The Mission

Behind The Facade [Indefinite Hiatus]

The Chief unlocked his bottom drawer and took out a thick envelope. He passed the 2 agents confidential folders from the envelope and took a seat before speaking.

“Lamia Energy Corporation’s 2 major stockholders, the Byun and Lu family, I’ll need the both of you to keep tabs on them.”

Hae Ri looked down at the first information sheet and saw the photos of two young attractive men. The first photo, the son of the Byun family, who is in charge of the South-West operations of Lamia has a boyish charm and an endearing smile.

BYUN BAEKHYUN

The son of the Lu family, Lu Han, is in charge of the North-East operations and has large doe eyes and delicate features. Though both are only in their early twenties, they are already holding key positions in the corporation.

LU HAN

“We will need direct interaction to collect intelligence. The mission is targeted at the Regional Energy Conference that is held for 7 days in Seoul. This is a high profile mission because the targets are powerful people we cannot afford to offend. We will need the assistance of the Park family for undercover purposes. “

“Chanyeol…” this was the first time the Chief had called any one of them by their names in his office.

“It’s time to go home.”

Chanyeol stiffened noticeably. His usual alert gaze was replaced by a look of blankness. Hae Ri glanced at him from the corner of her eye, worried. She had no idea what the Chief was talking about and she felt horribly uneasy.

“Agent 104, you may return home for now. I would like to speak with Agent 105 privately,” the Chief stated.

Hae Ri was hesitant to leave and she turned around to see Chanyeol starting to tremble. Before she could protest, the Chief said coolly,

“It is an order.”

That was it. There was nothing she could do. Hae Ri bowed courteously towards the Chief and reached out to pat Chanyeol reassuringly on the shoulder before leaving. However, he did not feel her touch. He was already buried in his own thoughts.

 


 

Hae Ri paced back and forth anxiously in the living room of her home. She was confused by the Chief and Chanyeol and she was so worried that she could not sit still. Finally the front door opened.

“APPA!” She shouted.

Chief Na Jong Hun turned to her with weary eyes. She trotted up to him, arms folded and demanded,

“What the hell is going on?”

He was about to tell her to watch her language but after taking a glimpse at her cold eyes, he simply let out a sigh and motioned her to take a seat before taking a seat opposite her. He took a deep breath before he said,

“Chanyeol is not like you.”

Though it hurts, maybe somewhere deep inside her she had always known. Park Chanyeol, her childhood friend, had always been bright and cheerful the entire time she had known him. No matter how short a time, he had grown up with love and warmth. She had always known that someone with a similar background as her could never thaw the ice in her heart. Chanyeol was the only other person other than Jong Hun who could open her up, there was no way he is like her, a child abandoned by her real parents.

“He was sent to the NSA academy when he was 3 years old. Under certain circumstances his parents had to leave him here - “

“What nonsense reason is there for them to leave a vulnerable child here?!” She interrupted, the hurt she felt from being abandoned surfacing up.

“They begged me to take good care of him. They had their reasons…Just like your parents did, I’m sure of that,” he explained patiently.

“You don’t even know my parents…” she whispered.

Jong Hun swallowed the lump in his throat. She was right, he had no idea who her parents were but he sincerely believed that no one would bear to abandon their child if they could help it. He went over and sat beside her, placing his arm over her shoulder and tilting her head towards the crook of his neck. He started to rub comforting circles on the edge of her shoulder. It has been a long time since she was in such a mood. She had gotten over the hurt somewhat and had started to open her heart up but it was inevitable that she would be reminded of her own plight after finding out what happened to Chanyeol.

“How is he?” she croaked out, suppressing her tears.

“He has calmed down…He is alright, really,” Jong Hun explained.

“He just really misses his parents.”

 


 

After Hae Ri managed to control her emotions, she phoned Chanyeol.

“Hey Fire Boy…you alright?” she asked.

“I’m fine, don’t worry about me,” he replied.

Hae Ri was angered.

“How can you be fine?!” she demanded.

Chanyeol chuckled. His heart warmed from her concern.

“I’m fine, it’s just…” he explained, his thoughts floating back to the conversation with the Chief.

After Hae Ri left, there was a period of silence. Though he was the one who wanted to talk to Chanyeol, Jong Hun waited patiently for Chanyeol to voice his thoughts.

“W-when they left me here…they told me that there was something that I need to do here…a duty that I had to fulfil…” Chanyeol started.

His voice failed him and he could not continue for the next few minutes.

“T-they said that once I’ve done my duty…once I’ve become a good man…it will be the time I go home,” Chanyeol continued.

Jong Hun folded his hands together and looked Chanyeol straight in the eye.

“And you have become a great man,” Jong Hun said with a tone of a proud father.

Chanyeol swallowed and continued,

“But I don’t even know what the duty that I have to fulfil was…I-I don’t think I deserve to return home.”

Jong Hun shook his head gently and said,

“But I do. When they brought you here, they told me that Chanyeol has to learn to take care of himself, he has to learn to be strong, physically and mentally, he has to learn to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders because this is just a part of his duty, the most crucial part of his responsibility lies when he returns home.”

Chanyeol stood silently, absorbing the truth.

“So you really think that I’ve become a great man?” He questioned, a grin tugging on his lips.

“Well, before I had my doubts but after recent events I have no qualms saying that you have indeed become a great man. But my dear Chanyeol, remember that the worst has yet to come. Greatness is only proven when it is tested. After you return home, everything, especially the mission that I’ve just given you will not be easy,” Jong Hun warned.

Chanyeol suddenly looked very serious and he nodded before he said,

“I understand, it’s been 18 years…I-I just really miss my parents,” Chanyeol confessed.

“I don’t think I deserve to go home,” Chanyeol said quietly to Hae Ri, igniting her wrath.

She started to lecture him on what an idiot he was and on ‘who on earth doesn’t deserve to go home?!’. Her rambling did not stop until he interrupted,

“Yeah yeah, I know, I was just being emotionally overwhelmed…It’s just been too long. Sorry for making you worry Nature Girl.”

Hae Ri sighed before replying,

“I’m just glad you’re fine, Fire Boy.”

 


 

Oops this chapter may be a little draggy :x Anyway more on the mission in the next chapter heh.

Thanks for the subbies! xD

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And of course the upvote from I-Love-EXO <3