Chapter 9 – Plans

Shifting Lives

Chapter 9 – Plans

--------------------------------

                Jing met the incoming party at the backdoor with a pile of towels and her notched crossbow.  "Emma's in the front parlor," she informed Ella without being asked.  "Should I keep watch here for others?" as the boys covered themselves with stiff limbs.  Being forced back into their human form upon crossing Holy Ground lines had not been a pleasant experience.

                "No, come in," Kai ordered, tucking the scratchy, overly starched towel around his hips and trying not to give into the urge to shiver from the light rain that had begun to fall.  It was going to be hell to track the rest of the bastards now but there was no helping it.  "Lock it behind us."

                Ella said nothing as she pushed her way into the house, rushing toward the front.  "GuiGui!"

                "I'm in here," Emma answered at a shout before running into the back hallway and into her sister's arms.  "Are you alright?"

                "Are you?" Ella asked, squeezing her tight.  "What happened?"

                "Long story," Emma replied and pulled Ella into the front room, "Made some tea while we were waiting.  Sit down, I heard you took a hit to the head."

                "I'm fine."

                "Concussion," Kai  relayed sternly as his eyes narrowed on Emma.  "What happened to you?"

                Emma blinked those big innocent eyes.  "Nothing," then reconsidered it.  "It's just a scratch."

                Kai's no-nonsense eyes watched her a minute before they fell on Pets and barked, "What happened?"

                Caught like a deer in headlights, "Hyena," Pets answered in a hurry.  The burning intensity of Kai's gaze didn't need shifter power behind it to be intimidating.  Chun walked over and gently touched her arm, warning Kai with a single look that any attack on his sister would not be tolerated.

                "It's nothing," Emma insisted as she went to pour tea for Ella.

                "Then show it to me," Kai replied matter-of-factly.        

                "Are you serious?" Emma asked, incredulously.

                "If it's nothing, you shouldn't have a problem showing me a scratch, right?" Kai answered completely stoned-faced, "So show me."

                Since Emma had no intentions of doing that, she turned to Ella for help.

                Sighing, Ella turned to Kai and confessed.  "Hyenas took a chunk out of her, she was bleeding pretty bad but not enough to warrant a visit to the doctor.  Ming took care of the wound; he'd said something if he thought she needed more."

                Kai accepted it with a nod before turning back to Emma, "Was that really that hard?"

                "With you, sometimes," was the honest answer.  Emma shrugged as she poured tea.  "Want some?  You look chilled."

                "Yes please," Kai answered and sat next to Ella.  "But I still think the two of you should see the doc."

                "And what?" Ella replied calmly as she gently put pressure on her pounding head.  "Have him poke at me a few times, hand me two aspirins, and tell me to rest but be woken up every hour to make sure I don't have a brain bleed?  It's a concussion, Kai; not exactly my first one either.  I think I know the routine by now."

                "And there's not much he could do for me either that hasn't already been done," Emma added as she carefully balanced cups between her arm and side, passing them out as she circled the room.  "Wound's been cleansed and bandaged, twice now; it's not deep enough to require stitches so it's just a matter of time before it heals itself."

                "Let it go Kai," Xiu suggested with a sigh and shook his head at the offered tea but nodded his thanks to Jing for the microwave-warmed hand towels she had expressly brought for him.  "They're not leaving Holy Ground anyways.  It's too dangerous until we know more."

                Kai didn't look happy and it certainly showed in the way he glared at Xiu.  "Clean-up crew?"

                "Been called," Jie answered and thanked Emma with a nod.  "They should be there by now."

                "Can you tell them to throw out all the silverware in the main room?" Emma asked softly as she sat down by Ella's side.  "I don't think I can look at that set ever again; especially that bread knife."             

                "You defended yourself with the bread knife?" Calvin asked with a surprised rising of his brow.

                She shrugged as if it hadn't only just happened.  "It was sharp and serrated… and the closest thing on hand."

                "And where was your weapon?" Kai asked quietly.

                "I didn't bring…" the answer was automatic and without thought and cut off too late.

                Ella closed her eyes and sighed before trying to mediate the fallout.  "It's not a habit we keep in Sanctuary and she was well within…" she stopped, feeling the fury that radiated from Kai.  "Don't yell at her; she's had a rough day."

                "Rough day?" Kai asked with a chilly tone as he turned his frosty gaze on Emma, "Imagine my shock and surprise."  Emma visibly shrunk behind her sister.

                Annoyed, Calvin stepped in front of the girls a second before Chun made a move.  "Is this really the time for this?"  He wasn't particularly impressed by the ire of the new guy.  "Isn't securing a location for their safety a little higher on the priority list?"

                Ella mentally winced and stood up quickly, making herself dizzy in the effort.  Chun grabbed her arm when she swayed but she managed to move pass it quickly.  "With some additional precautions, Holy Ground is the safest place for us."

                "For now," Xiu amended but left the subject alone.  "I've got to get back to the others.”  He turned and looked at Kai.  “Secure Holy Ground until reinforcement comes.  I'll inform the Alphas."

                "I'll come with you," Jie said, hastily setting aside his teacup.

                Xiu shook his head.  "You'll stay here and help guard the girls."

                "You'll go with him," Ella countered in her no-nonsense voice as she marched across the room to the sideboard with careful determination.  Opening the massive wood cabinet, she carefully run a finger along the labels of the many jars and bottles that lined the shelves.  "With nothing more to guide us, we don't know what's out there and I don't like the idea of you running around without someone watching your back."  She pulled several bottles out, lining them on the ledge of the stacked cabinets.  Pulling a stone mortar out, she began pulverizing the mixture.  "Besides being Holy Ground, this place is my home and my sanctuary.  I know how to protect what's mine."

                "Though I loath to agree," Kai added quietly, "she's right.  Take Jie with you and go to the circle glens when you're done with the others.  The Alphas need to know what happened.  I left my men there for the Alpha's protection but it'd be better if you see him back to the village.  Bring the entirety of the Betas back here once you've secured the Alpha; this will be our new home base until we're told otherwise."

                "Take this with you for Ming."  Ella dumped the entire content of the mixture she had been preparing into a small leather pouch and cinched it tight.  "Use rainwater to make the paste and pour it into the wound; it'll help with the healing process and protect him from infections. Have him come see me when he can be moved.  I'll start a plaster for when he gets here."

                "You need to rest," Xiu advised quietly but took the pouch.

                "So do you," she reminded him, pressing gentle fingers to the half closed wound at his shoulder that was still oozing blood.  "Be careful, okay?"

                "You too," he replied quietly, his eyes dark with concern.  "You took a hit, your aim is going to be off – take it into account, okay?"

                Ella nodded but continued to stare at him a moment.

                "What?" he asked with a frown… then stopped.  "Ella?"

                "What's wrong?" Chun asked, setting aside his teacup.

                "Wait," Calvin grabbed Chun's arm and watched Ella go still, her eyes focused on nothing at all.  "She's seeing something."

                "And how exactly do you know that?" Kai asked, his voice sharp with accusation.

                "Because that's the same look Emma gets," Calvin replied distractedly as he watched Ella.

                "He knows," Emma answered the unspoken question when Kai turned to face her.  "Don't worry about him; Ella knows what she's doing."

                Unhappy and unable to do anything about it, Kai merely gritted his teeth and asked Emma, "Are you seeing this?"

                "Nope," Emma watched her sister with a curious eyes.  "But I wonder if…"

                Ella blinked and frowned, her eyes troubled and still focused on some far away sight only she could see.  "Tell the Alphas I need to see them and not to agree to a meeting.  I'll explain later.  Things are about to move very fast and very dangerously.  No one should be traveling alone, especially any of the Betas on all sides; tell them we need to go into lock down of the whole valley.  Make sure the other clans know."

                "What did you see?" Calvin asked quietly.

                Ella's looked at him from the corner of her eyes.  "Finally figured it out?"

                "You dropped enough clues," Calvin replied  with a sigh and a self deprecating smirk.  "Though I have to admit, I was a little slow on the uptake with this one."

                "What are you talking about?" Chun watched his friend with eyes that were troubled, as if he understood but didn't accept.

                "Remember those little Sunday school lessons about shifter history?  That particular chapter about seers?"

                Chun's brows furrowed and twitched with apprehension.

                "And the part about Sister Seers?" Calvin pressed, his troubled eyes on Emma.

                Pets's eyes darted between those with knowledge and those that refused to speak it.  She felt it, the pain and fear that permeated the air around her.  "Well I don't since I never went, so would someone please tell me what the hell is going on?!?"

                "You're very loud of someone that's so very ignorant," Kai muttered.

                "Enough Kai," Xiu scowled and closed his eyes a moment, trying to refocus himself.  "History lessons later; we've got priorities to see to."

                "Go," Ella gently urged him on his way, "Stay safe and tell Ming… thanks."

                "He'd be insulted," Jie informed her with a gentle shake of the head.  "Stay indoors and out of trouble; we'll be back."

                "Jing," Xiu said as he headed for the door.  "A word?"

                Grabbing her crossbow, she followed the two Betas to the back door and adverted her eyes as they handed her their towels.  "What's up?"

                "I hate to ask but could you do a perimeter sweep  and keep an eye on things?"  Xiu asked as Jie walked toward the woods first, giving him time to instruct Jing.

                "Don't trust Kai and those boys?" Jing asked, amused a hell.

                "Not that," Xiu shook his head.  "I know Kai would give his life.  And those guys… I have to trust Ella and Emma's judgment on them."

                "Then what's up?" resisting the temptation to peek.

                "Off Holy Ground, our shifter-selves are stronger.  We can't and don't carry weapons, we rely on our internal strength, which also means that our aim isn't as sure as someone that relies on a weapon to defend themselves on a daily basis."

                Jing nodded with comprehension, not at all surprised that he was so thorough.  "Meaning on Holy Ground, I'm the stronger warrior now because Kai and the others can't shift and fight.  I got it; don't worry.  I won't let anything happen to the girls."

                "Thanks, Jing; you're a good friend," Xiu said, patting her on the shoulder.  "I owe you one."

                She smirked and shook her head, watching as he stepped over the invisible border and disappeared under a flash for dark fur.  "Friend.  Great," she muttered and started her round.  "Twist the knife in a little harder why don't you…?"

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                Pets tugged gently on her brother's arm, pulling him aside.  "You okay?"

                "I'm fine," he replied, never taking his eyes off Ella.

                "Yeah, that was totally convincing," Pets rolled her eyes with a sigh.  "I know you're all gaga over Ella right now but can you tear your eyes from your beloved and look at your sister a minute?" When he finally turned to her, "Will you please tell me what's going on?"

                He shook his head, "Not sure.  There's still too many…"

                "We need to talk," Calvin interrupted with a grim look.  He pulled them further aside, accidentally catching Emma's eyes a second – she looked inexplicably disappointed.  For a moment, he hesitated, wanting to know the source this sudden turn.  But there are more important things at hand right now.  "If Ella and Emma really are Sister Seers, I can see why they're being hidden on Holy Ground."

                "What the hell are Sister Seers?" Pets asked, hoping not to be put off again.  "It'd help if I’m not constantly kept in the dark."

                "In the Book of the Gypsy Queen, seers are said to be gifted and tragic individuals.  Packs that possesses seers thrive under even the most difficult circumstances."

                "But seers are also a source of conflict," Chun added, his frowns furrowed with concern.  "They're often at the eye of storm, the thing that packs and clans go to war for."

                "Because everyone wants one?" Pets asked quietly.

                "Exactly," Calvin nodded, "Whole packs have been obliterated on account of one rumored seer."  He looked at Emma, her bright-eyed smile had long disappeared behind a solemn look of acceptance.  "And their gifts comes at a price to the seers themselves.  Many of them die young, a result of their fragile state.  They live in a different world than the rest of us; constantly inundated by thoughts and visions not of their own.  Not all of them can deal with it."

                "What are you saying?" Pets looked at him, confusion in her eyes.  "That they go crazy?"

                "A number of them do," Chun answered softly, his eyes on Ella.  "They most often become pawns or prizes in war games; or part of the collateral damage.  And some…  choose an alternative way out rather than become prisoners."

                Pets didn't say it; she didn't want to even imagine it.  "How do you live like that?"

                "I don't know," Calvin murmured quietly, "But I would guess that you do whatever it takes."  That explained a lot.

                “Whatever it takes,” Chun repeated quietly, his mind going to ugly places for a moment.  “Then why did she leave?  And why come back?”

                “That’s a question to be asked at another time,” Calvin warned, grabbing hold of his friend’s arm.  “Sanctuary doesn’t actually mean sanctuary for us; not the way you think.  We’re still strangers in a strange land; don’t be rash.”

                “I won’t,” he promised; he had much too much to lose.  “I’m just wondering what it means for her.”

                “Actually, I’m wondering if this sanctuary wasn’t built for her and Emma.”

                “What do you mean?”

                “Emma  and Bernice called this place not just a sanctuary but neutral grounds, that no clan holds rule here.  In fact, all five surrounding clans actively protect it – and consequently those that live within it.  It’d be to the advantage of all parties to keep and protect a pair of seers here; not  one clan can take advantage of them without the acknowledgement of the other.”

                “Shared benefits?” Pets mused.

                “Would be the diplomatic approach to things, don’t you think?”

                “You’re only half right,” Kai said, looking at the trio across the room.  “And half wrong.  Neutral grounds had been established well before Ella and Emma were born.  But keeping them here is to the benefit of all parties involved.”  He stood and winced, quickly grabbing the towel slung low on his hips.  Sighing, he looked at Ella.  “I don’t suppose I left any clothes here.”

                “They’re in my room,” Ella stood slowly, holding herself still for a moment.  “I’ll go get them.”

                “You’re going to bed,” Kai pronounced as he reached over to  steady her.  “Get some rest, we can talk later,” when she didn’t let go immediately, he impatiently picked up her.  “Emma, stay here, I’ll be back to talk to you once I’ve got some actual clothes on.”

                Making a face, Emma waved them off, “Yeah, yeah…”

                Kai frowned at her, glared at the trio, and left without another word.  His thoughts on the situation at hand clear on his face; he was far from thrilled with it.

                Emma watched the door a minute, her eyes reflecting his unhappiness but said not a word to the rest of the room.  Jing found her there when she returned, contemplating the wall.  “Kai took Ella back to her room?”

                “Yeah,” Emma answered with a nod, her eyes sliding over to her.  “Ella’s defenses are down, she’s getting hit pretty hard on all sides.”

                “Getting hit with what?” Pets asked, feeling no need to hold herself back.  Can’t find out anything if you don’t ask.

                “Visions, thoughts, the usual,” Emma replied as matter-of-fact.  “We get it more often when we’re not focused and when we’re unconscious.  Alcohol helps to slow it but not always.”

                “And it’s like that all the time?” Pets asked, horrified.

                “Yup.”  Emma smiled rather bitterly, so unlike herself.  “Sleep is not a luxury.”

                Chun closed his eyes a moment, trying to process this.  “But isn’t Holy Ground suppose to…”    

                “Suppose to… suppose to… suppose to….” Emma voice rose a notched.  “I’m so sick of hearing how Holy Ground is suppose to protect us  and stop the madness but all it does it isolate us from everyone else!”

                “Calm down,” Jing set her weapon aside and glared at the trio.  “It’s okay.”

                Taking a deep breath, Emma let it out slowly before going to the tea set again.  “Sorry, I’m just a little overwrought.”

                “You have every right to be; it’s been a hell of a day for you,” Calvin replied, coming over to stand by her side.  “I’m sorry we agitated you; it wasn’t our intentions.”

                “What exactly are your intentions?” Kai asked coming back into the room, pulling on a shirt over his head.

                “How’s Ella?” Jing asked.

                “As well as can be expected.  I gave her some wine and told her to lie down.”

                “Is that wise?  With her concussion and all…”

                “Benefits outweighed the risks.”  He informed her with a frown.  “Where have you been?”

                “Swept the perimeter, just in case.”

                “Xiu asked?”

                “Yup.”

                Kai nodded.  “Thank you.”

                “What for?” taking the teacup from Emma with a nod of thanks.  “I didn’t do it for you.”

                Unexpectedly, Kai smiled with a rather sympathetic look.  “Still in love with him, huh?”

                If looks could kill, Kai would be dead.  As it was, Jing shot him a glare that should have scorched his eyebrows.  The look of resentment she gave him said a great deal and she even managed to wrung a look of silent apology from him.

                Turning back to the issue at hand, Kai regarded the trio of strangers in the room.  “So… who are you and what are you doing here?”

                Emma stood , almost tripping over herself as she grabbed Pets’ arm and pulled her toward Kai.  Startled, Pets started to resist but stopped when Emma shot her a look of great prompt.  “This is Pets; the one Ella called the Sanctuary Tribunal for.”

                Whatever it was Kai was expecting was lost for a moment.  “Is she…”

                “Yes,” Emma nodded knowingly.

                “Oh…” he frowned and looked at Jing a moment then turned back to look at Pets with a critical eye before shaking his head.  “Whatever.”

                “What?” Pets asked of both Emma and Kai, confusion bleeding into fear.  “Am I what?”

                “Don’t worry,” Emma petting her gently on the arm.  “We saw something that Ella thought would be worth enough to gain you sanctuary.  It’s nothing that’ll harm you.   Trust me.”

                The tension in Pets’  face didn’t ease.  “That’s very little comfort coming from a seer.”

                The smile slipped from Emma’s face and she let go for Pets’ arm.  For an uncomfortable moment, she said nothing as she pulled her thoughts together and returned to her seat, away from the others.

                Kai’s face darkened.  “Again, you’re very loud for a very ignorant girl.”

                Awkwardly, Pets tried to say something but couldn’t find the right words to even begin.

                “You didn’t answer my question,” Kai demanded, turning to topic back to where it had started.  “What are you actually doing here?  Why did you come here?”

                “Home,” Calvin said very simply.  “We were looking for a place to call home.  It just happened that we ended up here… where Ella is.”  He sighed and looked at Chun.  “I’m beginning to wonder if we’re not part of some kind of bigger scheme, all just chess pieces on a board being moved around in a pattern  we can’t see.”

                “Wouldn’t surprise me if you were,” Emma muttered, touching her side.  “Things don’t happen without a reason, even if sometimes we have to give them a nudge or two.  Ella was so determined to leave last year; defying the Alpha and all traditions.  But she came back so willingly but so full of….”

                “She saw something,” Kai replied reluctantly.  “That was the only reason she came back without a fuss.”

                “She told you?” Emma asked, surprised.  Her sister’s steadfast refusal to talk about her time away had been a  source of confusion for her – Ella shared everything with her.

                “Not in so many words but it wasn’t exactly hard to tell,” Kai said dryly.  “You should know by now that she doesn’t do anything without a damn good reason for it.”

                “Xiu said that Ella wasn’t going to back down no matter what and that it might just be easier to accept her decision and wait it out,” Jing muttered, searching her memory of that time.  “She must have said something to him.”

                “Of course she did,” Kai paced the room a little.  “She often does,” he added rather resentfully.

                “Your green-eyed monster is showing,” Jing informed him with a smile just a tad too sugary.  Kai answered with annoyed glare.  “Of course, you’re not the only one…” a touch of amusement dancing in her eyes again as she glanced sweetly at Chun.

                Instead of answering, Chun looked at Pets.  “Did you bring the bags?  I should probably change,” looking down at the towel he still wore.

                “Front hall,” Pets said, looking at the others.

                “Let’s put you in rooms two and three on the second floor,” Emma said quietly, watching Chun and Pets with interest.  “I’ll take you.”

                “I’ll take them,” Calvin offered, stopping Emma from getting up.  “You should rest; try not to move around too much until your wound heals a little more.”

                “Thanks,” Emma replied softly, easing back into her chair.

                “Why didn’t Ella give her sister some of that stuff she made for her wound?” Pets asked Calvin.

                “Because you need to be in shifter form for most shifter medicine to work,” Kai answered with a grime look.  “You really don’t know anything, do you?”  He shook his head.  “Useless…”

                “Kai,” Emma reprimanded with a frown.

                Calvin sighed.  Looks like situating into this place isn’t going to be easy.  “Let’s get you guys settled in,” gathering Pets and Chun.  “I have a feeling it’s going to be a really long night.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                “It’ll be sundown soon,” Rainie said quietly.  “I’ll re-gas before the last light.”

                “How far away are we?” Selina asked from her hidden position behind the driver’s seat.

                “We’ll reach the Yellow Peaks mountain range by dawn tomorrow.  My parents have supplies and a car there waiting.”

                “The guys will make their move tonight?” Kirsten asked, holding her sister’s hand under the wool blanket thrown over their heads.  They had decided that it would be better to stay hidden for as long as they can deal with it.  Best to play it cautious.

                “Wes and Sean should have already started,” Rainie answered, glancing at the clock on the dash.  “Jiro gave me most of the plans but he and the guys worked out the details themselves, so that I’d have deniability if we got caught.”

                “You must be exhausted, you’ve been driving since…”

                “I’m okay,” Rainie replied with a smile.  “I’ve got a lot of endurance; a side benefit from being a shifter.  I can go a lot longer.”

                “Once the sun sets, we can trade places,” Selina offered.  “In the dark, it’s harder to spot us.”

                “Not for shifters.”

                “Only if they’re in shifter mode and are close enough to make us out,” she pointed out.  “Kirsten and I have rested all day back here.  We can take over driving for awhile, let you rest.  We’ll need your wolf if they catch us.  You can be sure I’m not going back without a damn good fight.”

                “She’s right, and you know it,” Kirsten said, poking her head out a moment.  “We can move a lot further if we’ve got fresh eyes.  And if we were to change cars before dawn, we can cover move distance.”

                “Be reasonable Rainie,” Selina pleaded quietly.  “I’d hate for us to get into an accident because you feel like you have to do everything on your own.  Jiro would never forgive us if anything happened to you.”

                Mulling it over, “Okay, okay… I guess we can switch once we reach full darkness.”

                “That’s the spirit,” Kirsten said with a laugh, “Share and share alike.  It’s the only way we’re going to …”

                The ringing phone through the car’s internal system interrupted them.  “Quiet,” Rainie warned sharply before picking up.  “Hello?”

                “How far?” was the softly voiced question.

                “Mom,” Rainie breathed a sigh of relief.  “We’re still a few more hours away.”

                “Change in plans.”  There was tension in the older voice.  “There’s been a few people sniffing around here that’s got me concerned.  We’re moving the car.”

                Kirsten and Selina traded looks of anxiety.

                “Got it,” Rainie answered in the same no nonsense voice; now was not the time to panic or ask too many questions.  “Stay safe and let me know when you’ve secured another location.”

                “Keep coming north, we’ll see about finding another rendezvous point.”

                “Be careful.”

                “You too, child.”

                Rainie clicked off and rang another line without missing a beat.  “Jiro there?”

                “No,” Benji answered.  “He and Aaron took off just after noon.  We had a little unexpected challenge.”

                “Everyone okay?”

                “Yeah,” Benji answered.  “Change in plans that’s all.  George and David will be the last to leave at dawn tomorrow.  The rest of us should be heading out by midnight.  Best watch your tail.  We’ve got more than one unaccounted for member of the pack now.”

                “Got it,” Rainie’s voice was tense but didn’t waiver.  “Anyone heard from Chun yet?”

                “Few hours ago.  He was just outside of sanctuary.  He should have met up with Calvin by now.”

                “But no word?”

                “Nothing yet.”

                “That doesn’t sound right,” Selina interjected from the backseat.  “At least one of them should have called by now.  Something must have gone wrong.”

                “Let’s not make any blind assumptions here,” Wes piped in from Benji’s side.  He had joined Benji  and Sean in prepping for their move.  “Unless we hear otherwise, we’re not going to deviate from the plan.”

                “It’s too late to go back now anyways,” Sean muttered as he tossed the rest of his stuff into a box.  “We can only hope that they call soon.”

                “If something bad had happened, they’d be in touch.  If nothing else than to warn us,” Benji reasoned out though he traded quick concerned looks with Wes and Sean.  “At this point, we should assume that no news is good news.”  None of them wanted to panic the girls while they were already out in the open.

                “We can’t assume anything right now,” Kirsten said quietly.  “We can only move forward with our own plans.  Sean’s right, there’s no going back.”

                “We need to secure our own position first before we can help them,” Wes replied.  “Continue on as we’ve discussed.  We’ll meet you in a few days.”

                Rainie sighed.  “We may be delayed.”

                “What do you mean?”

                “My mother is moving our meeting location.  She thinks someone is watching her.”  There was silence on the other end.  “I don’t have to remind you guys to be extra careful from now on.”

                “Likewise,” Benji murmured.  “We’ll  reconnect once we head out.  Watch your backs.”

                “See you soon,” Kirsten said as Rainie clicked off.  “That wasn’t what I wanted to hear.”

                Selina shook her head.  “No kidding...”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                “What are Sister Seers?” Pets demanded, barging into Calvin’s room unannounced.  “And I want a real answer this time.”

                Calvin checked the corridors before shutting the door.  “You really need to watch what you say around here.  I’m pretty certain Ella would smack you up one street and down another if she hears you talking to her sister like that ever again.”

                Contrived but not put off, “I didn’t mean to, it just slipped out.”  She made a face, “Now tell me about Sister Seers.”

                Because he fully understood that she wasn’t going to let it go, “It’s said that once a generation or two, a pair of sisters would be granted the seer’s gift.  They are both feared and revered.  The elder of the two would bring prosperity and wealth but the younger would bring death and destruction.”  Calvin saw the look in Emma’s eyes the minute she realized they knew.  “The younger sisters of female seers often don’t make it pass infancy.  The fact that Emma is of her age is quite… a miracle really.”

                Pets sat down abruptly.  “They kill the younger sisters?”

                “Yes,” Calvin replied with a wince.

                “That’s barbaric!”

                “And yet it’s done on a regular basis if the Elder Scrolls are to be believed.”

                Getting up to pace the room, Pets frowned.  “So how did this Emma girl manage to escape that particularly gruesome fate?”

                “I would suspect it has a lot to do with Ella,” Calvin answered with a contemplative look.  “Their sisterly adoration is a two-way street – a strong enough bond that I don’t think Ella would tolerate anyone, and I do mean anyone, messing with Emma.  I don’t think self preservation would even enter into consideration.”

                That was more than food for thought.  Making a face, “So what about these guys that were all over Ella earlier?  Does my brother have some competition on the horizon?”

                “Don’t even make the suggestion,” Calvin warned sternly.  “Remember where you’re at and who’s keeping you safe here.  Plus it doesn’t matter who feels what.  We’re shifters; only the Moon can decide our fates – you of all people should know that.”  He gave her a pointed look.

                Stomping her foot, she continued to paced the room.  “Don’t remind me of things that I don’t want to think about.”

                “There’s no denying it, right?  You’re having Mating Dreams.”

                “Doesn’t mean I have to like it or accept it,” though she might be ready to admit it.

                “If you think simply denying it is going to make it go away, you’ve got a lot to learn.”

                “We’re on Holy Ground, right?  That should stop the dreams from…”

                “You heard Emma earlier; it hasn’t stopped her visions.  What makes you think that it’ll have any effect on your Mating Dreams?  As far as we know, Holy Ground seems to only have the unfortunate consequence of trapping our wolves.”

                Wrinkling her nose at his logic, “I think I’ll aim for the positive for a change.”

                Calvin smiled indulgently.  “I’ve always said you’re a bright soul,” then eyed her a little more critically.  “But now… you’re practically glowing.”  He observed her a moment, “Like you’re trying to attract someone’s attention.”

                “I am not!”  Pressing her fingers to her cheek, Pets told herself to calm down.

                Chuckling, “I didn’t say you were doing it on purpose.  Guess I never been in contact with anyone that’s having the Mating Dreams.”  The smile turned bittersweet.  “If I had known, maybe I could have warned Genie…”

                “Stop it!” Pets wanted to smack him, wake him up.  “You are not responsible for her actions.”  For the damage that witch had done to her friend, she’d curse her forever.  “Trust me, the difference between a regular wishful-thinking dream and a Mating Dream is so ridiculously huge there’s no way to have mistaken the two.”

                “You can tell because you’ve had both.  Maybe she didn’t know.”

                “She had plenty of people to talk to when it comes to this… unlike some of us,” with a pointed look.  “Stop making excuses for her bad judgment.”

                “I…”  It still hurt.  “I’m not.  I just think that life is too precious and that if there had been any way to prevent…”

                “Hind sight is 20/20,” Pets reminded him gently, feeling like she’d just kicked a defenseless puppy.  “And you’ve paid the price already.  Stop punishing yourself with these thoughts.”

                “Learn from the past or we’re doomed to repeat it,” Calvin quoted and changed shirts quickly.  “Come on, I want to check on Emma and secure the rest of the inn.  I’m sure that Jing girl had done it already but I’d feel better if I made sure.”

                Pets stared at him a moment.  “You’ve really become attached to this place, haven’ t you?”

                “Not so much the place as the people here,” he admitted.

                Pets frowned.  “What if… what if we don’t get to stay here? “

                “I’d be disappointed; Ella and Emma have been more than kind to me since I got there.  But I know where I belong.”

                “And where’s that?” Pets asked tentatively.

                “With my family,” he answered quietly but with undoubted conviction.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                He stood by the doorway, not quite entering the room, and watched her still form on the bed.

                “You know, standing in the dark watching someone sleep,“ Ella murmured from beneath the covers, “is borderline creepy.”

                “You didn’t use to mind,” Chun answered softly into the dim room.

                “I did; I just didn’t say anything about it,” she replied and slowly sat up.  She held her head with one hand and sighed, waiting for her world to right itself.  “You shouldn’t be here.”

                “I was just checking up on you.”

                “How did you even find my room?  It’s not like you could follow your nose here.”

                He leaned his head into the corridor, “Treads on the hall carpet.  Figured you and your sister would have the most trafficked areas.  Took a chance.”

                “Clever,” she looked at him, really looked at him for the first time since he reappeared in her life.  Their six months apart hadn’t done much to lessen the effect he had on her; nor ease the pain that had settled on her chest.  “He’ll kill you if he finds you in here,” not needing to elaborate.

                “He can try,” was the soft reply that was neither threatened or threatening.  “Would you be sad if he did?”

                She closed her eyes a moment and sighed.  “You don’t know what it’s like here.  And you have no idea what you’ve stepped into.”

                “I have a better idea of it now than I did six months ago when my girlfriend disappeared.”

                Unwilling and unable to apologize for it, “It was better that way.”

                “You could have told me.”

                “I couldn’t.”

                “Yes, you could.”

                “No, I couldn’t,” she said more forcefully then glared at him.  “You have no idea what it took to leave that night.”

                “Why don’t you tell me?” he replied very, very calmly.  He ware barely holding it together now, now that she was within reach.  “Of course, you failed to tell me a lot of things, didn’t you?”

                “You’re hardly one to throw stones; you weren’t exactly forthcoming either.”

                “With good reason, don’t you think?”

                “And how is my reasoning any different?” she countered.

                “You knew what I was… am.”

                “Yes.”

                “And you never once said a word.”

                “Why would I?” she asked with a chilly look.  “Especially since it meant I’d have to divulge how I knew.  You think, even if a hint of it got out, that I’d be able to leave that town alive?”

                “Is that what you saw?” he asked harshly.  “That I let it slip and you got caught in the crosshairs? Or is it that you had so little faith in me?”

                She flinched though it was subtle, just a mere twitch of her brow.  But he saw it; he’d been watching for even a hint of something… anything.  “It doesn’t matter what I saw.”

                “But you did see something,” he concluded.

                Her eyes were tired as she gazed at him.  “Does it matter?”

                “Yes.”

                It wasn’t difficult to see her weighing the options.  “Yes, I saw something.  And no, I’m not going to tell you what I saw.  But yes, it factored into my decision to come home.”

                Grinding his teeth until it hurt, Chun forced himself to take a few deep breaths first.  “You could have talked to me.  You could have made me understand.  We could have…”

                “What?” she asked quietly, with the kind of dignified strength that made him take notice in the first place.  “What do you think you could have done?  You think you can protect me?  You think you know how?  I’m not going to have you second guess my decisions when you have no one idea what it’s like to be me.”

                “I’m not trying to do that.”

                “Aren’t you?” she asked with indignation.  “Could have?  Really?  Hind sight and speculations are all well and good but you don’t see what I see.  I don’t need suppositions to know what could happen, I see it in vivid colors with every decision that I make.  And sometimes there’s not a damn thing I can do to divert the hands of fate.”  She winced and closed her eyes, the pounding pain behind it suddenly making it difficult to concentrate.  She was letting her emotions get the better of her.

                Physically restraining himself, Chun silently cursed his impatience.  She was hurt, and all he was doing was making it worse.  “I’m sorry.  You should rest.”

                “What do you want?” she asked with a tired sigh.  Everything from her head to her heart hurt.  “What do you want from me?”

                “I…” it ached something awful to see her so worn apart and know that he was part of it.  “I’m not sure anymore.”

                Though he didn’t know it, the answer was worse than anything he could have said.  Forcing back her unbearable heartache, “Nothing around here comes without a price,” she informed him softly.  “You and Pets are on borrowed time for now; Calvin too.  And there’s nothing more I can do for any of you now.”

                “Why did you help us?” he wanted to know.

                “I had my reasons,” she didn’t explain.

                The heavy tension-laced silence that hung between them now was a fair ways apart from the easy intimacy they had hard previously enjoyed.  And it was a stark difference they both felt keenly.

                “That last conversation we had…”

                “Yes?”

                “Did you mean it?  Any of it?” because he needed to know.

                Ella held her breath, reliving yet again that last phone call that’s haunted her for months since.  “I…” She could lie; she knew she could do it convincingly and should without hesitation.  But something stopped her… probably her heart.  “I meant it when I said it.”

                The tiny flicker of hope shined a little brighter.  “Has it changed since?”

                The easy answer is a yes or a no; but she didn’t get to have an easy answer.  “We’re Shifters; you should know better.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

                «She felt the moonlight against her face, the soft breeze carried pine to her nose, and the gently whisper of leaves rustling in the wind  The knife was sharp, gleaming in the limited light available to her. The scent of the woods lulled her calm.  “Now or never…” she whispered as she ran the blade across her arm, splitting the thin skin there.  Blood pooled at the wound, slowly trickling over the edge of her pale fingers as she leaned against the tree and waited, watching the slow trickling of blood gather, one droplet at a time

                They had foregone the ceremonial protocols; unnecessary and unwanted right now given the unrest.  Tonight, they return to the basic forms of bygone years, before they truly understood the how’s and why’s.  A scent of a true mate’s blood should be enough to draw the shifter to her.  If he truly was her True Mate…

                Refusing to question it any longer, she slipped the dagger back into its sheath and hung it on the low branch before reaching for the bandage she had brought.  She didn’t know how long she would be waiting and had no plans on bleeding out in the meantime.  She hoped she didn’t have long to wait, the night air was terrible for and she had forgotten to bring the scarf like she had been told to. 

                The crunch of leaves caught her attention and she paused, waiting to feel something… anything that might tell her that this was IT.  That moment that every shifter girl has been waiting for her whole life.  When she gets to become the animal she was born to unleash.

                Except she felt nothing.  Nothing special.  Nothing then the pain at her arm and the heavy moisture in the air of the coming fog that was slowly obscuring her view of the dense woods.  So either she had been horribly wrong about him being her mate… or that’s not him coming toward her with eyes like glowing embers in a dying fire. 

                In either case, running was the best and dumbest option she had.  So… she ran. And fell.  And screamed… »

                Jerking awake, not having realized she had fallen asleep, she gave herself a moment to not react at all.  It wasn’t that she didn’t know what the dream was about… only that it was the kind of dream that you didn’t really share with other people.  Especially if she wasn’t certain the dream had been hers – which she isn’t… at least not completely.

                “You okay, Emma?” Jing asked quietly, partially shielding her from the prying eyes across the room.  “Kai said not wake you when you dozed off.  But now I’m not sure it was such a good idea.”  She cleared and moved another inch to the right.  “You’re bleeding again.”

                Instinctively, Emma grabbed her side but her eyes didn’t shift away from the spot on the carpet she had been staring at.

                “You okay?” Jing asked again, more concerned now by her silence.  “Did you see something?”

                Looking up, Emma frowned and shook her head.  “For the first time, I don’t know.”

To be continued…

------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note:  Woohoo, finally got to post the new chapter.

Okay, I know that the dream sequences at the end of most chapters have been a little frustrating because I’ve been keeping them a mystery as to who is having which dreams.  And yes, there were multiple people having dreams… which is difficult to write and still maintain an air of suspense.  Sorry about that…. But since I’m starting to piece together all the parts now, I’ll be dropping more clues into them and will hopefully elevate some of the questions.  And on that note, hope people are still enjoying the story.

Leave me a note to let me know your thoughts.