Chapter 13 – Endless

Shifting Lives

Chapter 13 – Endless

--------------------------------

            “This is nice,” Calvin commented, setting his bags down as he looked around the spacious apartment.  Obviously designed for a small family, the 2-bedroom apartment over the café was decorated in the same old-world motif as the downstairs with a few more modern conveniences added.   

            “The front window will offer you a view of the main road,” Kai explained, as he moved to it.  “And give you an access point if you need it.”

            “Make an new door?” Calvin asked, making a punching motion at the modernized double-walled clear windows – a far cry from the antique-glass ones downstairs. 

            Kai nodded to confirm.  “Make a new door.”

            Giving him a thumbs-up sign, Calvin continued to explore the comfortably homey room that embraced the road weary travelers with warmth and ease.   “Bedrooms?” pointing to the two side doors to one end of the room. 

            “Bathroom is this way,” Kai pointed to another door, “and you can use the kitchen downstairs.”

            “Thanks,” Calvin replied and turned to look at him with a quick glance at the ever silent Chun.   “Now tell me why you really bought us here.”

            Frowning at him, Kai sighed.  “I told you, it’s not safe for you or the girls to be staying at the…”

            “That’s not what I meant,” Calvin dismissed it with an impatient wave.  “Why did you bring us here?  I know where it is, you could have just sent us on our own; you already had the keys.  So why did you accompany us here?”  There was a long heavy silence for a moment as Calvin watched the man’s face.  “It can’t be that you were worried about us, can it?” because that’s kind of what the slightly embarrassed look on Kai’s face was telling him.  Surprised and amused, “Wow…”

            “Don’t get me wrong,” Kai growled at him, “I’m not worried about you, per say.  I am worried about what Emma would say if you guys met with an unexpected misfortune.”  Calvin’s grin was more than a little annoying.  “Besides, I thought it’d be best if we had a little chat.”

            “Ah, there we go…” Calvin nodded with acceptance.

            “Grow up,” Kai snapped with annoyance, “This isn’t a game.”

            “No one thinks this is a game,” Chun replied sternly.  “Now what do you want to know.”  He sat down in the ridiculously frilly pastel chair and looked stupidly out of place in his black jeans and leather jacket; completely unfazed. 

            “This attack was unexpected; completely out of the blue,” Kai got down to business and sat, glancing briefly at the door.  He had left some Betas downstairs to process the area, make sure the scene from yesterday had been cleared off.  The last thing they needed was the normals to come sniffing around – the pack take care of their own, an endless cycle of hiding in plain sight.  “It’s been a few years since someone made a play for a seer, and we’ve been careful about their exposure.  Ella is good at keeping a low profile but Emma forgets sometimes.  I don’t know you; I don’t trust you,” he told them bluntly, “But I trust that my sister knows what they know.  And if they choose to trust you, then I have to take their word.”  He didn’t look happy about it – far from it.  “So, I want to know how you guys found this place and what you know about that happened here.”

            “What we told your mother was the truth,” Calvin replied calmly, “Finding Sanctuary was a fluke.  I wasn’t looking for it, it just happened.”

            “We are looking for safe grounds,” Chun added, “But this wasn’t our aim.  Calvin was our de facto scout for what is left of our pack.”

            “You looking to plant roots here,” Kai concluded with a nod. 

            “If we can,” Calvin clarified without giving an affirmative.  Whether or not to call this place home remains to be seen. 

            Kai didn’t say anything for a moment, trying to make up his mind about what he’s hearing.  Fate and the Moon has already spoken enough as it is.  “The hyena; what do you know?”

            “As much as you do,” Chun answered.  “It was sheer coincidence that we arrived on the same day they attacked.  I swear we had nothing to do with them.”

            “I believe you,” Kai said honestly and then pulled a face.   “No one that looks at my sister the way you do would even consider it.”  And that was part of the problem. 

            Calvin snickered then remembered something.  “Wait… “

            “What?”

            “The day I got to town…” he frowned, considering his words carefully.

            “Spit it out,” Kai said impatiently.  He was nervous to be away from the girls with so much uncertain but he needed answers.  “We’re searching blind right now; any direction would be better than the needle in haystack approach.”

            “There was a pair of schoolgirls that died in a mudslide awhile ago…”

            “I remember that,” Kai frowned.  “I called Emma to find out if she and Nicie were alright because it was so close to the café.”

            Nodding thoughtfully, “There was a third girl there.  Emma talked her into staying at the café instead of venturing out; saved her life.”

            “Emma talked to her,” Kai asked, eyes narrowing with concern.

            “Yes.”

            “She saw something beforehand,” his tone was suspicious at best.  “Did she let it known that she saw something?”

            “More or less.”

            “Damn it,” Kai’s face twisted in frustration.  “It got out.”

            “There were reporters covering the story afterwards,” Calvin confirmed with a sudden realization of what happened.  “But the girl wasn’t so inclined to talk to the reporters.”

            “Doesn’t matter if she did or not,” Kai replied sharply, “Things like this get around.  All you need is for someone to start questioning it, even a hint of it is enough to send a pack sniffing around.  They are always on the watch for a seer.”  He got up and paced the room.  “This can get bad… for both of them.”  And he’ll have to find a way to head it off fast.  He looked at the two, silently watching him.  “Keep your eyes open and yours heads low.  Try to stay off the radar.”  He scribbled down numbers on the notepad by the telephone.  “Call if you hear, see, or suspect anything, I don’t care how insignificant you think it is.” 

            Chun glanced at the notepad, “Why are there four numbers?”

            “Me, Xiu, The Inn, Alpha House: dial in that order.” 

            “Wait,” Calvin said as Kai turned to leave.  “I think…” he stopped and let the thought form a little more thoroughly in his own mind.  “The café should stay open.  Business as usual.”

            Kai frowned, not quite following.  “Emma cannot come back until…”

            “I didn’t say Emma, though I do think that she shouldn’t ever step foot in this place again.  I said the café should stay open.”

            “He’s right,” Chun added, already catching up.  “Assuming we got all the jackals yesterday, assuming the hyena that attacked Emma wasn’t part of that group, which is possible since I’ve never heard of jackals and hyenas working together before, having the café open like nothing happen could deflect unwanted attention in case someone comes looking.”

            Nodding his understanding and agreement, “I can see that.”  He sighed, “I’ll arrange for someone to come cover.”

            “We can help,” Calvin replied quietly.  “Chun, me, Pets, we can do that for you.  It’ll also give us a good reason not to so suspiciously hiding up here if we’re recent recruits for the café.  We can use ‘training’ as cover for today and maybe even tomorrow’s closure.”

            Uncertainty danced across Kai’s eyes for a split second as Kai considered the idea.  There were too many unknown right now and he still hadn’t gotten a chance to sit down and talk to his sisters at length.  “It’s not my call and your biggest concern should be that you have no sanctuary here.”

            “Then it’ll be me and Pets,” Chun countered firmly.  “Calvin can stay up here and keep watch.  Besides, his talents would be wasted waiting tables anyways.”

            “Like yours wouldn’t be?” Calvin frowned at him.  He didn’t like being protected. 

            “Pets and I can be in the open,” he replied calmly.  “Your safety comes first.”

            Kai cleared his throat, not sure why he felt suddenly uncomfortable in their presence, “We haven’t agreed to anything yet.  Argue about it later when I’ve got approval for it.”  He walked towards the door, “Settle in boys, I’ve got a feeling you’ll be here awhile.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Pets watched the woods a moment, trying to follow the fast moving shadows as she had done at home.  It was a pointless exercise of course; any predator worth their salt should be difficult to track even in the light of day.  And the afternoon sun didn’t help by play hide and seek between the clouds as the incoming storm pushed its way into the valley.  But Pets wasn’t really watching the guards that circle the inn, she was waiting for someone.

           “You okay?” Emma asked quietly from behind her, hoping not to startle Pets… and failing when she jumped.  “Sorry.” 

            “Not your fault,” Pets replied, settling back into leaning against the porch frame.  “You’d think I’d be use to it by now.  My brother and the others all move like ghosts.”  She smiled at Emma gently, “How are you feeling?”

            “Nap helped,” Emma replied with a shrug, patting her bandaged side gently.  “Did Calvin and your brother take off?”

            “Your brother Kai took them into Sanctuary about an hour ago.”

            “Miss them?”

            “I’ll admit to being a little scared,” Pets said honestly.  “I’ve never been alone in my life.  Chun has always been there.”

“You’re not alone.  We’re here,” Emma smiled back at her encouragingly.  “And if you and your brother plan on trying to integrate, you need to start thinking of us as part of your pack.”

            The response slipped passed her lips before she could curb it, it was as instinctual as breathing, “I have a pack.”

            “Which one?” Emma asked candidly.  “The one you’re running from?  Or the one you’re running for?  Neither of which is safe for you right now.”

            Pets absorbed the observation with swallowed resentment.  She knew it was the truth but it was still difficult to hear it from a virtual stranger.  Even understanding that Emma wasn’t trying to be vicious or even remotely unkind, it hurt like hell to know that there really wasn’t a place call home for her and hers. 

            “I’m sorry,” Emma said quietly “that wasn’t what I…”

            “It’s okay,” Pets interrupted, and shook her head.  “I know.  And I know I have a lot to learn from here on out.  If me and mine are going to survive here, I’m going to have to change the way I think about things and react to it.  I just need a little time.”

            “Time you will have,” she assured her.  “Time in a safe place for now.”

            Pets nodded and took Emma’s word for it, coming to a comfortable silence just as Jing walked back to the porch.  She was dressed for the outdoors with her crossbow in one hand, sidearm at her hip, and rifle on her back.  “Just the person I was looking for,” she greeted Jing with a smile.

            Jing smiled back cautiously on instinct and looked at her with interest.  “What’s up?”

            “I need a favor.”

            “Depends on what it is?” was the good natured response.

            Emma glanced from one to the other with interest and permission to continue to listen in.

            Taking a breath, Pets said it.  “Teach me how to fight.”  Whatever it was the other two girls had been waiting for; this wasn’t at the top of the list… as indicated by their twin looks of doubt and surprise.  “Growing up,” Pets explained, “I was always told that the only real way I can help during a fight was to run.  Get out of dodge and stay away until the dust settled.  The last thing they need to be worried about was me getting caught in the fray.”  She looked at the two.  “But that’s not what you guys were taught.”

            Shrugging, Jing considered it a moment.  “Not exactly, no.  We were taught to get out of immediate danger and defend where you can.  Never be on the attacking end since we aren’t in any position to play offense.  Defense was the only place we would be of any use.”

            Emma nodded in agreement.  “Our contribution in a fight is not to be caught in it so we’re not used against those on the front lines.  In that respect, it’s very similar to what you were taught.” 

             “But I’ve seen the kind of trust they have in your abilities to protect yourselves and each other,” Pets said quietly as she looked at Jing.  “That Xiu guy sent you here to protect his sisters for him.  And Kai had no problems having you defend the back entrance knowing it would most likely be where the enemy would come.  They have faith in your capabilities to defend them.”  She looked at them bewildered and maybe even a little frightened.  “I can’t imagine the kind of trust that takes.”

            “It’s call family,” Emma replied softly, understanding what Pets was not clearly seeing.  “It’s call being part of a pack.”  Something Pets has never truly been. 

           “You have to trust your pack members to have your back and be ready to reciprocate,” Jing added seriously, “And it’s a trust that is earned.”

            “I want that,” Pets stated firmly.  She didn’t want to be scared all the time, the endless cycle of always running.  “I do not want to continue being a liability to them; always requiring them to protect me.  I want my family to know that I can be trusted to protect them the same way they protect me.”  She looked at Jing and saw the strength and confidence there – a depth that came from knowing her importance.  “Teach me how.”

            Jing nodded her approval, “Okay,” and handed Pets her crossbow.  “We start now.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Ella watched the pair of girls leave the house from the upstairs window then closed her eyes.  She twisted the silver ring on her finger. 

            The images fluttered across her mind’s eye like flashing pictures from a broken projection reel, each one skipping over the other, showing her fragments of visions interlinked but out of sequence and never quite in focus.  Learning from a young age to ignore the burst of colors and sounds, she focused her thoughts on just the one she could make out from the churning wheel of fate.  But the hit to her head the night before had taken a toll; her focus was not at its best.  Nor even functioning.

            “Mom’s right,” Emma commented from the doorway, carefully balancing a tray in her arms, “You’re trying too hard.”

            “Or not hard enough,” Ella sighed and to face her sister.  “Where’s Jing and Pets going?”

            “Somewhere a little safer for us,” Emma grinned, “Pets borrowed a few things from the weapon’s locker.  Jing is going to teach her how to shoot.”  She set the tray down and started to pour tea.  “I know Kai went to the café with the two guys but where’s Xiu?  Thought for sure he’d be with you.”

            “He escorted Mom back to the village.”  The ruthful smile she gave her sister let her know her thoughts.  “I think he was trying to get her out of our hair.”

            “Mom only ever really listens to Xiu anyways,” Emma rolled her eyes.  Their mother has never made it a secret which one of them was her favorite.  “I assume he’s going to be checking on Ming as well.”

            “You know he worries,” Ella sat down for tea and tried to tell herself to let go for a moment.  Stress didn’t help the healing and she needed to heal to get back her control.  Time, for once, wasn’t on her side.  “And right now, we are running more blind than usual.”

            “I haven’t seen anything dire.  Have you?” reframing from mentioning the little nugget of insight with Jing only the night before. 

            “Nothing that screams at me to say something,” Ella sighed and stirred honey into her tea.  “Fragments of conversations, pieces of gatherings, but nothing that tells me anything that can help.”

            “I’m more worried about what we’re not seeing,” Emma confessed, frowning at her cup. 

            “You mean an end?” Ella asked, having already guessed.

            Nodding, Emma stirred her cup a little harder, clinking the china with the tiny metal spoon.  “All I see are meetings, fights, a lot of arguments, but not a lot of the more dull stuff.”  Her frustration was reflected in her frown and her eyes went glassy as she saw more for a second.  “It’s like there’s no end to the conflict any time soon.” 

            Reaching out, Ella took hold of her sister’s hand.  “Stop before you break my cups,” and then removed the tea from her sister’s unresisting grasp.  Holding her sister’s hand, Ella allowed herself a moment to think clearly.  “Something dark is moving this way and we’re about to head right into the heart of it.  It’s doing to be awhile before the skies clear.  We’ll have to be vigilant if we’re going to be of any help.”

            Rubbing her temple with two fingers, Emma looked at her sister with sorrowful, tired eyes.  “Is there to be no rest for us?”

            Wishing she could take on the burden herself and leave her poor innocent sister out of it, Ella opened up her arms and Emma fell into them.  They held onto each other tightly, “We’re going to get through it together, GuiGui,” reverting back to her childhood name for comfort.  “We’ll find a way to get out of this.”

            “I don’t doubt that,” Emma replied with a smile that was both sweet and resigned.  “I’ve never doubted our ability to run into the storm and come out the other side, all banged up but alive.”  She grinned and hugged her sister a second time.  “I also know that there’s a shift in the winds.  And I’m ready for it.  Things can’t continue the way it has been; we’re both suffocating under it.”

            No one understood their position but each other.  And as much love and understanding they are given by those that loved them the most, no one can ever truly comprehend the pressure and pain.  And both of them recognized that their fate was sealed the minute they grasped what being a seer meant. 

            “Do you think this is our end?” Emma asked bluntly.  Seers don’t live long lives; not according to the archives; and it was not a secret kept from the current two.  The eldest recorded seer was twenty-eight at the time of their last record; just before the pack war that wiped out two clans that once occupied the Three River territories.  And with them unable to see beyond the fight…

            Ella had to be realistic when it comes to her future but she’s always tried to protect Emma as much as she could.  But the direct manner in which Emma was asking…. It required an honest answer.  “I don’t want to think that way.  I can only deal one day at a time.”

            Emma made a face.  “Meaning you’ve thought about it too.”

            “I’m always been aware that our days aren’t long,” Ella confessed with a sigh and sipped her tea.  “Especially when people make it point to remind me just how vulnerable and short-living they expect me to be.”  She glared out the window at the moving shadows amongst the trees.  Those same people were also the ones trying to prolong her life. 

            “You’re armed, right?” Emma asked.

            “From now on, yes.  You?”eyeing her suspiciously, “You better be.”

            “I think Kai might skin me alive if I’m ever not armed from now on.  He yelled at me again this morning.”

            Grinning, “You should be use to that by now.”

            “He’s always yelling at me,” Emma pouted.

            It was because Kai, amongst the siblings, was most afraid for her.  Ella understood that.  But Emma still hadn’t figured it out.  Yesterday, with the hyena, Emma had gotten lucky; they all understood that.  She may not be next time. 

            “You know what I’m surprised at?” Emma said suddenly, looking every bit as young as she is.  “We haven’t heard from Dad at all today.”

            They could only thank their lucky stars for that.  “I think Dad’s a little preoccupied.”  The pack members must be asking a lot of questions and running in circles right now. 

            “Yeah, I get that.  But considering hyenas tried to kill his daughters, you’d think we could have at least warranted a phone call.”

            “Why do you think Mom was here?” Ella asked, surprised that her sister hadn’t picked that up.  “You have two attacked that left half of a Beta Squad incapacitated.  Remember, Ming and Xiu were both hurt in the fight last night.  It must have freaked them out when they heard and couldn’t do a damn thing.  Mom came because Dad couldn’t.”

            Making a face again, “He could have at least called.”

            Ella rolled her eyes.  Emma was forever seeking approval from their father, an approval that no one, not even her brothers, could ever get.  “He’s worried alright or he couldn’t have sent Mother.  Things have got to be insane enough in town without having to add her absence to it.  And one of the reasons he’s worried is because I wasn’t attacked by a hyena.  It was a pack of jackals.”

            Emma blinked.  She knew that already, right?  Someone had to have already told her… right?  Didn’t she see it?  “Hyenas and jackals don’t hunt together.  Hyenas don’t hunt with anyone else but their own kind.” 

            “Which means we have something out of the norm or we’ve got two fronts to fights.” 

            “But that means…” Emma went silent with horror. 

            Ella’s face was grim.  “It means our secret is out.  And there’s going to be more to come.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            “Sit down,” Chun said as he took a seat.

            Not terribly surprised, Calvin took a seat and faced his best friend for, really, the first time since he arrived in town.  The last twenty-four hours had been… unexpected.           Both took a deep breath, trying to collect their thoughts and emotions, process the actions and responses they’ve had for what seemed like an unending loop of a nightmare. 

            “Tell me something I haven’t heard already,” Chun finally said with that deep gravelly voice.  The lack of sleep was starting to catch up to him.  But he still had miles of emotional road to travel. 

            “Pets’ mate is somewhere amongst this pack.”

            For an opening line, that was unexpected.  “Reasons?”

            “Ella, Emma, and Kai.”  Calvin leaned back into his chair and frowned.  “When I first got here, Ella was very concerned with how she’d be able to protect me.  When she found out you and Pets were on your way, she got even more agitated.  Then… she totally went calm and said she’d find a way.”  He looked at Chun with a frown.  “I think she saw something.”

            “Something or someone?”

            “Someone,” he corrected.  “That’s when she talked about getting sanctuary for Pets – only Pets.  And that’s where Kai came in.”  He’d miss moments like this: talking to Chun, working out the logics of things.  This was what home was to him.  “Ella said she had to meet with a sanctuary tribunal and her mother asked Kai if he sponsored Pets’ intro; which means he’s definitely involved, probably part of the tribunal.”  He’d give anything to have 10 extra minutes alone with Ella to question her on certain aspects of that particular structure.  “By the way their mother talked, sounds like the siblings are use to backing each other up in front of others.”  Given the way the brothers hovered, it would make sense. 

            Chun talked it all the way through.  “So Ella saw Pets’ mate, recognized him as someone she knew, put that knowledge to Kai, and Kai made the request for sanctuary for Pets on that basis.” He didn’t like it but it worked.  “Makes sense.”

            “After all, unmated females aren’t in abundance and Pets was bringing fresh new blood into their pack.” 

            Chun couldn’t help be a little annoyed by the thought.  “What about Emma?”

            “Emma is probably the most telling of the three,” Calvin chuckled.  “She’s going out of her way to try to incorporate Pets into her pack, make her known to the others.”

            Nodding his agreement with his assessment, deferring to his friend’s better knowledge of the players here, “Any guess as to who it might be?”

            Calvin smirked.  “I have my theories.”

            “Which are…”

            “You sure you want to know?”

            He hesitated, seeing the wisdom of his friend’s words.  But this was his sister’s future he was talking about, a future that was probably already set in stone.  “Tell me.”

            “I’ve got two candidates in mind and you’ve met them both.” 

            “Stop with the dramatics, just give me names.”

            “You take all the fun out of this,” Calvin mockingly pouted then grinned.  “Xiu and Kai.”

            Wincing, Chun processed that idea with some hardship.  “If it’s him it would explain Kai’s annoyance with Pets’ lack of shifter lore.”  Who would want an ignorant mate? 

            “Actually, that’s one of the reasons I think it’s more likely to be Xiu.”  He looked at the window, the gloomy skies still letting in some strong light.  If it stormed tonight, it’d make attacking and defending Sanctuary a greater task.  “Ella wouldn’t tell Kai if it was him; don’t think she’d want to risk changing the course of fate by letting out too much.  Emma said something similar about not interfering when unnecessary for risk of unforeseen consequences.  And I can’t see Kai not wanting a name if he’s going to allow an outsider into Sanctuary.”  Saying it out loud only seem to cement it more in his mind.  “So the better bet would be Xiu.”

            Agreeing with a sigh, Chun leaned back in his seat a moment, allowing himself half a breath of relief.  He’s been running on nerves and adrenaline for so long that he’s almost forgotten how to relax.  “Should I be worried that I just left my sister in his care?”  It would take him awhile to accept this reality but he didn’t exactly have a lot of choices. 

            “You mean in the care of her future mate?  Seriously?”

            “She’s my sister and she’s scared.  I have a right to worry about her.”

            “She’s about to become someone else’s concern.”

            “She will always be my sister.”

            Calvin rolled his eyes.  “Of course she is but she’s also got to be allowed to grow up.”

            Chun frowned at him.

            “What do you think would have happened if it had been Pets instead of Emma yesterday?”

            He couldn’t even think of it.

            “We were wrong,” Calvin said quietly, soberly.  “We always thought that the girls were helpless because they couldn’t be real shifters until they’re mated.”

            “That’s not…”

            “Hear me out,” he argued.  “That’s why we always guarded them, always protected them.  What did you guys do when things got a little rough in town?  You moved the Rens sister in with George and David for protection and made sure no one was ever alone.  Instead of letting them handle it, you… no, I’ve done it too; we moved to secure them.”  He looked at Chun.  “That’s not how it’s done here and they’re right.”

            “What are you getting at?”

            “That hyena tried to kill Emma.”  He allowed himself to relive that horrible scene again for a moment.  “She said she went for his jugular… just like her brother taught her.”  The moment had been etched in his mind.  “She knew what to do when she’s threatened.  She wasn’t waiting for someone to come rescue her; she didn’t even call for help.  And Ella?  She prepared an arsenal of weapons and is ready to defend her home against normals and shifters alike.  She laces her artillery with wolf’s bane for god sakes; she’s not kidding around.  And do we even need to go into Jing?  Those girls were ready to do battle; they are nowhere near helpless with or without being a shifter.”  Frustration tinted his tone, “Compared to them, we’re the helpless ones.”

            He hated it but he agreed; they hadn’t treated the girls as a functional part of the Orphan Pack and they had been wrong about it.  “She needs to be able to protect herself if she’s going to survive here.”

            “She’s going to have to start learning now,” Calvin added with a nod.  “Next time you see her, talk to her.  I’m sure Ella or Emma would be willing to teach her some basics.” 

            Agreeing with a nod, Chun considered the ramifications of Calvin’s thoughts on their situation.  “If my sister is bound to this place...”

            “Once she’s mated, you’re guaranteed an entry into their pack.”

            “That means nothing if everyone else isn’t safe.”

            “One at a time,” Calvin replied patiently.

            “No,” Chun replied forcefully.  “Either we’re all in or we all go on the run again.”

            “Your sister can’t run from her fate.”

            “Then my sister will stay,” he concluded. 

            Shocked, “You’d abandon your sister?”

            “I won’t have a choice.  And Pets would understand.”

            The lump in Calvin’s throat effectively shut him up.  The significance wasn’t lost to him and it didn’t hurt any less knowing.  “And Ella?  What will you do about Ella?”

            Torn between the pieces of his heart, he shrugged helplessly.  “That’s up to her.  I can’t make something happen that she doesn’t want.  That’s not what I want for her.”  But tearing her from this place could mean the end of his family; he couldn’t ask that of them either.  “But if she’s willing to run; I’ll run with her.” 

            Nodding his head, Calvin offered his hand in an uncharacteristic move.  “I can’t speak for the others… but if you run, I’ll be right there with you… to the very end.”

            Chun took his friend’s hand gravely, “Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.” 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Simon Y. Chen has been accused of many things; not putting the pack first has never been one of them.  Stalking the halls, he paced impatiently, mind churning with questions that lead to difficult possibilities.  And those possibilities could lead to some very dangerous and fatal decisions, especially for those closest to him.

            “Let’s talk,” Lily Tien Chen said as she walked through the front door and continued on to the back parlor without pause, dismissing the three bodyguards that’s shadowed her all day.  Yesterday’s attack meant heightened security even in the safety of the village. 

            Silent and concerned, he followed without word, glancing briefly at the three men that stayed at the foyer.  They wouldn’t come further unless given instructions to do so. 

            Shutting the door, Lily held up a hand quickly to silence him and walked across the room to the side panel.  She flipped a switch to ensure their privacy though they both winced at the sudden high pitch feedback before she turned it higher and out of their sensitive range.  “First of all, the girls are fine.  Wounded but fine.”  She frowned and began to pace the room.  “But they’re definitely hiding something, even from the boys.”

            “Ella tells Xiu everything.”

            “Not this time,” Lily answered and looked up at him.  “Something’s happened.  She’s no longer confiding in him.”

            Frowning, he glanced briefly out the window. The sun was low in the sky now; nightfall was in less than 2 hours.  “That’s unfortunate.”  Xiu may often side with his sister but when pushed came to shove, he made decisions on his own without his sister’s consent… or knowledge. 

            “On the other hand…” Lily poured herself a glass of red wine.  She preferred wine to tea. 

            “What?”

            “Ella talked to Kai; convinced the Tribunal to grant sanctuary to an unknown girl that’s just arrived with her brother in tow.”  She turned, glass in hand and stared at him a moment.  “Do you know anything about it?”

            “No more than you,” Simon replied, glancing at the wine in her hand.  She drank more when she was stressed.  “Just that Ella sponsored a traveler; the tribunal saw no reason to deny her.”  He watched her eyes, bright intelligent eyes that sparked and flashed with her thoughts.  “What are your thoughts?”

            Lily took a bracing mouthful.  “I think our son is about to obtain a mate.”

            Of all things, that was the least expected.  Simon expressed it as much.  “Xiu?  Are you certain?”

            “Of course not,” Lily replied and took a seat.  “But why else would Kai and the girls behavior so strangely.  They were definitely keeping something from me… and Xiu.  That in itself was a dead giveaway.”  Sweet, gentle, warm Xiu was his sisters’ protector, confident, and friend.  There was nothing they wouldn’t tell him.  Strong-willed, deadly, poker-faced Kai on the other hand… was definitely Lily Tien’s son.  “The fact that they’re keeping something from him could only be for his benefit.  And the way Ella and Emma rallied around the girl; it’s the most likely scenario.” 

            Surprised but relieved, “I always thought Kai would be first to find a mate,” then was suddenly delighted.  “What’s the girl like?  How has he taken to her?”

            “He hasn’t.  He’s been a little preoccupied.”  Lily frowned with concern.  “As for the girl…”

            “Yes?”

            “She’s… interesting.  But more importantly, she comes with strings attached to her past.”

            He hated it when his wife talked in riddles.  “What does that mean?”

            “She brings with her a brother and possibly others.  But more importantly, she and Ella have met prior to her arrival.”  Lily’s dark eyes sharpened with consideration, remembering the various reactions.  “And something definitely happened between Ella and the brother.  You can see it in their eyes.”

            There was a long pause.  “What kind of something?” Simon asked, his voice threatening and dangerous.

            Slanting him a glanced of annoyance, “Our daughter is neither stupid nor cruel; she would never allow anything to go too far.”

            “That means nothing to a man hell bent on having a woman,” Simon muttered darkly.

            “You should know,” Lily snapped before she could stop herself. 

            The pregnant silence sat between them like an upraised dagger.  Neither of them talked about the past; too dangerous of a subject even behind closed doors living amongst a pack that had sensitive ears.  And really, neither one of them wanted to talk about it.  What’s the point in digging up the past? 

            “Ella is emotionally compromised when it comes to these unknowns,” Lily continued, looking away.  “And Emma is always emotional.  The girls are having difficulties seeing everything clearly.  Adding Xiu’s possible mate into the mix has muddled their positions.”

            “Have they indicated anything that might help sway the collective Alphas into whatever position is best to defend the valley?”

            “The valley isn’t what I’m concerned about.”

            Simon’s mouth tightened.  “You think this is a play at the girls?”

            “Both of them?  On the same day?”  She slanted him a look.  “What do you think?”

            With a sigh, he glanced at the clock on the wall.  “Where are the boys?”

            “Xiu went to collect Ming and Kai is securing sanctuary.”  She too glanced at the clock.  “I gather there’s to be another meeting with the Council?”

            “The Alphas,” he corrected, trying not to lock his jaw in frustration.  “Do I tell them?”

            “And have Sanctuary overrun with idiots?” she asked with distaste.  “No.  Let our boys handle protecting their sisters.  Convince the others that it’s a play on the territory until the girls say otherwise or until there’s another play.”

            “They’re not stupid.  Is that wise?”

            “What other choice do we have?  They can think what they want but without proof or confirmation from the girls they won’t dispute it. ”  She could only pray that it was truth.  “The betas can keep a small guarding ring at the inn while the other clans circle the perimeters.  The two lines of defense should hopefully be enough to keep our girls physically safe for now.”  She didn’t have to remind him of the many, many, many warnings of seers short life spans, the endless cycles of pain and destruction.   

            “And emotionally?” Simon asked, thinking of Ella and that missing year she was away. 

            Lily finished her wine in one long gulp.  “Leave that to me.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Pets gritted her teeth and pulled the bowstring back again.  Focusing on the red target at 30 feet, she lined up the sight and determinedly ignore the screaming ache in her arm and shoulder.  She held her breath and released.  The arrow plunked almost half a foot to the right and a foot down from the target.  Biting down on the curse at the tip of her tongue, she picked up another arrow.

            “Stop,” Jing ordered firmly.  “Take off your glove and let me see your drawing hand.”

            Putting the arrow back into the quiver, she set the heavy compound bow down by her feet and peeled the three glove off her throbbing hand before turning it toward her instructor. 

            Frowning with concern, “That’s enough for today.”

            “I can go a little longer.”

            “You’re going to lose the use of your arms tomorrow if we don’t stop,” Jing warned her with a grin.  “I know you’re eager but don’t push yourself so hard that you end up injuring yourself.  We can continue tomorrow.”  She said it friendly but with a firm tone that didn’t allow for arguments. 

            Reluctantly, Pets nodded her acceptance and turned to look at the target again.  She was pulling ridiculously hard to the right, coming nowhere near the six inch diameter target on the big wide tree.  “I’m at this.”

            “It’s not bad for your first time,” Jing explained, showing her how to properly store the equipment with competent hands that was use to the motions.  “The fact that you can even hit the tree tells me that you’ve got enough innate strength for this.  Most people can’t the first few times around.”  And Jing had been careful to not to give her any illusions of what it took.  The girl was already behind the curve on what most of her contemporaries can do, it would be a disservice to handle her with kid gloves.  “Like I said, don’t over think it.”  She glanced at the overcast sky.  “We should get back to the inn.”

            “Can I ask something?” Pets rubbed her shoulder, trying to ease the ache.  “Why are you teaching me on the bow?  I thought you’d be teaching me how to shoot a gun.”

            “Guns are easy,” Jing explained picking her way through the thicket, “It’s literally point and squeeze the trigger.  You fire enough times you’ll eventually hit something, practice enough and you’ll get good at it.  The bow takes discipline and precision; and it’s the weapon of choice against shifters.”

            “Why?”

            Jing looked at her with a frown.  “They really didn’t teach you anything, did they?”

            Having gotten use to it by now, Pets shrugged.  “It wasn’t a good place and we had very little love and guidance growing up.”

            “Okay,” reframing from asking more.  It wasn’t her place and she had no right to judge.  “Shifters have natural rapid healing, we regenerate like crazy.  But to heal, the body has to be whole and healthy.  Bullets are fast, creates a lot of damage especially the exploding rounds, but it leaves the body quickly, allowing it to heal.  That’s why we lace our bullets with wolf’s bane, it poisons the body and slows the healing process.”  She lifted one of the arrows from the quiver across her back and showed her to barbed head.  “We use this because it’s a slower projectile; it embeds itself and makes it impossible for a shifter’s body to heal until it’s been removed.  Add wolf’s bane to that and you’ve got a lethal combination against our kind.”

            Pets stared at the deadly arrowhead for a moment.  “How good are you with this?”

            “I’m good,” Jing admitted without pride, “But no one is as good as Ella, not even her mother who taught her.  But then again, no one has as much motivation as Ella had.”

            “She’s had it rough?” surprised by it. 

            “Not the way you think,” Jing explained, “But none of us can possibly know what it’s like for her.  What I meant was Ella is motivated to be good at this because she had to be, people were always trying to come at her or Emma.  She’s learn to terminate with prejudice least it comes back to bite her.”

            “She’s killed before,” horrified at the thought.

            “Wouldn’t you if it meant your brother’s life?  Or your own?”  Jing asked very bluntly.  “And trust me, she’s done everything she can to avoid it.  Blood doesn’t come off when it’s stained your soul.”

            There was a pause before Pets asked, “Does she see everything?”

            “Not everything,” easily following her thoughts.  “And sometimes nothing useful.  But she does see a lot more than she lets on.”

            Nodding her head, Pets could only conclude, “She probably already knows then,” the logic falling into place.  “That’s why she got me sanctuary.”  Which meant she wasn’t going to have to go back…

            “Know what?” Jing asked distractedly, counting the arrows in the quiver.  She had use the non-lethal ones for practice but kept a few of the more deadly ones in the quiver, just in case.  They might be surrounded by the unseen patrols she knew were about but it never hurt to be prepared. 

            “About my mate,” Pets bit the inside of her cheek with concern.  “They must know who he is.”  Now the question is whether she should or should not ask….

            Startled, Jing almost tripped on her own feet.  “Your what?”

            Feeling her face turn warm with embarrassment, Pets looked in every direction by at Jing.  This wasn’t really a topic people discussed with virtual strangers; she’s only known the girl for a day despite their circumstances forcing them into a quick friendship. 

            “Is that why you’re here?” Jing asked, not sure she liked this new information. 

            “No,” Pets sighed, “I came because Calvin was here, because he’s family.  Because my brother is stupidly in love with a girl he apparently knew next to nothing about.”  She frowned at hearing it out loud then confessed, “And because I was running from what I thought was the Moon trapping me in that horrible place I once called home with a bunch of greedy wolves that swallowed my pack.”  She made a face, “Didn’t realize that fate had basically maneuvered me around like a chess piece.”

            “Your mate is here; in our pack?  Are you sure?”

            “No,” she admitted, “But this is the first time I’ve ever heard of Pures.  I had no idea that they existed.”  When Jing looked at her funny, Pets asked what’s she needed to know since earlier, “Are Pures that only ones with turquoise eyes?”

            “Turquoise?  You mean blue eyes,” she corrected carefully.  “Pures have blue eyes.”

            Pets stopped and considered it a moment, “Turquoise is a kind of blue, leaning toward green.”

            “I suppose,” Jing murmured, her mind churning hard.  “Have you seen this man?  Your mate?”

            “I only see a black wolf in my dream  and he’s always in the shadows, so I don’t know,” she answered honestly.  “At least, I’m not sure.  Are there a lot of Pures in your pack?”

            “No, there aren’t a lot of Pures anywhere but we probably have the most.  About a dozen of them in total.”

            Worried now, “And of those dozen, how many are unmated males?”

            “Five,” she answered without having to think about it.  Every girl of mating age had long been told which of the boys were the cream of the crop despite their fates being out of their hands.  And of the five, Jing knew exactly who had blue eyes that touched on green in his shifter form.  She had spent enough nights patrolling with him to know it anywhere. 

            “Jing?” Pets asked, looking at her new friend’s pale face, “Are you alright?”

            “I’m fine,” she lied through her teeth, bitterly angry with herself for feeling pain.  She had no right.  But that didn’t stop the piercing ache in her chest. 

            “You sure?  You look like you just swallowed nails.”

            Jing gave up a reluctant laugh and turned to say something when movement caught her eyes.  One hand grabbing Pets, she lifted her crossbow with the other, putting herself between the target and the inexperienced shooter. 

            “Don’t,” Kai warned as his shifted out of his wolf form and approached on two legs, shaking off the chill of suddenly losing his fur.  “Get back to the inn and stay there.  Tell the girls to lock it down, we’re going to high alert.  The other Alphas want to send people over if they’ll allow it.”

            “They think it’s seer geared?” Jing asked, not the least affected by Kai’s complete lack of clothes but glad for the distraction of his appearance.

            “They’re going to assume it,” Kai answered and scowled at the two of them.  “What are you doing out here anyways?”

            “Shooting lessons,” Pets answered, looking up at the sky, red from the neck up.  “I want to be useful.”

            Kai made a face and muttered, “Well, at least that’s something.”  He glanced at Jing a moment, then shook his head.  Now isn’t  the time to ask.  “Get back to the inn.  I’ve got Betas on patrol every ten minutes.  Stay alert.”

            Jing nodded and watched as Kai’s eyes flashed a bright electric blue before he dropped to the ground and sprouted snowy white fur.  He glanced at them again over his shoulders before he slipped into the woods again, disappearing in a blink of an eye. 

            All the Pures have their preferred animal.  Kai’s was the white wolf because it was the least frightening to Ella and Emma as children.  And his brother chose the exact opposite: a black wolf….with Pure blue eyes that touched on green. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

             «She paced the length of her bedroom, sweat beading across her forehead.  It wasn’t the humidity that was making her sweat, though it certainly didn’t help.  She was worried, stupidly so, and she couldn’t calm down.  The worse thing she could do right now was anything and she knew it but it didn’t help her anxiety.  Glancing at the clock again, she noted that it was almost two in the morning now, pass the witching hour, the most dangerous hour. 

            Giving up, she muttered “Screw it,” and headed to the window.  The worse that can happen was she gets caught.  And wild childhood of climbing in and out of this very same window hadn’t really taught her much grace.  She still managed to trip over the sill and scratch her shin on the window shutters on her way over the ledge leading to the tree that would allow her out of her second story bedroom.  Years of yelling at her not to sneak out of the house hadn’t led to her father cutting down the tree; it was perhaps always at the back of his mind that she may one day need an escape route. 

            She moved fast, knowing that the less time she spent exposed the less likely she was of getting caught.  There would be patrols out tonight, especially after everything that’s happened.  She’s pretty much screwed if she gets caught by one of the stickers for rules.  If it was one of her friends, she might still be able to get away with it.  But best not to tempt fate and just get the hell off the streets. 

            The time it took to traverse three blocks felt like eternity and she arrived out of breath and exhausted.  She was going to have to start taking those stamina building exercises seriously.  Glancing up at the darkened window, she briefly wondered if she has finally lost her mind like everyone always predicted.  Not allowing herself to think too much on it, she looked around for a grip or foothold and begin to climb.   

            In much less time than she expected, she was swinging her leg over the windowsill and dropping into the room. It was at the back of her mind that getting down would be much more difficult but she ignored the warning.  Perhaps this plan wasn’t her most brilliant… or even remotely cautious; in fact that might be the dumbest thing she’s done so far.  But things cannot continue as they have been.  Sleep was important and thoughts of him were making it difficult – best to confront the problem head on and be done with it.  What else can she do?

            The heavy heat dampened everything in the room, including the sheet that cover the lump in the middle of the bed.  The lump that hadn’t moved… which was strange.  She was probably the worse burglar known to man, making all sorts of noise.  Just climbing up the trellis had caused her to bump her leg half a dozen times, not to mention almost falling twice.  Even without his sensitive wolf hearing, he should have been awakened by all the ruckus she was making.

            Maybe something was wrong.

            Maybe that’s why she felt compelled to come tonight.  Despite all the logical warnings not to do something this reckless.

            What if he was hurt worse than he had let on and no one wanted to tell her?

            What if he wasn’t healing?

            What if he was dying?

            What if…

            All the self doubt and questioning wasn’t doing her any good.  Face it head on, that’s the way to answers.

            Coming around the bed, fearful more than anything, she slowly peeled back the thin sheet that clung to all that lean muscles that he always kept covered unlike the rest of his pack brothers…

            Bright golden eyes stared back at her a split second before he grabbed her hand.  “You really need to curb that curiosity of yours,” he warned and pulled her in.»

            Gasping for breath, she sat up in bed, heart pounding and sweat rolling down her back.  The cotton of her dress stuck to her back as she threw her blankets off and got up quickly.

            “Damn it, damn it, damn it…” she stalked the room with impatient steps and took deep cleansing breaths to ease the anxiety she felt.  It wasn’t the first time she’s had the dream and she suspected won’t be the last time either. 

            Glancing out the window, she searched for the hidden moon behind the dense clouds that kept the heat in.  They were two days from the full moon and she could feel the building tension and power in the air that had little to do with the gathering storm.  Something more was happening and she couldn’t even tell what and this stupid dream wasn’t helping any. 

            “Enough of this,” she muttered and swung back around.  Throwing herself back onto the bed, she prayed that the rest of the night would be dream-free and she could actually get sleep.

            But tomorrow…. Tomorrow she would seek help.  These endless dreams must stop.

 

To be continued….

------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note:  Hope everyone has enjoyed a blessed dull May.  I certainly have, which means this chapter was done on time and intact with no lost files and corrupted data to fix.  (Yay!)  Show me a little love and tell me what you think so far.