Chapter 30 – Fate

Shifting Lives

Chapter 30 – Fate

--------------------------------

            Calvin frowned at the setting sun, unreasonably upset by how quickly the day had passed, like the sun had somehow betrayed him by setting too soon when he wasn’t ready to face the night.  The winds had picked up in the late afternoon, ushering in the chill and dim ominous feel of danger.  The weather channel had predicted another storm that would break by nightfall; one that was strong enough for landslide advisories in the mountainous areas.  Something felt off in the air, like the dam of fate was about to implode and send them all falling from their safety. 

            Shaking off the morbid feeling, he continued searching the inn until he found his quarry in the kitchen sipping on cold black coffee.  “There you are!”

            For a moment, Chun’s unfocused eyes remained glued to the empty countertop before he blinked and turned his attention to his friend.  “Were you looking for me?”

            There was so much darkness in his eyes that it gave Calvin pause.  “What happened?  You look like someone just ran over your dog… if we could own dogs that is.”  Something about being part canine made owning other canines difficult – in fact, most dogs avoided them like the plague.   

            There was an almost unperceived pause before Chun shook his head, “Nothing.  Don’t worry about it.”  An answer that only brought forth more starkly now wrong things are. 

            “Hey,” Cal leaned against the counter next to his friend, his brows furrowing together with concern.  “Talk to me; whatever it is let me help.”

            “There’s nothing to be done,” he answered with a finality that was meant to stop the line of questioning.  “Now… what were you looking for me for?”

            The concern was still in his eyes but Calvin knew better than most not to push when Chun wasn’t ready to talk.  “I wanted to tell you that… um…” he stopped, not really knowing how to proceed.  It was kind of a strangely awkward topic.  “That… that Xiu and Kai… um… last night when they went back to the village… um… they kind of… sort of…”

            “Cal,” Chun’s eyes narrowed, “What the hell happened?  Did they do something to you?  Are you in danger?”

            “No, no, no…” holding his hands up to halt that thought.  “Completely the opposite;” though he may have brought danger to their doorsteps.   But there was enough time later to talk to Chun about it – after the promised discussion with Kai tomorrow; the Beta had been surprisingly calm and understanding about it before he took off to speak with the Alpha about the latest. 

            Unable to follow, “Just tell me what happened.”

            “I…” Calvin suddenly felt a flush of embarrassment.  “They pushed to have me accepted into their pack.”  He felt the same strange lightheaded euphoria of relief as before, “They officially made me pack.”  And yet at the same time, there was heaviness in his heart.  To be a part of one pack meant he wasn’t part of another.  “I have a pack now.”

            Chun understood.  He understood all too well what it meant for Calvin as well as the rest of their Orphan Pack.  “I’m happy for you.”  If it meant the safety of his brother, he could have nothing but good wishes for him.  It wasn’t as if he hadn’t been prepared to see his sister in the same position. 

            There was a moment of pain as Calvin accepted the good wishes with a closed throat.  They were no longer pack members; no longer brothers in arms.  “Chun, I…”

            “It’s okay,” Chun didn’t want this to hang over him, to taint this moment of achievement that he’s worked so hard for.  “You’ve earned this.  The rest of us will simply have to follow your example and earn our own place here.   And we will,” he promised, clapping a strong hand on Calvin’s shoulder.  “We will.”

              Nodding his head in acceptance, Calvin gave himself a moment and took a breath of composure.  “Listen, here’s a formality with the Alpha tonight.  Nick said it’s some kind of ceremony.  I’d really appreciate it if you were there.”

            “Of course I’ll be there,” Chun said with a smile that never quite reached his eyes.  “Just let me know when and where.”

            The obvious unhappiness in his friend impacted Calvin’s elation and he had to inquire.  “Talk to me, my friend.  Let me be the judge as to what I can or cannot do to help.”

             “’One cannot change the tides of fate,’” Chun quoted with a depressing sigh, “isn’t that what they always say to us about the moon?”

            “Is this about the moon?  Or is this about Ella?”

            Chun’s eyes were sharp for a moment as he glared at Calvin.  “You’re too perceptive.”

            “Not really,” he replied with a shrug.  “I just happen to know you well and your troubles right now pretty much involves two things: us and her.  And since I just delivered some good news for a change, it’s got to be the other that’s troubling you.”

            Sighing, Chun said nothing a moment before responding with a tired, “I have very little regrets where Ella is concerned.  Actually the only one I have is that I didn’t just tell her what I was in the first place.  Maybe we could have had more time together; turn the tides to our favor more.”

            Calvin’s eyes narrowed and his processed the words carefully.  “Why are you talking like the world is about to end and you’re trying to get your last meal in before the curtain falls?”  But the real question is why he was even asking.  “What did Ella tell you about her visions?”

            Nothing about Calvin’s ability to draw the right conclusion surprised Chun anymore.  “Enough to know that this isn’t going to end the way we want it to.”

            The tension was thick enough to cut with a knife.  “How bad?  Who?  And how to do we stop it?”

            He shook his head slowly, pain eking out pass the resignation written across his face.  “Not my story to tell and not my place to tell it.”

            “The hell it isn’t,” Calvin said with conviction.  “The minute she put it to you, it became your story as well.  Ella may see the past, present and future but she herself said that nothing is written in stone and there are ways to affect fate.  We just have to know what pieces to move.”

            “And if by doing so, we alter fate in a way that may cause more damage?  Put more lives at stake?  What then?  How do we live with ourselves knowing that?” 

            There was a long heavy pause.  “Ella really pushed you through the dark side this time, didn’t she?” 

            “She didn’t have to.”

            “Is it her?  Or Emma?  It’s got to be one of them for it to be this hard – Ella most likely to put that look in your eyes.  Plus she’d never allow anything to happen to her sister, no matter what the cost.”

            “Don’t say anything,” Chun stated very simply.  “She doesn’t want her brothers to know.”

            “Yeah… I can see why.  Xiu and Kai are hardly going to take it lightly.  Though I’m surprised Emma hasn’t said anything yet; she’s as unlikely to let this go without a fight as Ella.”

            He nodded.  “They both said they don’t see the same things all the time.  Emma may not know.  And if that’s the case, Ella has no intentions of letting her know.  This stays with us.”

            “You’re just going to take it?” surprised by how resigned and calm Chun was.  If it were him, if it were the girl he was in love with, nothing in the world could keep him from…

            “You can’t defy fate and still live with yourself,” was the only answer give.  And it told too many truths to bear with. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Emma watched the guards confer a moment, big shaggy heads moving back and forth, energy barely contained in shifter form.  They kept arguing for a moment, subtle growls that shouldn’t have reached the back door to the inn but did, glancing periodically at the shuttered windows, then nodded to one another before taking off into the woods.  The back gates were now devoid of guards for the first time in weeks.

            Overhead, the rolling gray clouds that had hovered over the horizon in the afternoon finally made its way over them.  The first thunder cracked loudly in the distance.  The storm that had been threatening for days had finally arrived.  It perfectly matched Emma’s darkened mood.

            “Hey.”

            Turning around, Emma forced a smile that bordered painful to perceive.  Upon seeing her sister, she let the act drop and gave a sigh of exhaustion, wilting into herself.

            “That bad?” Ella asked handing over the steaming mug of coffee with a sigh.  “Sorry I wasn’t around to help defuse things.”

            “You needed the rest,” Emma replied taking the coffee with a grin, brightening up suddenly.  She gave her a conspiratorial grin and wiggled her brows mischievously.  “And how was ‘the rest?’”

            Ella refused to be embarrassed.  “What did you see?  And who did you tell?”

            “No one and I saw nothing,” rolling her eyes with a soft laugh, “I just watched him go into your room earlier and didn’t leave until much, much, much later; then drew some probably correct conclusions.” 

            “Do not even…”

            “I hope he remembers to shower carefully before he steps outside.  Shifters in general have a very keen sense of smell.”

            Giving her sister a sideways look of exasperation, Ella turned to the empty window and watched the rolling clouds a moment in silence.  “The other guards are gone?”

            “Just a few left from our pack,” Emma replied quietly.  “But most of them will have to head to the village tonight for the welcoming.”

            “Welcoming?” Ella frowned.  “Who are we…”

            “Calvin,” Emma answered with a grin.  “Kai and Xiu did him a solid last night at the last minute before the Council of Elders meeting broke up.  They’re welcoming him tonight before the full moon reaches its peak tomorrow.  They didn’t want to chance an attacked on a full moon night to do the ceremony.”

            Genuinely happy for him, “He must be so relieved.”

            “I think so,” Emma replied and looked at her sister again.  “Needless to say, we are not invited to the ceremony.”  They were never invited to official staging – least they take away from the importance of the moment.  “I kind of want to be there.”

            Ella smiled.  “You soft on him?”

            “He’s a nice guy.”

            “So have others.”

            “He’s a nice guy,” was Emma’s answer again.  She couldn’t very well tell her sister that he’s the first guy that’s had such a comprehensive understanding of what they go through – it would say too much.  “He’s been alone for too long.  He would make a good addition to our pack.”

            “No arguments from me,” Ella replied with a smile.  “But he’s the first one you’ve been so favorable to.  Are you sure you are not…”

            “He’s a nice guy,” Emma repeated yet again with a smile.  “And he’s going to eventually understand what it means to be in this pack; he hasn’t completely understood it yet.  He still thinks like an outsider; one that has to prove himself when he no longer has to; he has a pack to watch his back for him.”

            “What do you mean?” curious now.  She hadn’t seen anything. 

            “I saw a wolf.”

            “And?”

            “By the description, Calvin says it’s a Southern Brown.”

            Startled, “Where?”

            “Here.  On the attack.”

            “Here?  In Sanctuary?”

            “Not sure exactly but… it does attack… me.”

            There was a loaded silence.  “And Calvin thinks it’s his fault?”

            “He thinks everything bad that happens is his fault.  But yeah, because it’s a Brown, he thinks he’s the reason that they’re here.”

            “He can’t help himself.”
            “I know,” rolling her eyes.  “He’s a nice guy.”

            Ella laughed, truly laughed for a second at her sister’s irritated look.  “The good guys are the ones that usually drive us crazy.”

            “Yeah, just look at our own brothers.”

            “Very true; they’re so much work,” remembering all the times they’ve had to divert issues when one of their brothers wanted to play martyr and/or hero.  “Well, at least now he doesn’t have to face them alone.  He’s got us.”

            “And we protect our own,” Emma replied with a nod.  She knew it by heart now: the pack comes first. 

            “Yes we do,” Ella sighed as she watched the darkening horizon.  The sense of foreboding felt oppressive now.  “Storm is coming in.”

            Emma paused.  “What do you see?”

            “Nothing,” for once, truthful.  She hadn’t had a vision in hours now; a refreshingly disturbing change.  “You?”

            “Still the same things,” Emma answered honestly.  “Just lots of fighting, darkness and a storm.”  She looked at the thundering clouds overhead.  “This storm.”  She didn’t need any kind of proof to know it, she just did; felt it in her soul. 

            “Soon?”

            “Very soon,” agreeing with a nod, looking at the ominous sky.  “Full moon’s tomorrow night.”  Though if they were truly careful in their calculations, full moon would hit in the late hours of the morning, before the sunrises. 

            “Should we warn the others?”

            “They already know.  We’ve told them all we can.”

            “Yes,” agreeing for most part.  “All that we can tell them.”

            Emma watched her sister, keeping her own secrets.  She wasn’t going to ask her what she didn’t share, not if she didn’t want to share the parts she was keeping back as well.  It was only fair.  They were all allowed their secrets.  “Come what may?” she asked as the thunder clapped in the distance.

            Ella nodded in agreement, her heart heavy but with no regrets.  “Come what may.” 

            Neither of them spoke for a moment, watching the skyline and keeping their own counsel.  They that knew too much had too many secrets to keep and so much they can’t share.  The burden was theirs alone; and it was a lonely place to reside. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Selina glanced at the rearview mirror and frowned.

            “What’s wrong?” Kristen asked quietly, catching her sister’s eye then glancing behind them at the open road.  “You’ve been doing that a lot.”

            “I think we’re being followed,” Selina admitted grimly. 

            Kristen twisted around completely and peered at the empty road.  “Where?”

            “Over the ridge,” she replied softly, her eyes still flickering between the mirror and windshield.  “I see the same two motorcycles every ten minutes or so.  Subtle but they’re there.”

            “Should I wake Rainie?” Kristen asked with concern.  They’ve been letting Raining drive only during the deepest of nights, where her keener eyes and sharper senses might come in handy… and when they were the most vulnerable. 

            “No, let her sleep as along as she can,” Selina said, easing her foot off the gas a little.  She wanted to confirm her own suspicion again before she woke her friend.  “How is she doing by the way?”

            “The same,” Kristen replied as she watched the ridge with squinted eyes.  “She’s putting up a good front but she obviously misses Jiro a lot.”  Her eyes shifted a moment to their sleeping companion.  “She’s scared and hiding it well.”

            “We’re all scared,” Selina whispered into the silence.  “And we’d be fools if we weren’t.”

            Eyeing her sister, “How are you doing?”

            “Tired,” she answered hollowly, “And scared.  The dreams aren’t abetting but I’ve got at least two more moons to go.  We’ll get to sanctuary before then and  I’ll deal with the consequences later.”

            “You’re playing a very dangerous game Selina,” Kristen warned with a frown even as she continued to watch behind them.  “They say the longer you deny the pull, the more you…” the twin headlights over the ridge arrested her attention.  From a distance, she could have easily mistaken it for the headlights of a car.  But Selina was correct, they were two motorcycle lights perfectly aligned with one another coming towards them.  “Is that them?”

            “I think so,” Selina watched her rearview mirror a moment longer before dropping speed again.  “I’m going to see if they continue to follow or go pass us.”

            Kristen had her phone out and searching even before her sister stopped speaking.  “There’s a gas station 3 miles up ahead.  Pull up into it.  At this speed and distance, we should have a 5 minute lead on them before they either have to pull into the station with us so not to lose us or go pass us if they’re trying to be covert about following us.”

            “And we can top off our tank while we’re at it.  Wake Rainie and get her up to speed.  We’re going to need her if things go ugly.  I’m going to see about giving up a few more minutes of lead time.”

            Twisting over the seat, Kristen woke their friend in an urgent whisper and explained their situation as quickly and concisely as she could while watching the back window with hawk-like vigilance. 

            Rubbing her eyes open, Rainie nodded her understanding and agreement.  “You two are going to stay in the car and keep watch.  I’ll fill up and stay mobile.”

            “Are you up for it though?” Kristen asked, her eyes flickeringly a moment to Rainie’s still flat tummy.  “Don’t push yourself if you…”

            “I’m fine,” Rainie said firmly.  “You guys are the ones I’m worried about.  If this goes south, you make a break for it no matter what.”

            “No one is getting left behind,” Selina interjected as she kept her eyes glued in front of her.

            “I’ll find my way to…”

            “We don’t leave without you,” Kristen added in agreement with the same steely voice.  “And that’s final.”

            Rainie rolled her eyes but nodded her understanding, shoulders tense as she leaned against the door.  “Remember, you stay in the car at all times.  Get ready to bolt if I have to do a break away.”

            “Kristen will pay the cashier first while you pump the gas,” Selina amended logically.  “We have a few extra minutes, let’s take advantage of it to get gas and not waste the back and forth time.”  She reached into the console for the wad of cash kept there for such times.  “You get right back into the car when you’re done.”

            “Kind of wish we had bought those pepper sprays like we discussed,” Kristen muttered folding out two bills as they spotted the gas station.  “There it is!”

            “Pull to the inside front station area,” Rainie pointed it out for Selina.  “I want the advantage of seeing them first but some coverage if needed.”

            “Got it,” Selina murmured as she pulled into the station much more abruptly than she usually would and threw the car into park and left the engine on.  “Move fast.”

            Both exited the car in a clipped pace, trying not to be too obvious of their hurried state.  Kristen headed toward the cashier booth, glancing around only enough to note the number of empty spots and hiding places.  Rainie disengaged the gas cap and pulled the pump toward her without hesitation, subtly sniffing the area, trying to catch any tale-tell signs of danger.  She traded a quick nodding glance with Selina in the side mirror just before the till on the gas clicked to zeros for her to start pumping gas. 

            Kristen exited the cashier area with a handful of jerky and breaking open the packaging to 2 personal pepper spray.  She tossed the trash into the container by the second row of pumps as she passed it and got into the car without a backward glance.  “Just in case,” handing one over to her sister.  “It’s all they have in there.”

            “It’s good enough,” Selina said, watching the side mirror toward the road.

            Rainie heard them first, the slight muffled sound of twin engines as they passed the mile mark.  Her head lifted slightly at the sound, letting the girls in the car know.

            “Here they come,” Selina muttered as she spotted them over the ridge. 

            “Think they’ll stop?” Kristen asked tensely, facing forward but her eyes were trained to the tilted mirrors watching the road.

            She didn’t understand why she knew, but she knew.  “Yes,” she replied with certainty then watched as one signaled the other and the two cross-country motorcycles turned into the station. 

            Rainie’s eyes caught Selina’s in the mirror just as the pump handle jumped to disengage gas.  She moved quickly to disengage it and capped the gas tank, her body tense and ready for…

            “What the hell….” One of the motorcyclist ripped of his helmet, staring at Rainie in confused amazement before turning to look at Selina through the car window with dawning fury.  “Are you following us?”

            “From in front of you?” Rainie replied sarcastically and with a bite of annoyance.  She glanced at Selina to make sure she was ready to bolt. 

            But Selina wasn’t watching her.  She was looking at the other rider. 

            Confusion reigned a moment, “Look, I don’t know what you guys are playing at…”

            “Allen, stop.”  His companion shot him a look. 

            Selina opened the car door and stepped out.

            Rainie turned to her friend sharply and ordered, “Get back into the car.”

            Holding out both hands, Selina took a breath to calm her racing heart and her obviously agitated friend.  “We’re not looking for trouble.”

            “Neither are we,” Show agreed as he pulled his helmet off and gave his friend a look that spoke a thousand thoughts without a word.  “We’re just passing through, trying to get home.  We’re not interested in tangling with other packs.”  He watched Selina with a feral look that bordered impolite.  “We’re not… getting into your business.”

            “Agreed,” Selina said tightly, her eyes glancing only once at Rainie.  “We done?”

            Rainie’s brows furrowed in a mixture of curiosity and confusion though little of it showed on her face to those that didn’t know her.  But giving a curt nod, she waited, letting Selina play out this… whatever this is.

            With one final look, Selina got into the car.  Rainie was slower to move, got into the back seat only when she was certain they were ready to leave and neither men made a move to follow.  She was still posed half ready to jump into the fray if everything suddenly went south.

            “Selina!”  Show called out just as she put the car into drive.  He looked as disturbed as she felt, like he hadn’t meant to do it but couldn’t help himself. 

            She glanced at him through the closed window.  He was still watching her with an intensity that was hard to withstand.  The air between them was tense with questions either one could or would put into words.  He was confused; she could see it in his eyes. 

            “Who are you?” he wanted to know, his voice touched with urgency – like he knew there was something.

            “No one,” she answered firmly, refusing to let fate take the wheels.  “I’m no one,” then drove off without a second’s hesitation.

            The silence in the car was choking thick until Rainie finally broke it.  “You want to tell me what that was about?”  She glared at the stoic Selina in the rearview mirror.  “And don’t give me that bull about it just being him saving you.  Tell me what this is really about.”

            Kristen shot her sister a look, obviously as confused but she had one extra piece of information they hadn’t shared with their friend.  And she had finally put the pieces together of all the things her sister wouldn’t say.  “Oh no…”

            “What?” Rainie demanded.  “What is going on?!?”

            But Kristen was staring hard at her sister, who wasn’t meeting her eyes.  “It’s him, isn’t it?”

            Rainie put it together fast, groaning in pain as she leaned back into her seat.  “You’ve got to be kidding me….”

            Selina clinched her teeth, unwilling and unable to say anything.

            Sighing, “How long?” Raine wanted to know.  When the question was met with silence, she looked at Kristen for answers.  Kristen shook her head at her, shrugging her shoulders in helplessness.  Shaking her head and looking at Selina through the mirror, “Turn the car around.”

            “No,” she replied firmly even as her heart screamed at her to do it.  The pull of the moon and soul was strong with him so close.  It felt like a physical pain with every mile she drove. 

            “Turn the car around, Selina,” Rainie ordered.  “I don’t know what you think you’re trying to accomplish by risking your sanity to…”

            “You and the baby come first,” Selina answered quietly.  “The pack comes first.  We’re going to the Sanctuary.”

            “Selina, you can’t last very long out here by yourself if you’re having the dreams.”

            “I’m fine.”

            Frowning at the back of her head, “Are you?” she asked forcefully then looked at Kristen for help.  “Is she?”

            “I’m fine,” Selina repeated.  “And I know the risks.  I know what I’m doing.”

            “Selina…”

            “I need to do this, Rainie,” she continued with quiet dignity.  “I need to know that you and Kristen are safe before I can deal with whatever these dreams are going to bring.  And if we’re meant to be, he’ll find his way to me or I’ll find my way to him; the moon will guide us.”

            “The moon has guided you,” Rainie argued, “Twice now.”

            “Three times,” Kristen corrected quietly, relieved that they were no longer keeping it a secret and that Rainie was just as concerned.  “Last full moon at that gas station, that time at the diner… and now here.”

            “Three times,” Rainie said with a sigh.  “How much longer as you going to run from it?”

            “As long as it takes to get you guys to safety,” Selina answered, her foot gently pressing down harder on the gas pedal.  “I’m not turning back.  He can wait.”

            “But can you?” Rainie asked, her fear for her friend obvious in her eyes.  “Denying the pull must be hurting you.”

            “I’m fine,” she said it again.  Fate could go hang itself; she was not turning back.  She was going to get her pack to safety even if it meant her life.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            “What the hell was that?” Allen demanded as Show stared at the taillights of the fast moving car.  “Seriously!  What the hell?!?”  When his friend couldn’t answer him, couldn’t tear his eyes from the road, Allen shoved him in the shoulder.  “We’re on a mission.  The pack is in trouble.  Now is not the time for you to have one of your crazy moony crushes on some…”

            “Hey!” Show warned him with a look then relented with a sigh.  His mother taught him better.  “Look, I just… I can’t explain it, okay?  I just can’t.”

            “Well try because you’re really starting to freak me out here,” Allen said tensely.  They were only a day from home if they push hard enough and with the approaching moon, he’d rather be on safe running grounds than on the road, even with the recent dangers there. 

            Show shook his head and grabbed the gas pump, swiping his credit card quickly.  “I don’t even know where to start.  It’s like the first time I saw her, I just…. It was…” then made a frustrated sound with his throat.  “It was like puberty all over again and that first shift into your wolf.  There’s this weird high and this painful thing in your chest when the moon pulls and…  I… I don’t know…”  

            “Are you serious?”

            “What?” He looked at his friend and partner in justice and crime, “You wanted an explanation.”

            Making a face, “That wasn’t an explanation; that’s a freakin’ soap opera!”

            “Well I can’t give you any better of an answer,” Show replied as the pump clicked off.  “It’s a moot point anyways.  You saw her; she couldn’t wait to get the hell away from me.”

            Allen made a face and considered it some more, not at all surprised that his usually observant friend can’t see what’s right in front of his face.  But then again, it’s always easier to see things clearer from the outside.  “Me thinks the ladies doth protest too much.”  Not that there’s much more they could do.  Guess they’ll just have to let fate take the wheels on this one.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Jing had half a second’s warning before the hand shot out around the corner and snagged her by the arm, pulling her around the blind edge of the wall.  Her opposite hand came up in a fist, swung to break nose, but was caught quickly in a practiced open handed move and brought back down to her side. 

            “Try not to assault anyone while I’m away,” Kai said quite calmly before he closed his mouth over hers for a long passionate moment, leaving Jing breathless when he finally pulled away.

            It took her a few tries to find her voice again.  “I thought Holy Ground was supposed to dampen the effects of this…” pointing back and forth between them with one wiggly finger, “connection.”

            Kai gave her a quizzical look.  “What does that have to do with me wanting you?”

            Startled and a little confused, Jing didn’t know what to say for a moment. 

            “Listen, I’m going to have to be gone for a good part of the evening with this whole ceremony thing, Father wants to do this right.  The pack needs a little bit of a break from all the tension and welcoming a new member would help morale.  Normally, I’d bring you with me even if you haven’t done the first shift, even Mother said so, but I don’t like leaving the inn so unguarded, especially with the other packs taking a breather for a day.  So I really need you to…”

            “Stay and protect your sisters,” she concluded for him with a grin and a quick nod.  “Got it.”

            He gave her a raised brow look of admonishment.  “I was going to say: I really need you to watch out for one another.  I’m hoping there’s no trouble but caution is always better.”

            “Of course.  I know all the pack rules and priority,” Jing pointed out with shrug.  “I’ll make sure they’re protected.”

            “Protect yourself too,” he said quietly, his face taking a much more sober tone.  “I’ll try to get back as soon as I can.”

            Troubled by how serious he was, “Are we expecting trouble?”

            “Full moon technically starts at 4AM, I’m not thrilled that we might not be here for it.”

            “The girls said that tomorrow night is…”

            “I know what they said,” Kai replied with a frown.  “But I can’t shake the feeling that something is going to go down that even they don’t see coming.”

            Jing made a face and occupied muttering, “Can’t escape the moon…”  then turned to frown at him.  “Is it okay for us to be separated that long?  Last time you were kind of…” she gave him a reprimanding look. 

            He had the grace to look slightly contrived.  “The others will be watching the time.  Nick and I both have to be aware.”

            “How is my brother?  I haven’t seen him yet since he got back.”

            “He’s fine,” Kai waved the concern again.  “He and Bass headed back to the village a little earlier to deal with the logistics of tonight.  I told Bass to keep an eye on him and to bring him back to Nicie, or vice versa,  if he starts to get agitated.”

            “So I should be prepared to head back to the village if needed?”

            “It’d be easier and faster for me to get to you.”  He smirked, “I can have wings.”  He leaned in a little closer and his eyes shifted slight to her lips, “And after tomorrow night, so will you.”

            Nudging him back with her elbow, “You’re getting ahead of yourself.  We don’t know what my designation is going be.  I could end up a black or brown wolf,” she suggested.  Her family had always been one or the other. 

            “You’re mated to a Pure.  You’re going to be a Pure.” 

            “You’re that sure you can pull an Ascension.”

            “Yes.”  There was no ifs or buts about it.  He suddenly moved into her personal space, crowding her in as he searched her face a moment, utterly fascinated by what he found there.  “If only you can see yourself through my eyes.”

            Silenced, Jing hesitated a moment.  “What do you see?”

            He was still staring at her eyes when he answered her.  “The future,” the leaned in to kiss her.  It was gentle, soft, the kind of kiss you give to your sweetheart because it was sweet and nice.  It tasted of dewy mornings and warm sunsets, lazy afternoons and gentle laughter, the warm touch of reverence.  It was like the all the wonderful things you want for life. 

            “Oh for god sakes,” Emma rolled her eyes as she came to a halt, “Get a room already!”

            “If I had an extra 15 minutes, I would,” Kai commented as he turned to his sister. 

            Emma made a face.  “I didn’t want to know that.”

            “What do you want?” Kai asked with a sigh before he glanced at the clock on the wall.  He should have left 5 minutes ago. 

            “Can Fei tag along with you back to the village.  She wants to see Matthew.”

            “He’s fine.”

            Jing made a face.  “It’s one thing to be told.  It’s another to see for yourself.”

            Nodding her head in agreement, Emma informed him, “Ming said he would clear it with you before he took her back but then you guys pulled him for Alpha duties so he had to leave first.  Fei is too scared of you to ask; so…” she made a continuous motion with her hand. 

            Kai didn’t say it but he understood.  But he was also lead beta which meant he had a lot more on his plate than the average pack member.  “I’d take her with me but then she’d have to stay in the village until tomorrow; I can’t spare anyone tonight to bring her back here until after the ceremony.”

            “Wes can go with her and bring her back,” Emma suggested.  His frown answered her.  “He needs to get acquainted with the village sooner or later; Fei can give him a quick look-see while they’re there.”

            “Sanctuary does not equate to Pack.”

            “He will be eventually.”

            He eyed her suspiciously.  “Why?”

            Emma gave him a funny look.  “Did you forget why Fei came here in the first place?”

            Jing gave a quickly cut off laugh that Kai really didn’t appreciate. 

            Growling something unintelligible, Kai took a breath and out right asked, “Are we going to end up absorbing that entire group?”

            “Most likely, yeah,” Emma answered in an uncommonly forthright manner. 

            Shaking his head but saying nothing more, Kai turned and kissed his mate really fast on the lips.  “Watch out for her,” then turned to his sister, “Watch out for each other.”

            But Emma was watching her brother.  “Watch your back.  There’s a darkness lurking around you.”

            “Meaning?” Jing wanted to know.

            “Meaning there’s danger coming at him,” Emma said with mounting frustration, trying to force her visions further but couldn’t.  Her eyes remained unblinking, pupils dilated wide to a future only she could see.  The visions flashed fast and furiously before her eyes, trying to reveal and hide itself at the same time.  “But it looks like…” her voice faded as she saw something more… something she hadn’t been expecting to see quite yet.

            “What is it?” Jing asked quietly, hoping not to startled her out of a vision that might help.  Emma turned and stared at her for a long moment.  “What?  Why are you looking at me like that?”

            “Emma?” Kai’s eyes spoke volumes of his concern as it flickered between his sister and his mate.  “Tell me.”

            A sudden goofy grin crossed her youthful face as she continued to stare at Jing a long moment with growing fascination and delight.  “Your babies are beautiful!”

            Jing’s jaw hit the floor.

            Kai rolled his eyes, part annoyed and part amused.  “Was that ever in doubt?”  He gave his sister a quick pat on the head and headed out.  “I’ll take Fei and Wes back in to town.  Just be hyper aware while we’re gone.  Most of us will be in pelts tonight so have Wes send for us if anything comes up and you can’t reach us by phone.”  He got to the door and changed his mind, heading back to Jing.  He paused briefly as if to search for the right words to say then shrugged and kissed her quickly on the lips.  “Protect each other.  Send for help if something comes up.”

            Still not use to his quick and careless physical affections, Jing merely nodded and shoo him out the door.  She shook her head, unable to completely process the weirdness of it all.

            “Hummm….” Emma stared at her brother rather thoughtfully.  “How did I miss that?”

            “Miss what?” Jing asked, moving toward the back of the inn.

            Emma shrugged and followed.  “That he’s been in love with you all this time?”

            Tripping on thin air, it took another moment for Jing to find the appropriate reaction: laugh hysterically.  It took her another three minutes to catch her breath.  “Are you hearing yourself?”

            Amused and elated, Emma shrugged again carelessly happy for the first time in a long while, “It just never occurred to me that he felt so strongly about you.  Pretty sly…” truly impressed by her brother’s ability to hide it so well.  “I wonder how long he’s felt that way?”

            “Have you lost your mind?  If it wasn’t for this whole mate thing, he’d never be …”

            “You really think so?” Emma asked curiously. 

            She opened to refute the idea again but remembered the series of moments that weren’t… bad.  In fact, Kai had been downright decent to her at times despite his arrogance and impatient nature – like the night fate had thoroughly disillusioned her.  He hadn’t been kind that night – but done exactly what was needed to protect her, to help her move on.  Kai isn’t a nice guy, but he was a good one where it counts. 

            Emma smirked, “Fate is a funny thing.”

            Jing growled something unintelligible at her then headed toward the basement weapon’s locker.  If she was going to be here tonight with very little backup, she wanted to make sure she was well arms… or at least have easy access.  Emma’s laughter followed her all the way into the basement. 

            Still giggling, Emma went to the front desk, ready to tidy up the area that’s been neglected for some weeks now as everyone used it as dumping ground for anything that needed to be moved out of the way.  The desk was covered in scraps of paper, notes, discarded mail and other knickknacks moved from different areas of the inn to make room.  Among the discarded notes were doodles Ella and her had periodically been doing of things they saw… things that maybe they shouldn’t see.  So many questions, so few…

            “What are you doing?” Ella asked, watching her sister for a moment before approaching.  Her eyes had been so far away for a moment. 

            “Can you feel it?” Emma asked quietly, her eyes a little distance and contemplative.  She flipped one of the doodles around to show her sister. 

            “Feel it?” taking the drawing for a moment.  It was of a dark cloud and various notes had been written along the side – none of it made any sense then… or now.

            “Something is happening.  Something close by, but we’re not seeing it yet.”

            “I hate those feelings,” Ella muttered and leaned against the counter and rubbed her elbows.  She looked disturbed by her own thoughts for a moment.  “I need to talk to you about something before whatever is coming at us gets here.”

            Surprised, “Sure, better get it out now while we can.  I honestly don’t know when we’re going to get any quiet time again.  Tonight might be it.”  Emma nodded with a smile before promptly raising a hand to stop her.  “Wait.”  The smile slipped from her lips as her eyes went wide.  Paling, she looked over slowly at the phone.  It was another 3 seconds before it rang and she continued to stare it a moment longer before reaching for it. 

            Ella straightened her stance, her body suddenly tense, the hair at the back of her neck suddenly standing up. 

            Jing reappeared in the doorway abruptly with Pets in tow, looking at the sisters expectedly.  It didn’t take any special powers to feel the wrongness in the air. 

            Emma’s face was impassive as she answered the phone, her eyes never leaving her sister’s.  “Hello?”

            “Hello,” was the smooth toned voice on the other end.  “I believe I have something of yours.”

            She didn’t need to be told.  She knew.  “You don’t want to hurt her,” she told him calmly, her eyes suddenly turning sad.  “It’d be in everyone’s best interest for you not to do anything rash.”

            There was a short pause.  “I would say that’s very good advice… for you.”

           

To be continued….

------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note:  Back and writing again.  Onwards…ho!