Where's the Queen?

The Prince and The Peasant

Xiumin woke up a little sore, nothing to major, but when he walked into kitchen to see Luhan head down on the table, , it made his pain seem like a mosquito bite.

 

“You okay? You’re up early.” Xiumin walked over towards the fridge pulling out some food for breakfast.

 

“No.” he spoke flately. “My body feels as if it is doused in a thousand flames and the only way of escaping it is to cut of all my limbs. Sleep was not an option in this uncomfortable agony.” Luhan answered head still down.

 

Xiumin laughed. “No one told you to be so weak. If you’d exercise more this wouldn’t have happened.”

 

“I’m the prince. I am a spoiled brat. I know this. I don’t exercise for fun and do labor work like you. My lifestyle is based around learning etiquettes, learning how to sit properly and speak multiple languages, to be on everyone’s good side, not be there enemy and fight them!” Luhan at this moment moan again, even yelling strained his muscles.

 

“Calm down, calm down princess and eat some breakfast.” Xiumin set down two plates sliding one across the table towards the ranting Luhan, and set down two cups of coffee.

 

They ate in a comfortable silence, one of those silent moments that brought to people closer together. Luhan picked up his coffee, taking a sip from the hot liquid.

 

“You know….Your coffee is really good. I never took the time to actually taste it. It’s really delicious.” Luhan said smiling. “I remember my mother used to make coffee everyday in the morning. She’d never let me have any, said I was too young and already hyperactive.” Luhan’s eyes held a bit of nostalgia and a hint of sadness.

 

Xiumin saw it. His eyes have held those same emotions before. Quite often actually.  

 

“Where is the queen?” Xiumin hesitated to ask. Luhan’s face grew somber but he knew this questioned would be asked eventually. It always was.

 

“She was stabbed in a middle of a riot on her way to buy cake. That was the day I turned 10 years old.” He spoke so quietly but he did not cry. He was used to telling this story, it was practically rehearsed. Xiumin pondered what to say when he leaned forward, laying his chin on his folded arms.

 

“What was your mother like?” Luhan was surprised by the question. Normally his servants were too scared to touch on such a soft topic. Usually they would say sorry and quietly walk away, but not Xiumin.

 

“Well.” Luhan started. “She was tall with long, dark brown hair. I actually look like her more than my father which is quite obvious considering I’m far from manly looking.” He laughed.

 

“Anyways, she was quite caring and always ready to lay down the rules when I stepped too far out of line. Very independent woman. She took care of me before you, or any of my other servants came along, because she didn’t want me to be spoiled, which is ironic considering how much of a brat I am now.” Xiumin just sat and listened to every word.

 

“My mother didn’t want me having personal servants. She would say ‘no one is going to be raising and taking care of you but me’ and when she died my dad locked me away in the castle and hired a personal servant to watch over me. He became paranoid that I would one day leave and die too.”

 

“Is this why you go through so many servants? Because no one could ever replace your mother.” Xiumin asked shifting in his seat.

 

“Precisely. Each one tried to take her place, to take care of me. It wasn’t the same.” At this moment Luhan began to cry. Xiumin walked around the table, sitting next to him.

Xiumin had never really comforted anyone before, but there’s always a first for something.

He rubbed the younger’s back, letting him sob for a few minutes. Luhan wiped his tears and turned to Xiumin.

 

“Your turn. Where’s your mother?”  Xiumin looked down staring at nothing particular.

 

“Well, I don’t know. Last time I saw her was when I was about 12 before I ran away. I can tell you that she is the reason I love baking. She taught me everything I know about it, but she was quite naïve and too innocent for her own good.” Xiumin responded, his hands folded in his lap. “She was sweet, and could light up a room. Even when she was sad she kept a smile on her face.”

 

Luhan took in everything. He realized how little the older man talked about his family or about him in general. Luhan only knew from what he saw on the outside.

 

“You definitely didn’t get your traits from her with that scowl on your face.” Luhan joked trying to lighten the mood. Xiumin scowled at the ground.

 

“I take after my father so I’m told.”

 

“I’m sorry if I offended you.” Luhan apologized.

 

“No. I’m just tired. Let’s get the day started shall we?” Xiumin put on his best smile. He grabbed the plates and empty cups of coffee walking towards the sink.

 

I'm really sorry for this slow, boring chapter. I really have no excuse for this one. this one just did not turn out great. BUT it does develope the plot...slightly.