The Calm Before The Storm

Behind The Facade [Indefinite Hiatus]

Grey clouds covered the sky, dark enough to block off the sunlight but not threatening enough to call on the rain. It was a cool and peaceful day. The light breeze tickled Hae Ri’s hair as she and Chanyeol sat in the back garden practicing magic. The duo was making use of the little time they have before setting off to brush up on their combat skills. This was the first time they were embarking on a mission they had so little knowledge of. Their plan was to be natural and observe with their undercover identities. Anything could happen and they had to make sure they were strong enough to face it. Chanyeol was helping Hae Ri master some spells that may come in handy. He had always been the one that had stronger magical abilities.

Hae Ri felt herself losing focus as she stared at the tree in front of her.

“Just concentrate. You can do it,” Chanyeol said in his low voice.

She mumbled a spell under her breath and suddenly the branches of the tree shot towards the duo.

“Stay calm, don’t be too aggressive,” Chanyeol advised.

Immediately, the branches slowed down and came to a stop right in front their faces. Hae Ri let out the breath that she was holding and the branches slowly returned back to their original positions. She started to pant heavily, a sign of lethargy from their hour-long practice. Chanyeol shot her a grin and passed her some water and iron pills.

“Great job! Get some rest, gym session in 15 minutes,” he winked.

Chanyeol was indeed back to his happy self. Hae Ri had been secretly worried for the past few days, ever since Jong Hun announced the mission but seeing him being all well and all, it seemed like her worries were unneeded after all.

“But if he’s going home…he may be leaving NSA after this mission,” she thought.

She had been curious about many things but she refused to yield to her curiosity and ask Chanyeol about his past and what he will decide to do after the mission. She was afraid that she would break the inner peace he had managed to find. She will not question. That is for sure, at least until they accomplish the mission. This will be one of the most dangerous missions they have received and there will be no room for her to keep her head in the clouds. She has to stay focussed. She needs to be stronger.

“Let’s go kick some ,” she announced after rest time was over, planning to destroy a few dummies placed in the gymnasium for agents to practice boxing.

 


 

Chanyeol finished packing his backpack with essentials for the mission. He stood up and took a good look at his dorm room. Through an outsider’s eye, it may seem that there was nothing much to see. The room was small and bare apart from a photo of Chanyeol and Hae Ri on the day they graduated from the NSA academy sitting on the small table beside his bed. It was a requirement for all agents living in the dormitories to keep their rooms neat and simple. However, Chanyeol was not looking at anything in particular, he was relieving all the memories of the times he had spent in his room. The first time he showed Hae Ri a spell book he had stolen from the forbidden library. The time Hae Ri surprised him in the middle of the night with a cake to celebrate his 21st birthday. The times he spent sobbing silently in his bed because he had missed home. He was going home and there was no guarantee that he would return after the mission. Even so, he refused to clear out his room. He refused to acknowledge that this may be his last mission.

“I am Agent 105,” he stated.

This is who he is. This is who he wants to be and will be regardless of what happens. He took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. This was not the time for sentimentality and insecurities. This is an important mission and he needs to keep his head in the game. He needs to focus.

 


 

Hae Ri and Chanyeol walked into the Chief’s office in plain clothes, with their backpacks. The Chief had requested to see them before they set off.

“Good morning sir,” they said in unison.

Jong Hun stopped what he was doing and looked up at the two agents.

“Agent 104 and Agent 105, I hope the both of you understand that this mission is of utmost importance and I will emphasise once again that failing is not an option,” he instructed.

“Always remember that strength comes from within and no matter what happens, NSA is always behind you,” he added, albeit out of character.

“Yes sir,” the duo replied.

Before he dismissed them, Jong Hun walked towards his two best agents and gave them a hug. He patted Chanyeol on the back and he hugged Hae Ri a few seconds longer before pulling away, with a sad look. Hae Ri was a little taken aback by how her Appa looked but there was no time to linger any longer, they had to leave now.

After the two agents left, Jong Hun allowed a tear to slip out of his eye.

“Brown hair, warm eyes, big ears…Chanyeol who had been like a son to me…”

“Black hair, round eyes, small lips…Hae Ri, my beloved adopted daughter…”

 


Haha major foreshadowinggggg :O 

WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN NEXT?!