Study Dates

Best Kept Secret

Jongdae doesn’t want to study with him; he had said something about Yixing not paying good enough attention or whatever so he refused to study with him, consequently that means Amber isn’t studying with him either because she’s studying with Jongdae.

Yixing doesn’t understand why he’s not included, does it matter that he really doesn’t want to read things about hopeless romantics and stupidly in love teens, and he doesn’t want to do the essay or any other type of project he just wants to get it over with.

Because Jongdae and Amber don’t want to study with him and Zitao doesn’t know the book, he’s in the library at lunch, trying to read through scene II of the book, with little hope because his attention span really does and he’s focusing on different things like the writing craved into the table in front of him LKH <3 MJS, or Junmyeon walking into the library.

Junmyeon’s probably the only person in the whole school that wears his uniform properly, blazer buttoned up with his straight tie and pressed tucked in white shirt peeking through. Yixing was a constant dress code breaker, he barely ever tucked his shirt in, and his tie was always crooked, even his hair, a unnatural sandy brown that seemed unruly on most days, never fit the code.

Yixing breaks from his thoughts and stands heading towards the direction Junmyeon just walked to. Junmyeon’s a senior like he was supposed to be, Junmyeon should have read Romeo and Juliet, which means that he should be able to help Yixing, and maybe Yixing won’t have to read the book.

He sees the slightly older male, looking through books and Yixing pauses, wondering if he’s supposed to call him by Suho or Junmyeon. Was Suho a nickname for only those closest to him, or was it because he didn’t particularly like people calling him by his real name? Was it an outside of school thing?

“Hi,” he says, settling on not saying any name just yet. Junmyeon turns towards him, his eyes widening in surprise as he looks around the area to see if anyone’s watching the two of them interact.

“Why are you talking to me,” Junmyeon asks him.

“I know it’s too soon to call us friends but I’d like to think that we were close acquaintances,” Yixing says, trying not to pout like a child.

“It’s not like that,” Junmyeon tells him. “I mean why are you talking to me, now and in public?”

“Do I embarrass you,” Yixing asks, his eyes roaming around the area, they’re in a more secluded part of the library and even though Yixing’s heart is beating faster at talking in public to someone he honestly shouldn’t be, he’s not as worried as Junmyeon seems to be. “Are you ashamed of me?”

“Yes Zhang Yixing, I am ashamed of you and that good student vibe of yours,” Junmyeon deadpans. “ but really, you should be the one cautious about talking to me. Wouldn’t want to tarnish your charming reputation would we?”

“I don’t care about those things,” Yixing says wrinkling his nose in disdain. “If a person doesn’t want to associate me based on who I hang out without then I don’t want them around me.” Junmyeon smiles at that, his eyes turn up at the corners and his lips pull back exposing his teeth, and Yixing realizes at that moment that he’s handsome. He always knew Junmyeon was handsome but when he’s smiling, he looks even more handsome, and Yixing finds it sad that there are so many people that don’t get to see his smile because they’re afraid of his reputation, and the people he hangs out with.

“Why are you here though,” Junmyeon asks. “Honestly?”

“Why am I here talking to you or why am I at the library during lunch,” Yixing asks back.

“Both,” Junmyeon tells him.

“Good,” Yixing says. “They kind of interconnect. I have a question for you though before I can answer yours.” Junmyeon looks at him in question and Yixing just kind of stares, Junmyeon’s face is really expressive, he thinks that the older male could be an actor something, that type of face, friendly and expressive, it wasn’t common.

“Are you okay Lay,” Junmyeon asks, pushing at his shoulder slightly, his questioning glance turning into one of concern.

“Sorry,” Yixing mutters, “anyway back to what I was saying, when you were a second year did you read Romeo and Juliet?”

“I have,” Junmyeon states, “are they giving it again.”

“They are,” Yixing answers and he’s definitely pouting now. “Did you do well? Can you help me? My friends don’t want to help me.”

“Why don’t they want to help you,” Junmyeon asks going back to browsing through the shelves of books.

“They hate me,” Yixing states. Junmyeon looks at him startled but let’s a quiet laugh escapes pass his lips.

“And I don’t,” Junmyeon teases. Yixing frowns and hits him slightly.

“I don’t get it,” Yixing says. “I do get it but I don’t if that makes any sense. The words are written to make it especially hard to read and the plot is kind of hard to believe. I haven’t gotten pass the first scene to be honest.”

Junmyeon’s laughing harder, it’s not loud but his shoulders shake and it makes Yixing pout. “That was the most I’ve ever heard you speak.”

“I’m desperate,” Yixing explains.

“I’ll help you,” Junmyeon tells him. “Because I’m so kind, and you’re so desperate. Do you want to start today?”

“At your house,” Yixing asks.

“Do you want to go to yours,” Junmyeon asks.

“Your house is fine,” Yixing tells him. “My mom’s nosy and just…your place is great.”

“Good you know how to get there right,” Junmyeon asks him, grabbing the book he seemed to have been searching for off the shelf.

“Um,” Yixing mutters.

“Follow me after school,” Junmyeon states.

“Follow,” Yixing repeats. “You want me to actually follow you, like a stalker?”

“You might not care about your reputation but I do,” Junmyeon states. “I don’t want Jongdae finding out you’re hanging out with us okay.” Yixing narrows his eyes, but nods his head.

“Okay I can do that.” Yixing starts to walk back to his table before he pauses and turns back to Junmyeon. “I have one more question,” he says.

“Hmm,” Junmyeon hums.

“Suho or Junmyeon?’

“Suho,” Junmyeon tells him, “You’re a part of the group now, you can call me Suho.”

 


 

Yixing makes up another excuse, telling his friends that he found a new study partner. No one believes him at first but then Zitao states that it might be a girl and it might be a date and they live him alone.

Yixing follows a good distance behind Junmyeon, there’s a group of girls that walk in the same direction and Yixing looks more like he’s walking with them then with Junmyeon. When they’re close to Junmyeon’s house, Yixing catches up to walk beside him and Junmyeon smiles gently not exactly looking in his direction.

The house seems quieter as they enter, and they head straight to Junmyeon’s room, Junmyeon sits on his bed and Yixing sits at his desk.

“What exactly are you having problems with,” Junmyeon asks him, dropping his bag on the floor in front of his bed.

“Your room doesn’t look messy,” Yixing says.

“Huh,” Junmyeon says.

“Kai,” Yixing mumbles, “He said you were messy.”

“I am,” Junmyeon states, “I tend to be when I’m studying too much or something, like one second it’s just my school book, but then it becomes papers and clothes and…yeah. But what do you need help in.”

“I don’t understand,” Yixing explains with a groan. “Korean is a second language for me and this is like extremely hard for me to read and I just can’t get the plot. Jongdae explained or at least hinted at it being a bit about going against your parents or something but he said that was only part of it, and I haven’t even gotten to that part yet.”

Junmyeon grins and Yixing feels just the tiniest bit better. “Okay,” he says. “Do you want to go over the first scene again or should we just go onto the second scene.”

“The second one please,” Yixing begs. Junmyeon nods and tells Yixing to come sit beside him, he summarizes the first scene for Yixing in case he hadn’t understood it, and then he breaks the text down in simpler terms for Yixing making it a lot easier to understand. By the time Junmyeon suggests a break they’re just about to start scene five of act one.

 


 

“Romeo’s and Juliet’s love and the reckless way they kind of went about it is kind of the main point of the play,” Junmyeon explains to him as they head down the stairs to get drinks and food.  “You know Romeo was crazy about Rosaline supposedly but you don’t see as much of it as you see his love for Juliet. That means he was more serious.”

“Isn’t it because it’s called Romeo and Juliet, not Romeo and Rosaline,” Yixing asks. “We don’t know what happened in that time before Romeo appeared in act one.”

“If she was significant then Shakespeare would have included her,” Junmyeon says.

“I guess,” Yixing huffs, entering the kitchen behind Junmyeon, Luhan’s there and when he sees Yixing, his eyebrows shoot high and his pulls the glass of water from between his lips before he even takes a sip.

“Lay,” he says in greeting, his eyes shooting from Yixing to Junmyeon. “I didn’t realize you were here.”

“Yeah I came with Suho earlier,” Yixing explains. “He’s helping me with schoolwork.”

“Schoolwork,” Luhan repeats, “I forget that you two go to school together. I guess that’s good right? Were you in your room?” The question is directed at Junmyeon and Yixing watches as he nods his head and heads towards the refrigerator.

“Do you want to eat anything in particular Lay,” Junmyeon asks.

“Anything’s fine,” Yixing tells him, he turns towards Luhan who’s still eyeing him from the rim of his glass.

“Kai’s not here,” Luhan tells him.

“Okay,” Yixing says. “I’ll see him next time then.”

“Yeah,” Luhan mutters, exiting the kitchen with his glass.

“What was that about,” Yixing asks, sitting down on one of the stools.

“That was Luhan being Luhan,” Junmyeon tells him, “Let’s go back. I at least want to help you finish Act I.”

“Thanks Suho,” Yixing says with a smile, grabbing his glass of lemonade and following Junmyeon back upstairs.

Junmyeon helps him with the first act, and then they stay in his room finishing their other homework.

“Why did you have to repeat a year,” Junmyeon asks him, and then he grimaces. “You don’t have to answer it, you know if it’s too personal or something.”

“Korean’s my second language,” Yixing explains. “When I first came to Korea my Korean was so bad that I had no choice but to repeat a year, I hadn’t really learned much because of the language barrier. It happened years ago though so I don’t care all too much about it now I guess.”

“Your Korean’s perfect now,” Junmyeon tells him.

“No it isn’t,” Yixing answers. “My accent is still apparent and I screw up words a lot especially the words that I should know by now.”

“It’s cute,” Junmyeon tells him. “You’re accent gives you character, it’s cute. It’s all cute.” Yixing blushes, his cheeks a faint red as he looks down at his history homework.



Is this Sulay? I realized that I only wrote the main pairings and nothing about the people involved in the love triangles. I know some will be more obvious to you but I want most to seem unexpected.