Surprise Surprise

Best Kept Secret

Yixing has two bright green balloons tied to his left wrist like a tiny child afraid they’ll float away. In his right hand is a bouquet of yellow flowers wrapped in pale blue paper, and beside him on the cold damp glass sits his schoolbag.

Yixing hums to himself as his eyes stray to his cellphone to check the time. The loud instrumental ringtone catches him off guard and he hurriedly answers the phone.

“Where are you,” he hears and grins to himself.

“I’m near the playground,” Yixing answers with a tiny laugh. “I’m easy to spot, so hurry up okay.”

Yixing has to wait for about another minute before he sees who he’s waiting for and begins waving frantically.

“You look like a maniac,” he hears and grins even brighter despite the fact that he was just insulted.

“Is this the type of thanks I get,” Yixing retorts. “I go out of my way scouring all of Seoul for green balloons and these flowers and I get called a maniac. I even brought you a signed card. It’s a ‘congratulations on graduating’ card, with me leaving a deep sentimental message about how you’re the only same aged friend I have Kim Junmyeon.”

Junmyeon laughs and Yixing grins sticking out his left hand so that Junmyeon can undo the balloons. Junmyeon releases one from around Yixing’s wrist and takes the bouquet from the boy’s right hand. “You can keep that one,” Junmyeon tells him. Yixing frowns a little but doesn’t protest, instead he grabs the balloon now in Junmyeon’s hands and wraps it around the boy’s thin wrists.

“We can’t let it fly away yet,” Yixing tells him. “Then it’s a waste of money.” He then reaches for his bag and takes out the card with the cute puppies on the front that had nothing written inside before Yixing wrote his message. He hands it to Junmyeon and grins. “Don’t read that yet. We don’t need you getting emotional and crying in the middle of a park full of children.”

“Are you trying to say something,” Junmyeon asks, following after Yixing as the taller male begins to walk away.

“I have nothing to say about your crying Suho,” Yixing tells him. “I’m just warning you because I heard seven year olds can be pretty mean when it comes to giant crybabies.”

“D-Did you just call me a crybaby,” Junmyeon splutters.

“No,” Yixing answers, eyes wide as he gazes at Junmyeon in mock shock. “I was just assuming what the seven-year olds would think if they saw you. Everyone that cries is a crybaby for a seven-year old.” Junmyeon doesn’t look as if he believes him and Yixing bites the inside of his cheek to keep himself from laughing.

“Why green balloons,” Junmyeon asks when he catches up to Yixing.

“Because green’s your favorite color,” Yixing answers, “and I don’t really know what to do when people graduate. For Kris-ge’s graduation I just had to show up, and we had a special dinner for him.”

“Oh,” Junmyeon mutters. “I don’t think people normally give balloons though.”

“I like balloons,” Yixing states. “And this is a good excuse to buy some.”

Yixing walks Junmyeon all the way home but refuses to go inside with the new graduate, instead he grabs Junmyeon’s left wrist and moves in close to whisper secretively.

“Kai and I are going to celebrate our one-hundredth day soon.”

“You are,” Junmyeon asks, stepping away from Yixing, mouth slightly agape. “Kai agreed to celebrate it with you?”

“Why do you look so surprised,” Yixing asks. “That’s what couples do and Kai and I are sort a couple right?”

“I’ve never heard of a couple being sort of a couple.”

“Yeah well with Kai, I can’t help but be insecure about that,” Yixing mutters. He frowns when he realizes he’s getting off topic and looks up to meet Junmyeon’s concerned eyes. “So anyway, I asked Kai and we’re celebrating our one-hundredth day, and I need you to help me pick out a present.”

“You can’t ask Sehun,” Junmyeon asks. “He’s Kai’s best friend and the same age.”

“No I can’t,” Yixing answers quickly. “Because he’s… Kai’s best friend. It’s suspicious and Sehun doesn’t think like you. He’s still immature.”

“Okay,” Junmyeon states, eyebrows raised dramatically as he stares at Yixing. “When are we going?”

“Tomorrow,” Yixing answers brightly. “I’ll pick you up so be ready by 5.”

Yixing’s grin doesn’t slip off his face as he makes his way back home. Junmyeon was suspicious but not enough to question him too much. Yixing was sure that when tomorrow came he would easily be able to fool the boy for the few hours he had to spend searching for a fake present.

The next day Yixing wakes a little after noon, and spends the time looking for the perfect outfit to wear. He whines in the back of his throat because picking out clothes should never be this hard.

He does eventually find something decent to wear and when he’s dressed and ready he leaves his room. It’s Saturday and Yixing finds his cousin in front of the television watching some random children’s show with the volume low.

“Are you going somewhere special,” Zitao asks him, turning his attention away from the television to look Yixing up and down.

“Do I look like that,” Yixing asks with a small frown. He glances down at his clothes, worried that if he looks too dressed up Junmyeon might figure out that something’s definitely up.

“You look like you’re not going to spend today lazing around. I don’t think you get this dressed up unless you’re going out into Seoul. Where are you going?”

Yixing thinks over the question, wondering if he should tell his cousin the truth before deciding to answer. “I’m going shopping with my friend,” Yixing tells him. “We’re throwing him a surprise early birthday party so I’m in charge of distracting him.”

“Oh,” Zitao says. “You don’t look like you’re going to a party. I guess that’s good then, you wouldn’t want to be caught in the middle of it.”

Yixing thinks slowly. He wonders if he should say what he’s about to say but he does it anyway. There’s still a lot of tension between them and maybe it’ll fix things. “Tao I hope that the next birthday party we have you can attend.”

“I doubt that’ll happen,” Zitao retorts, a small frown on his lips as he turns back towards the television. “You’d have to introduce me first, and I’d have to like him and his friends. I doubt I will.”

Yixing frowns, and let’s an annoyed sigh slip pass his lips. He tells his cousin goodbye and leaves the house. Junmyeon is going to be the only one home, but he still doesn’t want to be late, nothing good will come if they leave Junmyeon alone to think for a long time.


“Kai’s not here,” Junmyeon tells him when he exits his house. Yixing looks towards the red brick house with mild confusion before mumbling a soft, “okay.”

“That’s it,” Junmyeon asks him. “You haven’t seen Kai in days, and all you can say is ‘okay’ shouldn’t you care a little bit more.”

“But Kai has a life outside of my own,” Yixing states. “Besides I saw him two days ago, we’ve been apart longer.”

Yixing ignores Junmyeon’s narrowed eyes as they walk down the street together. He just needs to keep him distracted for a couple of hours and then they can go to the venue. Honestly, things were still a bit tense with Kai, they weren’t fighting, but things were still a bit awkward.

We should go to one of those traditional markets,” Yixing says.

“I thought we were getting Kai an anniversary present,” Junmyeon states. “Why are we going there?”

“There’s food,” Yixing states. “And there are a lot of shops we can bargain in. Plus I’ve never been to one before.”

“Since it’s your 100 days shouldn’t you just get a couples’ ring,” Junmyeon asks.

Yixing looks up from the text messaged he’d just sent Luhan to the boy beside him. “Don’t you do that for girls? Kai doesn’t really wear jewelry; I don’t want to get him something he wouldn’t like.”

“ He doesn’t wear jewelry, because he doesn’t own any,” Junmyeon explains. “If you brought him a ring he’d wear it and that’s like the universal sign that someone’s taken. If he’s wearing your ring than people are less likely to hit on him.”

“Do you think that would really make a difference,” Yixing asks.

“Honestly I don't know,” Junmyeon states. “But It's worth it. If you can find anything else then maybe you should think about a ring.” Yixing nods his head thoughtfully as a silence overtakes them.


They go to Namdemun Market because it’s close to Yixing’s final destination and has so many shops in the area that it doesn’t look the least bit suspicious. Yixing’s not sure when the shopping changes from a possible gift for Kai to them just finding things their interested in and eating snack foods from street vendors but it does. By the time they leave they each have a bag filled with things that neither really needed, and a stomach filled with bargain treats.

“I hope you have something for Kai in there,” Junmyeon tells him as they head down the street. Yixing’s so focused on mentally celebrating having successfully distracting Junmyeon that he has to pause in his steps in look down at his bag.

“I’m sure there’s something,” Yixing says. In the bag isn’t really anything for Yixing. There’s a birthday present for Junmyeon for when they celebrate on the actual date, and there’s something he thought Jongdae would like so he just had to buy it even if he wouldn’t give it to the boy. Maybe he had picked out something that he thought Kai would like, Yixing was still a little iffy about giving Kai presents though.

Kai was so self-sufficient; Yixing couldn’t help but feel like anything he got the boy would be too childish or useless. Maybe in China he’d find something that he just had to get for Kai, regardless of rather the boy would actually use it or not.

“Where are we going,” Junmyeon finally asks, when they’re a block away from the venue. The train station was the opposite direction, and Yixing knew it was only a matter of time before Junmyeon asked questions. He was ready though, he wasn’t going to ruin something so well put together just because he couldn’t answer such a simple question.

“We’re going to meet us with Sulli,” Yixing answers. “She texted me and said that her and a friend were nearby. She said I definitely have to bring you.”

“Is it Luna,” Junmyeon asks. “She’s always trying to set me up with her friends, Luna’s the latest victim.”

“I don’t know any of her friends,” Yixing states. “She didn’t give a name either.”

They pause in front of the place; it’s a lounge that belongs to the uncle of Sulli’s friend Krystal. There was to be no alcohol because half of the party goers were underage and so was Junmyeon, but when Sulli had explained everything she made sure to tell everyone to ignore that rule.

“Krystal’s uncle owns this place,” Suho states, following Yixing into the place. There’s a loud chorus of surprise as soon as they enter, and Yixing tears his eyes away from the neon lights of the room, to see Junmyeon’s face.

Krystal, Sulli, and the guys all come up to them just as the white luminescent lights die and the neon lights begin to glow. Music plays over the speakers but it’s low enough for them to talk comfortably without screaming at each other.

“What do you think,” Krystal asks, passing the a clear glass to Junmyeon. Yixing feels an arm around his shoulder and looks towards Kai as the younger passes him his own drink.

“It’s water,” Kai reassures him and Yixing turns back to listening to Krystal.

“The hottest hang out spot for all young adults in Seoul has been rented out for you, Kim Junmyeon.”

“Why,” Junmyeon asks.

“Your birthday silly,” Sulli tells him. “It was mine and Luhan-oppa’s idea. We figured that a surprise birthday party would be more of a surprise when you’re least expecting it. No one expects a birthday party days before their birthday.”

Yixing watches as Junmyeon eyes widen considerably, and with his mouth slightly agape he looks around place packed with people just to celebrate Jumnyeon’s birthday. Junmyeon glances at each of them, eyes lingering as he tries to express his gratitude to each person.

Yixing feels accomplished, he feels happy that he was able to help with Junmyeon’s surprise party.  He’s happy that such a look of pure happiness and gratitude is directed towards him, and he grins brightly even as Kai lures him away, deeper into the crowd of people, asking him to dance in the demure, uncertain tone of voice he tries to shield from Yixing.

Yixing nods his head; he’s a little uncomfortable because even though people aren't staring as badly as they were at Sehun and Luhan’s party, their eyes still lingered on him. Yixing doesn’t like the idea of people staring as he dances but he’ll ignore them for Kai.

Eventually when the looks get too much, and Yixing becomes tired of quietly standing at the side while people approached Kai, he decides to go off and find Junmyeon. He hopes Junmyeon is enjoying himself. The whole party was created with him in mind and if he wasn’t having fun then the party was pointless.

Yixing searches around the place, eyes squinting as he attempts to peer through the masses of people. He finally locates Junmyeon; pass the couches, near one of the tall deeply tinted windows. He hurries over a grin on his lips as he nears his friend.

“You were surprised weren’t you,” Yixing asks with a grin on his lips. “This was really shocking right? You never expected it.”

“I suspected something,” Junmyeon tells him. “You were acting strange since yesterday. Now I know why.”

Yixing’s grin broadens. “Do you like it,” he asks excitedly. “What about my card, did you read it? Did it make you cry?”

Junmyeon hits his shoulder softly. “Friends of the same age huh,” he says pensively.  Yixing frowns.

“You don’t seem happy,” Yixing tells him, while Junmyeon casts another glance towards the crowds of people. “The guys, they wanted to celebrate on your birthday by themselves. They have things planned out.”

Junmyeon’s lips drop down into a frown and Yixing puffs his cheeks slightly, upset that Junmyeon’s upset. “Why aren’t you happy Kim Junmyeon?”

Junmyeon turns towards him and stares, eyes unwavering. Yixing stares back at him, shifting from foot to foot waiting for Junmyeon to say something. Eventually he glances pass the boy; he lets his eyes wander around the lounge as he awaits a response. There are so many people and Yixing’s sure Junmyeon doesn’t know all of them. They’re probably friends of friends, strangers and acquaintances to the guest of honor.

Junmyeon grabs his shoulder, drawing his attention away from the crowd and back to the boy in front of him. Junmyeon’s eyebrows knit together and his eyes are narrow as he peers imploringly into Yixing’s eyes. Yixing wants to tell him that it’s okay, Junmyeon can confide in him, Yixing has confided in him multiple times, so it’s only fair.

He doesn’t get to say that though, because moments later, the time seems to freeze as soft lips are pressed gently against his own. Yixing is frozen. He doesn’t kiss Junmyeon back, but he doesn’t push him away either. He stands there, allowing Junmyeon to kiss him, while his mind ties to come up with logical reasons as to why Junmyeon is kissing him.

Junmyeon pulls away, and Yixing blinks slowly. The neon lights splay across Junmyeon’s face, the blue, green, and pink taking turns to cast a faint glow against his pale skin.

“Do you like me,” Yixing asks softly, looking at Junmyeon curiously. His heart is beating fast in panic, and his voice trembles just slightly. Junmyeon shifts uncomfortably as his eyes dart around the venue. Yixing bites the inside of his cheek to keep himself from frowning, he figures it’s a bit too late to worry about whether or not anyone as seen them even though deep down he hopes that no one has seen them.

“Not like that,” Junmyeon finally says. His eyes shine with remorse and maybe a bit of fear as he gazes at Yixing.

“Then why did you kiss me,” Yixing asks next, because it just doesn’t make sense. There’s no logical reason behind it if Junmyeon doesn’t like him.

“I’m sorry,” Junmyeon mutters. “Can you…Can you not tell Kai about this?” Yixing nods his head even though Junmyeon hasn’t exactly given him the answers to his question. He can’t tell Kai even if he wanted to, there was already so much wrong with them, and this thing, this kiss might push them over the edge.

Junmyeon then mumbles a bit more, words so soft they get drowned out by the music as soon as they leave his lips. Yixing frowns, he opens his mouth ready to say something but then Junmyeon’s walking hurriedly away.

Yixing watches him leave. He’s thoughts are jumbled because he just doesn’t understand. He eyes sweep across the crowd when Junmyeon disappears from view. He’s close to letting out a sigh of relief when he sees that no one had been paying attention, but then his attention is caught by Kim Jongdae staring directly at him.

Yixing freezes, his eyes flicker from Jongdae’s intense gaze, to the person beside his friend. In his mind he’s slightly thankful that it’s not someone like Luhan that had caught his attention. Yixing can only guess what Luhan would do if he saw Junmyeon kiss him, and most of those guesses are not really great to begin with.

His blood still runs cold, and his heart beats wildly as he stares at Jongdae. Jongdae’s lips are pulled into a tiny frown, and his eyes are wide with blatant disappointment as he gazes at Yixing. Yixing feels like his brain has begun to short-circuit, he wants to explain things, wants to tell Jongdae it’s not what it appears to be but he’s not exactly sure how to. The words come to his mind, and hang loosely on tongue, as he just stares back at his friend, lost between moving forward and standing there.

The person beside Jongdae, Luhan’s co-worker, pulls at Jongdae’s hand, drawing the boy’s attention away from Yixing. Yixing watches as Kim Minseok smiles broadly at Jongdae, lips moving, forming words Yixing can’t hear.

Things start to fall in to place in Yixing’s mind as he watches as Jongdae lets Minseok drag him away, their hands interlaced and Jongdae smiling slightly after the older boy.

Yixing feels overwhelmed, his mind can’t process anything else and he doesn’t want to, so with slow unsure steps he finds his way back to Kai. It’s terrible, Yixing’s glad that when he finds Kai he looks just as exhausted as Yixing feels. Yixing ignores the group of strangers Kai’s amongst and fits himself into Kai’s side.

“I want to go home,” he mumbles softly, letting his head fall against Kai’s shoulder. He feels Kai tense under him and he convinces himself that he’s too exhausted to care about Kai’s discomfort towards any form of public affection.


The ride back home is silent. Neither of them are speaking and Yixing figures it’s not too bad, Kai’s a quiet kid, and Yixing has way too much on his mind to actually try to hold a conversation.

Home isn’t Yixing’s mother’s house, it’s Kai’s bedroom at the moment.  They’re pass the point of awkwardness when it comes to how dressed or undressed they are, so Yixing hurriedly takes off most of his clothes before wrapping himself in Kai’s bed sheets.

“Are you okay,” Yixing hears Kai asks, just as the boy turns the room’s lights off.

“Mmhmm,” Yixing confirms. “I’m just…tired I guess.” He rolls around underneath the covers, doing his best to get comfortable just as Kai says something. It’s something about Junmyeon and Yixing freezes. He’s not sure what Kai says but all his thoughts go back to Junmyeon kissing him and the possibility that Kai could have very well seen it.

“Yeah,” Yixing mutters unsurely. Kai couldn’t have seen Junmyeon kiss him; if he did he would say something. Kai must have asked him about how he spent the day with Junmyeon, and if he had fun. “We…uh…had lots of fun. We went to Namdemun Market; we should go together one day.”

Kai’s quiet, and Yixing doesn’t think too much of it, sleep has begun to creep into his bones and Yixing just figures they’ll talk tomorrow, when Yixing finally figures out how to not be guilty for something he hadn’t done.

“You’re really sleepy huh,” Kai asks and Yixing nods his head even though it’s dark. “You can go to sleep then. We can talk tomorrow if you want.”



I had to change the graduation date from February to May in this so that it could work out for my story. Anyway I want to thank you guys once more for sticking with this and commenting even though I'm utterly forgetful and can't even remember to reply to your comments a lot of the time. We're really close to hitting the halfway mark for this guys!