Chapter 5 – Fringe

Shifting Lives

Chapter 5 – Fringe

--------------------------------

                «The receding moon overhead glowed as brightly as if at its fullest, throwing out enough energy and light to tug at his inner beast.  Had he been alone, he’d answer the call of the wild and give himself over to the Moon.  But he wasn’t – and he would never allow himself to put her at risk for any reason.

                “It’s beautiful out here,” she exclaimed as she danced about the green clearing, deep into the woods and away from civilization.  She opened her arms and spun in circles, allowing the moon to guide her.  “I can’t wait until I get to turn.”

                “Not until you’re mated,” he reminded her gently, resisting the urge to howl at the moon.  It was a perfect night to go wild. 

                Dancing her way over, she threw her arms around him.  “I can’t wait to be truly and completely yours,” and sealed that proclamation with a kiss that seemed to go on forever.  She finally came up for breath again, “Let’s make love tonight.  Right here.”

                His whole body clinched at the suggestion but his intellect won.  Gently setting her back, "We can't," though it pained him.  He was a healthy young man; this was temptation of the worse kind.  "You should wait for your True Mate."

                 "You are my True Mate, Calvin," she implored, "I know it in my heart."

                "You heart shouldn't be what guides you, Genie," he replied, "It has to be the Moon.  You have to wait for the Moon to tell you."

                "And it will," she insisted, throwing herself into his arms again, trying to convince him in her tight hold.  "I know I'm going to have my Mating Dream soon and it's going to tell me that you and I are meant to be; that I belong to you." 

                Gently her hair, he nodded.  "And until that time, we cannot defy tradition and…"

                "It's the 20th century, Calvin," she pouted.  "No one expect anyone to be a when they officially mate."

                "Well I do," he replied firmly.  "And I want us to start our lives together the right way.  I don't want to give your father any reason to…"

                Genie's bottom lip jutted out stubbornly.  "I can't believe this is about my father again."

                "Your father is Alpha," he pointed out, "And has the power to make me disappear."

                "Daddy would never do that," she insisted, "He knows how I feel about you."

                Calvin nodded, reframing from letting her know that it was for that reason he's been getting less than subtle hints about keeping his distance from her.  The Alpha didn't want his precious daughter anywhere near the orphan gray wolves and had sent his lackeys to make it clear.  If Jiro and Benji hadn't arrived when they did… Calvin didn't even want think about how far the Alpha's attack dogs might have taken things.  Living on the fringes of society has its pitfalls.

                "And once we're mated," Genie sing-song-ed, "We'll live happily ever after," before dancing away, letting the Moon carry her over the wide open field. 

                Smiling, Calvin let himself relax and simply enjoy the quiet moment with his girl.  All he wanted to do, for even just a few moments, was to forget the troubles of his lonely life.  So he watched Genie dance and laugh her way across the fresh grass, the moon glowing bright overhead. 

                …Then she was standing there, holding the jeweled blade in her hand.  The smile slipped from Calvin's face as he looked around the suddenly dark woods; the full moon over head barely pierced the thick branches to help illuminate the all important moment.  Something didn’t feel right…

                “After this,” Genie whispered harshly, her eyes wide with excitement and something more, “We’ll be together forever.  I will finally truly belong to you and you will finally be all mine.”

                “Wait Genie,” he panted, breathing becoming hard as he fought the animal within him.  He lifted his hands and looked at the sharpened nails that were beginning to emerge from his long fingers.  The change was coming on too fast.  “Something isn’t right here.”

                “It’ll be fine,” she reassured him, “you’re just feeling the effects of that anti-inhibitor tea.”

                “That may be,” his chest hurt.  It felt like there was a fire spreading inside of him.  This was nothing like what Jiro had described and felt worse than his first frightening uncontrolled shift into his wolf.  “But I think maybe we should abort this.  Something feels really off right now and I don’t want to chance…”

                “It’s going to be alright,” Genie insisted as she sliced the thin skin across her own wrist.  “I know we’re meant to be together.  I know it.”

                The metallic scent of the blood flooded the air, snapping the last thread of control Calvin had over the wolf.  The dark night opened up like daylight as his body and mind twist and morphed, all shreds of his humanity fell to the wayside as the animal roared to the forefront.  All there was left was instinct and hunger… and the scent of the fresh blood fed both. 

                Genie’s eyes grew wide as the wolf turned and charged.  And the man inside could do nothing but screamed helplessly as he watched her determined eyes turned to fear then panic as she did exactly as she shouldn’t… she turned and ran.»

                "GENIE!"

                He reached out on pure instinct, catching the hand that had been close.  The breakfast tray wobbled for a second before she balanced it on one arm, letting him have the other.  Warm chocolate eyes stared back calmly as he gasped for air, still halfway between reality and dream.  When he finally had a foothold of awareness and came back to his senses, he slowly let go – one finger at a time. 

                "I'm sorry," he whispered; his throat parched, his heart beating hard against his chest. 

                Emma barely blinked as she slowly set the tray by the bed, her original intent.  "I brought you breakfast.  Something to ease your stomach," pulling back the lid on the bowl of salted rice porridge.  "Drink the water first before you eat anything.  The coffee is for after the food, I don't think your stomach can handle it empty right now."

                Because he was still trying to find his way to some understanding, he nodded and thanked her.  "What are you doing in here?"

                "Bringing you breakfast," she answered with an amused tone as she turned to leave.  "I thought that's been established already."

                "I could have just come downstairs, you know."  Sitting up in his bed with slow aching motions, he watched her cross the room to pick up another tray.  "What is that?"

                "Your dinner," she answered.  "Bernice dropped it off last night."  She opened the cover, "And it looks like you didn't wake up to have any of it."

                "Last night?"  He blinked and looked around the bright room.  "I didn't hear her come in."  The gently swinging clock on the wall said it was just after nine now. 

                "I figured," she replied, "Not that you heard me either when I dropped off your breakfast yesterday."

                "How long have I been asleep?" finding this disturbing.  How dead had he been to the world to not have notice these girls traipsing through his room?

                "Little more than 2 days now."

                "TWO DAYS?" he moved too fast in the bed and his entire body screamed at him.  "I've been asleep for 48 hours?"

                "More like fifty plus," she corrected and nudged her chin toward his bed stand.  "That's your third breakfast tray." 

                He glanced at it without seeing anything.  Two days?  He's been asleep for more than two days now?  How the hell did that happen?  Oh god… what happened with Chun and the others?

                "We checked in on you several times when you didn't come down for food," Emma explained gently, "But Ella said to just let you sleep.  You looked like you needed it."  The bedraggled look became him, as did the stubble that shadowed his chin.  There was something a little dangerous and exciting about him when not perfectly put together.  Shaking herself, she moved to the door.  “Come down when you’re ready, it’d give us a chance to tidy up your room while you get some air and stretch your legs.”

                “Thank you,” he said just as the door closed and he was left with his own thoughts again. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                "He's awake," Emma said as she stopped in the bakery doorway.  

                Hands not pausing in measuring flour from the open sack, "Did you tell him anything?"

                "Just that he's been asleep for two days."  She glanced at her watch, another forty minutes before she had to head down to the café but she should start getting ready. 

                Ella nodded, "It'll probably be better if you and I stay out of the game for now."  She didn't want to think about Calvin; it inevitably led to thoughts of his friend. 

                "You honestly think that's going to happen?" Emma asked, her brows furrowed with concern.  "You think anyone will let us?"  It wasn't a criticism; it was fearful hope.  "Do you think we can?" 

                "I think we have to try," Ella replied and pulled the sack closed, sending a cloud of fine flour into the air.  Coming back to the bakery had been like riding a bike; it was all muscle memories.  "I just… I'm just wondering if it wouldn't have been better to let this all play out in the first place; see where the wind takes us."

                "That was never going to happen," Emma replied firmly.  "We both know that."

                "And at what point are we suppose to just stop trying to interfere with fate?" Ella asked, a little more harsh than she intended as she shoved the sack of flour under the counter.  "I can't see any good coming from anything we've tried to do."

                "Maybe that's what we're supposed to do.  Isn't that why these visions are…"

                "I just think we need to let this ride out for a while," Ella sighed tiredly and picked up a jar of honey from the supplies shelf.  "I don't want to do anything that might make it worse."

                "I'm not sure how it could be worse," Emma muttered darkly before revealing, "I saw Bernice in my dreams again last night."

                Knowing she wouldn't have mentioned it without reason, "How bad was it?" Ella asked, pouring a generous amount into the mixer.  The sweetened bread made from the regional honey had a very distinct taste to it. 

                "She was dead."

                The jar slipped from Ella's hands and shattered on the concrete floor.  Standing over the wreckage, watching the sweet golden syrup slide over her dusted white shoes, Ella willed her heart down from .  It felt like the world was closing in on her again, leaving her with nowhere to run again. 

                "I'm going to tell Xiu and the others."  She had spent the entire night in sweating fear, trying to keep herself from rushing into Nicie's room and holding onto her friend.  "I'm going to protect her, no matter what."

                "Of course," Ella nodded as she slowly bent over to pick up the broken pieces… much like her life.  "I'll talk to Kai; they may have to send Nicie out of town with some beta guards."

                "Whatever it takes, but don’t tell Kai yet.  I want to give ourselves a chance to handle it before it gets around and the clan gets involved.  Xiu will find a way to make sure she’s protected."

                Ella nodded in agreement as she cleaned up.  They would have to report it to the heads of the beta guards as per their duties but Xiu would grants their wishes and keep it discreet while Kai would want to go through the proper channels.  "Okay, I'll keep it quiet for now.  But if the vision reoccurs, we'll have to take official steps to protect her."  She glanced at the door leading to the inn.  It'd be another hour before Nicie would be up to help with the morning bread delivers. 

                "Do I tell her?" Emma asked fearfully.  How do you tell a friend you saw their death? 

                "No," Ella shook her head.  "I don't want her scared.  Keep your eye out for any other signs and hope we can shift the tides a little, enough to keep her from getting pulled under.”  She tossed the broken pieces into the trash bin and pulled another jar from the shelves.  “This is ridiculous.  She’s the sweetest person I know; why would anyone want to hurt her?”

                Emma sat on an egg crate and allowed herself a moment to simply not hide from the world, to voice her every thought – Ella was the only one that would allow her to do that.  “It’d be better if she went home.”

                “You think she can be saved if we sent her back to the village?” Ella asked, checking the mixer content before grabbing a ladle.  She’ll have to eyeball the measurements now.  “If that’s the case…”

                “I think she should go home regardless.  It’s safer there than it would be here.”

                Golden honey poured over metal as Ella considered what Emma was saying.  “Someone’s going to break sanctuary.”  It was a statement, not a question; Ella already understood the truth.  That would be the only reason to send Nicie out of the safest place around here. 

                Nodding, Emma stared off in space for a moment, seeing something far away.  “And there’s going to be hell to pay for it.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Wes looked up from his computer as the backdoor was nudged opened by a wet dark nose of a steely gray wolf.  Long and lean, the wolf wore a coat that was closer to white than gray.  Panting with exertion for a moment, the wolf skillfully kicked the door closed behind him before shaking out the droplets of water that dotted his fur.  Grinning with amusement, Wes asked causally, "Nice night?"

                Sean's body morphed with an unnatural grace that the rest of the Orphan Pack have tried to emulate with little success.  It took him a moment to shed the animal instincts and for his vocal cord to shift back into place.  "Damn it… it's freezing outside," he shivered accordingly.  "And it started to dump hail on me twenty minutes ago."

                Laughing silently because Sean was the only one that ever complained about the weather in their wolf form, Wes tossed the warm fluffy towel he had prepared when the rain started at his best friend.  "Report please?" trying to refocus to the task on hand.

                "Nothing to report," Sean replied and wiped his body quickly before pulling on his clothes.  He hated cold weather or, worse, being wet.  "All is quiet so far.  No one has gone near Chun's all night, the timer went off exactly as it should; the girls did great."

                Nodding, Wes summarized it and fired off an update email with an easy encryption.  The boys have been taking turns at night circling Chun's place to make sure there weren't any nosy people snooping around.  With the majority of the wolves thinking Pets and Chun were ill, it's been a careful watch to make sure no one is the wiser for the truth while the rest of the Orphan Pack quietly prepare for their own exit.  So far so good…

                "Are we all set?" Sean asked as he sat down and poured coffee for himself.  The first hint of sun was just beginning to break through the clouds.  The clock on the microwave told him it was just after six now.  "Did you get the PO Box rental?"

                "Yup!" Wes had carefully researched the necessary process to move a great deal of materials in as little time as possible.  With most of their more precious possessions packed and ready to ship, he had located a number of private post office box several towns away that would allow for up to two weeks of storage.  It's a matter of mailing their stuff out and picking it up later.  It meant a light and fast exit for him and Sean on their bikes when the time comes.  "I'm going to dump the first load on the post office tomorrow."  With no family other than each other, they had very little they needed or want to take with them. 

                "Go across town," Sean advised, "Do it from the human side so there's less eyes."  There was an invisible line the wolves try not to cross and they lived close to enough to the edge not to set off any alarms. 

                "Of course," Wes nodded and fired off another email to Jiro regarding moving the girls out in three days. 

                Kirsten and Selina had both been quietly selling off their possessions on ebay for months now, creating a nice little nest egg, both having the foresight to start preparations before any of them had realized what they were doing.  Rainie too had been moving materials around, writing her parents, and subtly ridding herself of anything sentimental should she need to disappear – her parents were the only ones outside their little family that knew what they were fighting for. 

                "David said that he and George are ready when we are."

                "Let's talk to Jiro," Wes advised, "Aaron said he would be the last one out but I think it'd be better if he wasn't."  Of the Orphan Pack, Aaron had been the most inconspicuous of the group – except amongst the younger girls; that pretty face of his… 

                "Benji said he'd move with Aaron," Sean pointed out.  Benji and Jiro was both especially protective of the younger boys; and with Chun and Calvin both gone, Benji had been keeping a closer eye on the younger members of their pack. 

                "I think the four of us should be the last ones out," he replied quietly.  "George and David should leave at the of midnight, they can move fast and hard, put a little space or double back if they need to."  The confusion it would create should allow the two to exercise some of their recent frustrations. 

                Sean agreed, "That will allow Selina and Kirsten to get out with Jiro and Rainie while the rest of us run interference if we have to."

                "Then the rest of us can slip away at dawn and ride hard at daybreak," Wes nodded and considered all the holes in the plan.  "Let's put it to the group tonight, get the rest of the gang onboard and figure out how we can move the SUV without anyone noticing."  There was only so much they can do on motorcycles and they were running short on time. 

                "May not have to," Sean pointed out.  "Can we move the car out of town and park it just outside the territory limits?  It'd give them one less big thing to track if we need to move on foot or double up fast."

                "Rainie."  Wes almost kicked himself for not thinking of it sooner. 

                "What?"

                "Does Rainie need to visit her family in River Rock?"

                Sean looked genuinely confused.  "I'm not sure I know where you're going with this."

                "It'd give us one big thing to move legitimately.  The girls can go with her and cross town boundaries then hop another ride and split.  Rainie will take out anyone that tries to stop her."  They've seen the spitfire hold her own against others that dwarfed her. 

                Nodding his agreement but pointed out, "Jiro would have to stay back if Rainie makes a move without arousing suspicion."

                "Jiro doesn't need wheels to move fast," Wes countered.  And they've all seen just how quickly Jiro can move when motivated. 

                Conceding the fact with a raised brow, Sean mulled it over a moment.  "So if we send Rainie out of town during the day, move Jiro around to show him off, no one would be the wiser of her skipping down with the girls."

                "Station one of us, maybe Aaron since he's the slightest, in Selina and Kirsten's place to look like they're still there and we could give the girls almost a full day's head start before the rest of us even move." 

                "We jet in the night or by dawn; George and David can definitely guarantee Aaron's exit if they're with him.  We could totally clear out before anyone knows we're all gone."

                The two friends stared at one another for a long silent moment, trying to poke holes in their own logic.  "I think we have a plan."

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                The motel room was dingy, dank and smell vaguely of ammonia and artificial vanilla.  The bedding looked a decade old and so threadbare that it was a surprise that it didn't rip when Pets landed face first onto it.  Groaning in pain, she laid sprawled on the lumpy narrow bed while Chun moved carefully around the room, checking the windows before pulling the curtains to darken it against the rising sun. 

                Cranking up the air conditioning, Chun gave himself a moment of silence to take a breath.  The last two days have been all about riding hell for leather at night, putting in as much distance as they could, and hole up for a few hours of sleep just after dawn breaks, never relaxing long enough to let down their guard.  They were making good time but there was still at least four or five more days of grueling travel to go – Calvin had covered a lot of distance in his six months away.  If they were lucky, the clear weather will hold and the road they took would be clear. 

                But disturbingly, Calvin had stopped picking up his phone. 

                "You want the shower?" Pets muttered out of the side of , too tired to turn her head to a more comfortable position. 

                "You go ahead," Chun answered, digging through his pack for his satellite phone.  It was an expensive and necessary purchase they had all been acquiring over time.  "I want to check on Calvin."

                "I can't move," Pets moaned, "My is numb."  She didn't care what anyone said; motorcycles were not meant for long distance travel. 

                Chun would have laughed at his sister's pathetic state if he weren't more concerned and distracted by his friend's lack of response.  The phone rang… then simply went dead.  The short electronic voice informed Chun that the phone was currently unavailable and that he should call back at a later time.   His mounting fear was making him edgy.

                "I'm just going to sleep, okay?" Pets more or less informed him before she passed out.

                "Okay," he muttered and dialed another number. 

                "You safe?" was the greeting from the other line.

                "Secure for a few hours," Chun answered with a sigh before he allowed himself to sit.  With the sun just over the horizon, the wolves will be seeking shelter and therefore slowed down… if any had been following them.  The last hour after dawn had been the most important to push forward.  That would give them at a few hours of rest to fuel their bodies before continuing on.  At least with the satellite connection, he never feared reception problems.  "Have you heard from Calvin?"

                "Nothing," Jiro muttered and glanced at his sleeping wife.  She had insisted on taking a surveillance shift last night with the boys.  "You?"

                "I wouldn't be asking if I had," he replied grumpily and immediately regretted it.  "I'm sorry, that was uncalled for."  The clock on the wall was creeping pass seven, which meant it was barely six in the morning for Jiro; the others must be just getting back now. 

                Jiro didn't even acknowledged it.  "You sound exhausted."

                "Three days on under ten hours of sleep would do it to you."

                "Get off the phone, get some sleep, and stop hogging all the work; let me picked up some of the slack for a bit," Jiro countered firmly.  "I'll continue trying Calvin and taking care of things here.  You just concentrate on hauling ."

                "Any movements on the home front?"

                "Nothing obvious so far," he reported.  "Looks like we've managed to keep your escape from the rest of the town but don't slack.  The boys and I are putting together a very short timeframe to exit."

                "Try to push it as close as you can to the full moon," Chun advised, "They're less likely to give chase if they've got no safe grounds to run on."  Of course that meant the Orphan Pack would be the ones to face the predicament. 

                "Just worry about yourself, Pets, and getting to Cal; let us handle the details here."

                "Okay," Chun glanced briefly at his sister before setting the alarm.  "Call me if anything comes up.  Otherwise, just text me anything relevant in four hours.

                "Take five and give yourself a break."

                Two days on the road and Chun could still feel potential eyes on his back.  But pushing himself into an coma wouldn't help any if he wasn't up to defending his sister.  "Okay, I guess an extra hour wouldn't hurt."

                "I'll call if I have any news," Jiro replied and hung up. 

                "Anything?" Pets mumbled.

                "I thought you were asleep."

                "I am," she replied before turning her head.  "But anything?"

                "Nothing so far," he informed her before getting up to shove a spare chair against the door jam.  It wasn't much but it was something.  "Sleep.  We ride again in six hours."

                "I need a shower."

                "Later," he said and gently patted her head as he went to check the rest of the room.

                "Thank you, Chun."

                "What for?" he asked distractedly as he tested the lock on the bathroom window.  Flimsy but it'll hold and give him enough of a warning.

                "For not leaving me," Pets whispered, her fear close to the surface.  A lot of time on the road gave her time to think.  "I know bringing me along was a bother and…"

                "I would never abandon you," he assured her. 

                "You might have to," she replied, her voice dull with sadness.

                "I would never…"

                "I'm not a child anymore," she said, turning to face him.  "I know what having the dreams mean."  Chun sat down wordlessly next to her as she sat up.  "And I know that if I get pulled back to North Thumberland, you're not coming with me."

                He shook his head.  "I promised that I would always protect…"

                "You're not going back with me."  The words were stated firmly and clearly; no hint of the frightened little girl Chun had hidden in the attic the night they became orphans. 

                Cold with fear, "I don't see how you're going to stop me."

                "And I don't see why you'd make me watch you suffer."

                His chest hurt as his heart dropped to his stomach.  The air in his lungs condensed and pressed against his ribs, hurting him.  His limbs turned cold with the lack of oxygen, afraid to move pass this moment that placed them at the brink of something dark and horrible.  The future suddenly became a terrible place that he didn't want to face. 

                "Promise me," Pets whispered, her eyes wet with brave tears.  But even her paralyzing fears couldn't make her watch him go back to a life of misery.  "Promise me that when and if the time comes, you won't follow me back; I don't think I can live with that."

                The bubble of pain choked him and a single tear tracked its way down his face as he tried and failed to answer.  No matter how much it hurt him, he knew that she was right and it killed him to know that he couldn't protect her forever.  Unwilling and hating himself the whole time, he jerkily nodded and didn't hide his pain from her.

                Holding him, Pets wept pitifully for him… for herself… for their uncertain future.  At least she knew she was loved and that he would be safe.  "Thank you."

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                "Damn it!" Calvin cursed some more as he shook the phone as if it would do any good.  Frustrated and worried, his movements were erratic and impatient as he plugged his dead phone into the wall.  Now was the worst possible time for him to be out of communications.   

                What the hell happened while he was dead asleep?

                Grabbing a semi-clean shirt and running his fingers through his freshly showered hair - he had to remember to do laundry soon - he headed out the door to find a phone since the room didn't have one available.  He barely stopped in time outside his door to keep from plowing Emma over.  As it was, he had to pinwheel his arms and grabbed the doorframe to keep from running into her. 

                Staring at him calmly, she merely raised a brow while he composed himself and scooted by him into the room, her arms full of clean linen.  She was back in her Lolita outfit again, this time in bright yellow with a ridiculous giant polka dotted bow on her head.  By rights, she should have bled right into the sunny room but somehow managed to sparkle within its similar hues. 

                Setting the new sheets at the foot of the bed, she turned to regard him a moment and raised her brow again at his semi undress.  Feeling embarrassed for no reason – it was his room after all – Calvin shrugged his shirt on quickly.  "What are you doing in here?"

                Shrugging, she started to strip the bed.  "I was going to knock but you were moving too fast for me to react properly.  Seems pointless to do so when you already had the door open and I was already standing there."  She turned to regarded him with a calm look.  "The only phone is at the front desk.  We don't keep phones in the room for practical reasons."

                "How did you…" Calvin shook his head.  "Never mind.  Why did I bother asking?"

                A tiny smile played about .  "You seem to be taking this whole seer thing pretty calmly."    That's not generally the case. 

                He frowned at her.  "I get pretty hairy and howl at the moon once a month.  Who am I to judge?"            That made her laugh and de-aged her several years.  She had a face that was made to smile, an activity she obviously didn't do often enough. 

                Giggling, Emma made the bed with quick practiced hands.  She glanced at him once over her shoulder as she stuffed the pillow into the case and fluffed it with some quick pats.  "Stay at the inn today, okay?  Don't start wondering around just quite yet."

                Surprised by the unsolicited advice.  "Why?"  Brain cranking away, "Is there something I should know about?"

                "Nothing of importance; I just thought that you'd want to stay away from the media."

                "Media?" completely lost now. 

                "The two dead schoolgirls?" she reminded him.  "Newspaper people have been sniffing around.  Sheriff too.  Ella's been keeping people at bay for you but she can't do that if you leave her protection," indicating the inn.  She blinked a moment before informing him, "She's in the kitchen."

                Calvin frowned again.  "Are you telepathic too?"

                She grinned with amusement, "No.  But I'm pretty good with deductive reasoning."

                He conceded the point with a nod. 

                "But you're not going to be able to stay here for much longer," Emma continued, gathering up the soiled sheets.  "You're going to…"

                "Wait, wait," he held up a hand to forestall her.  "I'm not sure I want to know what's going to come.  I'll start second guessing myself and I can't live like that."  He shook his head and sighed.  "Let's just leave it at a…"

                "I was going to say," Emma interrupted by raising her voice, "That you're going to put Ella in a bad position if you stay here too long."

                Startled, "What?"

                She made a face that reminded Calvin just how young she was.  "This is a sanctuary, neutral ground for 5 clans.  You are on Holy Ground within neutral grounds; you couldn't have possibly missed that when you stepped onto it.  What do you think is going to happen when others find out Ella's hiding a Lone Wolf in her inn?"

                Since he's never been outside of his own, he had no idea.

                Exasperated, "Ella would have to explain why she granted sanctuary to an outsider.  And she'd have to justify granting you sanctuary.  This isn't a free for all; there are rules.  And just because we live on the fringe doesn't mean we're not part of the clan." 

                "What would happen to Ella if she can't explain herself?"

                "If it was anyone but Ella, it'd be a death sentence.  At the very least, they’d be expelled from the clan."

                Calvin's heart lurched. 

                "But this is Ella," she stated matter-of-factly, "Hardly anyone says no to Ella.  But that doesn't mean it’s going to be easy for her."

                “I would think it’d be harder to say no to you,” Calvin mused distracted.  He had no idea there would be more politics to content with outside of the little hell he escaped from – and now he's got Ella all mixed up in it. 

                “Obviously you don’t know anything about my sister.”

                "So how do I get sanctuary?" already thinking of his fellow Orphan Pack, making their way here. 

                “Tribunal,” she said, making her way downstairs with their guest.  “And you better have a damn good reason to be calling one.  Remember, this sanctuary is guarded by the five clans.  If trouble comes calling; all five clans have to mobilize.  So you can see why they’d be reluctant to allow an outsider sanctuary.”

                “I see…” it wasn’t going to be as easy as he thought.

                “Not as easy you think, huh?”

                Glancing sideways at her, “How much of what I’m going to do are you going to be telling Ella?”

                “I don’t have to tell her anything,” Emma replied, passing through the employee only door.  “And being a seer doesn’t mean I can see everything; doesn’t work like that.”

                “How does it work?” genuinely curious by nature. 

                “I see fragments of things,” she explained, walking down to the laundering room.  “Like the future is a great big mirror that’s been shattered and swept up again; all I’m seeing are slivers of pieces that were left behind – never quite the whole picture but just enough to get a hint of what’s coming.”  She dumped the sheets into a bin and sorted it quickly.  “If it’s far enough away, I can sometimes see more than just one piece of it.  But it’s never universal; always just events and people around me.”

                “Can you see even on Holy Ground?  Isn’t Holy Ground supposed to suppress all the weird energy and stuff that affects us?”

                “That’s what everyone thought,” Emma sighed and began a load of lights.  “But apparently it doesn’t work like that.  This isn't something you can shut off.”

                Calvin watched her a moment in quiet contemplation.  “Then how do you get any rest?”

                Startled, because no one outside her family has ever asked before, Emma merely stood there and stared back at him, unable to form a response.  The truth was, no one ever cared or thought about what happens to the seer.  All they saw was what she could see.  She was merely an extension of her ability. 

                "What is it?" he asked quietly, a little unnerved by her silence.

                She smiled, suddenly feeling warm and safe.  "You're very nice."

                He chuckled, not sure if she was just trying to distract him.  "And you're very sweet."  He walked her back up to the front and stopped by the entryway where two men were impatiently pacing the foyer.  The cozy wood slated doors allowed for them to view out but not for others to view in.  "Reporters?" he asked in a soft whisper. 

                Emma nodded.   "If you want to speak with them, you can.  But I would suggest that you…"  The front door opened, distracting her.  "Oh…"

                Xiao Man walked in, flowers in hand and flanked by two tall boys about her age.  She didn't look happy to see the reporters in the front entry and her escorts wore equally disagreeable expressions.  "Don't you people have better things to do?"

                "Yeah," one of the boys spat out with disgust, "Why don't you guys go harass a politician or something?  Something a little more down to your level of morality." 

                "Now, now, children," one of the reporter made a placating motion with his hands.  "We're just here like any other concerned citizen looking to find out the truth…"

                Xiao Man wasn't having any of it and was angry enough to lack fear.  Getting up right to the reporter's face, "My friends are dead.  The man you guys are trying to make the bad guy here was in that café with me when my friends drown in water, mud, and dirt.  And he went out there to try to save them.  The coroner said that Mei Mei and Tong Tong were already dead when he pulled them out.  Why are you still hounding him?"

                The reporter looked a little uncomfortable as Xiao Man's friend tried to calm her.  "Listen kid, we're just doing our jobs.  There were some… inconsistencies that we just want to clear up for our readers.  Even the sheriff said…"

                "I WAS THERE!" Xiao Man screamed at him.  "I saw him pull Mei Mei from the mud.  She was DEAD and he still tried to save her."

                "What's going on?" Ella asked quietly from the side entrance, wiping her hands on a clean towel.

                "These guys were just leaving," the taller of the two boys said.

                "Miss Ella…" the second reporter got up from the chair.  "We just need a few minutes with your…"

                "This is a private establishment,"  Ella moved around the front parlor, removing her flour dusted apron as she went.  "And we respect the rights of our guests to their privacy.  Now the gentleman in question has not been up for visitors and will not be for some time."  She didn't raise her voice, didn't rush her words, but the steel in her tone voice wasn't lost to anyone in the room.  "I understand that the highway patrol has given the all-clear for the roads to be used again.  I'm sure you are all eager to get back and complete your story.  I have your contact information, I'm sure the gentleman will be in contact should he choose to do so."  Her eyes swept the room with a harden glint.  "Good day, gentlemen."

                The two reporters looked at one another uncomfortably and shuffled out the front door.  The two teenage boys had similar reactions, edging toward the front door as well.  But Xiao Man held her ground, tightening her hand on the flowers she had brought with her and took a determined step toward Ella.  "I bought these for the guy that was in the storm the other night.  I wanted to thank him for… you know, for trying."  She was close to tears, the confrontation with the reporters pushing all her emotions to the surface.  "Can you make sure that he… that he gets these?  And that he knows that… that I wanted to say how much I appreciated that he kept trying even though… even though…"

                Ella's hand was gentle as she touched Xiao Man's arm reassuringly.  "Why don't you give it to him yourself?" and turned to the slated doors. 

                Calvin came through the double doors calmly but with resign.  He had been prepared to let the girl leave but Ella seemed determined to…

                Xiao Man ran into his arms, partially crushing the fresh flowers between them.  "Thank you," she sniffled with undisguised relief.  "Thank you."

                Uncomfortable but feeling strangely grateful, Calvin awkwardly patted the girl's shoulders as she babbled incoherently for a moment.  No one has ever tried to thank him for failing at something before but he understood her intent nevertheless.  He lifted his eyes a moment and caught Ella's, uncertain what to make of the blank look on her face as she stood there watching them, slowly twisting the silver ring on her index finger. 

                "Xiao Man," one of the boys called out, "We gotta go."

                Sniffling again, Xiao Man nodded.  "We're going home today; the roads are finally clear enough for the bus to get through."  Now that her emotional outburst was over, she looked horribly embarrassed by it.  "I just wanted to… again… thank you for your efforts.  It made it better to know that at least someone tried."

                "Take care of yourself," Calvin replied, taking the flowers she insisted on giving him.  "Safe journey home."

                A calm but weak smile graced Xiao Man's pretty face, "Thank you," and she turned to leave with her escorts.

                Ella suddenly stirred from her silence, "Perhaps…"

                "Hey wait," Emma came through the door quickly, reaching out to stop Xiao Man was she prepared to leave. 

                Eyes wide, Xiao Man's mouth opened and closed for a moment.  "You're that waitress from the café."  She took a step back, obviously unnerved by her sudden appearance and remembering their last encounter.

                Emma hesitated but glanced at her sister.  Ella nodded then looked away, her face troubled.  Nodding, Emma looked to braced herself, "Today, on the bus, try to sit toward the front.  Don't sit in the back." 

                Unbelievably, Xiao Man's eyes went wider.  "Why?"

                "In fact, try to keep your friends from sitting in the back row."

                "Why?" one of the boys asked, coming to Xiao Man's side.  "What's going to happen?"

                Ignoring the boy, Emma met Xiao Man's frightened eyes with unflinching resolve.  "Just try."

                Something in Emma's eyes was enough to convince Xiao Man if the last experience didn't.  Nodding her head slowly, Xiao Man committed it to memory. 

                Nodding her acknowledgment, Emma turned and disappeared into the back again.

                "What the hell was that?" the other boy asked, his face reflecting his confusion.

                Calvin felt compelled to say something.  "Better listen to her," he told Xiao Man who nodded and finally left with her friends, obviously much more disturbed now.

                "You didn't want her to warn them?" Calvin asked Ella when the front door finally closed. 

                Ella turned to return to what she was doing before.  "Not everyone is receptive.  And people don't always react nicely to being told." 

                Following her to the kitchen, "I hope whatever Emma told her stuck."

                "It did," Ella replied.

                "Why do you say that?"

                Hesitating, Ella turned her eyes a moment.  "It's in her eyes."

                It made sense.  Watching her work in silence, he wondered how to approach the next subject.

                "You're going to have to leave soon."

                *Well that was easy…*  Nodding his head in agreement, "I wanted to ask how I can…"

                "When does he get here?" Ella asked suddenly.

                "What?"

                "Chun," she clarified, "When does he get here?"

                "Emma told you?"

                "No," she frowned at him, "Logic told me.  It's not all about being a seer."

                And now he felt embarrassed.  Didn't the girl just explained that she couldn't see everything in the future?  "Sorry, I just assumed…"

                "So when?" she asked again with some impatience now. 

                "He's on his way," he finally answered.  "I wanted to call him but my phone is dead.  I'll know as soon as I get a good charge on it."

                Ella hesitated, obviously torn.  "I can't protect you."

                "I'm not asking you to…"

                "Especially if you bring the others."

                "Were you planning on protecting me?"

                She glared at him.  "I have so far.  The clans don't know you're here yet.  But I can't do that if there's a bunch of wolves running around."

                "Point taken," he conceded with a frown.  He has put her in a bad position.  "So how do I get sanctuary?"

                "You don't."

                Calvin felt his stomach turn.  "That's not really what I was…"

                "Only a member of the clans can ask for sanctuary.  If you're not one of us, you have to have someone vouch for you and offer a reason for your stay.  In turn, that someone becomes responsible for you and must bear the consequences as well." 

                "But that would mean that…"

                "Shut up a moment, let me think," Ella paced the silent kitchen.  Her face was unreadable but her eyes gave off live sparks.  A thousand thoughts fought itself way through her mind; she was struggling to find a way to save him… to save them all…

                "You love him."  He whispered the statement, more for his friend than for her ears.  That could be the only reason for her actions.  So…  "If you loved him, why did you leave him?"

                She paused and something flickered in her eyes before she turned to him.  With her fist clinched tight by her side, eyes like steel, she merely stated, "You can't fight The Moon," and walked out of the kitchen, leaving him there stunned. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                «The deliberate snap of twigs announced that she was no longer alone.  Someone was warning her… something had found her.

                The shadow woods made the search more difficult despite the almost full moon above.  If it weren't for those bright turquoise eyes, she would have never spotted him by the dense bushes that almost hid him completely from view, his midnight coat bleeding into the darkness beyond. 

                She was shaking but not from fear, she was more anxious than anything else. 

                He shifted, still hidden in the shadows, and his raspy voice attested to his changing vocal chords,  "You shouldn't be here."

                Swallowing her nervousness, she shook her head.  "I know this is highly unusual…"  

                "Go back."  He moved as if to turn.

                "I wanted to talk to you and..."

                "Go back NOW," was the warning given before he turned and leapt out of the darkness, his turquoise eyes and white fangs the only things seen in the dim light…»

                She woke up with a start, eyes snapping open.

                Pressing a hand to her pounding heart, she willed herself silent and allowed the hum of the air conditioner to regulate her breathing.  But the vivid dream played itself over again in her mind, the details becoming clearer, reminding her that this wasn't the first time she's had it nor would it be the last.  It was becoming more apparent with each passing night that they weren't just mere imaginings and fate was dragging her into its clutches.  Her awareness of the dream sequence scared her like nothing else could. 

                And those eyes… those unknown bright turquoise eyes was becoming all too familiar…

To be continued…

------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note:  Setting up scenes takes a great deal more writing than I was expecting.  Onwards and forwards….  and don't forget to comment!