Chapter 12 – Protect

Shifting Lives

Chapter 12 – Protect

--------------------------------

            Ella could feel her stomach drop as her mother’s eyes kept glancing around the room as she half listened to the reports from her brothers.  There was something unnaturally intuitive about her mother – her father called it her sixth sense but Ella and Emma had wondered if there was a little bit of Seer in their mother.  Her witchy beauty, which Emma and Kai inherited, certainly plays heavily into that perception.  

“And the inn has been properly secured?”

            “Of course, Mother,” Kai replied quietly, glancing briefly at Ella.  With anyone else, he’d be offended.  But this was Mother. 

            “You didn’t have to come all the way out here, Mom,” Emma said sitting next to her mother’s chair.  “We know how much you hate Holy Ground.”

            “Three of my four children are wounded in an unforeseen attacked and I’m supposed to simply sit at home twiddling my thumbs?” Lily frowned at her.  “What kind of mother do you take me for?”

            “The kind that travels with bodyguards,” Ella pointed out.  “We’re fine, Mother; and you knew that already.  Does Father even know you’re here?”

            “Does it matter?” Lily asked with a raised brow.  “One would think I’m being kept a prisoner the way you go about describing my relationship with your father.”

            “Mother…” Emma whined like she would as a child.  “We know you’d probably kick Dad’s if he tried to tell you what to do.”  She snickered, “If fact, that one time we were going to the lake…”

            Lily opened her arm and pulled her youngest into her embrace.  “I don’t like knowing that you girls aren’t being properly protected.”

            “It won’t happen again,” Kai replied. 

            “See that it doesn’t,” Lily snapped sharply at her son.  “I take it the Betas will remain in Sanctuary for the time being?”

            “At least one squadron will be,” Xiu replied, stopping Ella from making a comment that might set their mother off again.  This crossed the line between pack business and family.  “We still have to investigate what instigated the attack – it’s been awhile since...” the rest of the thought was best left unsaid.

            “Leave it to the others,” she ordered and looked at her boys with sharp assessing eyes.  “You’re both too close to this to see it objectively and we need clear heads for this.”  She turned and looked at Emma’s pale face.  “You look like you’re in pain.”

            Not knowing how to answer that, Emma waffled a little.  “Well…”

            Lily smoothed a hand over her youngest’s hair, “Let’s get you upstairs,” standing suddenly as she lifted Emma to her feet.  “I want to check that wound and see you in bed before I have to leave.  The village is in a state right now; my being away won’t help.”

            “Has it been bad?” Kai and Xiu asked.

            “The rest of the council has been called; they’ve been at it since midnight.  Adjourned early this morning for break to meet with the other clans,” their mother explained.  “There’s another meeting called for noon with all the Alphas.  Besides that, I don’t know much else.”  She pinned the two with a sharp look.  “Your priority is here.  The pack is family, but blood comes first.”

            “Yes mother,” all four recited as a conditioned response.

            Sweeping her youngest along, Lily gently ushered Emma up the stairs, guiding toward her room.  At the last moment, before they reached they reached the landing towards the second set of stairs leading to the third floor; she veered away from her children.  She was a good ten feet away from them before anyone realized what was happening.

            Alarmed, Emma hurried after her, bracing her wound with her hand.  “Mom, wait…”

            “Just want to check something, my dear,” Lily replied breezily and swept down the hall, heading unerringly toward a door.  A door that Emma recognized and prayed was empty.

            “Mother…” she got there just as her mother’s hand closed around the doorknob. 

            But there was simply no stopping her. 

            Emma’s face reflected all her anxieties as the door opened and her mother took in the scene.  The tension practically crackled in the room. 

             “Well…” her mother’s eyes made quick judgment of the four that occupied the room, “Isn’t this interesting...” 

            “Mother,” Ella was slightly out of breath and almost tripped in the doorway.  “Mother, I can explain.”

            “Explain later,” Lily said coolly and glanced at the one recognizable face in the room.  “I’m surprised you’re here.”

            “I was asked,” Jing answered carefully. 

            “I asked her to,” Xiu and Emma both offered at the same time.  The two glanced at each other, one exasperated and the other looking uncomfortably awkward.  Xiu shook his head, “I asked her to help out the girls while Nicie was away.”

            “And where exactly is Bernice?” their mother asked, still coolly in control of the room. 

            “We sent her back to the village,” Ella answered.  “She needed to be there.”

            Lily’s eyes were steady as she looked at her eldest daughter and read the truth there.  “Come,” to the rest of the room, all of them, “Let’s have tea downstairs,” and took Emma’s hand to lead her out of the room and back downstairs.  Emma went with wide eyes and an agonizing look she threw over her shoulders as she followed her mother. 

            Ella watched her mother exit and then closed her eyes in resignation.

            “I’m sorry,” Xiu said quietly to Jing.  “She’s just ….”

            “I know, I know,” Jing replied, waving his concern away.  Grabbing the rifle from under the bed, she made for the door.

            “What do you plan on doing with that?” Kai asked as she passed him in the doorway. 

            “It’s called self preservation,” Jing replied dryly but relinquish the rifle with only some reluctance.  Besides, she still had a sidearm for backup. 

            “Is this a good idea?” Pets asked in a loud whisper.

            “No,” Calvin answered in the same theatre voice, “But I don’t see what choice we have.”

            “Don’t antagonize her,” Ella warned.  “Mother isn’t someone you want to mess with.”

            Chun frowned and caught Ella’s arm as she tried to follow the others out the door.  “Are you alright?” his thoughts were always on her, only ever on what was right for her. 

            “Tired,” she sighed.  Knowing her mother, she was going to leave until she had answers she could take back to their father.  “I already want this day to be over.”  Her head throbbed with pressure.  “Everything is so dark and muddled,” and she couldn’t see any light at the end of the tunnel.

            He reached for her hand and squeezed her fingers.  “It’ll be okay.”

            She instinctively closed her hand in his, drawing comfort and strength there.  And for a moment, she was back in North Thumberland, living a “normal” life for a blissful but short time; safe and secure in his arms.  Then she suddenly came back to herself and pulled her hand away.  “We better get downstairs,” and hurried away, unwilling to let herself be okay in his presence. 

            “Be patient,” Calvin whispered in comfort to his friend, “She’s under a lot of…”

            “I know,” Chun answered quietly.  “I can wait.” 

            Glancing at his friend, Calvin took note of how epically calm Chun was.  There was something enviably real about the way he looked at Ella and understood where she stood in his life.  “No more thoughts of going Lone Wolf?”

            He glanced at him, “I wouldn’t go that far.”

            “You serious?” He looked at Chun then glanced quickly at Ella, only a few steps ahead of them.  “They’ll never let her leave, you know.”

            “If it’s the only way to protect her…” Chun let the idea slide and said nothing more as they approach the front room. 

            Calvin sighed silently and braced himself.  “Okay, this is about to get interesting…”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Wes glanced at the rear view mirror again.  The road was clear and the sun was beating down on them between the clouds that hung low overhead.  Rain would soon follow.  And while he normally dreaded gloomy nights on full moons, he welcomed its shelter in such uncertain times. 

            “Where are we?” Sean asked groggily. 

            “Sixty miles east of the Green Mountain River.” 

            He blinked.  “That’s nowhere near where we need to be.”

            “Had to make a detour.”

            Turning in his chair, Sean scanned the horizon.  “Everything okay?”

            “Precautions,” Wes answered, making a turn he had planned before hand.  Grabbing the old-fashion paper map, he handed it to Sean.  “We’re just north of that bend next to the arrow I drew in.  Can you see if you can locate a route out to the other side without having to backtrack us too much?”

            Rubbing his eyes, Sean took the map and opened it across his lap.  “How long was I out?”

            “Less than four hours,” Wes drove with a steady hand, checking the mirrors again.  Still nothing.  “We’re heading into the mountains; need to find a place to run for the full moon.”

            “No rendezvous?”

            “No, not right now.” 

            Silent for a moment, Sean traced the map carefully with his finger.  “Have you heard from the others yet?”

            “I’ve spoken to Benji’s team; they ran into a few hits.”

            Sean looked up, “How bad?”

            Keeping his fears to himself and his voice steady, Wes answered with, “George and Benji are out of commission for a bit.” 

            “How bad?” Sean asked again, steel in his voice now.  “WES!” he snapped when the silence progressed.

            “I don’t know their condition,” Wes admitted, “But David wasn’t exactly telling us that they got a mere scratch for their efforts.”

            Deep in thought, Sean seemed to have aged 10 years in 10 seconds then nodding his acceptance, “How are we handling it?”

            “We’re holding the scattered formation and rendezvous after the full moon.  I think all of us are off track right now.” 

            “The others are safe?”

            “As far as we know,” Wes glanced at his mirror again.  Something was coming over the horizon too far away for him to tell what was what.  “We’re going to stick to the plan but push the deadline for a few days.  It’s best if we aren’t all converged; makes us a bigger target to hit.”

            “I can’t argue that,” Sean muttered as he turned back to the map.  “So how are…”

            “I’ve spoke with Cal and the others as well.”

            That certainly got Sean’s attention.  “Are they…”    

            “Together and safe,” Wes replied, a genuine smile touching his face.  It was the first real piece of good news they’ve had in awhile.  “It’s been awhile since I’ve heard such warmth in Pets’ voice.” 

            Sean smiled but there was great sadness and fear there, like a warrior that knew he was leaving home for the last time.  “I’m glad she finally feels safe again.”          

            “It’s going to be alright, you know,” Wes said quietly.  “We’ll make it through this.”

            He nodded in response, his face reflecting this pensive thought.  “Whatever happens, we insure that the girls are safe, right?”

             “Propagating of the species,” it wasn’t an original thought. 

            “The girls make it to safety, okay?” he said again, a little more urgently this time. 

            Wes let the silence hang for a moment.  “What’s wrong?”

            Sean didn’t pretend not to understand.  They were beyond that time now.  “I.. I just have a feeling that this isn’t the end of it yet.  Our road is… full of pitfalls.”  He stared at the sun, blinding himself for a moment.  “And I don’t think we’re all going to be pulled out of the darkness.”

            “Is that really what you think?” Wes asked, solemnly.  “That we’re not making it out of this alive?”

            “I didn’t say that,” Sean replied, “I said that we wouldn’t all get out of the dark.  But I want the girls to be okay, you know?” Protecting this family meant a lot to him. 

            “We’re going to make it,” Wes replied, conviction in his tone.  “We’re going to be okay.  Here on out, we are who we were always meant to be.  We’re not children anymore and what we do – primal and dirty – is who we are.  And survival is an instinct that we were born with.”  There was steel in his eyes.  “And I will have no regrets at the end of the day.”

            Sean was silent, regretful.  “You shouldn’t have to descend into these murky waters.  Let me do the wading, okay?”

            “Why do you insist on taking on the burden yourself?”

            “Because I want some of us to come out of these with our hands clean,” he confessed with no regret for himself.  “I’ve already stepped into that bloody pool; I want you to stay out of it.” 

            “Sean…”

            “Please,” he added, looking at his best friend.  There was depth in those dark eyes that were so seldom seen in the usually carefree soul that Sean presented to the world.  “It’s easier for me to do this when I know I’m doing this for something other than just survival.  I can live with that.”  The desperation in his heart couldn’t be hidden by his steady voice. 

            Wes didn’t know how to comfort him, or how to ease the obvious pain he could see in his friend’s eyes.  He was never one to dream about the happily ever after for himself, but he always thought that there was a possibly that Sean could obtain it; a happy ending to ease the shadows that darkened his psyche.  “Alright… but I need you to promise something.”

            “What?”

            “That we’re going to come out of this together, with or without staining our souls.”  Wes needed him to fight for this life, to know that his best friend wasn’t just going to throw it all away to insure their safety; that his own life was important as well.

            Nodding his head, Sean gave up a reluctant smile.  He’s never said it out loud, but he knew better than anyone else that Wes’ heart was probably the purest of them all.  The rest of the Orphan Pack always assumed that Sean was the more vulnerable for the pair, but Sean knew better.  Wes had been alone more so than Sean ever had been.  Yes, he’s lost more when he was orphaned but Wes had always been alone; this was literally the only family Wes has ever known and to lose that…  Sean would do anything in the world to insure that Wes never felt alone again.  “I promise.”           

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Fei ran all the way back to the apartment, her ponytail flying as she raced around pedestrians on the crowded sidewalk.  Three Rivers was booming town, full of pack members and “normals” alike.  They, unlike the other four clans that surround Sanctuary, bordered the outside world and had an abundance of resources. They were the only ones with an expanding population… which also exposed them to more dangers. 

            The complex she and the guys had settled into wasn’t the nicest one but was close the transport system and work.  Since leaving the orphanage, the four of them had had to make their way into the world, refusing the handouts from the pack members what look after their own.  They had to be able to be independent if they hoped to survive in their oftentimes savage world. 

            “What is it?” Matthew asked immediately as she slammed the front door behind her.  He was out of his seat and coming toward her, his face reflecting his concern. 

            Out of breath and still in a state of shock, it took Fei a few bracing gulps of air to be able to talk.  “There’s been an attack at Sanctuary.”

              The room went silent.  None of them knew what to say.

            “Where did you hear this?” Sam got to his feet.

            “I went to get my clothes done at the Laundromat and…”

            “FEI!” Sam warned sharply.  The girl tends to go off on tangents.

            “Nicie,” Fei answered.  “I saw Nicie and she told me.”

            “Isn’t Nicie supposed to be in Sanctuary?” Matt pointed out unnecessarily.

            “The seers sent her home for the week,” Fei confessed.  She didn’t need to tell the guys what Nicie already figured out.

            “They knew there’d be an attack,” Wayne said out loud when the others wouldn’t. 

            “They sent Nicie to safety,” Matthew concluded with a grim look.

            “She must be devastated,” Sam murmured under his breath.

            “Was anyone hurt?” Wayne asked, always the first to think of others.

            “Don’t know,” Fei replied.  “Nothing is coming out of Sanctuary right now.  They have the inn on lock down with two Beta teams there.”

            “You think something’s happened to the seers?” Sam asked, his seriously face growing dark with concern. 

            “That’s what everyone is speculating.”

            Wayne stated the obvious.  “This is bad.”

            “You think it’s another territory war or a hunt for a seer?” Matthew asked. 

            “Is that a really question we should be contemplating on?” Sam commented as he looked around the room. 

            “It is if we’re sending Fei to Sanctuary,” Matt pointed out, “I don’t want her going there if there’s others gunning for the seers.  Fei can get caught in the crossfire.” 

            “It’s not like we’re sending her there alone, right?” Wayne asked with quick concern.  “We’re going with her as well.”

            “And do what?” Sam asked, his face reflecting his genuine confusion.  “We’re not even allowed to step foot on Holy Ground unless invited, remember?  The Betas would have our heads.”

            “Sam’s right,” Matthew nodded, “Only Fei is going to be allowed any length of time in Sanctuary with a damn good reason.” 

            “How am I supposed to be okay with sending her there alone?” Wayne wanted to know. 

           “She is not Little Red Riding Hood and is going to get eaten by a Big Bad Wolf here,” Matthew reprimanded, not adding that they were the Big Bad Wolves here. “And of course, we’ll see her to safety first.  I’m just saying that we can’t stay with her while she’s in Sanctuary getting her confirmation.”

            “I don’t like it,” Wayne replied, letting his fearful thoughts known.  Breaking up their little family was the last thing he was willing to do.  But Fei’s nightmares were getting worse and if she’s having “the dream” then it meant their peaceful time together as a make-shift family is coming fast to an end. 

            “I’ll be alright,” Fei assured him, enfolding him in her arms.  “And you’ll always be my brothers,” she nodded with a finality that made it difficult to swallow. “But I don’t think now is a good time to go to Sanctuary.  Things must be totally chaotic over there.”

            “Agreed,” Sam frowned and looked at the others.  “Keep your ears open tonight at the club.  We might be able to find out something.”

            “We’re going to protect you,” Matthew assured Fei.  “But you can’t fight the Moon. And the longer these dreams continue, the more harm can come to your body… or at least that’s what the wise-women have said.”   He hated it but he had to be realistic. 

            Fei nodded, aware of the consequences.  “I’ll deal with it.”  The longest anyone has lasted against the pull of the Moon was three cycles.  After that… the insanity sets in, or so they say.  But it wasn’t a theory she wanted to test out.  Not that she had much choice.  The man in her dreams has yet to appear and she was starting to doubt he even existed.  That unnaturally beautiful face… it can’t be real.  Right? 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            The silence was so thick you can cut it with a knife.  Lily poured the hot water into the tea pot, stirred in loose leaves with a graceful practiced hand, and covered it to seep before she coolly looked up to assess the gathered individuals it the room.  The unknown trio was all watching with a mixture of caution and controlled uncertainty, the boys being better at hiding it then the lone girl.  Jing looked cautious and amused, as she usually is.  Her boys were watching her with equal parts annoyance and frustration.  Emma and Ella’s reactions were the most curious. 

            Emma looked anxious.  And Ella… Ella looked resigned.  And sad; both of her girls look simply sad. 

            “So what brings you to our little town?” Lily inquired (or demanded) as she gently set out the teacups.  Each cup matched its saucer, and each saucer had a tiny gold spoon with an emblem on top.  Tilting the creamer pot, she poured a dollop of cream into the bottom of each cup, just enough to cover the base and protect the fine bone china. 

            Calvin glanced at Ella a second, trying to read how he should proceed, then gave up.  Nothing quite like the truth to keep the story straight, “We’re looking for new grounds to plant roots.”

            “And you chose Sanctuary?”

            “No, coming here was a fluke,” he admitted with a self deprecating grin, “A fortunate one but definitely a fluke.  I was just looking for a place to get out of the rain.” 

            That natural charm of his sparkled when he smiled; and Lily made a note of it as she watched her daughters with interest.  Ella didn’t care, but Emma smiled in return – reacting to kindness in kind.  “Well, it’s a good thing that the first person you met upon was a friendly one.  It’d be quite the misfortunate had you run into one of our patrols.”  It was an unnecessary throw away comment that doubled as an understated warning. 

            “Mother…” Emma started to say, wanting to deflect some of the attention. 

            “I’ll pour,” Ella interrupted, getting up to move next to her mother. It was a subtle move; blocking her mother’s scrutinizing gaze from the others; but quite effective. 

            “Allow me,” Calvin said, putting his hand gently on Ella’s arm.  When she looked up, he held her gaze, letting her know that he would handle matters today – all of it.  There was thoughtfulness there, and perceptive realization of what kind of position he had placed her in.  “It’s been awhile since I’ve done this,” he confessed to Mrs. Chen, folding back his left arm as he took hold of the teapot with his right.  Standing, he leaned gently over and tilted the spout over each cup, pouring with ease but care and never to the brim.  When all the cups were filled, he presented the first cup with one hand to the matriarch, “And how do you take your tea?” and opened the sugar bowl with the other. 

            Reluctantly impressed and amused, Lily shook her head.  “This is fine,” and took the cup from him.  “And you two?” turning to Chun and Pets.

            Pets looked at her brother, not sure if she should speak.  There was such a sense of danger in the air…

            Chun’s gaze was steady.  “I was looking for my friend and a place that can protect my sister.”

            “Unmated females are few in-between,” Lily commented, watching Pets with a speculative gaze now.  “The men outnumber us quite a bit and yet there are so few of us that can produce healthy progenies.” She smiled at her sons then turned to her girls with concern.  “And sometimes we get the unexpected miracles,” touching Emma’s face gently.  Then in a blink, she turned those sharp eyes on Pets again.  “I assume you’ve asked for sanctuary.”

            “It’s been granted on a probationary basis,” Kai answered before Ella could. 

            “Has it now?” Lily commented speculatively, an edge to her tone.  “I assume you handle the intro?” she asked Kai.

            “I did,” Ella answered her mother as she lifted then sat down the teacup. Her hands had suddenly gone weak and she didn’t want her mother to see it. 

            “We agreed on it,” Emma added softly, holding her mother’s eyes and said nothing more. 

            Lily nodded, “I see…” and she did.  If nothing else, it was a wise move.  “And how long do you plan on staying in the area?”

            Chun’s tone didn’t change; it was neither challenging nor accepting, “As long as it takes.”

            There was a charged silence as Lily read his impassive face.  Ella held her breath and urged herself not to interfere – she could only exacerbate the situation. Emma swallowed and readies herself to do something stupid – a not-so-uncommon thing in her family.  Kai watched Xiu, who was watching their mother with a frown that bordered exasperation.  Neither of the boys looked particularly thrilled to have to sit through this interrogation.  And neither was surprised that none of the other Betas were walking in on them… they were too smart for that. 

            “Well then,” Lily smiled, coolly satisfied with something, “Where shall we put you since I do not plan on allowing you boys to stay here with my girls?”

            “Café,” Kai and Xiu replied at the same time.  The brothers, united as usually only for their sisters, glanced at each other and nodded.  “The decision has already been made.”

            “Who said?” Emma asked suddenly.  She looked at her brothers.

            “It’s safer for everyone involved,” Xiu said quietly. 

            Emma’s turned her eyes on Ella, “But…”

            Ella shook her head quickly at her sister; now was not the time for this discussion.

            “What aren’t you saying?” their mother asked, the fine line of concern marring her face. 

            Ella hesitated a little too long. 

            “Is this something I need to know?” Calvin asked quite seriously.

            “Not really,” Emma answered and looked at Ella again, her words belaying her concerns. There was time when seeing too little and seeing too much meant the same things. 

            “Mother, may we speak with you privately?” Ella asked, standing suddenly.  Emma scrambled to her feet as well, wincing when she moved awkwardly. 

            If she was surprised by the formal request, Lily didn’t show it in either her languish movement or her looks.  Ella’s eyes held a warning look as she exited behind her mother, prodding Emma along with a hand on her shoulder. 

            “What the hell was that?” Calvin wanted to know to no one in particular in the room. 

            “That was our mother,” Kai glared and poured himself more tea.  He hated tea. 

            “I meant with Ella and Emma,” Calvin clarified.  “You know anything about what the heck their talking about?” he asked the two brothers.

            Xiu shook his head, his brows furrowed with concern.  “Emma always followed Ella’s lead and Ella’s been so withdrawn lately,” that more than anything worried him.

            “It’s not like it’s anything new,” Jing commented, “She’s always kept her own counsel.” 

            “Not like this,” Kai and Xiu answered, looking at each other with unease. 

            “Maybe you should talk to her?” Pets whispered to her brother, “See if she’s willing to tell you something?”

            “And why would she do that?” Kai asked brows rose in curiosity. 

            Pets would have bite off her own tongue if she thought it’d help.  Why, why, why couldn’t she just shut up!  She didn’t like being out of her elements and this whole weirdness was definitely out of her comfort zone.

            “,” Xiu’s eye narrowed as he watched Chun’s face.  “You’re in love with her.” 

            He didn’t answer, didn’t really need to.

            Jing smirked.  “You’re just figuring that out?” and poured more hot tea, offering the pot to the others in the room.

            “Not really my thing, Jing, and I’ve been a little distracted,” Xiu muttered and then sighed.  “Well, you’re definitely not staying here then.”

            “How’s the shoulder?” Jing asked, ignoring the other comment.

            “Fine,” nevertheless, he rubbed it with his free hand. “A little stiff but it’s healing.”  He looked at Calvin and Chun.  “You two are going to the café, regardless of what Emma or Ella says to my mother.”

            “You should take a walk in the woods later, get off Holy Ground,” Jing suggested blithely.  “And maybe patrol while you’re at it.”

            “Stop trying to distract him,” Kai said with a sharper tone.  “And you will be going to the café.  I don’t want the girls entangled in pack politics issues with the two of you here.  There’s going to be enough pressure on them today.”  He glanced at Pets.  “You can stay here as long as you stay out of trouble.”

            “How would I know how when I’m never sure what is what around here?” Pets asked honestly.

            Xiu laughed reluctantly and maybe a little pained then shook his head.  “Just do what Ella tells you to do.”

            “Ella isn’t exactly the sharing type,” Pets pouted and looked at her brother.  “Maybe I should go with you.”

            “Best not,” Jing advised, turning serious for a moment.  “The boys can hold their own but Holy Ground is our best defense.  Plus with your temporary status as a guest of Sanctuary, it’d be better for you all around if you stick close.” 

            “Besides its natural defenses against our kind,” Xiu added, “We’ve got 2 units here for the girls.  It’s probably safer here than anywhere else.” 

            “Unless I put my foot in my mouth again,” Pets grumbled but nodded her head reluctantly.  “Alright, I’ll stay put,” and glanced at the brother again.  His serious face reflected little of this deeper thoughts and he appeared absorbed in whatever else was occupying his mind.  “How long do I have to stay here?”

            “As long as it takes,” Chun answered and looked at the door. He’d give a lot to know what was being said right now.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            “He’s a piece of the bigger puzzle,” Ella said without preamble.  When it was just the three of them, there was no need to stand on formalities.  The mother/daughter relationship is thrown into the shadows when the seers’ thoughts are in play.  “We’re not sure just how entangled he is in this.”

            “But things have been shifting rapidly since his arrival,” Emma added, starting to pace. “That cloud we’ve been talking about for weeks now is moving again… we’re just not sure in which direction.”  She tried to put her finger on it, “It’s like he’s at the eye of some kind of storm.”

            “More the reason to remove him from your sanctuary,” Lily concluded, leaning on the wall.  “If he is the reason that the outside is moving in on us…”

            “I don’t think he is,” Emma replied, “If anything, I think he’s been trying to hide from the outside world.  He is looking for his sanctuary.” 

            “A safe harbor,” Ella murmured.  “He’s a Lone Wolf.”

            “And his friends?” Lily asked, watching her girls with sharp eyes. 

            “Pets is trying to escape the inevitable,” Ella replied with a shake of her head, “But the Moon has her own plans.”

          “There’s a reason she’s here,” Emma shrugged, “The harder she tries to escape, the closer she comes to it.”

            Lily has always easily read between the lines.  “The girl can stay but those boys have got to go… at least to the café,” she added when both of them opened their mouths to argue.  “I agree with your brothers, it’s too dangerous here – for them.  The number of people that will be trafficking this area is only going to increase.  Getting them out of sight from the other clans is for their safety.”

            Both seers paused, looked at one another, and nodded in agreement.  “Alright, they go to the café,” Ella said with a frown then rubbed her temples with one tense finger.  “I just feel like there’s something we’re missing.”

            “Have the visions become more difficult?” Lily asked with concern. 

            “I have a concussion,” Ella reminded her, “They’re sights are coming on in waves; I’m trying to ignore the more fragmented ones.”

            A mother’s protective instinct was hard to fight and with her girls, Lily seldom had to.  “Sit down,” urging to into a chair and checked the pupils of her eyes; they were dark and dilated as she suspected.  “You’re pushing yourself too hard again.” 

            Ella let her mask slip a little.  “Someone tried to kill GuiGui,” then turned to look at her sister.  “How can I just sit by…”

            “I’m alright,” Emma replied, running into her sister’s arm.  “I’m safe.” 

            For a moment, there was a painful silence of regret and fear.  “I can’t ever seem to protect you properly,” Ella murmured, holding tighter.  “I’m sorry.”

            “It’s not your job to protect me,” Emma told her, feeling the tears rise to the surface, “I have to be able to protect myself.”

            “Yes,” Lily agreed with a nod, “But it doesn’t mean you have to do it alone.”  She raised her girls to know how to protect and defend each other, to be able to live with their gifts and not allow others to use it to control them – it was all she could give them in their dangerous world.  “That’s what family is for.”

            “It’ll be fine,” Emma replied softly, “I know it will.”

            “Do you see it?” Lily asked, wondering if she should be asking.  Nothing good ever came from knowing too much too far in advance. 

            “No,” Emma answered.  The gentle smile on her face gave her an unearthly beauty.  “But I feel it.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            The phone in the car rang loudly, obnoxiously.  Kristen hit the answer button quickly to stop it from disturbing her sleeping sister. 

            “What’s wrong?” Rainie said without preamble. 

            “We’ve got a tail,” Aaron replied grimly as he glanced sideways at Jiro.  His friend was climbing into the backseat of the jeep where there was more room, already starting to shed his clothes.  “We’re going to pull away from you guys and take them on a little side trip.”

            “Are you sure about this?” Rainie asked because she had to.

            “If it’s nothing, it’s nothing,” Jiro answered, yanking his tee-shirt overhead.  “But if it is something, I don’t want them near you.  If they continue to follow you, we’ll come out from behind them, sandwich them between us.”  And if they go after the girls, there would be hell to pay. 

            Aaron nodded, “It’d be safer either way for us not to be traveling too close in proximity, offers a much bigger target.”

            “I don’t feel right about doing this,” Kristen commented quietly, her concern obvious in her voice. She understood that in running from North Thumberland, they were opening themselves up to a lot of bloodshed.  But the reality hasn’t yet sank completely in… not completely.

            “Not much choice,” Jiro said as he watched the truck behind them.  They were too far away for him to see into the dash.  “We got to be sure we get away clean.  Got to protect Rainie and the…” he clamped his mouth shut quickly, already having said too much. 

            “And the baby?” Kristen concluded for him.  She glanced over her shoulder at an embarrassed and exasperated Rainie.  “Selina already guessed.”

            “How the hell did you…”

            “Little things,” Kristen grinned.  “Mostly your attitude and the way you laid on your side holding yourself.  It wasn’t hard to deduce.”

            “You girls are a lot sharper than people give you credit for,” Jiro concluded with a shake of his head.  “But it doesn’t change anything.  We still need to find safe grounds for us to run and to shake this tail.”  He watched the fast moving truck that continued to keep pace with them – always too far for him to see clearly.  “Turn off is coming up soon.  Keep the course and stay safe.”

            “Be careful,” Rainie replied, unable to stop herself from glancing behind them even if she couldn’t see him.  “The baby and I will be waiting for you.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

             «The foliage was thick, damp with moisture.  She ducked under a few lower hanging branches and continued to make her way deeper into the glen.  The scent of freshly crushed green overwhelmed her senses a little, reminding her that she was nowhere near home and this was a brand new world she’s about to dive into. 

            “You came.”

            She gasped, turned and lost her balance.  Her hand struck the ground first at a bad angle and she cried out.  The pain radiated all the way to her shoulder and she felt the sudden gathering of tears in her eyes.  He was by her side in the next second, crouched in the moss and wet ground that had attempted to cushioned her fall.

            “I’m sorry,” he whispered, catching her wrist with one hand and wiping her cheek with the other.  “Are you alright?”

            Pulling her arm away, she avoided his eyes.  The thick shadows helped hide their faces from each other. 

            “Let me see,” trying to take her hand again.

            “I’m fine,” she got up, “I don’t even know why I’m here.”  That was a lie.  She knew it was a lie even as it left her tongue. 

            “Don’t you?” there was a hint of laughter in his voice, amusement blended with arrogance.  “Now let me see that hand so that…”

            “This is a mistake,” she pulled away and struggled to her feet, heart pounding for reasons she will not allow herself to admit to.  “I gotta go.”

            “You come all this way out here just to run away?” he asked, mockingly.  The shafts of light between the branch danced mysteriously across his face as he moved.  “I had thought you’d have more gumption than that.”

            Bristling at the insinuation, “Gumption?” she snapped as she turned to face him again, “Who the hell uses that kind of language anymore?”

            He had gotten startlingly too close and she took a step back, “Someone capable of it,” he answered with that same smug tone.  He was rattling her and he knew it; delighted in it.

            “You’re an ,” she replied and started to walk away.

            “And you’re a liar,” he retorted, following her in time to catch her again when she stepped on a soft patch and almost fell again.  He chuckled softly, the shadows offering him cover as he grinned at her.  “Not to mention a klutz.”

            Her hackles raised at the insult added upon her injury and she swung at him with an open palm.  The crack of flesh was loud in the peaceful woods and the silence the followed screamed at them with only the sound of her irate pants to break through.  Her anger kept her from seeing just how precautious her situation was or she’d have made wiser choices.  Not that a slap to the face did much but turn his head.

            That arrogant grin was replaced by the tiny trickle of blood that he from the corner of his mouth with the tip of his tongue as he turned back.  With his face in the shadow and only a tiny sliver of light across his jaw, he appeared as dangerous as he actually was.  And if she was smarter, she’d be running for her life.  Not that running would do any good and was possibly the worse idea against someone that could literally turn into a hunter.

            Then the grin appeared again, amused and pleased, “I like a girl with sass.  Gets my heart pumping,” he hissed as he leaned closer, eyes aglow and revealing a neat row of pearly white teeth – teeth that were sharpening and growing elongated canines…»

            She woke with a fright, breath held and limbs jerking awake.  The scream that had been caught in was swallowed with some difficulty and she held perfectly still for a moment to orientate herself.  The blinding sun not helping at all.

            “You alright?” Kristen asked from the driver’s seat, startled by the way her sister had woken up.  “You look like you had a nightmare.”

            Selina took a bracing breath and nodded uncertainly.  “Something like that.”

            Confused and concerned, “What’s wrong?”

            It didn’t take a genius to figure it out.  Groaning partly in pain and partly in exasperation, Selina burned her face in her palms for a moment before answering.  “Pets isn’t the only one with lousy timing.”

 

To be continued….

------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note:  Sorry for the delay, I lost half the chapter during an unexpectedly stupid moment.  (I blame it on sleep deprivation.)  More things to come, more characters will interact as this story continues to grow… out of control.  At this point, I kind of lost my original story plot to all the side stories so I’m going to try to steer it back to that.  Though I do have to admit to having a lot of fun with the different characters. 

Let me know your thoughts in the comment section.  And for those of you asking: yes, Aaron is part of the story and will get a bigger part later.