Confessions

Best Kept Secret

“So where were you gege,” Zitao asks him as Yixing walks into the room and takes his jacket off, resting it on his desk chair.

“I went for a walk,” Yixing lies, sitting on the edge of his bed, and gazing at Zitao warily.

“From 3 to nearly 8,” Zitao says, his voice a mixture of sarcasm and faux shock. “Did you walk around the whole city or what?”

“That’s exactly what I did,” Yixing says drily, laying on his bed. “Taozi I’m sleepy, can we talk later?”

“Sure,” Zitao says. “I’m compiling a list right now; I’ll wait till you give me more before I say anything.”

“That sounds good,” Yixing mutter burying his face in his pillow.

Zitao leaves his bedroom, with a whispered goodbye and Yixing’s mind runs through his night quickly before he lets himself succumb to the softness of his bed, and his restless exhaustion from staying up so late and traveling deep into the city.

Yixing sleeps till noon, his body probably would have allowed him to sleep later, but his mother refuses to so he wakes up when the sun is the highest point in the sky and his cellphone that he forgot to plug into the charger refusing to turn on.

His mother is nearly always busy on Saturdays, she’s a part of some group for middle-aged Chinese women living in Korea, and their meetings are nearly always on Saturdays. That was kind of how Kris became friends with Zitao and him, Kris’s mother befriended Yixing’s when they first came to Korea and helped them adjust.

“You’re going out with Kris-ge today,” Zitao tells Yixing as the older male comes into the living room with a just made sandwich.

“Where are you going,” Yixing asks him.

“I’m busy with other things,” Zitao states. “You need to go though, more than me. You haven’t spent time with Kris-ge alone, and you keep skipping out on things with us. He’s not going to be around forever you know, he’s got his own life just as you do but he still tries to make time for us. The least you could do is try to make time for him.”

“I was going to go anyway,” Yixing says softly, pouting down at his lunch. “It’s not like I’m doing anything on purpose it’s just, it’s hard.”

“No one ever said keeping secrets was easy,” Zitao tells him before he turns his attention back to the television, finger holding down a button on the remote control to easily change the channels.


“Where’s Tao,” is the first thing Kris asks, when Yixing leaves his house, and gets inside Kris’s car. Yixing files the words to the back of his head, so when Zitao complains about Kris always asking about Yixing’s whereabouts, Yixing can tell him that it’s something he does for the both of them.

“He said he was busy,” Yixing answers, pulling the seltbelt around himself.

“I can’t seem to get the two of you together nowadays,” Kris mutters. “I guess it’s a part of growing up. You’re busy with your own lives now.”

“What did Tao tell you,” Yixing asks.

“You’re rebelling.”

“I’m not rebelling,” Yixing says with a sigh. “I’m really starting to hate that word.”

“You’re becoming an adult then,” Kris says. “You’re trying to figure yourself out or whatever. Some people call it rebelling; you call it ‘not rebelling’ no one’s saying it’s a bad thing.”

“When you say the word rebelling it sounds cheesy and childish,” Yixing states, “I’m not a child.”

“I get it,” Kris tells him with a laugh. “I honestly get it and I understand it too.”

“Good,” Yixing huffs, “so where are we going?”

“Shopping,” Kris tells him. “I need to buy a few things and you know how I need a second opinion for things.”

“You’re such a meticulous shopper,” Yixing says. “Tao would have been perfect for this.”

“Tao doesn’t help me,” Kris replies. “If I’m looking at pants he’s looking at shirts for himself. By the way, tell him that he missed out on free clothes.”

“You were going to buy him clothes,” Yixing asks with disbelief. “I don’t even buy him clothes and we’re related.”

“You’re related so you’re immune to his puppy dog eyes and his ‘gege gege buy me this, please’ I’m not used to that I’m an only child and you don’t do cute.”

“You don’t think I’m cute,” Yixing asks.

“You’re cute,” Kris states, “I just mean that you don’t do that overly cute thing Tao does. You’re naturally cute and I guess it works to your advantage.”

“Aww gege will you buy me free clothes instead,” Yixing asks, leaning his head on Kris’s shoulder, a playful grin threatening to slip onto his lips.

“I don’t need you pulling that cute thing on me too. I’ll be moneyless at this rate.”

“Okay,” Yixing says sitting back in his seat. “How about lunch instead?”

“Lunch is good,” Kris tells him. “I can do lunch.”

They’re shopping at a store with a French name, Kris is looking through the shirts and Yixing’s looking too, picking out the things he sort of thinks Kris will like and showing it to the older male. They talk about easy topics like Zitao, and school. Kris is a full-time student and part time worker, and in a few years after he takes the bar exam and becomes a prosecutor Yixing can see him marrying some woman of an influential background.

Yixing would just be happy to graduate high school, continuing onto university just sounded like a nightmarish dream to him.

“Xing,” he hears, and snaps his attention away from the overpriced shirt in his hands to Kris who’s standing across from him. “There’s a girl looking at you.” Yixing turns from Kris to where he’s subtly pointing out the girl and quickly averts his attention back to the shirt. The girl supposedly staring at him is one of the girls that came to Kai’s house that one time. He doesn’t remember their names, but he remembers her looks.

“Do you know her?”

“No,” Yixing lies softly, his eyes never looking up.

“Then she must be into you,” Kris says and Yixing can hear the grin in his voice. “You should go talk to her.”

“I don’t want to,” Yixing mutters. “She doesn’t seem like my type.”

“What type,” Kris asks. “You need to date before you can develop a type and I personally think that if you talked to her she would be your type. Have you seen her? Pale skin, long legs, and a look that screams innocent, she’s probably as inexperienced as you.”

“She’s just…” Yixing huffs, “I don’t want someone inexperienced.” Kris laughs and Yixing huffs again, putting the shirts he was looking at back and glaring at the older male.

“Are you going to tell me the truth,” Kris asks.

“Do really want me to tell you truth here,” Yixing asks in return.

“Even if you don’t like her or she’s not your type I’m not about to let you miss out on a chance to talk up a girl without a valid excuse. I’m not telling you to go marry her I’m just telling you get a little experience talking to the opposite .”

“I don’t need experience,” Yixing says. “I really seriously don’t need experience talking to the opposite , because…because.” He pauses and leans forward over the racks of shirts so that he can whisper and still be heard over the sound of music. “Because I’m gay.”

He watches as Kris freezes, eyes widening as his smugness slips away. He stays silent as Kris gazes at him intensely not uttering a word, and when he reaches out to try and shake the older out of his stupor Kris flinches away. Yixing bites his bottom lip and tries to appear unbothered by it. He knew it was a big deal, being gay and coming out, honestly he did, but he had so much luck with acceptance so far that he hadn’t imagined that Kris would act any other way but supportive.

“I don’t need experience talking up the opposite because I’m into the same ,” Yixing continues softly, going back to looking through shirts.

“Oh,” Kris mutters. Yixing doesn’t look up as the older male makes his way around the rack so that he’s standing beside Yixing, and he still refuses to look up when Kris touches him. “Xing I’m sorry I was surprised. I really didn’t expect that, but I still love you, you know.”

“I said something shocking,” Yixing tells him. “It’s okay to be surprised. I would have been surprised to if it was the other way around.”

“But still I shouldn’t have acted how I did; I was just really thrown off. You’re telling the truth right? This isn’t something to just get you out of talking to that girl.”

“It isn’t,” Yixing says. “Tao knows, you can ask him.”

“Okay then,” Kris tells him. “I’m okay with it. I don’t care who you li – who you’re attracted to. You’re still naturally cute Zhang Yixing.”

“Thanks Wu Yifan,” Yixing tells him with a laugh.

“Yah,” the older calls out. Yixing’s about to return to picking things out for Kris when he notices the girl’s walking towards him and he grabs onto Kris’ arm.

“Ge can we go get lunch now” Yixing asks him.

“What why,” Kris asks him.

“That girl,” Yixing mutters subtly nodding his head in her direction.

“Oh okay,” Kris tells him. Yixing starts walking towards the cash register to Kris can check out his things when the older pulls him back and wraps an arm around his shoulder. He leans in so that it looks like he’s whispering in his ear, but Kris is kissing his cheek really fast instead. “Let’s go,” he says, pulling away but leaving his arm around Yixing’s shoulder.

“What was that,” Yixing asks in disbelief.

“God Xing,” Kris huffs. “You got to learn how to work that gay angle of yours. Nothing stops unwanted attention like you having a fake, overly affectionate boyfriend. The moment I kissed you she stopped dead in her tracks.”


When Yixing gets home Zitao is in his bedroom, reading a book with his headphones covering his hears. He lazily pushes as the younger male’s leg before taking a seat beside him.

“How was shopping with Kris-ge did he get you anything,” Zitao asks, sitting up to look at his cousin better.

“Nope,” Yixing answers with a grin.

“You need to learn how to do aegyo,” Zitao tells him. “He’s weak when it comes to that.”

“He told me,” Yixing says with a laugh. “We talked a lot Taozi.”

“Bout what?”

“I told him I was gay,” Yixing states suddenly.

“You did,” Zitao asks, “and what did he say?”

“He was shocked,” Yixing admits. “He was really shocked when I told him but he said he didn’t care who I liked.”

“Did he,” Zitao asks. “That’s good then. Was that all he said on the topic?”

“He said that I had to learn how to work my gay angle or whatever but yeah that’s about it, why?”

“Kris-ge is like me,” Zitao answers. “He likes boys too.”

“He does,” Yixing asks. “Why didn’t he tell me? I would have felt better if he told me.”

“He probably did it because he’s afraid to,” Zitao says. “Gege you’re pretty oblivious through, you really didn’t know?”

“He’s had girlfriends,” Yixing points out. “He always talks about girls. How was I supposed to know?”

“He loves a guy through,” Zitao states.

“Wait what,” Yixing asks, stares hard into Zitao’s eyes, trying to read them. “Huang Zitao what are you saying?”

“Kris-ge is more into girls than guys, but he’s in love with a guy.”

“Is it one-sided,” Yixing asks.

“It is,” Zitao confirms. “He’s so infatuated with this guy, it’s pretty sad especially since the guy doesn’t even know Kris-ge is into him.”

“That does sound sad,” Yixing admits. “Why do all my friends have such sad love stories? Taozi don’t you like Kris-ge?”

“What the…where did you get that idea from,” Zitao asks.

“You do,” Yixing admits. “Why don’t you say something?”

“Were you listening to me,” Zitao asks with an annoyed huff. “He’s in love with someone else and he only sees me as a younger brother.”

“He asked about you,” Yixing says. “When I got in his car he asked where you were and we talked about you a lot. You’re close to him, probably closer than that guy he likes. You just have to keep going, don’t give up Kris will fall for you soon.”

“You really are oblivious hyung,” Zitao tells him with a sigh. “I guess it’s not a bad thing sometimes.”



Kray for this chapter.Before I forget to tell you there are time skips within the story so don't be surprised if one second it's like February and then it's June (I wouldn't exactly do something as big as that though.) This is serously the fluffiest fanfic I've ever written.