Kai's POV (Special Chapter)

Best Kept Secret

The soft click of the call ending has him moving the phone from his ear with a deep intake of breath. He moves the cellphone to the front of him, eyes narrowed, and a deep frown set on his lips. He stares down at it, as if willing it to ring once more.

There’s a soft knock at his bedroom door, followed by the low call of his name, and he snaps his attention away from the silent phone in his hand, to the boy at the door. Kyungsoo’s is peeking inside, as if waiting for permission and the moment Kai meets his eyes, the older boy’s eyebrows furrow softly.

“What’s wrong,” Kyungsoo asks, taking a hesitant step into the room.

Kai shakes his head softly and tosses the phone onto the bed. “I’m fine,” he replies, his voice comes out tight and raspy, and Kai frowns at how strange it sounds. Kyungsoo moves deeper into the room, picking up the cellphone, and sitting beside Kai on the bed.

“Who were you talking to,” Kyungsoo asks, he’s pulls slightly at Kai’s arm, and the boy leans into him.

“Yixing,” he replies, embarrassment makes its works his way through his body. There’s an embarrassment, not because they broke up. He’d figured that it was merely only a matter of time before they broke up, and had even bet the others that Yixing would leave him after the first month out of sheer boredom. There was a shame because in the time that they’d gotten to know each other, he grew fond despite knowing that there would be a time limit to them.

“What did you talk to Yixing about,” Kyungsoo asks next, like an adult trying to pry information from a child.

“We broke up,” Kai states softly. He pulls away from Kyungsoo then taking his cellphone away from the older boy in the process.

“Do you want me to get Junmyeon hyung,” Kyungsoo asks. He his hand is running up and down Kai’s back comfortingly, and his voice is still soft, and lacking any sort of emotion or judgment.

Kai shakes his head once more, and lifts his head putting on a small grin. “Like I said I’m fine. Anyway, what’s up hyung? Why did you come to my room?”

“Junmyeon decided that he doesn’t want to leave Baekhyun alone until we get used to Seoul. So we’re going to stay here for a bit,” Kyungsoo explains.

"You can stay in my room," Kai suggests, “Baekhyun can as well.”

"Where are you going to sleep," Kyungsoo asks, lifting an eyebrow as he gazes at Kai. "Baekhyun can sleep anyway, he doesn’t even need a bed."

“It’s okay,” Kai says with a small laugh, “I’ll just sleep with Suho.”

“You sure you don’t want me to get him now,” Kyungsoo asks, as he stares intently at Kai, a small frown on his face.

Kai frowns as well, becoming mildly annoyed by the question, and Kyungsoo’s skills of perception.

“No,” Kai says, “I’ll talk to him later. Just, can you do me one favor?”

“Sure,” Kyungsoo replies.

“Can you not tell the others about this,” Kai asks, the shame still lingering. As much as he wants to tell the others that they were wrong, he’s also hesitant about it.

“Why not,” Kyungsoo asks.

“Just,” Kai begins trailing off slightly. “I want to be the ones to tell them, and… this break-up thing is still new to me. I’m not sure I’m ready to go and say anything yet.” Kyungsoo’s gaze is still strong on him, and Kai stares back blankly.

“Fine,” Kyungsoo huffs, and falls back onto the bed. “I’ll just leave it to Junmyeon hyung to worry about you.”

Despite the fact that Junmyeon isn’t the oldest, he’s one of easiest people to confide in, especially for Kai.  Junmyeon is the only person that Kai feels as if he can let his walls down completely for, that’s why later in the evening he tells Junmyeon all about his break up and the event that happened in the kitchen with Yixing.

Junmyeon listens quietly, until Kai’s done speaking and then asks his questions.

"Why didn't you tell him your name was Jongin," Junmyeon asks. It’s a simple question, and Junmyeon only asks it, out of curiosity, but that burning shame resurfaces in Kai. Who would have thought that something as simple as a name, would be the cause of him being dumped?

"You know why," Kai replies with a huff. "I just wanted to be Kai.”

“There’s nothing wrong with being Jongin,” Junmyeon states, “we all love Jongin, and I’m sure that he wouldn’t have cared either way if you wanted to be called Kai or Jongin.”

“It doesn’t matter now,” Kai retorts. “You wouldn’t get it. You’re Suho, that’s who you are, not who you aim to be. It’s different.” Kai sighs and lays down, while Junmyeon does the same, a yawn slipping pass his lips. “Go to sleep,” Kai commands softly.

“Why didn’t you just agree to a break,” Junmyeon asks. “Maybe Yixing just needed time to gather his wits.”

“He would have stilled dumped me in the end,” Kai says with a shrug. “Everyone eventually leaves, he just lasted longer than expected.”

"You can be such a pessimist," Junmyeon says. "Do you want me to tell the others?"

“No,” Kai answers. “I’ll do it myself eventually.”

“Eventually,” Junmyeon repeats.

“I want them to get used to him not being around. I know they kind of did over the summer, but I want them to realize he won’t be coming back.”

Kai can Junmyeon’s gaze hot on him, but he tries to ignore it, shuffling about on the bed like a fidgeting child.

“They won’t be upset with you,” Junmyeon states. “I mean, Yixing did break into our group, but we only allowed him to for you. We don’t care if he’s with our group or not. We’re not going to stand behind people that hurt you.”

“He didn’t hurt me,” Kai says, just as Junmyeon lets another soft yawn escape his lips.

“You know what I mean,” Junmyeon says, “We can sleep and talk about this tomorrow.”

“There’s nothing to talk about,” Kai says closing his eyes. “Nothing is going to change by tomorrow. Maybe you can pursue him now.”

There are no talks of Zhang Yixing the next day or the day after that and any talks that happen in the following days don't include Kai.  In place of the words are concerned looks from the people who know about the break up, and people who don't. Kai is usually the type that can mask his emotions well, but with the few looks he gets he starts to wonder if maybe that mask is cracking. Even people he considered merely acquaintances gaze at him strangely.



You asked for it so here you go!! I have all these little things that help me plan/plot out this story and this was honestly a bit longer but I didn't want to overwhelm or confuse you all. Hope you end it <3