Chapter 20 – Instinct

Shifting Lives

Chapter 20 – Instinct

--------------------------------

            “…. and you just LET HIM GO?” Kai’s voice rose with barely tamed fury.  “What part of ‘we are at war’ do you not understand?”

            The four squeezed onto the living room couch flinched simultaneously.  It was the first time they’ve had to face the Beta’s legendary fury. 

            Nick frowned both at his Beta commander and at the 3 new betas sitting on the sofa.  He understood family but this was serious.  “Did you at least get a name?  A description?  An idea where he might be headed?  Any clue as to his intentions?  We aren’t exactly on well traveled roads; what was he even doing here?”

            The three looked at one another, unable to answer.  Fei looked closer to tears now than she had been during the whole violent episode. 

            Kai paced back to them again, “You said he was on a motorcycle, did one of you at least get a license number we can trace?”

            Again, the question was met with difficult silence. 

            “Enough,” Ella interrupted her brother’s reprimand with a stern look. “Please.”

            Kai let out a hard breath and tried to rein in his frustration but gave his sister lead.  He was more aggravated and angry at having hyenas come anywhere near pack territory than anything else.  This invasion was getting worse by the minute and he was too short-handed to do anything effectively, even with the other clans reaching out to secure Sanctuary.  Time to regroup; none of what they were doing so far was working.  New plan…

            Ella gave her brother a moment to calm down and get his head back into the game, and silently asked Nick with a glance to hold him back if necessary, before turning to the four on the couch holding each others’ hands in support.  The Orphans looked young and lost, afraid and tired; not the best way to be introduced.  She focused on the only girl, her face pale and frightened by the events of the afternoon.  “Are you guys hurt?”  All four shook their heads.  “Good,” then walked over and sit on the coffee table in front of Fei.  The girl’s eyes were blown wide and she looked ready to bolt at any provocation.  Taking her hands from the others, Ella held them in her own for a minute and let her mind wonder a brief second before asking, “Are you alright?”

            Fei looked startled.  It took her a moment to answer, nodding her head quickly then stopped, and shook them quickly.  Lying to a seer was probably not the smartest thing to do. 

            Forcing down a smile, because there was official business that needed to be attended to, Ella gave Fei a moment to calm down.  “Did the stranger that got away save you from the hyenas?”  Fei nodded her head vigorously – she was frightened beyond words.  “Okay, can you tell me what happened?”

            Turning to her brothers, Fei looked torn before she answered, “Well…”

[40 minutes Ago]
            The stranger’s perfect face wrinkled with concern as Fei continued to stare at him in silence.  “You okay?”

            She nodded quickly, scrunching herself into Wayne’s side even more, as if to physically hide. 

            Wayne and Matthew both looked at her, confusion clearly written on their concerned faces as they looked from one to the other, wondering about her suddenly change in mood.  Matt reached back, gently shifting his stance so he was slightly in front of Fei, shielding her from sight.  “Thanks for the assist but we’ll take it from here.”

            Sam, still in his white pelt, growled softly but didn’t make any moves.

            “Stop it,” Fei whispered to the others despite her own actions.  “He saved me.”

            Wayne patted her arm and nodded before addressing the stranger.  “We really appreciate  you coming to her rescue.”  He inclined his head low, eyes on his feet, a show of submission and trust, “Thank you,” and sincerity.  Losing Fei would have killed them all.

            The stranger looked uncomfortable for a second, oddly effective by the gratitude.  “I… I was just passing though.  Saw the chase and thought it wasn’t right.  No big deal.”

            Fei opened to contradict him but her words were lost to the second vehicle that approached at the moment.  The Orphans all tensed but the stranger merely turned and greeted the newcomer with a nod.

            The second motorist stopped but didn’t get off, “You okay?” His body was tense, ready to move at any provocation.

            “I’m fine,” the beautiful stranger answered and slipped the helmet over his head again.  “Let’s go,” and started his engine.

            Feeling a moment of panic, Fei extracted herself from her brothers and took two quick instinctive step towards him.  Sam jumped into her path, keeping her at bay.  For a second, she felt torn between obeying her brothers and obeying her heart.  But her head won out when Wayne and Sam grabbed her arms so she merely called out, “Thank you.”  It was hurried, awkward, but full of fearful honesty.  “For everything.”

            The stranger turned his head, paused as if to read her through the tinted visor of his helmet, then nodded his acknowledgement before motioning to his companion and rode off.  He glanced back only once, as if hesitating and uncertain for some unknown reason before talking himself out of his own thought and disappeared around the bend.

            “And that’s it?  He saved you and just left?” Ella asked quietly.  Fei nodded, her eyes holding all kinds of sadness and fear.  Ella squeezed her hand with reassurance.  With a sigh, she turned and looked at her brother.  “We need to talk.”

            Kai frowned at her but nodded and turned to the door assuming she meant privately.  But before he got there, Emma stepped in hurriedly.  Her eyes were bright with excitement.  He frowned, “What is it?”

            Emma smiled with mischief and looked at Ella with a knowing raised brow.  “They’re here.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Wes pulled his helmet off and turned to Sean with an uncertain look.  The ride through town had been careful and cautious; every corner of the quaint little vacation retreat village had been scented by shifters… multiple shifters.  Lots and lots of shifters.  The town couldn’t have been more obviously marked if they had simply put a sign out front: Shifter Territory – Enter at Your Own Risk.

            “We’re sure this is the place?” Sean asked quietly, his eyes constantly searching. 

            Wes looked at the quaint faded sign overhead.  “Cozy Café; this is it.”

            Sean raised his nose and scented the air.  “I don’t smell them.”

            “Let’s not jump to conclusions,” Wes advised and parked his motorcycle with a sigh, feeling the tension between his shoulder blades.  He glanced back toward the road they had just traversed, his mind wondering a little when he really couldn’t afford it to. 

            Shaking his head, Sean carefully removed his outer gear in case he needed to move fast into his pelt.  “What’s wrong?”

            “Nothing.”

            “Wes…”

            “Nothing,” Wes assured his friend.

            “You’ve been weird all afternoon,” Sean said seriously, his eyes always tracking their surroundings.  “And taking off like that earlier… that was not…. You….” Sean’s brows furrowed in concern.  “You scared me.”

            “I’m sorry,” Wes said sincerely.  “I … I went with instinct.  Something felt off and then I just…” he made a helpless gesture that was equal parts frustration and confusion.  “I just went with it.  I don’t know why.”  And that was probably the most dangerous part.  He was exhausted and let his wolf take the reins for a few seconds and it lead him straight into a fight.  “I’m sorry.”

            “Don’t…” Sean shook his head, frowning at his friend.  “You saved that girl, you shouldn’t be sorry about that.”

            The frown deepened across Wes’ brows.  That girl, there was something about the girl.  And the sound of her tears that had done terrible things to him. 

            “Come on,” Sean locked his bike and looked at the peaceful little café in front of him again.  “Let’s go find the others.”

            Nodding, Wes took only two steps toward the door before it opened with a bang and pretty girl stepped across the threshold.  Her eyes raked them from head to toe, narrowing suspiciously.  “Don’t get comfortable.  You’re expected at the inn…. like now.”

            Sean frowned, his body tensing visibly.  “What are you…”

            “Emily,” someone behind the girl hissed before she was shoved out of the way.  Another girl, clearly a sister given their similar features, “I’m Nicie.  I’ll take you guys to the inn.”

            “What inn?” Wes asked, his hand tight on his keys.  They were strangers in this strange town, he couldn’t afford to be lax in his precautions. 

            “Sweet Apple Inn,” Nicie answered walking toward the car neatly parked at the side of the cottage.  She stopped when she realized they hadn’t moved, shifting only enough to keep an eye on both sisters.  Tilting her head, she frowned, “You were looking for Calvin and Chun, right?”

            Wes and Sean both picked up their helmet and got back on their bikes without a word.

            The little putt-putt car Nicie drove across the sleepy little resort town stopped at the gates of a plantation styled inn near the edge of the village.  It was isolated and probably difficult to find for those unfamiliar with the winding hilly roads.  Architecturally it was a master piece of construction, the fading rays of the afternoon sun throwing shades of orange and gold across it majestic façade; beautifully designed to be impressive but homey…  and was currently surrounded by a pride of cougars that didn’t look particularly welcoming. 

            Nicie leaned out the window of her car and spoke rapidly at one of the cougars, gesturing wildly around her like she was telling a story.  Wes and Sean both waited tensely on their vehicles, ready to escape at first sign of trouble.   The cougars moved around the car restlessly, their sleek bodies moving slow and watching the pair of wolf-shifters with suspicion.  But after what seemed like an eternity, the big cats backed off and Nicie was waving at them from her window, urging them to follow.

            Both Wes and Sean gasped silently as they felt a sudden pressure cuff them across the chest the minute they were through the gates and they traded quick silent glances of concern.  The long path to the front door was unpaved to keep the feel of rustic feel of the building and the motorcycle protested as they made their way up the driveway, giving them both time to adjust to the physical discomfort.   When Nicie’s car parked, they did the same directly behind her, carefully to always keep one eye on the door and one eye on the cougars pacing restlessly around the front gate. 

            “What the hell is this place?”

            “Sweet Apple Inn,” Nicie answered, pointing to the discreet faded sign just to the right of the antique door. 

            Sean frowned at her, “No, I meant…”

            “Never mind,” Wes interrupted.  He sniffed the air and found it… lacking.  His whole body went tense with fear as everything suddenly felt wrong.  “Where’s Calvin and the others?” 

            Nicie smiled vaguely and tilted her head towards the door.  “This way, they’re expecting you,” before leading the way.

            When Sean hesitated, Wes gave him a quick look and held up a hand.  “I go first,” he told him.  “Three steps behind me, at all times.”  It was a tiny window of opportunity but it might mean they won’t both be caught in a trap if this was one.

            Looking to argue a moment then changed his mind,   Sean nodded and ped his jacket with one hand and stowed his helmet with the other, wanting more mobility if they end in a fight.  They were getting out of there if anything was even remotely off.

            The foyer was awash with faded warm colors, meant to convey a sense of home and safety.  Nicie was quietly talking to another girl, a girl that had bright eyes that saw too much of the world.  She gave them a smile that was pure anticipation.  “Wait here,” she gestures and stepped through an open doorway.  “They’re here,” she said to someone on the other side. 
            “Who’s in there?” Sean asked Nicie, who was straining to look inside.

            “Big wigs,” Nicie answered in a theatrical whisper.  “Be on your best behavior,” she advised with nod.

            “Show them in,” was the answering voice from within.  A voice that was oddly familiar. 

            An arm appeared around the doorframe, waving them in.

            “Better get in there,” Nicie said with a frown, conflicted.

            Wes threw a quick warning look at Sean, reminding him of their initial plan – 3 steps behind – before entering the room.  Two men wearing identical frowns greeted him with narrowing suspicious eyes.  The girl from the foyer smirked and tilted her head toward across the room.  And another stood, turning to face him, and left him shocked.  "Oh my god…”

            Sean was through the doorway in the next second, his eyes narrowing in on the source with the same disbelief.  “Ella?”

            “Wes, Sean,” Ella nodded her greeting with serenity, holding out both hands palm up to them in welcome.

            “Oh my god, it is you,” Wes made to cross the room to her before his steps faltered at seeing the faces behind her, grinding to a halt.  Four stunned eyes stared back at him in equal disbelief.  “What the hell….”

            Ella nodded and stepped towards him.  She caught his attention with a hand at his elbow, forcing him to face her again.  “I take it you’ve meet,” tilting her head toward the girl, who scrambled to her feet unsteadily.

            Fei’s eyes reflected every conflicted emotion she was tackling: fear, shock, hope… relief. 

            Wes’ face revealed nothing of the sudden chill he felt confronted with the girl in the woods again.  He wasn’t sure what he was feeling other than that strange compulsion to protect.  His whole body had gone into attack mode in the woods, hearing her screams and watching her being chased down like prey.  Some primal instinct that taken over, an instinct he hadn’t fought but questioned now. 

            Stepping between the two, Ella pulled his attention again, “You’ve met, yes?”

            Torn between alarm and concern, Wes nodded with some reluctance.

            “Where?”

            “Woods,” he admitted uncertainly, seeing the sharp intensity in Ella’s eyes.  She was trying to tell him something he didn’t understand; something deadly important.  “About an hour ago.”

            “And you saved her?” Ella asked, glancing briefly at Fei; she stared back wide-eyed and petrified.

            “I helped her out,” Wes corrected carefully, glancing at the girl again then at the three stoic faces on the couch.  None of them offered him a clue as to what’s going on but it felt like something vital was happening.

            “You saved her,” Ella stated plainly, squeezing him at the elbow.

            Sean’s eye swung between the occupants of the room, reading the shuttered looks carefully, before he answered for his friend.  “Yes he did.”

            Ella’s eyes switched over to the girl, “He saved you?”

            Nodding her head hard, Fei answered with a firm, “Yes.”

            “You saved her,” she repeated in a way that urged him to utter the words. 

            It felt strange and there was such a tension that he didn’t know what else to do but allow her to compel him to say it: “I saved her.”          

            Nodding in satisfaction, Ella glanced quickly at her brother a moment…

            “Ella…” Kai warned between clinched teeth.

            But Ella wasn’t listening to him, she had already turned back to address Wes.  “As protector of Holy Ground of the Five River Clans, I offer you sanctuary for saving one of our own.”  The look of shock and disbelief on Wes’s face only rivaled Ella’s extremely smug one as she turned to face her brother, who was growling under his breath as he stalked toward the door, knocking into Wes with one shoulder.  “Kai…” Ella inquired softly.

            “Called the Sanctuary Tribunal,” Kai barked at Nick as he left the room with stomping feet.  “Tell them we’re meeting tonight.”

            Fighting off the smirk, Nick nodded his appreciation as he passed her.  “Well played, Ella; well played.”

            “He’s going to make me pay for that later,” Ella replied with a resigned look.

            “No doubt,” he gave her a shrug of apathy. 

            “Hey Nick,” she stopped him before he left, “Find Nicie before you go, tell her I need to see her.”

            Every muscle tensed on Nick’s body.  “Is she in trouble?”    

            “You know I can’t talk to you about that.”

            “Is she?” he asked again.  When she merely frowned at him, Nick lowered his guard and confessed as an old friend of the family, “You know how I feel about her.”

            “Everyone knows how you feel about her,” Ella reprimanded softly and not without sympathy. 

            “If she’s in danger…”

            “This isn’t how it works,” Ella reminded him gently.  “I need to speak with her.”

            That didn’t help.  “But if she was in imminent peril…”

            “I’d make every effort to protect her.” 

            Nick stared at her, trying to read her ever calm face and finally nodded his acceptance.  “I’ll make sure she comes to see you before she leaves.”

            “Take her back to the café after,” she added softly, “and do it yourself; don’t hand it off or let her talk you out of it.”

            Again he tried to decipher what she wasn’t saying but found nothing in her steady gaze to help.  Nick found her perfect poker face as frustrating now as he did when she was a child.  With a sigh, he removed himself from the room to drive himself crazy over thinking the seer’s words and carried on as he always did. 

            Ella sighed and turned back to the current situation, which was dealing with the 2 newcomers that were now regarding her with eyes that were only just seeing her for the first time.  To her, they looked like shadows of their former vibrant selves.  Face gray with exhaustion, eyes dulled by uncertainty, body ravaged by disregard; they were a sight for sore eyes.  “You two look like hell.”

            Sean gave her a brief smile then thought better of it and stepped forward, opening his arms to her.  He didn’t know it, but his easy acceptance of her gave Ella relief and Wes hope that it wasn’t too late to save his friend.  “It’s so good to see you.”

            Hugging him back as tightly as he held her, “You too,” then stepped up to her tiptoe and pressed her lips gently to his cheek before whispering, “Don’t worry, I’ll find a way to protect you.”

            He gave her a gently look of pure gratitude, “It’s enough that Wes is safe.”

            Wes shook his head, “I still haven’t figured out what just happened but I do know that I’m not staying if Sean can’t stay.”

            “You have to stay!” Fei blurted out unexpectedly then looked stricken as all faces in the room turned to her.  “I mean…. I…” her eyes went even wider on her face, a feat no one thought possible.  “Ella… Ella worked so hard to get you sanctuary and… and that’s not an easy thing.” 

            Raising an amused brow at her, Ella fought down a smile.  “Actually, you did most of the work on this one.”

            “Did you know Fei was going to get attacked?” Sam asked quietly from his corner of the couch, his dark sober eyes glue to the seer’s face.  She turned to regard him with a blank look. 

            Matthew’s brows furrowed with concern, “Why didn’t you say anything?”

            “Why did it take so long for you to bring her to me?” Ella replied evenly.

            All three boys blanched at the implied: had they not delayed their orders to report in and bring Fei to sanctuary , she would have never been in danger. 

            “It was my fault,” Fei replied quickly, going to her brothers’ defense, “I wasn’t ready to...”

            “It was our fault,” Wayne interrupted her, pulling Fei firmly back and behind him – she was to be protected at all costs.  One does not cross the seer, ever; and they had practically just accused her of something monstrous.  “It won’t happen again.”   

            “See that it doesn’t,” Ella answered with a pointed look then shrugged and smiled.  “But seeing as it didn’t exactly work out badly for everyone involved, I think we can let this go without incident, don’t you think, Fei?”

            The girl was staring at Wes like he was something otherworldly and blinked when addressed, taking a moment to reprocess the question.  “Um… yes.” 

            Ella fought down a laugh and was about to make a comment when Calvin came flying through the door and threw himself at Sean.  “Oh my god, you’re here!”  and hugged his friend so hard that Sean grunted in pain before returning the embrace with equal enthusiasm. 

            “WES!  SEAN!” Pets shrieked at the top of her lungs as she flew through the doors and ran into Wes’ open arms.  Her jubilant laugher went a long way in relaxing the tense room and easing the uncertainty in everyone’s minds.  Pure unadulterated joy was in short supply and they take every opportunity to embrace it when it came. 

            Burying his face into Pet’s shampoo scented hair, Wes felt his whole body relax and the weight on his heart lift.  This was the homecoming he had been hoping desperately for; to finally be with family again.  “God, it’s so good to see you.”

            “Why didn’t you tell us you were so close?” Calvin demanded, switching partners with Pets, holding Wes for a good long moment before finally studying his tired face.  “You guys must have flown here,” which said a lot about their desperation.  Calvin knew better than the others how treacherous the path between here and North Thumberland were.

            “We took some shortcuts,” Sean admitted with a guarded look then suddenly grinned as Chun stepped through the doorway.  “But we made it,” he said quietly to his friend.

            Chun looked at the two with gentle smile and folded them into a hug that Calvin and Pets rushed in to join, their solidarity tugging gently at the others in the room that were watching such pure relief and love wash over the little group that were finally together again, still broken but strong. 

            “Pets,” Ella said quietly, “Why don’t you show Wes and Sean to their rooms on the 3rd floor.  I’ll send someone to give them the run down in a little while.”

            Pets nodded and tugged on their arms, eager to get some alone time to catch up.

            Fei took a tiny step when Wes moved toward the door then stopped, startled when he turned back and looked at her a long moment, uncertainty in his eyes, before he forced himself to leave with the others.  Looking torn, Fei gave into instinct and stepped around the coffee table to follow before Ella stopped her in the doorway. 

            Ella shook her head slowly at her and waited a beat.  “There will be time later to talk to him.  But don’t wait much longer,” she warned with a sober look before glancing at the three behind her.  “Say your goodbyes now,  the rest of you need to get back to the village and....”  she frowned a second then looked pointedly at Sam.  “Except you.”  She stared at him then shrugged.  “Go talk to Nick,” then left the room. 

            Matt looked around the room, speaking for the first time.  “She’s scary.”

            Wayne agreed with a nod, “But I actually feel better about leaving Fei here because she’s so scary.”  He turned to look at his little sister and gave her shoulders a quick squeeze before hugging her tight enough to hurt.  “You have no idea how scared I was for you today.  If it hadn’t been for that Wes guy…”

            The tears came and she couldn’t do a damn thing to stop it.  The threat had passed and the relief came with a kind of release that left her weak to her emotions. She held on and silently wept into Wayne’s shoulder, knowing that her time with her brothers have come to an end now and even though she was in safe hands, she was now alone again... well, not quite.   

            “It’s okay,” Matthew patted her arm gently, always lost when it came to her tears.  “You’re safe now.”

            “I’m not sure if any of us are really safe or even in control,” Sam speculated quietly as he held out a hand to Fei, holding hers for a moment trying to absorb her pain.  “But we’re going to be here, no matter what.”

            “No you won’t,” Fei gave his hand one last squeeze then let go, physically separating herself from her brothers.  She felt cold, alone, but determined.  “It’s time for you to go,” with a finality she didn’t feel.

            “It’ll only be a little while,” Matt assured her, “Once you have the answer you need…”

            “I have my answer,” Fei replied calmly, wiping her tears. 

            “About whether or not your dreams are Mating Dreams?” Wayne asked, confused.  “Why didn’t you tell us that so we…”

            “You’ve met him?” Matt asked incredulously.  “Were you just lying to us then?”

            “No,” Sam concluded with a careful nod, “She hadn’t but she has now.  Haven’t you?”

            Fei didn’t deny it; but she also wasn’t ready to discuss it, not even with them.  Her instinct told her that this was something that was hers alone… and really it was. It’s not every day that you meet your mate and have him ride to your rescue like a knight in furry armor.   Now all she had to do was tell him… that he’s about to spend the rest of his life with her.  “How does one even start that conversation?”

            “You still with us?” Matt asked, waving a hand across her eyes. 

            She sighed, deep, tired, heartfelt.  “You better go now before you get in trouble with the Betas.”

            “You’re going to be okay,” Wayne reassured her, giving her arm one last squeeze.  “We’re just a phone call away if you need anything.”

            “You call,” Matt added, “and we’ll come running on all 4’s… as the day we were born.” 

            Offering up a reluctant laugh, Fei nodded and turned to Sam.  “You alright?”

            “Are you?” Sam asked, his quiet countenance disturbed by the sudden anxiety in his eyes.  It was the first time he was letting himself realize that their lives would never be the same again. 

            Fei couldn’t help the bitterness in her voice, “I don’t really have a choice, do I?  You can’t fight the Moon.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Nick unerringly found Nicie in the basement laundry room sorting through the three day pile of clothes that had been rotating amongst the shifters.  Even without his extra senses, he always managed to find her no matter where she was.  “Nicie, are you alright?”

            Taking a breath, Bernice steeled herself before turning to meet him.  Nick was one of a dozen people that’s watched her grow up under her sister’s shadow and have actually noticed her as an individual and separate person.  She usually welcomed his company, had looked forward to it in the past, but…  “I’m fine.”

            His smile, the one that was reserved only for her, held warmth and fondness, showing a side of him that was seldom seen by anyone else.  But now it was shaded with concern, “I haven’t seen you in a while.”

            “You’ve been busy,” she replied, trying for casual, “And I’ve been here.”

            Nick frowned, watching her face.  She was avoiding his eyes.  “You never explained why you suddenly came to Sanctuary for such an extended stay.”  He had anxiously awaited word on her.  “There was speculation that you came to confirm your dreams like the others,” and had both anticipated and dreaded the answer that may have come.  But the days passed, weeks went by, and Nicie never came home.  “Is everything okay?”

            “Everything is fine,” she answered automatically and then winced at how it sounded.  She was so use to lying now that that it came so naturally and yet so stunted.  “I’m sorry, it’s been stressful lately.”

            “Anything I can help with?”  Nick offered, because he always offers. 

            “No,” she turned and offered him a smile that was sincere.  It wasn’t his fault she was a mess; well, not exactly.  “I’m sorry.  I better get back to the café; my sister is there all on her own right now.”  She dumped the rest of the sorted pile and moved around him to leave, suddenly feeling not quite so safe in such an enclosed space with a man she’s known all her life. 

            “Wait...” he reached out and grabbed her arm, only slightly hurt when she immediately pulled away, her eyes reflecting her fear for a moment before she shuttered them again.  “Ella said she needs to see you before you leave.”

            “Ella did?” she looked confused, a little startled.  “Not Emma?”

            He confirmed it with a nod, watching her eyes flicker with emotion for a moment.  “You know you can come to me if you’re in trouble, right?”

            Nicie looked at him, torn between gratitude and something else.  There was so much happening and so much she wasn’t saying that she wasn’t sure how she was suppose to react to anything anymore.  Everything was so confusing and she was pretty certain she caused most of her own problems now.  “I know.  Thank you,” because he genuinely mean her well.  “I… I know that I’m running away from things but I just… I need more time.”

            “From what?” he asked quietly, letting her babble. 

            “From… from just… from just being this,” she made a gesture that could be about anything, her exasperation almost a physical wall.  “From being part of the pack.  From being a shifter and not a shifter all at the same time.  From being… me.”

            “There’s nothing wrong with being you,” Nick said quietly.  “I like the you that you are now.”

            And that effectively took the wind out of her sails.  He was so sweet and so nice and…. And….  “Nick, I need time to…”

            “NICK?  YOU HERE?” someone upstairs called out.  “WE GOTTA GO!”

            “I’ll be right there,” Nick called back calmly without taking his eyes from Nicie.  For a long unbearable moment, neither of them spoke but word hung in the hair like stars in the sky; words neither side were sure should or need to be said.  “Call me if you need me.  I will be here.” 

            “I know.”  And that’s part of the problem.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            “Tell me everything!” Pets beseeched as she shoved Sean into Wes’ room.

            “How about giving them some time to rest?” Calvin asked with an amused grin as he followed.

            “Or just to take a breath,” Chun added shaking his head at his sister.  “Give them a moment to get themselves situated.”  Now that they were here, there was some breathing room for them. 

            “Oh come on,” Pets said throwing herself onto the bed.  She hadn’t felt so alive in forever.  “We’ve been apart for like weeks now.  I think I’m allowed to be at least somewhat curious as to what…”       

            “Somewhat?” Calvin gave her a grin that a pure charm.  “The Energizer bunny has less enthusiasm than you at the moment.”

            Sean looked at her with assessing eyes.  “Though seriously Pets, safety agrees with you.  You look great, glowing even.”

            Pets waved it off carelessly and patted the seat next to her.  “Tell me about everything!  How the hell did you get here so fast?”

            “Before that,” Wes said quietly, “Tell us about Ella.  And what the hell is going on around here?”

            “Yeah,” Sean replied tiredly as he let Pets dragged him to sit by her.  “And what is this place?  Why do I feel like there’s a little gnome sitting on my chest?”

            Trading quick telling looks, Calvin and Chun sighed and sat down.  “It’s kind of a long and complicated story.”

            “It’s okay,” Wes replied calmly, “Since I apparently have sanctuary, I have all the time in the world.” 

            “How did you do that?” Pets wanted to know.  “Like seriously; that’s not exactly an easy thing to get around here.  We’ve been trying to weeks to get Calvin sanctuary and so far, nothing.  If it wasn’t for Ella extending her protection and influence, Cal could be in serious trouble.  And you kind of just waltzed in and bam!” snapping her finger in the air, “You got it like it was nothing.”

            Wes frowned and glanced briefly at the door.  “There was a girl in the woods and…” he couldn’t forget the sheer terror on her face,  “And I think I might have saved her from something.”

            Sean nodded, “Ella said Wes was getting sanctuary because he saved one of their own.  Does that mean Ella has a pack?”  He turned and looked at Chun; they all knew how he felt about her.  “She’s a shifter?”

            “Oh she’s a lot more than that,” Pets said with a grave tone.  “You’re not going to believe what we found when we got here…”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            “You wanted to see me?”

            Ella’s hand paused in the bag of flours she had been scooping from.  The repetitive, familiar motion was doing a world of good in calming her troubled mind.  “Yes, come in, Nicie.”

            Shuffling forward with obvious reluctance, Nicie made it all the way to the oven when she glanced over at the rolls of baked goods across the countertops.  They weren’t just the everyday wares that they sold to the resorts, they were food for the army of shifters outside her door.  The amount of effort Ella spent to keep the place running and feed all those that she didn’t want around amazed her.  She could have easily been a pampered princess, waited on hand and foot, but Ella made her own way in the world, carved a position of respect for herself. 

            “I’m sure you can guess what I wanted to see you about,” Ella said quietly as she moved to the next station, her hands continuously moving, reaching, creating things that were tangible and wanted – unlike her gift. 

            “I…”

            “Emma let you hide here instead of confronting your issue and I was too distracted to care much about it at the time,” Ella explained, “That was my mistake.”

            Nicie flinched.  “Ella…”

            “Your mistake was thinking you can fight the Moon and that I would allow you to continue hiding indefinitely.”  

            There was a long silence with only Ella’s hand mixing the ingredients to break the tension.  “I know that I can’t fight the Moon;” she said quietly, “But I’m not ready to face him yet.”

            “You’re not ready to face him as a person?  Or as a mate?”

            “Is there a difference?”

            “Of course there is,” she replied quiet calmly.  “On the one hand, he’s a nice guy, a friend even.  On the other hand, being a mate means you’re attached to him for the rest of your existence – it can be overwhelming and understandably intimidating.  This is a marriage of souls; there is no such thing as a divorce when it comes to a True Mate.”  It was literally ‘until death do you part.’

            She winced at the term.  It just sounded so… epic.  It would be so easy to romanticize it.  “I’m scared.”

            “You should be,” Ella stated rather simply.  “You’d be an idiot if you weren’t; even if you’re 100% certain of his identity.  More than a few girls have died from haste, wishful thinking and dirty wet dreams.” 

            Blushing from the roots of her hair to her toes, Nicie mumbled something in denial about the dreams part of it but nodded in agreement.  She’s heard the stories enough, warning tales of meeting the wrong “mate” in the woods.  But those were tales about girls that were too you, too sure, too in love, too excited to be complete – and didn’t have 2 seers making sure they weren’t making a mistake.  She’s had 6 months to dream, wait, fear, confirm.  “I’m not ready to be a… to be a…”

            “Mate?”

            “Shifter.”  There.  She said it.  She was terrified of what she might become. 

            Ella turned, her eyes on Nicie for the first time.  The surprise was there in her gaze, as if she’s never even considered it.  It had always been assumed that all girls look forward to the day their full potential could be unleashed; it never occurred to Ella to be afraid of it.  Her mother had always encouraged and urged her to embrace her gifts, all of them.  “Nicie…”

            “I know it’s suppose to be natural and that we are born to become a wolf or bear or cougar or something.  But I’ve seen what it does to people and they lose themselves to it and become something so terrible and so…”

            “Is that what you’re afraid off?  Losing yourself to your animal?”

            “Shouldn’t I be?”  she asked, her eyes wide with fear.  “What if I hurt someone?” she whispered the question, like it had been one that’s rattled around in her head for too long.  “What if I have to be put down?”

            Internally wincing, Ella suddenly wished that Emma was here – her sister was so much better at this, plus Bernice was her friend.  “You’re not going to lose control,” Ella assured her softly, wiping her hands as she approached.  “You’re not because you’re too afraid.  And because you are a good person,” she enfolded the girl in her arms.  “Your instincts are good and they are pure.  You’re not going to lose yourself because you don’t want to.  The one that go rabid are the ones that wants to go feral.  It takes a lot to fully lose your human side; even on a full moon.”

            Icy fingers danced along Nicie’s back as she whispered her fears, “Cola was a good person and they had to put him down.”  And she had to watch.

            Forcing herself to relive the memory with bitterness, Ella nodded.  “Cola was a good person.  And he was never meant for the front lines.”  Cola was one of those few that Ella knew should have been kept back as an Omega, too emotionally fragile to see the bloodshed of war.  But he had been determined to step into the fray with his friends and had forced his human side to shut down in order to carry out the duties of a Beta when he was barely a Gamma.  And in the heat of battle with the taste of blood, Cola has lost himself to the animal instincts that had taken over to survive, an instinct that thrived in shifter war but not in their human society.  It had been a hard decision, one that she and Emma had contributed to when they couldn’t see him out of the darkness, one that hadn’t been made lightly by any of that parties involved. Was there regrets?  Yes.  But Ella knew it had been the right decision – their gentle sweet Cola wasn’t going to come back from it. 

            “What if it happens to me?” Nicie asked, fighting back the tears of fear.  “What if he has to put me down?”

            “It won’t,” she promised because she knew even if history didn’t show it.  Female shifters don’t go feral, they were too grounded by their mates to ever cross that line.  “He would never allow it to happen.”

            “He put Cola down,” she reminded Ella.

            She found some strange amusement in Nicie’s inability to say his name, like naming him would make it more true, “He didn’t have a choice.” 

            And Nicie had to acknowledge that.  Cola’s last act had been to attack the very members of his pack he had been trying to protect.  The Betas had no choice but to put him down with prejudice. 

            “Mated or not, his first instinct has always been to protect you,” Ella reminded her quietly, “So let him.”

            Nicie swallowed hard, her hand still shaking with fear.  “I don’t really have a choice, do I?  The dreams are getting worse.”  And the longer she was off Holy Ground, the more intense the dreams have become.

            “I know,” Ella had seen it and definitely wanted to prevent what might comes next.  There’s going to be a lot more loss in their pack very soon.  The least she could do was prevent this one. 

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            «The giddy sensation of escape lasted about 30 seconds before the sound of rapidly approaching feet reached her.  Of course she wasn’t going to be able to run fast enough to get away but she was definitely going to try.  Stifling a giggle of stupid excitement, she poured on the speed hoping to stretch out the chase just a little longer. 

            In all consideration, he did try to lessen her fall by picking the most opportune time to tackle her.  But the bed of mossy greens that her face met with had about as much cushioning as a pillow full of pebbles.  But she’s had worse injuries than this.  She didn’t even make a sound as she turned her bruised cheek to keep from suffocating under the weight of the great big wolf on her back.  “Get off!”and tried to shrug him off.  But it was like trying to roll a boulder uphill with only her finger. 

            The wolf had other ideas.  Pressing his muzzle against the crook of her neck, he sniffed gently to learn her scent.  And unlike a canine’s cold wet nose, his was warm with human breath.  Opening his jaw, he set his razor sharp teeth against the tender skin around the tendons exposed at her neck – an act of dominance and possession. 

            He was claiming her….»

            Startled, she jerked awake and sat there in stunned silence as the dream replayed itself in her mind.  When realization set in, she groaned and muttered, “Oh ….”

 

To be continued….

------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note:  Happy 2015!  Sorry for the long delay in updating; holidays, family, and other chaos has become my life.  Enjoy and drop me a note to let me know you’re still reading!