Them and Us

Best Kept Secret

Zitao’s acting weird, so is Jongdae, but Zitao’s the weirdest. Yixing thinks it has something to do with Kris, he just isn’t sure what it’s about. Zitao’s strange behavior started at the music fest at Club Virgo.

Kai had forced him to go ahead and when Yixing headed back to the club he had spotted Kris and Zitao having a heated discussion over the loud music of the final band for the night. When Yixing asked about it, Zitao had said it was nothing, but apparently it was more than nothing.

Yixing wants to believe that it has something to do with Kris, because that’s the person Zitao was talking to before the change occurred, but the problem with that theory is that Zitao only seems to act strange around him.

He stares at him, sometimes glares, unwavering and angry and Yixing can’t even begin to understand why.

Jongdae too had been acting strange ever since that day at the club. He would sometimes stare at Yixing with an unreadable expression in his eyes, but the thing that really made Yixing realize that he was acting weird was that he was a lot quieter than normal. On Monday, Yixing and Amber had repeatedly tried to get Jongdae to join their conversation; they were talking about Club Virgo and Jongdae’s favorite band. The younger had only contributed a few words before leaving the cafeteria, a deep frown etched into his features.

Yixing leans against the building’s wall, hugging his legs close to his chest as he listens to music. He’s annoyed, because everyone’s treating him like he’s done something wrong and no one want to clue him in on what he could have possibly done.

He doesn’t hear the rooftop door open, but he does feel a change in the air around him that tells him he’s not alone anymore, and Yixing finds himself turning his head and coming face to face with Kai.

“You really like it up here huh,” Kai asks, as he rests his back against the wall, taking the earphone Yixing offers him. “Winter and rooftops?”

“Winter, rooftops, and parks,” Yixing states.

“Why are you here, and why do you look so upset,” Kai asks, next.

“Can you just sense when I’m upset,” Yixing asks jokingly. “My friends are mad at me and it’s making me annoyed.”

“Duh,” Kai states, “I have special Zhang Yixing sensors; I can tell when you’re happy, mad, or sad. So why are you upset? Was someone mean to you?”

“No,” Yixing answers indignantly, pouting slightly at being treated like a child.“ My cousin and my friend Jongdae are acting strange, and they won’t tell me what I’ve done so I don’t know how to fix it.”

“Maybe they’re not telling you because it’s not your fault.”

“If it’s not my fault why are they taking it out on me,” Yixing asks with a huff.

“Because you seem happier than them” Kai guesses. “Did you possibly tell them about me and the others?”

Yixing freezes and turns towards the younger male, eyes widening as he stares at Kai with worry crossing his features. Kai’s not looking at him, his eyes are on the ground and his fingers are holding his lighter, letting the flame flicker and disappear repeatedly. “Was I supposed to?”

Yixing starts to think that was the wrong thing to say when Kai’s eyes widen and stray over to him before dropping back to the ground. He honestly didn’t know if he was supposed to or not. He didn’t know what Kai wanted, he always seemed so worried about them being caught that it made Yixing afraid of telling his friends.

“No,” Kai tells him. “You can tell them whenever you feel most comfortable. I’m not bothered.” He then smiles, putting the lighter back in his jacket pocket. “I was worried that I was the reason your friends was upset. Do you think they saw us, that night?”

“No,” Yixing tells him. “Zitao wasn’t there and Jongdae couldn’t have seen us. Even if he did see us he’d tell me he saw us, they both would. I think what you said before was right. They’re just being silly and taking their anger out on me because I have you and everyone else.”

“Then there’s nothing you can do about it so stop worrying.”

“I’ll stop worrying if I was distracted. You want to distract me Kai?”

 Kai grins, his typical grin and Yixing smiles to himself, glad that he’d help uplift the younger’s mood. “And how should I do that,” Kai mutters against his lips, Kai’s eyes are closed, and Yixing’s eyes are nearly crossing as he tries to look at the younger so he closes his eyes and presses a light kiss to the younger’s lips before moving back and grinning.

“Dance for me.”

“Right here, right now?” Kai is sitting back against the wall, and Yixing reaches his  hand out to play with the younger’s bangs. He can’t help but to enraptured by the lazily styled hair that always falls into Kai’s eyes.

“You promised me,” Yixing tells him. “You said the day after but you didn’t so do it right now.”

Kai nods his head and grabs Yixing’s cellphone, pulling the earphones’ cord out. He silently hums as he stares down at the phone, fingers tapping against his thigh as he moves out of Yixing’s way every time the Chinese male tries to see what he’s doing. He stands next and hands Yixing the phone, a confident smirk on his lips.

Yixing expected something slower, maybe a modern dance routine to a ballad song, but the song that comes out of his phone has a beat that makes the speakers crackle as it drums quickly. Yixing doesn’t linger on the song for too long because he’s more impressed with the way Kai moves to the flawed music.

Kai moves are precise and graceful despite the power and briskness of the routine. He moves confidently and sharply and Yixing finds himself falling even more in love with the way his eyes shine while he’s dancing. Kai loves it, and Yixing can tell.

Kai finishes, chest rising and falling quickly, as Yixing claps clumsily, nearly dropping his phone. “Yeah,” Yixing cheers cupping his hands around his mouth like Kai’s on a stage and he’s just one in a crowd of thousands “Whoa, you were amazing.”

“Stop it,” Kai tells him, pushing him gently as he sits back down.

“But that was awesome Kai; I’m honestly star-struck, you were better than any idol I’ve ever seen.” When Yixing notices the pink on Kai’s cheeks he can’t help but to grin brighter as he leans into the younger, holding his shirt, and pressing a tiny kiss to the boy’s shoulder before resting his head on the same spot. “Why are you so cool?”

Kai pulls him over and Yixing straddles his lap, fingers playing with the hair at the nape of his neck.

“You said you could dance right,” Kai asks him, hands reaching under Yixing’s uniform shirt and Yixing’s glad that he can never keep it tucked in for long.

“Not like you,” Yixing mutters into his neck. “You’re a prodigy.”

“You have to show me,” Kai tells him, and it takes a second for Yixing to realize that he’d never stop the music on his phone, and now a different song is playing.

“Not now,” Yixing states, pulling away to gaze down at Kai. He’s leaning and kissing him, and all the tension that was trapped in Yixing’s shoulders for the past few days, eases away as they kiss. The song in the background isn’t slow nor is it romantic, it’s just as fast the song Kai was dancing with, but that’s okay. They can barely hear it as they get lost in the kiss.


It’s supposedly the day after Luhan and Sehun’s anniversary when they have their party. Their birthdays are enough days apart that they could have had two parties if they wanted but Yixing was told that neither wanted more than one party.

Sehun’s birthday was celebrated with everyone that lived in the house and Yixing; it was like a normal day of movie watching just with the inclusion of gifts giving. Luhan’s birthday planned to be the same.

The party is small; it’s a party for the attendants not the people celebrating their birthdays so it’s no big deal.  Yixing’s introduced to people he’s never met, and familiar faces like Sulli’s friends. Half the people have fake names and Yixing can’t help but wonder if that’s because their real name had an S sound or if they just think fake names are cooler.

Everyone refers to him as Kai’s guy even though Yixing hadn’t even talked to Kai through the whole duration of the party.

“You seem upset,” Sulli tells him, as she sits beside him, her friends Luna and Krystal talking to Sehun and Luhan. “Is it because Kai’s ignoring you?”

“Oh Kai’s ignoring me,” Yixing asks sarcastically wanting to roll his eyes.

“Don’t be upset,” She tells him. “Kai, he isn’t one for PDA. He doesn’t even like parties, even if this party is small.” He looks around the room, at familiar and unfamiliar faces and turns back to Sulli.

“I guess,” He mutters. “I’m not upset, it’s just, I’m Kai’s guy and it feels like that’s all everyone cares about.”

“It is,” Sulli states, “Sorry Lay-oppa, you’re nice and everything but Kai hasn’t dated.”

“Would Suho get it this bad,” Yixing asks as he looks over to where the older was talking to Minseok. “He hasn’t really dated either has he?”

“Suho-oppa wouldn’t get it this bad, no one would unless their name was Kai. He has an aura that draws people to him, makes him interesting and now that someone gets to see what’s behind the mask it’s something that we can’t help but marvel at.”

“Whatever,” Yixing sighs.

“Lay-oppa do you want a big party, if you want a big party then you should wait till Suho-oppa’s birthday. He’s not much of a party animal but he knows a lot of people and they tend to come out once a year for Suho-oppa’s party. Krystal’s uncle is providing the venue for it.”

“Sounds fun,” Yixing mutters, his eyes drift to Kai, and watching as he leaves the living room, and begins to climb the stairs.

“You should follow him if you feel so neglected,” Sulli tells him, pushing him out of his seat.

Yixing takes Sulli’s advice and quickly follows the younger male to his room.


“Sulli says you don’t like parties,” Yixing states when he enters the room, Kai’s lying in the middle of his bed, so Yixing sits on the loveseat, fidgeting to get himself comfortable. “She said Suho’s birthday party will be bigger, what are you going to do then?”

“I don’t dislike parties,” Kai states. “I just don’t like interacting with people at them, they all know a different me, and it gets frustrating to keep track of what me I’m supposed to be for whom.”

“Then be the real you,” Yixing tells him. “They either or love it or hate it, and if they hate the real you then they never really mattered.”

“That’s easier said than done,” Kai retorts, and Yixing bites his lip at the tone. “I don’t know the real me. I didn’t have people cooing over my crib with a child. No one reminds who you are, no one’s there saying ‘that’s not the child I raised’ because if you get adopted you change, your name changes and a lot of times your personality changes too. I’m like a chameleon with no default skin, I don’t have a real me.”

“Then the person I see right now,” Yixing asks. “Who are you?”

“I’m Kai,” he turns towards Yixing and beckons him over. “I’m your Kai.”

“Why are you mine,” Yixing asks sitting beside Kai. “Why do you like me?”

“Because you’re cute,” Kai answers sitting up. Yixing snorts and pushes the younger back.

“Is that seriously the only reason you like me,” Yixing asks.

“No,” Kai replies, “but it’s the main reason, everything else are just reasons why I think you’re cute.”

“Like what,” Yixing asks a faint grin making it’s way to his lips. He understood what Kai meant, and what Kris meant that one time. Dating someone because they were cute wasn’t a crime. Kai was cute to Yixing and apparently he was cute to Kai, and that had to be the best compliment he’d ever heard even though it might not have seemed much to someone else.

Liking someone because they were nice and cute was a legitimate enough reason. It was all it needed to be. Everyone could be cute and nice in their lover’s eyes even if they were completely evil before their morning coffee and had scary bedhead. That was probably what made them cute.

“You really want me to say it,” Kai asks, and Yixing can’t help but let his grin broaden, it was always him becoming flustered, so it was nice when he could turn the tables.

“Just one example,” Yixing tells him. “What’s a reason I’m cute in your eyes. If you don’t explain well then I’ll just assume you like me because I have a nice face.”

“You do,” Kai states, “you have a nice face, and a cute dimple. You’re really good-looking but that’s only a part of the reason why you’re so cute to me. I think flustered you and sleep you is the cutest though.”

“That’s good to know,” Yixing says with a laugh before getting serious again. “Kai…why am I here?”

“Because you chose to be,” Kai tells him.

“I know but why did you ask me? I’m pretty sure you didn’t wake up one day and decide you liked me. When did you even start liking me?”

“Do you believe in love at first sight,” Kai asks.

“No,” Yixing answers honestly and Kai laughs.

“I don’t either but I believe in fate, I guess. All the people I care about came into my life because of fate even if it isn’t necessarily a good thing,” Kai states, “I didn’t fall in love with you when I first saw you, but you kept staring and I wanted to know who the guy that didn’t turn away from me or stare at me with hatred was. Then you almost got hit by a car and I figured it was fate.”

“You came to me though,” Yixing states, “You saw me twice and then came to me. How is that fate?”

“I believe in a fate that gives you chances and opportunities, you either act upon them or you ignore them. Your future, your fate, is constantly changing. You met Luhan and Sehun and they told me and I just thought why not try to see you again. If you were on that rooftop then it was fate. If you weren’t then we would have met later.”

“So we would have met either way,” Yixing asks. “When did you start liking me?”

“I don’t know,” Kai answers. “There really wasn’t a definitive moment for me. I just liked you. You’re the first person I kissed you know?”

Yixing narrows his eyes at that statement, and hits the younger a second time. “Are you sure about that,” he asks.

Kai laughs, and sits up with a smile. “You’re the first person I ever initiated a kiss with. I’ve kissed a lot of people but you’re the only one that I wanted to kiss.”

“You’ve done other things with people right,” Yixing asks.

“I have,” Kai answers.

“How do you do it,” Yixing questions, “how do you do things like that without emotion attached to it?”

“I was curious,” Kai says, “Curiosity and an attractive person can be enough if you really want it to be.”

“I’m curious,” Yixing mutters to himself



THis is a few days late I guess. Anyway I'm going on spring break soon which means a week of me watching television and writing fanfiction and doing some homework probably.