old fashioned and varied in design, no two pieces were alike.  The room was decorated with antique plates and small hand painted dolls that wouldn’t look out of place in museum.  A genuine working Franklin stove burned merrily in one corner, giving off enough heat to infuse the whole café with warmth.  There was something fantastical about the whole place, as if he’s just stepped into a storybook – or a cosplay café complete with a live dress-up doll. 

                “Can I get you something warm to drink?” the Lolita waitress asked, eyes bright and friendly.  She did a once over on him and grinned, “Americano?”

                Surprised that she had correctly guessed his drink preference, Calvin nodded and sat down without dripping too much over the swept clean floors.  Looking down at the single sheet menu she handed him before retreating to the kitchen, he felt slightly surreal in the time-displaced room.  The café offered simple fares and complicated desserts.  Uncertain, he decided that it would be best to try something plain and pronounceable on the menu: chicken salad sandwich. 

                “Americano,” the waitress announced unexpectedly from behind him as she placed the steaming cup and saucer to the right of him, “and I thought you might enjoy a chicken salad sandwich on sourdough,” placing the platter of sandwich and fresh greens in front of him.  “The bread is a local specialty and we make the dressing ourselves.”  She smiled brightly as she came around and stood by the side of the table and gave a small bow at the waist.  “Would you like anything else?”

                Still staring at the sandwich he hadn’t asked for but had been prepared to order, Calvin was momentarily lacking in speech.  The strange waitress’ unerring judgment was starting to unnerve him a little.  “Um… thanks.  This is fine.”

                Again smiling that bright sunshiny smile, she bobbed a curtsy.  “Enjoy,” and pivoted on her toes and flounced away, her ruffled skirt bouncing as she went. 

                Feeling about as turn about as he had in the rain, Calvin took a breath and enjoyed the most delicately delicious chicken salad sandwich he’s ever had in his life.  Paired with the smoky rich Americano, it went a long way to ease the tension and stress on his shoulders.  And the bread, it was an exceptional perfection of light fluffiness with a hearty chewy texture that held its own against the sweet chicken salad; he could eat that bread all day and not be tired of it.  Six months on the road, instead of worrying about his next destination or where he’s to bunk for the night, he felt himself relaxed and just simply enjoying the moment. 

                The tiny twinkling bells above the door announced the arrival for more customers seeking shelter.  Three giggly high school girls rushed in from the rain, soaked to their white knee-highs and bubbling over with excitement.  They shook themselves like playful little puppies, sprinkling the front rug with droplets of water. 

                “Welcome to Cozy Café,” the little Lolita greeted, “Can I seat you?”

                One of the girls was struggling a little to close her pink polka-dotted umbrella, suddenly red faced for no reason while the other two giggled conspiratorially.  “Is this where we can get the love spell?”

                Little Lolita cocked her head and looked at them blankly a moment, her warm welcoming smile slipping away as she clutched her hands together in front of her.  “I’m sorry but I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

                The second girl clutched her friends’ hands, suppressing the tremor of excitement.  “I heard that the owner is a psychic; she can see the future for you if you ask her to.  And that she can create a love spell if you want to catch someone’s heart.”

                “Love is a feeling, not a deception,” the waitress answered cocking her head to the side as she stared at them, twisting a silver ring on the middle finger of her right hand.  “You can’t make someone love you if they don’t.”

                The third girl frowned. “So… you can’t make love spells?”

                “Love spells aren’t real,” the little Lolita answered with a tiny frown before gesturing to a table.  “Would you like to try some tea cakes?  They're fresh from the oven and will make you feel better.”

                “I don’t want tea cakes,” the third girl pouted, obviously annoyed. 

                “Please sit,” the waitress tried to usher them to the table again.  “You should have some tea and cake and wait out the storm,” looking out one of the irregularly shaped windows with its old fashion thick spiral glass.  “It’s very bad weather outside.”

                The second girl frowned slightly and stared at the weirdly calm waitress while her two friends look at the lightening show outside.  “You know what, guys?  I think we should have some tea and cakes.”

                “I’m going back to the resort,” the third girl pronounced.  “This was a waste of time.”

                “Tong Tong,” the first girl argued.  “The weather is really bad.  We should stay.  Hot tea sounds really good right now.”

                “We’re going to get in trouble if we stay here any longer,” Tong Tong whined.

                “We’re already going to get in trouble for leaving the school trip without permission,” the second girl pointed out, “we might as well just stay and wait for the rain to lighten up a little.”  She looked at the waitress again, who answered her suggestion with an encouraging nod.

                With a mulish glare, Tong Tong her heels.  “I’m going back to the resort before I get into any more trouble than I already am for this stupid trip.  You coming, Mei Mei?”

                Mei Mei, the first giggly girl, looked uncertain.  “Xiao Man, maybe we should just go.”

                “I’m not going out there in that storm again,” Xiao Man said as she turned to look at the waitress.  “Tea and cake?”

                The little Lolita waitress nodded calmly in agreement and gestured toward the table for all three again.  “Tea and cake would be best.”

                “I’m leaving,” Tong Tong huffed then flounced out the door, leaving poor Mei Mei torn between her friends.

                “Are you sure you won’t come?” Mei Mei pleaded. 

                Xiao Man shook her head.  “I think you should stay but I know how you are.”  She grinned at her friend to show her there were no hard feelings.  “I’ll see you at the resort, okay?”

                Mei Mei made a pathetic face and nodded before grabbing her pink umbrella and chasing her friend out into the rain. 

                Taking a deep breath, Xiao Man let it out slowly before finally spotting Calvin in the corner watching the whole thing with amused eyes.  She gave an apologetic smile and ducked her head, blushing with embarrassment. 

                “It was a wise decision,” Calvin said gently, laughing inside at the antics of the adolescence.  Were he and his friends ever that young?
                “Sorry about that,” she gave a weak laugh.  “She’s just upset because the guy she really likes really likes someone else.  And then we heard about this café and how someone came here and was given a charm and…” she shrugged and laughed again.  “Sounds so stupid nooow…”

                “Well, at least you’re not in the rain,” he concluded and lifted his cup in solute. 

                She laughed.  “There’s that,” and grinned in agreement as the Lolita waitress came back with a tray.  “Wow…”

                “English black tea with cream, currant cake with lemon glaze,” she poured and served one handed without putting the tray down.  “Enjoy your…” she turned and watched the window again, a tiny frown marred her face. 

                Off in the distance, a gentle rumble rolled along before something screeched and clanged.  But it was far enough in the distance that Calvin’s sensitive ears only picked it up because the waitress had alerted him to it; normal human ears shouldn’t have.  He watched the little Lolita with more interest and some concern.  She didn’t smell lycanthrope, though it was difficult to say under the overwhelming scent of coffee and sugar in the room and on her person.  He’s been carefully avoiding marked territories since his banishment but the storm may have thrown him off.  If he’s unknowingly wondered into a pack territory, he needed to leave in a hurry.    

                “Is something wrong?” Xiao Man asked, a little concerned as she turned to the window.

                The little Lolita sighed softly.  “The weather is very bad today,” and made her way to the kitchen again, her soft calm face inscrutable.

                Deciding that maybe he should risk the flooded roads and backtrack out of town, Calvin got up just as the café door opened once again and shepherd in rain, mud, and another girl pushing a flatbed cart full of boxes.  This time, he didn’t have trouble picking up the scent; the girl may not be wolf but she has definitely been around one recently. 

                Laughing joyously as she shook out water from her hood, the new girl pushed the cart further in and greeted the waitress that had returned to receive the shipment with a grin.   “The roads are closed in and out town.  Looks like the tourists are trapped again.”

                “Oh no…” Xiao Man set her teacup down.

                The newcomer winced and flushed with embarrassment.  “Sorry.  Were you with the school out at the resorts?”

                “Yeah,” Xiao Man made a face and slump in her chair.  “Do you know how long the roads will be closed?”

                “At least a day or two if this rain doesn’t let up,” she said with a sympathetic smile.  “But better stuck in the here or at the resort than on the road; the landslides could be pretty treacherous around here during weather like this.”  She unloaded the boxes on her flat cart with quick familiar hand.  “In fact, I saw one just now.”

                “Saw what?”

                “Mudslide,” she explained, “Swept a parked car right off the side of the road.”

                The waitress’ face darkened a moment and she paused.  “Anyone hurt?”

                “Don’t know, it was a little further down the road,” the new girl said, pausing too as she peered at the waitress.  Something in the little Lolita’s eyes must have registered.  “Should I go check?”

                Twisting the silver ring on her hand again, there was a heavy silence as the waitress weighed something in her mind. 

                “I’ll go,” Calvin volunteered so suddenly that he startled the new girl.  She literally jumped as she turned.  dropped open and she simply stared at him.  He thought best to play it normal.  “Is something wrong?”

                Teeth clicking shut; she shook her head and took a step back as he approached.  “No… nothing,” and moved several more steps away from him busying herself with the boxes.

                Curious by the reaction for the human girl, he stopped.  Nope, she didn't smell like a wolf but there was something not quite right either.  “Um… should I go check on the car?” he asked this of the curious little waitress and waited for verdict.  When she reluctantly nodded, he couldn’t help but asked, “Should I be worried?”  She nodded again.  “Okay then,” he replied and emptied out his pockets, just in case.  “Can you hang on to these for me?”  His cell phone and wallet were important, he didn’t want them getting wet in the torrent. 

                The waitress held out her hands to receive all the items.  “There’s a bed and breakfast at the end of town call The Sweet Apple Inn.  You should stay there tonight.  I’ll call for a room for you.”

                The other girl’s head snapped toward the waitress, the undisguised disbelief clear on her face.  If it was a trap, Calvin was certain his own curiosity was going to get him killed but what real choices did he have if he was trapped there.  “Sure.  Thanks.”

                “Four feet.”

                “What?”

                “It’s four feet,” the waitress repeated mysteriously before turning away.  “I’ll call the inn.”

                Still confused but oddly intrigued, Calvin stepped out into the rain and was immediately soaked to the bone.  Following his own innate sense of direction and danger, he went to where he thought that earlier rumbling had come from.  A flash flood had wiped away a part of the road, piling mud, rocks, and various debris toward one side of the canyon.  The town was situated deep in a valley; far enough away from civilization to give it a surreal otherworldliness but close enough to have a thriving roving community whose primary source of income was the nature resorts with its natural springs that boast healing properties.  But it also isolated the town from the outside when extreme weather wreaked havoc on them. 

                The blue car was partially buried and had been carried by the flood across the road to the other side of the narrow valley.  Doors locked and empty, it had definitely been a parked vehicle.  Besides some other debris, there didn’t appear to be any damage beyond that.  He was about to walk away and get himself out of the storm when something caught his eyes.  Buried almost completely in mud was the tip of something femininely pink… like the umbrella those girls that had left earlier had been carrying. 

                Hurrying over, he dug with his hands for a moment and pulled out the umbrella in confusion.  Oh please, oh please… looking around the wet empty streets, he chanced it and started to shift, letting the animal inside him out.  Without the aid of a full moon, it took more effort but adrenaline helped.  Senses becoming keen, even the downpour couldn’t obscure the scent of the sickening fruity perfume favored by the teenagers.  Fingers extended to claws, he started to dig through the dirt, rocks and mud.  He was faster and stronger as part wolf than he was as a man.  Three feet of shifting earth, he almost stopped until the words of the waitress echoed in his head.  Four feet; she had said that it was four feet.  Digging harder against the sliding mud, he came upon the limp hand and latched on, afraid of losing her again under the moving ground.  He clawed with one hand as he pulled the arm and body attached to it out of the mound.  And as the body came free, another arm appeared under it.

                “OH MY GOD!” someone behind him screamed.  Ignoring it, he dragged the second body out of the dirt, exerting more force than he should on that single hand he was using as a hold on the girl.  By the time others came to help, he had reverted back under the guise of the dark and rain, hurriedly checking them for vitals before giving CPR to the second girl.

                Someone was holding an umbrella over his head as he worked to revive her, the one call Mei Mei.  Her face was deathly pale, the rain washing the mud away, and he forced her airway clear for her to breathe.  But she had been under that mud too long and he had left that café too late.  No amount of effort was going to save the girl now but he tried anyways.  After 10 minutes, with the paramedics arriving at last to help, he finally stopped trying. 

                Xiao Man was screaming at the top of her lungs, sobbing into the arms of someone that looked to be a chaperon for the school trip.  Others were attending to the first girl, Tong Tong, but Calvin already knew it was too late for her as well.  The blue of her lips even in the partial darkness were obvious to his sharper wolf eyes – not the mention the scent of death around her –  was why he chose the second girl to try to save.  Sitting on his hunch in the mud, he gasped for air and felt painful regret leech him of his strength. 

                “You tried,” the soft voice above him said.  Calvin looked up and met the eyes of the little Lolita from the café; she held the oversize umbrella shielding him.  “That’s all we can do.”

                “Why didn’t you try to save them?” he whispered, not sure if she could hear above the screaming and crying of the crowd that had gathered.  “You knew.”

                “There’s only so much we can do,” she said unwaveringly as she gazed at the gathering students surrounding the ambulance, “Only so much we’re allowed.”

                “Why?” he asked, not sure he wanted the answer. 

                “Because you can’t save everyone,” she said with a sigh.  “Come on,” leaning her head toward the café.  “Let’s get you cleaned up and warm again.”  She glanced at him with regretful but knowing eyes, “Not that you need any help.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Bernice watched from the window, unable to bring herself to go outside.  Her reluctance to help had more to do with something besides her unwillingness to face death.  But it didn't mean she didn't care.  She had the coffee cup, towel and blanket ready when they came back, soaking wet and painfully depressed.  “Here,” offering the towel, “Thought you might need this.”

                He nodded his thanks and dried his hair and face before screaming his helpless frustration into the towel.  Dropping boneless into the chair, he looked utterly defeated. Ravaged with pain and exhaustion, the last few months had taken a toll and he was finally allowing himself to feel the worse of it now. 

                Unable to walk away from someone hurt, Bernice pressed the warm coffee into his hands, closing her palms over his as she fussed over him.  “Drink this.  It’ll help you warm up.”  She grabbed the blanket and draped it over his shoulder, careful to not jostle him as he sipped the hot drink.  She looked up when the kitchen door swung open again.  “You alright, Emma?”

                “Why?” Calvin whispered into the nothingness before he looked up accusingly at the waitress who had returned with warm cookies for him.  “Why didn’t you say something sooner?  They didn’t have to die.”

                “You couldn’t have saved them,” she replied eerily calm as she set the plate down, no longer the happy sweet girl she had been before.  “And they didn’t want to be saved.”

                “You don’t know that!” he snarled. 

                “Stop it!” Bernice physically put herself between them, her face anxious with uncertainty.  “Stop yelling at her.  She didn’t do anything.”

                “Exactly!  She didn’t do ANYTHING!” he shouted even knowing he was being unreasonable.  “She knew they were in danger and she did NOTHING.”

                Emma tilted her head and asked, “And how would you suggest that I word it to three skeptical teenagers that would convince them that they were doomed?” 

                He opened his mouth to make a flippant remark and then stopped.  If a slip of a girl such as this Emma had told him he would die if he left the café, he would have thought her insane… and left the café.  If she had warned him of danger when he had been determined to leave, he would have thought her crazy… and left the café.  If she had suggested that he tried their delicacies and wait out the storm, he would have thought her strange… but maybe stayed for tea and cake and to stay out of the rain. 

                “You tried, didn’t you?” he asked, deflated now, “The tea and cake thing with that other girl.”

                Blinking those wide dark eyes, Emma nodded slowly.  “She wanted to be saved.”  She sat and helped herself to a cookie.  “It’s not always easy measuring the extent you can influence things.  People don’t always react well and hind sight is 20/20,” gently reprimanding him. 

                He had the grace to flush with embarrassment, “I’m sorry.  I was out of line.”

                “You’re human, kind of,” she said, gently patting her hair dry.  “It’s natural.”  She looked up at her friend and held hands with her a moment.  “Nicie, would you take our guest to the inn for the night?”

                Staring at her friend for a long searching moment, Bernice sighed and nodded.  Turning to the tired man, she offered a half smile of encouragement.  “I’m Bernice; Nicie to most.  This is Emma.”

                He glanced at one then the other, not quite too tired to be cautious.  After the drenching in the rain, Emma’s scent was different, not like her friend’s, not like a lycanthrope – more human than anything but strangely familiar.  If he’s wondered into pack territory and they don’t know he’s lycan…  “I’m ronin.” 

                Bernice nodded, “Nice to meet you, Ronin.  Do you have bags with you?”

                He laughed despite himself.  “No, I’m a ronin, a vagrant, pack-less.  I don’t want any trouble from your people… if you are…”  He didn’t even know what he was saying.  They weren’t like him but they weren’t normal oblivious human either.  Whatever they were, he simply didn’t want to be caught up in anything. 

                The two girls glanced at one another.  “This valley is a sanctuary, agreed upon neutral grounds by the five clans in the surrounding territories.  No one pack controls this place.”

                Neutral grounds weren’t unheard of; just very difficult to keep.  Well that answers some questions – like how two non-lycans knew so much, probably diluted bloodlines… or non-mated females.  “Five clans?”

                “Yes,” Emma smiled at his skepticism, “It’s better this way; no one wishes to break the rules when the oppositions can be so overwhelming.  It’s worked.”

                “I see…” and he did.  “I’m Calvin; originally from North Thumberland.”

                More than a little startled, “You’re not a Mountain Gray wolf-shifter, are you?” the two asked. 

                “Yes…” he watched them warily.  “Is that a problem?”

                “No,” Emma frowned, clearly disturbed by the information before turning to look at an obviously uncomfortable Bernice.  Something zipped between them as Emma fidgeted with her ring again.  “It’s just… we were told that there weren’t many around.”

                “There’s not,” he admitted, “There’s only a handful left from the North Thumberland area.  If there are more in other territories, I’m not aware of it.”  Mountain Greys aren’t common, nor welcomed in most parts, keeping to themselves as much as they could. 

                Bernice frowned, her discomfort obvious but so was her concern.  “So you really have no home then.”

                The smile was full of bitter pain, “I didn’t play well with the new pack in the territory.”

                The two girls exchanged glances before Bernice nodded and stood.  “Come on, I’ll take you to the inn.  You can get warm and clean there.”

                “I have a motorcycle.”

                “Leave it,” Nicie said heading to the door.  “It’s too dangerous to drive around on it tonight anyways, my ride is better in this weather.  Your bike will be safe enough here.  You can come back for it tomorrow morning.” She pointed to the blue van with colorful embellishments on the side.  “That’s me.”

                “Sweet Apple Bakery?” he asked, following her outside but going to the bike for his bags.  “Any connection to the inn?”

                “My friends and I run both,” she replied, opening the doors for him.  The sweet scent of fresh baked goods flooded his senses for a moment.  “Emma works at the café part time as a favor to a friend; she’s mostly at the bakery though.  We supply the resorts with all their breads and such.”  She waved at the Emma in the doorway before getting into the car. 

                “So she recommended the inn because she works there?” Calvin asked, getting into the van as she turned the engine.

                “Possibly,” Nicie answered, pulling into the lane, slowing as they pass the ambulance that was still situated by the landslide.  She shook her head with sympathy as they moved pass several crying students from the field trip.  “But most likely because she thought you could use a good night’s rest."  She turned the wheel two handed, struggling with for a moment in the muddy roads.  "For you, the inn is the best place for it.”

                “Why do you say that?”

                She smiled mildly into the rainy night.  “You’ll see when you get there.”

                Fascinated and wary, he watched the darkened street for a few minutes.  “Emma; she’s a seer?”             “Yes.”  She answered with a reluctant sigh.  “She must think you aren't a bad egg if she’s willing to reveal it to you so easily.”  Turning her head, she regarded him with a warning look, “Don’t break that trust.”

                He nodded with understanding.  He could well imagine the kinds of people that would take advantage of a girl that ‘sees’ too much.  Seers were rare even amongst their kind, almost unheard of amongst the humans; and most of them don’t end up well.  There have been stories, tragedies really, of wars started over control of those special ones, and even more stories of those same poor souls losing their gripes on reality over time – it was a hard life to live. 

                “We’re here,” Bernice said quietly as she slowed the car.

                Looking up, Calvin was surprised to find a quaint plantation home brightly lit against the night.  Despite the shuttered windows against the storm, it looks warm and inviting.  And as they drove pass the short stone wall that surrounded the property a surge of energy pull at him.  He gasped, feeling the pressure against his heart, and turned quickly to look at the gates.  Etched into the dark stone and lit by the moon and rain were ancient symbols he hadn’t seen outside of text books in his youth.  “Holy Ground.”  Lands that had been blessed by the ancients and held great mysterious powers onto themselves. 

                “The inn and bakery are both sitting on it,” Nicie explained as she turned up the long driveway.  “No shifter can turn here; not you, not anyone.  It's one of the reasons this valley was designated neutral grounds by the clans.”  She smiled gently at him as she stopped the car.  “You’re safe here.”

                Safe.  He’d almost forgotten what that was like. 

                “Come inside.”  She grabbed one heavy bag and hurried out of the rain before he could orientate himself. 

                With no other recourse, Calvin followed and followed the girl inside…. and was promptly greeted just inside the door by a notched crossbow to his face.  Though that wasn’t quite as surprising as who was holding it.  Hands still in the air, he could only stared gapped mouthed at, “Ella?”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                CRASH!

                Emma stared at the broken porcelain on the floor and sighed.   Turning, she grabbed the broom and carefully picked up the broken pieces before sweep up the floor clean of any shards.  Absentmindedly, she cleared the rest of the tables and placed the soiled rag in the sink for clean up. 

                Had she done the right thing? 

                Calvin wasn't a bad man, of that she was certain.  But everything she's seen since his arrival has been muddled with uncertainty and tinged with a hint of danger.  Things were shifting a little too quickly for her to read clearly.  Which could only mean there were more elements she's not seeing yet influencing events, creating a constant state of flux in what she sees. 

                Perhaps putting him at the Inn and in such close quarters had been a bad idea.  But those horribly sad eyes on his handsome face had screamed at her to help.  And no amount of darkness around him could convince her that he was a danger to them.  Well… not directly anyways. 

                Sighing, Emma closed the café and resigned herself to another restless night of seeing too much and not enough.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                «It had been a bad idea coming here but it was also too late to turn back now.  She had to see it through.  She just hoped her curiosity wasn't going to get her killed.  Though if her brother found out about this lame brain adventure of hers, he'd probably strangle her himself. 

                But where should she start?  The woods were a big territory and it's not like the territories were neatly marked by pathways and signs for her to read.  Of course, the worse thing would be that she stumbled upon the wrong place and meet up with those that didn't exactly have their inner selves under control.  Now that would be a recipe for disaster. 

                *Stop thinking of the worse and get your head on straight,* she thought with a sigh.  Focus on the problem at hand.  Where should she head to? 

                Before she could take another step, she heard the deliberate snap of twigs announcing that she was no longer alone.  Someone… something had found her.

                Turning slowly to search the woods that was dark with shadows, it took her much longer to spot him than she expected with the moon almost full above.  Of course with his midnight coat he blended into the darkness a little too well.  If it weren't for those unnaturally bright, mesmerizing turquoise eyes…»

                She woke up with a start, eyeing popping open like they had been rubber-banded and snapped.  Looking around the familiar room, she sat up slowly and searched the shadowed corners for a moment – nothing; just the same empty space and dust bunnies.  Pressing a hand to her pounding heart, she willed herself to relax.  But the vivid dream played itself again in her mind. 

                Those eyes… those bright turquoise eyes.  Though she had never seen them before, they seemed almost familiar. 

                But it was a dream; just a dream… right?

To be continued…