Hurt

Best Kept Secret

The morning Yixing wakes, a terrible feeling washes over him. It reminds him of the feeling he often gets when he has a test at school, but forgot to study. The strange feeling lingers to the point where Yixing wastes five full minutes wondering if he completed all homework or if he has a test he’d forgotten about. When Yixing can’t think of anything wrong he ignores the feeling and gets ready for school.

Despite their fight, and despite the fact that Tao still isn’t talking completely to Yixing, they still walk to school together. If Yixing’s honest with himself, he doesn’t really understand why Tao’s the one giving him silent treatment, after all Yixing was the one put in the tough position of choosing between friend and family. That thought alone sends a spark of anger through Yixing. The anger however, is not utterly directed at Tao, or the constant fact he’s always being forced to choose between two people. It’s anger that he directs fully at himself, because he had always been the doting cousin brushing off Tao’s stubborn behavior.

The rest of the day is smooth at least until lunch. The feeling of something being off doesn't resurface until he sees Kyungsoo and Baekhyun. Baekhyun looks exhausted, head resting on Kyungsoo's shoulder and eyes zeroed in on his cellphone. Kyungsoo is focused on a conversation with Jongdae and Amber, but doesn't seem to be speaking.

"Are you okay," Yixing asks sitting across from Baekhyun. Baekhyun looks up to him with tired eyes and instead turns to Kyungsoo. Yixing doesn't have to look around to know the entire table has fallen silent, but he can't understand why.

"I'm fine," Baekhyun says a moment later, eyes trained directly on Yixing. "Everything's fine," he adds for emphasis, moving away from Kyungsoo as the younger boy’s lips tug down into a frown.

It's weird. Everything just feels extremely weird, but Yixing's not going to pry. If no one wants to tell him what's going on, or if they choose to speak in code instead, he won't question it. There's enough drama in his life that he could do without the weirdness. He only hopes that the people sitting at the table are okay. Baekhyun might not be his best friend, but Yixing has grown to like him and doesn’t like seeing this side of him.

Jongdae clues him in on what's going on when the lunch hour is nearing its end. The two of them are walking together to their class when Jongdae slows him down to speak privately to him.

"Have you heard the rumors," Jongdae asks in a whispered voice.

"No," Yixing replies with a frown. "You know I don't pay attention to gossip."

"There's a really bad rumor going around," Jongdae says. "Supposedly someone got into an accident."

"Someone from school," Yixing asks pausing in his steps to get a better look at Jongdae.

"No," Jongdae replies with a shake of his head. "Someone from Junmyeon's group. I don't know the details. The rumors are really outrageous and it didn't feel right to ask Baekhyun or Kyungsoo."

Yixing frowns deeply lost in thought, wondering what he should do, or if he was even supposed to do something. The school bell rings and Yixing breaks from his thoughts to meet Jongdae's concerned eyes.

"Thanks for telling me," he says, as they start walking once again.

Throughout the rest of his day, Yixing is distracted. It's impossible for Yixing not to be concerned, but he doesn't know how he should go about his concern. His first thought is to contact Kai directly. It makes the most sense, but Yixing finds himself fearful of even doing that. It wasn't just the usual hesitance that came when Yixing thought of his ex, it was a deep anxious fear. What if Kai was the one hurt?

He hated that he didn't know anything, for all he knew he could be overreacting and all the person had was a small bruise that got blown out of proportion by rumors. Yet, if it wasn't anything major would Baekhyun look like that? Was Baekhyun's look of exhaustion even related to the rumors, and for that matter why did Baekhyun look to Kyungsoo just to answer Yixing's question?

It was all really confusing.

Yixing had eventually decided to send a text message to Sulli. He figured out of everyone else she was bound to know something. Apparently she knew nearly as much as he did, the only difference was that Chanyeol had reassured her that he was fine and no one was hurt severely. That left four other people to worry about, and even though Yixing's mind had stopped going to the worse possible scenario, he was still worried.


After school is when Yixing makes a decision. It's a bit of a forced decision, and he struggles between continuing forward and running back home and locking himself in his room with his rampant thoughts until Sulli contacted him with an update.

He doesn't entertain the last thought long, his terrible imagination would drive him mad if he went home, and so with small drawn-out steps he heads towards his original destination.

The extent of Yixing's plans end outside of Kai's house. He stands there, trying to organize his thoughts to the best of his abilities, so he won't get distracted when he finally decides to move forward and figure out what's fact and what's baseless gossip.

"What are you doing," he hears and finds himself freezing in place like a criminal caught in the act. He turns and meets Kai's amused and bright eyes. Yixing doesn't answer, instead his eyes slide over Kai's frame, looking for any scratches, bruises, or misplaced hairs. When Yixing can't find anything out of the ordinary, he nearly sighs in relief.

"Are you okay," Kai asks next, moving forward but still keeping a safe distance from him.

"I should be asking that," Yixing replies. The way Kai's lips pull down at the corners and his eyebrows knit together in a beautiful state of confusion has Yixing wondering if this was all planned. Maybe Sulli knew he'd come running if he heard someone was hurt. Then again, why would Jongdae and the others be collaborating with her? Yixing was more than sure Jongdae didn't even know Sulli by name.

"I'm fine," Kai says, both the humor and the confusion has left his features and know his face is void of all readable emotions.

"Who was hurt then," Yixing asks, crossing another name off the list.

"Does it matter," Kai asks. "There's no lasting damage. He'll be fine."

"Why won't you tell me," Yixing asks. "Sulli said it wasn't anything severe."

"I could tell you," Kai says and steps forward. "But, you'd have to come back." Another step forward and Yixing frowns because he knows he's teasing and he knows that Kai doesn't mean come back to him personally despite the flirtatious steps forward.

"Is this how you want me back," Yixing asks. The smirk drops again and Yixing realizes that it never stays for long.

"I was just joking," Kai admits. "I didn't want you to worry."

"I'd be a lot less worried if you told me who is hurt," Yixing retorts.

Kai studies him and Yixing does his best not to fidget under the heat of his gaze. "It was Sehun," Kai admits a moment later. "I can't go into details because he begged us not to out of embarrassment, but he's in the hospital and will probably be out tomorrow."

"He'll be okay," Yixing asks.

"He'll be fine," Kai says. "If he wasn't going to be, do you think I would be anywhere but beside his hospital bed. Don't worry." Kai stares intently at him as if he's willing Yixing to relax just with his eyes. "Trust me."

Yixing nods his head, feeling at least a bit more convinced. "Can I come visit when he's back from the hospital," Yixing asks. He looks up to meet Kai's eyes and the smile that's on Kai's lips is far from the over-confident smirk. It's soft and indulgent, and makes Yixing feel small.

"Of course you can," Kai replies. "No matter what you decide, you can always come visit."


When Yixing comes home Tao is already in his room, textbooks across his bed, and the younger attempting to do homework.

"What are you doing in here," Yixing settling near his headboard and grabbing one of the books farthest from Tao. "Aren't you mad at me?"

"I'm not mad at you," Tao replies as if he hasn't given Yixing the cold shoulder the past few days. "Where were you?"

Oh, Yixing says in his head, suddenly understanding his cousin's new amicable state. It takes him a moment to answer, deciding between teasing his cousin or being straight forward. "Where did you think?" There's a twitch in Tao's features that show he doesn't like the answer, and Yixing looks down, biting the inside of his cheek to stop from laughing.

"With Jongdae," Tao asks.

"I've been thinking about doing things over with Kai," Yixing finally admits. He watches Tao closely for his reaction. At first glance his attention seems to be trained on his homework, but upon closer look Yixing notices the frown and the tight grip he has on his pencil.

"You can't," Tao finally says, sitting up on the bed and turning to glare at Yixing. "Didn't you break up for a reason? Don't be so stupid, do you really think anything has changed from a few weeks ago?"

Yixing clinches his jaw in anger, and does his best to not have an outburst. If Yixing gets angry, then it will only fuel the fire burning in Tao, and would do nothing to help the younger see his point. Besides their constant fights were beginning to make his mother suspicious, and with her downstairs Yixing didn't want to run the risk of having her overhear their conversation.

"You're being really controlling," Yixing says. "I never told you why we broke up because it was stupid, and I knew you'd bring it up the moment I said I regret it."

"But there is a reason," Tao points out. "I'm not being controlling I just don't think you should do it."

"It's a good thing I'm not asking you permission," Yixing says simply. "I just didn't want to keep you in the dark this time. Besides now you won't have to worry about Kris and me."

Yixing notices the shift in emotion quickly. The anger in Tao's eyes fade and in its place sits the vulnerable and sensitive cousin that Yixing had spoiled terribly.

"I wasn't behaving that way before because I thought you'd try and steal Kris," he states, refusing to meet Yixing's eyes.

Yixing's eyes soften as he stares at his cousin, he can't stay angry for long with Tao, and despite the rational part of his mind telling him that he needs to tell Tao why his words had hurt him last time, the part of him that had been jealous of Kyungsoo could understand him and wanted to give him a pass.

"It's okay," Yixing says a moment later.

"No it's not," Tao replies. "I knew you wouldn't do a thing with him, but Kris..." he trails off and Yixing finds himself upset again, but not at his cousin or himself.

"Kris what," Yixing asks, moving books aside to sit closer to his cousin. He tilts his head down to meet Tao's sad eyes, and Yixing feels another wave of anger wash over him. "Does he cheat on you?"

Tao looks up to him and shakes his head frantically. "No. No, he hasn't cheated on me. He wouldn't do such a thing."

"Then what does he do that makes you worry about us hanging out," Yixing asks.

"I'm not supposed to tell you," Tao says softly.

"You should tell me anyway," Yixing says still frowning. "You're making me think he's done something and trust me you're not the only one who can be overprotective." He sees Tao's lips quirk slightly and sits back slightly.

"He hasn't done anything," Tao replies. "It's just... the person he's in love with is..."

He trails off again and Yixing decides to reveal his last conversation with Kris. "We've already talked about that," Yixing says, watching as Tao turns to him with surprise. "I told him if his feelings ran deeper for that person then he shouldn't lead you on, but anyone with eyes can tell he likes you most."

"Do you know the name of the person he liked," Tao asks.

"Does it matter," Yixing asks. "I think since you know him you're probably comparing yourself to him even though you and Kris match so well."

Tao laughs out right then and looks up to meet Yixing's eyes. "The person he likes is really great too. I always felt like a third wheel when I was with them."

"Liked,” Yixing says. “And they must have not been as compatible if you got Kris in the end. Kris might have liked him, but you won his heart in the end."

"You really don't know," Tao mutters and when Yixing eyes narrow in annoyance, he continues. "You have no idea you are talking about yourself."

Yixing doesn't reply right away, he allows the words to tumble around in his head for a second longer as he attempts to sense make of Tao's words. "You're joking right?"

When Tao shakes his head no, Yixing remains confused. He still doesn't think he understands, because from the sounds of it, it seems as if Tao is attempting to say that he was the person causing tension in his relationship with Kris, and that wasn't right. Was it? Kris couldn't possibly have liked him, could he?

"Are you saying Kris liked me," Yixing asks. His mouth feels as if he hasn't drank a drop of water all day and his ears were ringing. Maybe he hadn't heard him correctly, maybe his mind was making up things.

"Is that really a surprise," Tao asks.

Yixing doesn't know what to say, because yes that is a surprise to him. Just like with Junmyeon, Yixing had never thought that they really liked him in that way. It might have been obvious to others, but to Yixing, every gesture, every look, every freaking word said to him had expressed nothing but friendship.

Yixing doesn't want to keep asking Tao if he's positive that Kris likes him, Tao is his family and Kris's boyfriend after all and admitting that must have hurt, but Yixing still can't believe it. Had Kris told him that or did he come to that conclusion based on how they acted around each other.

Tao must have seen his look of bewilderment, because he starts to speak. "I always kind of knew, but when we found out about your boyfriend he told me."

Yixing is quiet as he tries to ignore the disbelief still swirling in his gut and focus on the bigger picture.

After a long moment of silence and thought he finally speaks. "I don't know rather to cry or laugh," he states, finally breaking from his thoughts. Things are finally starting to make sense to him, all the pieces have been found and put in place, and now the picture's clearer.

"It's okay," Tao says. "You can laugh. I know it's pathetic, being in love with someone who's infatuated with my cousin."

The laugh that escapes from Yixing's lips has Tao turning to him in shock. "No," Yixing says when he's sure another rogue laugh won't slip from him. "That's not why I want to laugh. We're just really similar. Jongdae said it yesterday and now here we are, and I see it now."

"What are you talking about," Tao asks him

"We're both really stupid when it comes to love," Yixing explains, wondering if it was a genetic flaw. They came from a long line of hopeless romantics, but maybe those words differed from its traditional definition. "I broke up with Kai because of my own insecurities. I didn't try to talk to him about it, I just ended things. You should talk to Kris about this, before you do what I did and end up regretting things."

"That won't happen," Tao denies. "We already talked about things."

"No you haven't," Yixing says. "If you talked, like really talked, then you wouldn't be so jealous of us hanging out." Yixing reaches out and touches Tao's arm, so that he'd look at Yixing. "I have never looked at Kris in that way. He has always been and will always be like a brother to me."

"I know," Tao replies. "I'll try to talk to him."

Yixing stares intently at him, trying to see if he's lying. "Good," he says. "Try to do it soon, because I'll need to talk to him as well."

Tao grabs him by the arms, eyes shining with pure undisclosed panic. "Why," he asks.

"You don't have to worry about what I'll say," Yixing says. "Did you forget that I just told you I'm not over Kai?"

"You were serious," Tao asks. "You're really going to try and get back together with him?"

"If he wants me, I want to try again," Yixing admits.

"Haven't you heard the rumors," Tao asks next, the curiosity melting into blatant disapproval.

"Have you ever witnessed anything similar to any rumor about him? Besides why should I believe any rumor when those saying them can't get their facts straight?"

"I'm not saying they're true," Tao says. "Even I couldn't believe them, but even if everything else is false, there are probably a bunch of people out there that don't like them. I hear a lot of people speak poorly of them. Are you sure you want to get in the middle of that?"

"Kai and Junmyeon had asked me the same things. What-if I get alienated or bullied, but I rather not focus on silly what-ifs. The worst things that could happen involve you, Jongdae, and Amber. As long as you are all okay with it, I won't feel bad about things."

"What happened to you saying you were old enough to make your own decisions?"

"I am able to make my own decisions," Yixing explains, "and so are you, that's why I didn't complain when you started dating Kris. It's just feels better knowing those you care about support your decision.”



So it's official, the next chapter will be the last, I finally started planning it and my only concern so far is that it'll be short. I'll admit I kind of lost my love for this story in the previous few chapters, but it's back in full force and I kind of don't want this to end now lol. BTW Sehun is okay in this, my friend swore I was killing someone off in this fanfic, but the most people in this fanfic will be dealing with are broken hearts, and probably a few broken bones in Sehun's case.