Chapter 22 – Home

Shifting Lives

Chapter 22 – Home

--------------------------------

            Wes leaned against the doorframe and frowned, keeping silent as he watched and observed.

            “I should come with you,” Chun argued as he followed Ella around the room with her picking up an array of weapons hidden about the Spartan room.  He looked extremely unhappy at the thought of them leaving the safety of Holy Ground without him.  “If you and Pets are both going…”

            “You need to stay here,” Ella said calmly once more, more than ready for this argument.  “You will be a lot more effective here than if you were to follow me into town,” and she didn’t know how that might turn out. 

            “But Calvin doesn’t have sanctuary.  How is he suppose to…”

            “He has protection,” Ella slipped two knives into her boots.  “And he’s traveling with a full convoy of Betas plus me and Emma.  He’ll be fine.” In fact, she was counting on Calvin’s presence to facilitate certain things. 

            Chun’s frowns furrowed further.  “Why is it so important that I…”

            “You need to stay for Sean,” Ella replied very firmly as she turned to Wes, her eyes sobering to a darkness.  “You and Wes need to make sure Sean does not step foot off Holy Ground.”

            “Why?” Wes asked quietly, truly rattled now as he straightened from his stance.  Pets had already filled him in on some of the more interesting details of the girl he thought he knew  and the way she was looking at him made him nervous.  “What’s going to happen if he does?”

            Ella’s face showed impatience.  “Why did you almost kill yourselves rushing to sanctuary?”

            Paling at having it confirmed, Wes nodded and swallow back the cold fear wrapping its way around his heart.  “What else?”

            “What does that mean?” Chun asked, seeing the reaction and not liking it one bit.  Family was always first.  “What’s going to happen?”

            Deciding that the straight forth answer would save her a lot of time and headaches, “If Sean kills again before the next full moon, he’ll go Feral.  You won’t be able to get him back,” she let that painful dagger of thought sink in before twisting the knife, “We’d have to put him down.”

            Chun’s face reflected none of his thoughts as he nodded soberly.  “He won’t step foot off Holy Ground until you tell me he can.”

            “We’ll make sure of it,” Wes promised.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Selina glanced over her shoulders at Rainie, sleeping on the old creaky bed of the cheap motel they had finally been forced to stop at for the afternoon.  The storm overhead had dumped enough water on them to make the girls concerned over the condition of the roads.  They’ll need to refuel and move on before nightfall but for now they were giving themselves a reprieved and physical shelter from the storm.

            “You should sleep too,” Kristen murmured groggily from the second bed.  She struggled to get upright and rubbed her heavy eyes.  “I’ll keep watch for awhile.”

            “No,” shaking her head at her sister.  “I get very little rest as it is.  One of us should be alert on the road.  Get some rest, I’ll keep watch until sunset and sleep in the car.”

            But Kristen was awake now and thinking again.  “Still with the dreams?”

            “Yeah,” deciding that keeping it hidden wasn’t going to be any good.  Someone needs to be clear headed about things and she was in no position to hold the role.  Besides, Kristen was strangely logical when it came to things, always thinking three steps ahead sometimes. 

            “Are you sure it’s that kind of dreams?”

            “Yeah,” was the bitter answer.  Now was the worse time for her to have found her True Mate.  Especially when she was moving steadily away from him – the dreams seem to get worse with every mile she moved.  But family was family, and she wasn’t going to abandon hers just because some outside force was pushing her toward something else.  No.  She was going to see Rainie and Kirsten to safety first.  If The Moon wanted her somewhere else, it’ll have to find another way to get her there.

            “Do we need to turn back?” Kristen asked.  She wasn’t blind; she saw the effect.  Selina was the only blood she had left in the world; if it meant having to go back for her mate, to leave their pack, she’d do it – no questions asked. 

            “No,” Selina glanced t the darkened windows.  “We need to get Rainie to safety and that means getting her back to Jiro.  They need a safe place before the baby is born.”

            “I know,” Kristen sighed, knowing they had a long road to travel before that day would come.  “But it doesn’t mean I can ignore that fact that you’re going through this thing on your own.”

            “Survival of the pack is more important,” she concluded with a nod before reaching over and shoving Kristen back into bed.  “Get some more sleep.  I’ll wake you and Rainie at sunset.  We’ve got a home to find for that pup she’s carrying.”  And nothing was more important than that. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Pets moved quickly, efficiently, without question or protest.  Her hand tightened on the compound bow that Jing had shoved into her hand the minute she was off the stairwell, motioning for her to follow.  Jing herself was armed to the teeth with crossbow and handguns at her hips, rifle in her hands, and Pets could just make out the knife strapped to her ankle.  Jing had promised knife lessons when they had more time, for now Pets would have to rely on her bow for defense. 

            “When we’re out in the open, try to stay within the circle and to my left at all times,” Jing said quietly as she stepped ahead of Pets. 

            Nodding, Pets slow a step and shifted to her mentor’s left side just as Emma ran up pass her and fell into step with Jing.  The younger seer was armed for war with pistols at her back and a strung bow in her hand.  “Do not leave me alone with him,” Emma begged. 

            “Oh, I’m totally not getting in the middle of this,” Jing replied, completely unmoved.

            Emma groaned pathetically.  “I don’t want to end up being…”

            “You’re better off talking to your brothers.”

            “They’re no help,” she muttered, making a face. 

            “Try not to take it too hard,” Jing replied with a grin, “ At least your sister is on your side.”

            “She’s going to have her own battles to fight today.”

            “Bring a united front then.”

            “Don’t we always?” surprised by the suggestion.

            Exasperated, “I meant, don’t leave her side.  If they’re going to hound you, at least you’d have each others’ backs.”

            “I can try but you know how it always goes….” Emma whined and shook her head then caught sight of Pets watching them.  She grinned and fell back into step with her.  “Nervous?”

            “I’m always nervous around here – too many ups and downs,” Pets answered honestly but offer her a smile. “How are you doing?” asking because she genuinely cared.  She’s spent enough time now in their crazy lives to know that Emma cared a lot more than she let people see.  And that the life she lead was not for the faint of heart. 

            “Same old, same old,” Emma replied, making another face.  “Not exactly looking forward to going back to the village.  People tend to be weird around me there; one of the many reasons I live here now,” and stopped just before the low gates walling Holy Ground off from the rest of the area.  The three cougars that were facing Kai all turned their big heads to look at her – their bright yellow eyes glowing even in the strong afternoon sun.  Emma winced and whispered out of the corner of , “See what I mean?”

            Pets didn’t comment as Ella pulled up by the side of the gate in her jeep.

            The look on Ella’s face was grave and serious, like she was braced for war.  “Get in,” Ella ordered and unlocked the doors with a button. 

            The girls scrambled into the jeep as the Betas shed their clothes.  Pets leaned out the window and watched Xiu as he pulled his shirt overhead and threw it into the back of the jeep along with the rest of the unit.  The strong afternoon sun highlighted the glorious plains of his beautiful physique, all smooth skin stretched over lean muscles.  He was talking quietly to another, his face pulled taunt with worry.  Emma squeezed in next to Pets and leaned against the frame, smirking sideways at Pets before letting out a long appreciative whistle.  “Must be nice to heal up so fast,” she commented with a grin.

            Xiu glanced briefly at Pets then walked over and frowned with concern at his little sister.  “Are you okay?  Do you need to see the healer while we’re in town?”

            Emma waved it off like it was nothing.  “I’ll live.  I’ll live even better not having to deal with the quack,” she muttered and retreated into the cabin, leaving Pets hanging out the window to face the half dressed Xiu by herself. 

            Suddenly on the spot, and knowing perfectly well she had been set up, Pets forced herself not to be shy and face him – she’s got to start somewhere.  “Is this going to get bad?”

            “It’s a trip home; it’s always bad for the girls,” he commented without thought then frowned again, “That didn’t come out the way I meant for it to.”

            Amused, “How did you mean then?”

            Xiu made a face.  “It’s never easy for the girls  to go home.  Too many people know about them, too many people expect things from them; they get no peace there.  They’re not allowed to be anything but seers.  It’s hard to function under a microscope like that.”

            “And you?  What do they expect from you?” she wanted to know.

            Startled surprise flashed across his eyes a moment before he shuttered them.  Obviously no one had ever bothered to ask.  “The pack gets what they expect: the over protective brother that will go to any length to protect his sisters.”  He said it like it was a vow. 

            Pets smiled, “Guess they’re going to get what they want, won’t they?” then reached across and ran her hand along Xiu’s smooth jaw for a second.  “You’re a good brother to them.  They appreciate it even if they don’t like it,” then withdrew back into the car cabin without another word. 

            Left in a bit of a stupor by the unexpected contact, Xiu stood there and stared until Kai walked by with a sharp, “Look alive people,” address all the Betas but giving his brother a quick jolt back to reality.  “Stay in tight formation and within sight of one another.  We’re in and out before sunset.  Got it?”

            Those already through the gates howled their acknowledgement while the ones still behind the barrier merely nodded and stripped out of their clothes, tossing it unconcernedly into the back of the jeep as they step through the gates and shifted into their pelts.  Ella revved her engine, signaling that she was ready to go.  With a roar from the cougars, an answering howl from up front, they were off – heading home. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Fei rushed to the front parlor in time to see the wolves take off after the fast moving jeep – Ella was wasting no time on the road.  The wide circle of canines of all sizes, shapes, and color was a sight to behold… and to be feared.  With the cougar roaring their goodbyes and assurances, Fei was left behind in an empty house with three strangers and her own chaotic thoughts. 

            “You worried?” Wes asked, watching her from the doorway.  He had gone up to check on Sean, who was still dead to the world, and have come down in time to watch spectrum of emotions dances across the girl’s expressive eyes. 

            “Always,” Fei answered honestly, her eyes still on the road and the dusty trail left in the departing wake.  The silence that followed was louder than the ruckus that a houseful of wolves could create; it was eerie after such excitement. 

            “Is it always this nerve wrecking around here?” he asked, still watching her watch the empty road.  His friends were with them; he didn’t like knowing Calvin was walking into danger just as they were finally reunited and that Pets has changed so much in the short weeks since they’ve been parted.  He also didn’t like the uncertainty in the girl’s expressive eyes; like a fearful doe in the forest that knew it was being hunted by a pack of hungry wolves. 

            “Just every ten years or so; when the world outside the valley decide to harass us,” Fei sighed and finally turned to face him.  “I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared; hell, I’m terrified,” and forced back the shudder.  “Knowing that my brothers are out there, amidst the danger is like a nightmare come to life.”  One that she’s already lived through once before. 

            “For a pack, there’s always danger,” it was the law of the jungle and every shifter knew it. 

            “Not like this,” she explained, seeing the world weary understanding in his eyes.  “For the last ten years, it’s been the four of us against the world, even amongst our own.”  And the rest the pack had tried to make them feel safe.  “You know what they call us?  ‘The Orphans’ because we  were left without family after the last invasion.”  It had been a terrible time and those in mourning didn’t know how to comfort the children that were left behind.  “So we became each other’s family, just the four of us.”  And now something else is threatening that.

            Wes understood, better than he wanted to.  “They called us ‘The Orphan Pack,’ the last of the North Thumberland Grays after the Browns hunted us almost to extinction.  We were a small pack to begin with, mostly insolated and kept to ourselves – passive even, but after the attack…”  Those first few weeks after the cease fire – a living nightmare was the only way to describe it.  Wes had spent many nights as a child huddled in the orphanage bunk bed with Sean and David, fighting off the nightmares and comforting one another.  “The Browns said that they don’t kill innocent pups, but really they just didn’t know how to justify killing children – that’s all that were left of us.  We also served as a good warning to the rest of the pack; an example from the Alpha as to what happens when you resist his rule.”  At the ripe age of fifteen, Chun and Benji had soberly explained to the younger ones the reason and meaning of their survival before they vowed to protect one another and to never forget who they were and where they came from.  “We became our own pack, displaced from our own homes while still living there.”

            Slender fingers crept over and attached itself to Wes’ hand, offering comfort and understanding that  only those that’s been  left behind could truly understand.  She didn’t say a word, just stood there holding his hand and watched the prowling cougars guard the gates.  She empathized and that meant a great deal more than anything she could say, except, “You have a home now.  Here, with us.” 

            He withdraw his hand from hers quickly and took a step back.  But all she did was turn and watched him with her big innocent eyes that didn’t offering anything but acceptance.  And it scared him.  Along with the fact that he just revealed intimate details of his life to a virtual stranger; a stranger that didn’t feel quite like a stranger to him. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Bernice watched her sister’s eyes narrowed with concern then glance her way for a second before speaking into the phone again.  Every inch of Emily screamed alert and Nicie had a bad feeling about it.  Wiping her hands and putting down the coffee pot she had been refilling a customer’s cup with, she hurried over just as Emily hung up the phone.

            “Grab you stuff,” Emily informed her quietly and walked Nicie toward the back.  “You’re going to the inn.”

            “Now?”

            “Yes,” Emily answered with her usual no nonsense tone when it came to pack business.  “Take the car, don’t stop until you’re within Holy Ground.  The cougars will let you through; they know you’re coming.”

            “What’s going on?” alarmed now.

            “The seers are on their way back to the village,” Emily said grimly.

            “Both of them?”  

            “Together no less,” Emily replied with a  frown.  The seers almost never travel together.  “They want you at the inn to help Fei.  You are not to leave until they get back, which will hopefully be by nightfall.”

            Nicie didn’t like it but she didn’t question it.  “Arm up?”

            “Of course.”

            “Of course,” Nicie sighed and opened up the upper cabinet by the back door.  The duo miniature cross bows were her weapon of choice even if she didn’t use it as well as she liked.  “What about you?”

            “I’m to stay here with Bass and Sam,” she glanced at through the kitchen port window at the silent young Sam that served the giggling girls that came in with his usual smile-less face that did nothing to discourage his flirtatious customers and the gently jovial Bass that acted as a stark contrast to the young Beta.    “Call me when you get there so I know you’re safe.”

            “I’ll be fine,” Nicie assured her as she grabbed the keys off the sideboard and glanced at her worried sister.  The last 2 weeks of forced togetherness had given her newfound appreciation for her sibling.  “I’ll call once I get there.”

            “Let me know how things are over there,” Emily added with a sigh.  “I’ll come over once I close shop.”  It was a strategic move, consolidate their forces. 

            “Okay,” she nodded and glanced at the port again.  “Let Sam know that I’ll be with his sister so he doesn’t worry.”

            “He’s going to worry regardless,” Emily replied, shaking her head.  “Other than Kai and Xiu, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything so over protective .”

            “Can you blame him?  He and the rest of others have lost so much already.  Another loss might actually destroy them.” 

            Emily paused and looked at her sister with eyes that said so much – losing Bernice would more than just destroy her.  “Be careful, alright?  I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

            Nicie nodded and reached for Emily’s hand for a moment, squeezing it tightly.  The battles were coming, anything could happen.  Their home was no longer a safe one and they cannot allow themselves to take things for granted. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            The imposing house the jeep slowed in front of reminded Calvin of the Alpha House back in North Thumberland.  With its glaringly white paint and tall gleaming windows on both floors, it screamed authority and power without embellishments.  Shifting out of his pelt, he thanked Ming with a quick nod as the Beta handed him clothes and dressed without a word.

            “On your best behavior,” Deng whispered softly as he moved passed him toward the front doors, struggling into his clothes as fast as he could as others rushed around them.  “The Alpha will not tolerate any transgressions right now.” 

            “The Alpha won’t tolerate coughing out of line right now,” Jing added with a grin as she jumped out of the car with her gear held tightly in her hands.  “Anyone that doesn’t want attention might want to be silent as a tomb from this moment on.”

            “That’s comforting,” Pets muttered as she slammed the car door shut and got a better grip on her bow.  “Is your Alpha going to be okay with us walking into his house armed?”

            “He’d have our heads if we weren’t,” Jing replied with a quick shake of hers.  “And I would probably stop referring to him as ‘your’ Alpha if you plan on sticking around here.”  She scanned the shifter crowded around them and noted the grim faces of the guards.  “Just do as you’re told and be quiet; we might make it out of here without causing more issues with the powers that govern.”

            “Great…” Calvin sighed and rounded the car to stand behind Ella.  He’d been given very specific instructions by his best friend about sticking by the seer.

            “Stay with Emma,” Ella whispered quietly as she walked up the gravel path to the house.  She wore the expression of someone about to walk into the lion’s cage.  “And try not to mouth off.”

            “Fine but I thought you said this was a quick trip home,” he groused.  No one said anything about a detour to see the Alpha.  The last thing he wanted to do was call attention from yet another Alpha – those have yet to end well for him.  And with his own situation  still in question, he wasn’t sure he wanted to be anywhere near this place. 

            “It never quick enough,” Emma muttered as she moved passed him to catch up with her sister and grabbed at Ella’s arm.  “Don’t leave me alone with him.”

            Ella scoffed and made a face.  “Good luck with that.  Sorry kiddo, you’re on your own this time.”

            “Oh come on…”

            “You’re the one that got all clawed up.”

            “Like I had a choice?” Emma asked indignantly.  She rubbed her side unconsciously.  “It’s not like I…”

            “Should have come home when Father requested it the first time,” Kai added as he walked up beside his sister, eyeing the Alpha House’s open door with distaste.  “Now he probably thinks you were hurt worse than you let on and that’s why you won’t come home.”  He glanced briefly over one shoulder at Jing and nodded his thanks for following them into town; she frowned and rolled her eyes at him in return. 

            “Mom came and saw me,” Emma argued.

            Calvin frowned and traded quick confused glances with Pets.  The way they were talking seemed a little… strange; like he was missing a piece of the puzzle somewhere.

            “Not good enough,” Xiu replied as he came up on their other side, bracketing the sisters between them.  He let the others enter ahead of him, informing the main house of their arrival then checked the surrounding guards with a quick glance.  “Sending everyone away on the full moon – not cool.  And now with this new attack, he’s more than just worried about you.”  He caught Pets eyes for a second but looked away quickly, still unsettled by their earlier interaction. 

            “Not completely my idea either,” the younger seer whined as she proceeding her brothers through the door. 

            “Not saving you,” Ella replied casually and waited a beat for her brothers – she wanted the backup – before moving into the open foyer to be greeted by, “Mother.”

            Lily Chen opened her arms and swept her girls into her embrace for a moment, glancing behind them with a quick assessing look before informing Ella, “You brought company,” she smiled knowingly.  “They’re not going to distract him for long.”

            Ella shrugged.  “It’s worth a try.”

            “Distract?” Calvin asked, not sure he liked this turn in conversation.

            Lily smiled again, a predatory look if Calvin ever saw one.  And he was about to question it when the tension in the room sudden kicked up a notch.  All the airs along his neck suddenly stood up on ends, like he had touched live wiring.  Even Pets, sending close by and usually obvious to such things, straightened suddenly. 

            The returning Betas that had escorted the seers collectively stood suddenly in attention and inclined their heads in deference as a tall authoritative figure stepped into the foyer.  They greeted him with a single word, “Alpha.” 

            Peppered haired and a face lined with sober responsibilities, he was a handsome man that commanded attention and respect with his very presence.  The flash of electric blue danced across his eyes for a split second, so fast that Pets and Calvin both thought they had imagined it until his eyes narrowed on them for a moment; his shifter senses had picked up on their unfamiliar scent.  But they weren’t to hold his attention for long – he had a purpose in choosing to meet the seers in the foyer rather than making them come to him.  He took a quick step forward and looked pointed at the younger with a warning, “Emma...”

            With a resigned sigh, Emma took the three steps necessary to bring her into his reach before she opened her arms and hugged him.  “Hi Daddy, I’m home.”               

To be continued….

------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note:  So nothing in my life is wrong, I’m sorry I gave people the wrong impression.  I simply had a lot of family obligations to meet and didn’t have a lot of time to write.   That being said, I’m trying to get back into creative mode and figuring out how I want to get to the next sequence of events for this story.  I promise there will be a bit more advancements in the next chapter… I just have to get there.