Chapter 13

Two Is Better Than One

 

Heechul glanced uneasily in every direction. He then slumped on his chair moodily before turning to check the time with his watch. Hankyung on the other hand, sat in his seat calmly as he observed his disturbed lover who was sitting next to him with patience. 

“Where the hell is he? Are you sure you set us up right?” The lead singer’s eyes remained glued to the glass window of the restaurant, scanning almost everyone and everything that the window pane would allow him. 

The couple had arranged to meet up Sungmin via Eunhyuk which Kyuhyun had managed contact a few days ago. It was then decided that Hankyung would make the call since he was leader and the most calm and collective amongst the lot. Sungmin was hesitant at first, but after much chiding and partly it was the respect the younger had for Hankyung, did he finally agree. 

“Chullie-yah, its been four years since we last saw him. He would have changed a lot. Just don’t get your hopes too high, there’s no certain how he might react to what we’re about to tell him later.” As usual, the leader’s voice would make so much sense, Heechul would rather not listen. 

Heechul nodded absent mindedly as Hankyung hugged him affectionately through their seats. “We’ll try, Hankyung. For my brother’s happiness, for Donghae’s happiness, I‘m willing to take the chance.” 

The couple had managed to catch some time alone, the past few months had been hard for them. Even best friends would have a certain line they shouldn’t cross over and Hankyung and Heechul were a little too close for the public eye’s comfort. The management had ordered them to tone down their skin ship and fan service to a minimum, fearing homophobic criticism. With so much pressure from the management, fans, and the public to please, the couple barely had chance to hold hands. 

And now that they were back in Clintwood, it was just like the past. They wouldn’t have to adhere to any rules here. 
They were in a deep conversation with Heechul occasionally staring out into the streets spotting for their former band member while Hankyung had his arm draped around the elder’s shoulder. The two lovers were seated at the end of the town’s best restaurant. It was the same restaurant Sungmin had bought them dinner with his first pay. 

“Hankyung-ah, it only seemed like yesterday that Sungmin had treated us here for dinner,” Heechul sighed as he played with Hankyung’s fingers that were over his shoulders. The leader hummed in agreement. 

“We sat on the exact same table here. Talking, laughing, fooling around. Kyuhyun devouring his food like he was on starvation for weeks, Donghae sending portions of his food into Sungmin’s plate while they sneakily hold hands under the table. And we sat there smiling like we meant it,” Hankyung couldn’t help but smile along to the memory that Heechul had rambled out lazily as leaning into his lover, enjoying his warmth. It was really one of the happiest moment of their lives. 

“If only it would last. Its been a while since Donghae smiled, or laughed.” 

Of course, good things would always come to an end, Hankyung thought. He was about to comfort Heechul when he spotted a familiar figure by the reception. Hankyung waved his hand calmly in order to catch the person’s attention while Heechul sat straight up. 

Sungmin caught sight of the elder couple and headed towards their direction. They were seated a little too far back, mostly for privacy. Sungmin was amazed that Hankyung and Heechul had managed to stay together, even until today. 

“Hey Sungmin,” Hankyung smiled and greeted calmly as always. Sungmin had always admired and respected his demeaning aura. Sungmin then removed his coat to hang it on his chair. His cheeks still puffy red from the cold winter in town. 

“Hankyung hyung, Heechul hyung,” He proceeded to take his seat opposite the couple. 

Heechul grinned, “There’s no need for so much manners, Sungmin. You know I spit on it.” 

Sungmin smiled. Heechul’s is as rebellious and wild as he used to be. 

“How are you Sungmin? Its been a while since we last seen you,” But there was always Hankyung’s steadiness that would calm his lover down. They compliment each other, like the moon and the sun. 

“I’m fine,” Sungmin replied coldly as he smiled. 

“We’re glad you are,” Hankyung admitted sincerely. Sungmin was everything like Kyuhyun had described him to be. Taller, his small petite frame had morphed into a tone body, his youthful innocent face was replaced with maturity and professionalism. 

Further conversations were interrupted and made to a halt as they waitress came over for their order. 

“I’ll have latte while Heechul would like an orange juice,” Hankyung paused and turned to look a Sungmin, “What about you Minnie?” 

“Water would be fine,” an uneasy feeling settled on his stomach hearing Hankyung call him Minnie. Its been a while since anyone had call him with that nickname. 

The middle aged lady nodded and proceeded to write down their orders, her eyes widen in shock as she turned up to recollect their menus, “You’re Lee Sungmin aren’t you?” 

Sungmin smiled hesitantly. 

“I heard about your upcoming wedding. The whole town’s buzzing in excitement with it. We’ve never had an event this big since Eeteuk’s wedding four years ago. Can you believe he‘s a dad of two now?” The waitress continued on, oblivious to the mounting tension and awkwardness between the three. Heechul frowned, Hankyung plastered a fake smile while Sungmin smoothed the side of his hair with his hand. 

“Congratulations then. I’ll just get your orders keyed in,” Thankfully, she left the table as quickly as she had talked. 
Sungmin felt a little pang in his heart, Eeteuk’s wedding was the night they had first met, officially. That alone had let to so many wonderful memories, which had all turned out to be lies. ing lies. 

“So Sungmin, are you really getting married?” Heechul asked sarcastically. 

Sungmin nodded, he didn’t know that three had attended his birthday party the other day assuming that they knew from the town’s gossip. 

“Do you love her?” Heechul asked bluntly earning a jab from Hankyung by his side. 

“Why else would I marry her?” Sungmin challenged back. 

“You have not answered my question Sungmin.” 

Silence hung dangerously in the atmosphere as Heechul and Sungmin were engaged in a heated glaring battle. 

“Sungmin-ah” Hankyung had decided to step in before Heechul loses his patience and dives in to strangle the younger. “Have you seen Donghae yet?” 

Sungmin tore his attention from Heechul to Hankyung. He smirked, “Why would I need to see him? When he was the one who kicked me out of his life in the first place.” 

Heechul snapped, “If it wasn’t for your good-for-nothing father.” 

Hankyung patted Heechul’s thigh under the table, calming his flaming lover down. 

“Don’t ever talk about my father like that. If it wasn’t for him, I would still be living in the streets by now. He was the one who saved me when all of you had ever done was lie to me,” Sungmin retorted with equal fire. 

“Lies?!, bull. If it wasn’t for your almighty and noble father, Donghae and you would still be together by now.” 

Sungmin crossed him arms as he continued to glare at the lead singer, “Stop insulting my father.” 

“Your dad, Sungmin, your dad went to look for Donghae. He talked to him into thinking that he would ruin your future if you two were together. What Donghae did is because he loves you. Even till now,” Heechul had managed to lower his anger and was now explaining calmly to Sungmin. 

“Love? Do you know how much I suffered? How much tears I shed because of him? I thought for once he was different, but in the end, he was just a liar. Like all of you.” 

“You think you were the only one that suffered? Have we told you that Donghae was diagnosed with depression? Do you know that he rejected the record company’s offer because of you? Do you know that he broke his leg twice?! Do you?! Do you know he was almost crippled because of you?! Do you ing know Lee Sungmin?!” Heechul hissed angrily, he didn’t wanted to attract attention. Despite the fact that the corner they were sitting in was far off from the crowd. 

Sungmin couldn’t deny that he was worried at the composer. Heechul noticed that Sungmin had began to tense and decided to continue. 

“You know how much Donghae hates soccer. He barely plays any sports, particularly contact sports. He then decides to play soccer for the school. Our dumb teacher was more than glad to have him play.” 

*F l a s h b a c k*

“What the hell were you thinking Lee Donghae?! You hated contact sports. You hated soccer,” Heechul corners Donghae in the nearby corridor after their weekly assembly. 

The school football team had already been announced, and Donghae had went up with his maroon number ten jersey, representing the school’s theme color and logo with pride. Heechul’s jaw had almost dropped when he saw his best friend on stage. Donghae barely attended school, let alone represent it for something as important as soccer. 

“I’ve been moping around long enough already. Its time I do something valuable.” 

“Working at the shop isn’t? Huh? Writing music isn’t?” 

Donghae looked away in annoyance, “Its just something that I want to do alright? I know how to take care of myself!” 

With that Donghae shoved Heechul’s hands away from his collar and left without saying a word.

*E n d o f F l a s h b a c k*

“That was the first time in years I had argued with him. He wasn’t the Donghae I know anymore, he smokes every minute of the day. 

And when he doesn’t smoke, he hides in his room for hours. Hankyung and I were at our wits end. Nothing we do could change his mind.” 

*F l a s h b a c k*

“Donghae-ah, please. This is your dream! You’ve been talking about this ever since we were in kindergarten. Why? What changed?” Heechul pleaded Donghae desperately. Heechul had just got back from his audition with the record company, Donghae had skipped the meeting cutting his chance of joining immediately. 

Donghae dabbed his cigarette to the railing, shaking off the forming ashes before taking in another breath of the deadly nicotine and tobacco mix. Donghae sat calmly on the rooftop of their apartment, just enjoying the peace and the quiet it has offer. 

He watched as the smoke escaped his mouth little by little, drawing a small cloud, “Those were just childish dreams. People grow up.” 
“You are liar Lee Donghae. You love music more than anything else.” 

Donghae chuckled, “That’s where you’re wrong. I love Sungmin more than anything else.” 

Heechul sighed and rested his hand on Donghae’s shoulder, “He’s gone. He’s going to move on. You have to too.” 

“I will wait forever. Even if he doesn’t come back, I’ll be here in Clintwood for as long as I live.” 

The composer cut Heechul off, “Heechul-ah, you go ahead. Hankyung will take care of you. He always be there to protect you, don’t let a little argument end your relationship. At least you have the chance to see him everyday. I don’t know when will be the day I’ll see Sungmin again.” 

Donghae threw the bud on the floor and reach for another one down his pack, “Appreciate him Heechul.” 

He lighted the cancer stick, patted Heechul’s back and left for the rooftop door, leaving Heechul in a big mess of thoughts.

*E n d o f F l a s h b a c k* 

“That’s when he lost his chance to join the company. You know how talented Donghae is, Sungmin. He would have made it big, he wouldn’t have to be stuck here while everyone else is moving forward. He wouldn’t have been looked down upon by your dad.” 

*F l a s h b a c k*

“Look who’s here you guys,” A guy teased as the rest of the team echoed his laugh. 

“Lee Donghae. The most famous boy in town. Gay boy,” Donghae ignored him as he continued putting on his boots. The guy was disappointed at the lack of response from Donghae and chose to dig in deeper to provoke him. 

The guy leaned in nearer to Donghae who was sitting on the bench, “I heard you screwed Lee Sungmin and he had to leave town because he was too traumatize.”’ 

“Is gay good, Lee Donghae? Or is it that scary that the person has to run away?” Donghae had lost his semblance of patience and dove straight into the guy’s direction for a punch. He grabbed his collar fiercely. 

The guy was caught of guard and fell to the soft green grass immediately. The rest of his team helped peel Donghae away from the St. Patrick’s captain who was nursing his bleeding nose. 

“Calm down, Donghae,” He heard Eunhyuk pulling his arms in a death grip. Not allowing the composer from lunging into that guy again. He had managed to control his temper largely because it was Eunhyuk. And Eunhyuk was Sungmin’s best friend. Right now, it was the closest he could get to Sungmin. 

The rest of the team had let him go as soon as Donghae had stopped struggling. 

“What’s this all about?” Kangin, Clintwood High’s soccer captain questioned as the large crowd began to dissipate. Donghae left without another word towards the locker room. 

“ off Lee Donghae, this is my turf. You follow my rules,” The guy yelled teasingly as he laughed. Donghae had only continued heading towards the locker room, away from the field. He could easily take down the whole team but it was a childish thing to do. And he doesn’t believe in violence anymore. 

That guy isn’t worth his time.

*E n d o f F l a s h b a c k* 

*F l a s h b a c k*

“Lee Donghae, you’re in,” The coach signaled as the composer continued to warm his legs up. He then run to stand beside the official who held the board up high showing the correct substitution. The said player ran off the field and gave Donghae a high five before running in to the side stand. 

The same bad guy gave eye signal towards his team mates before grinning slyly. 

Lee Donghae was going to pay. 

Donghae had played wing that day, it was like a bonus for the guy. As the composer continued dribbling his ball pass every player into the left corner of the field, the guy had eyed two of his defenders to move out. They nodded at him before running towards the referee. The two began running lightly, stopping and jogging all around the referee, distracting him. The both of them finally stopped and blocked the referee’s full view of Donghae. 

The guy caught his perfect opportunity and ran before sliding his leg down for a tackle Donghae’s right shin, hitting it hard and with precision. The sound of bone snapping had not been enough to describe the pain coursing through Donghae’s body now. 

He flew as the result of the momentum and impact of the guy’s tackle before landing harshly on the ground below. Tears of agonizing pain began flowing while he laid lifelessly on the ground. Bystanders were booing the referee as he did nothing but called for medical attention. 

Donghae had managed to catch sight of the guy who was smirking above him, “I told you Lee Donghae, this is my turf. I make the rules.” 

That was the last thing he saw before Donghae fainted to the overwhelming pain.

*E n d o f F l a s h b a c k*

“We took a leave from training immediately after Eunhyuk had called us. Doctor said he broke his shin and dislocated his ankle. It was a pretty big blow from someone as strong as the guy. Donghae refused to speak to any of us, Hankyung and I tried everything. It took six months before his cast could be completely removed and another month for him to walk again. He drew in deeper depression ignoring everyone around him. By that time, the Donghae you once dated and the Donghae I knew was gone.” 

*F l a s h b a c k*

“Haven’t you heard? Mr. Lee’s son will be heading back for a visit soon,” A middle aged woman told her husband. 

Donghae who was busy choosing his weekly supply of cigarette had managed to catch the sentence and was listening intently to the old couple’s conversation. 

“The poor boy, Aerin told me he’s homesick. They’re picking him up from the airport about now.” 

Donghae’s eyes widen in shock, he immediately exited the shop and jogged home as fast as his newly healed leg could carry him. As soon as he’s home, he made a grab for his bike keys. 

He looked at his black Kawasaki, its been almost nine months since he last rode his bike. He sighed heavily, maybe he would have the chance to see Sungmin again. Ignoring the doctor’s advice of keeping heavy activities to his leg to a minimum, he got onto his bike and kick start the accelerator sending the engine to a loud roar. 

It happened in a split second, with his leg in numbing pain and him gradually losing control of his bike due to pain. The loud horn of the car had woke him from his reverie, but it was all too late, with all the strength Donghae could muster, he slid his bike up sending it to glide across the ground missing the car just by inches. 

But the tail of the Kawasaki had collided with the bumper of the car sending Donghae to lose his balance and the huge bike to fall on his right leg. He howled in pain as the moving bike continued to drag his leg across the road mercilessly. 

The bike has finally lost its momentum sliding to a slow halt, blood pooled around his right leg as all Donghae could do was relaxing his body from the excruciating pain. He closed his eyes trying to drain out the screams and vehicle honks echoing in the distance. He then gave in to fatigue and pain. 

“Sungmin...”

*E n d o f F l a s h b a c k*

“He was brought to the hospital straight away for corrective surgery, doctor said that because his bones were healing and growing stronger again, he was restricted from anything that could affect his leg. Such as riding a bike.” 

*F l a s h b a c k*

“Are you related to Lee Donghae?” The doctor asked Heechul and Hankyung who were pacing impatiently outside the operating theatre. 

“Lee Donghae does not have any living family members. I’m his best friend,” Heechul confirmed. “Kim Heechul,” He shook hands with the doctor. 

“The patient’s fine, surgery’s successful as well, his external wounds were washed off and stitched, there were no sign of concussion or any other injuries. He should be up in a few hours after the anesthetic wears off. ” 
The couple sighed in relief. 

“However, this accident has seriously affected his previously healing bones. I managed to fit three screws and a few bolts to help support his leg. In time, these screws could be removed depending on how Mr. Lee’s fractured bones would heal. Some would have to be permanently attached to help provide enough support. Pain would still be evident in the future, even after full recovery. Riding bikes, football and other heavy activities would be impossible in the future anymore.” 

“You mean he can’t ride a bike at all?” Heechul asked hopelessly, trying hard to digest the doctor’s words. Motorcycles are part of Donghae’s life, the latter would be upset if he finds out. And they didn’t need or want another reason for Donghae to fall into even more deeper depression. 

The doctor nodded as he kept his head low, “Just make sure he takes his medication and attends his physiotherapy appointments. Walking and running wouldn’t be a problem after full recovery.” 

*E n d o f F l a s h b a c k*

“Thank god Kyuhyun’s parents were there to help to take care of him. Donghae was up and walking in another six months time. As expected, he cast himself to live in perfect solitude. It was until he met Bada, that he began picking up the pieces of his life,” Heechul continued on. Occasionally pausing to sip on his orange juice. 

A wave of jealousy washed over Sungmin as he heard about Bada. Who was he? When and how did he appear in Donghae’s life? He must be really important to Donghae to be able bring him out of his shell that seemed untouchable even to Heechul and Hankyung. 

Hankyung nodded in agreement, “Yea, at least Bada kept Donghae company. I’m glad he showed up at his doorstep, who could resist those eyes? Even till now, I don’t think Donghae would be ever to live if anything happens to Bada.”

Both of the said singers tried to hold in their laugher as they caught the change in Sungmin’s emotion. Which was mostly jealousy and anger.

“Why are you telling me anyway? As I said, Donghae was the one who left me.” 

Heechul sighed, this was going to be a long day. “Sungmin-ah, think again. What happened before Donghae snapped that night? Don’t you find it odd that how someone so caring, loving and as gentle as Donghae would change just like that? Doesn’t it puzzle you Sungmin?” 

Sungmin looked ahead as he stared at the wall, avoiding eye contact with the couple, “I don’t want to talk about it. There’s nothing to talk about anyway, if he’s as innocent as you put him to be, he shouldn’t have done it in the first place. If he thinks my feelings are something to be played with, then I don’t think he deserves anything.” 

Heechul slammed both hands on the table, “What do you mean he doesn’t deserve anything?!” 

“The only thing he doesn’t deserve is from your good-for-nothing father.” Heechul added sarcastically. Everyone was getting the Kyuhyun disease lately. 

This time, it was Sungmin who stood up, “You talk about my father like that again, you’re not my hyung anymore!” 

“He was there when all of you weren’t. He was the one that pushed me to who I am today. You don’t know how much I owed him. Because you don’t know how much I cried for him hyung, you don’t know how confused I was, I kept on thinking where I went wrong. Why did Donghae hate me so much? It was then I decided to stop being so naïve and innocent. I wouldn’t let you guys fool me again.” 
Heechul scoffed, “I guess you still are Sungmin” 

“Then stop telling me about what’s right and wrong, because as much as I respect you and Hankyung hyung, I’m sick of you trying to prove how innocent Donghae was. I heard and saw with my own eyes what happened that night. And all I trust now, is myself.” 

With that, Sungmin turned to retrieve his coat hanging on the chair and leave. His tears threatening to flow any moment. Its been a while since he last cried, and he swore to himself he was never going to do it again. He refused to be called weak. 

“Remember Sungmin, you had everyone beside you. You have your family, you have your friends, even your fiancé. Who does Donghae have?” Heechul called desperately. This meeting had not turned out the way it was supposed to be. Sungmin was supposed to accept Donghae’s mistakes. He was supposed to know the truth. 

That, his father was at fault. 

Sungmin froze trying to take in Heechul last sentence, but he made to move to turn or acknowledge the lead singer’s words. He continued walking towards the exit instead. 

Heechul heaved a large sigh, “I’m lost, I don’t know what to do anymore Hankyung-ah.” 

Hankyung then stood up to give his lover a comforting hug, “Things will be fine, love, imagine having to live four years of your life believing in a lie, a lie created by your own father. He just needs time.” 

Heechul returned Hankyung’s hug, glad he has someone to comfort him, “I hope so, Hankyung. I hope so.” 

===