Be Careful

Best Kept Secret

Yixing hated Mondays, he held contempt for nearly each day of the week but Monday had the blunt end of the stick. Mondays reminded him that he didn’t do anything all weekend, that he had nothing to look forward to for the rest of the week except for real and fake library visits. Mondays were the worse days because they reminded him that he was wasting his youth away.

“Kris-ge is picking us up after school,” Zitao tells him when they're walking to school. The school isn't really far from their home so they had no real need to take public transportation, even though they occasionally used it on colder days.

“Why,” Yixing asks, even though he was annoyed by Kris most days it didn’t mean that he didn’t think of the older male as a friend, nor did it mean he minded being picked up in the older male’s Hyundai Elentra that he brought when he got his license. It wasn’t a new car, Kris had got it from a friend of his mom’s for a cheap price, but it was a car, and Yixing found it cool nevertheless, with its leather interior and sleek dashboard. Yixing’s sure it could have been a rusted tin tub with wheels, and he’s still find it cool.

“To get ice-cream,” Zitao tells him. “Grades for that practice test we had to do are out so Kris-ge is taking us to celebrate.”

“That was a first year thing though,” Yixing tells him. “and you don’t even know you’re score.”

“So,” Zitao says. “If I did good, we celebrate, if I did bad, Kris-ge will still buy me an ice-cream sundae and volunteer to tutor me.”

“And why am I invited on your date,” Yixing asks, ignoring the glare Zitao shoots him.

“It’s Monday, and you have nothing better to do than sit around and draw pictures in your notebook. Besides you love Kris-ge’s car, and if you keep backing out on going out with us, Kris-ge is going to start thinking you’re avoiding him.”

“Fine,” Yixing huffs, a grin working its way to his lips, “I hope Kris-ge got his paycheck. He’s paying for my ice-cream too.”


During lunch Yixing normally hangs out with Kim Jongdae, and Amber Liu. Zitao is still in class when Yixing’s lunch period occurs, and Kim Jongdae is the closest friend he has at school. Yixing likes Kim Jongdae because they’re close in height, Zitao shot pass him a year or so ago, and his wushu training turned him from a lanky giant to a slightly muscular man. Jongdae was a bit over 170cm with pretty thin arms and legs, and didn’t look like he would grow any taller.

Jongdae knew Yixing was a year older than the rest of the second years but he didn’t care, sure he made light jokes about it but that was his personality, and Yixing liked him because of it. Jongdae, and Amber with her short light brown, were the least judgmental of all the people in his school.

Jongdae used to be childhood friends and neighbors with Junmyeon, apparently someone may have moved or something similar to that happened. Yixing doesn’t remember the story he just knows that they aren’t friends anymore. Jongdae and Amber are the friends that he hangs out with in school. For the 40 minutes of lunch they sit together talking about nonsense, and after school ends, they don’t think about much each other till the next day. They lived in different areas so visiting each other was a bit inconvienent.

Amber leaves first; she has to meet with a teacher about something, so she bids the pair of boys a mumbled “see ya,” and walks out of the cafeteria first, eating her apple.

“I talked to Junmyeon-hyung earlier today,” Jongdae tells him. Yixing looks up from the remaining of his food, to watch Jongdae.

“Is everything okay,” he asks hesitantly.

“Hyung told me to tell you something,” Jongdae says,

“Me,” Yixing asks, confusion causing him to furrow his eyebrows and narrow his eyes to the empty space between their lunches. It takes him a second to figure out just why Kim Junmyeon might talk to Jongdae about him.

“He said to be careful,” Jongdae tells him. “Why does he want you to be careful?”

Yixing blinks stupidly for a second because he expected a bit more than a be careful from Junmyeon, maybe “stay away from us,” but definitely not a be careful.

“Yesterday, I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going and I almost walked in front of a car.” Yixing answers slowly. “One of the guys…I think his name was Kai, stopped me from nearly killing myself.”

Jongdae frowns at Yixing's explanation before speaking, “I don’t know who’s who in that group but even if that one guy helped you, you should still stay away from them, all of them.” Yixing finds it ironic that Jongdae’s telling him to stay away when he’s the childhood friend that doesn’t seem to have let go.

“Why,” Yixing asks.

“Besides the obvious reasons,” Jongdae retorts, a frown making its way to his lips. “They’re pretty exclusive. There have been people who have tried to join them because of whatever reason, but they were never really into letting other people join them. It’s been those five together since forever.”

“Okay,” Yixing shrugs. “Hanging out with them wasn’t in my one hundred things to do before I die list anyway.”

“Good,” Jongdae states. “I like having you as a friend.”


Zitao’s ice-cream had enormous rainbow sprinkles on it with chocolate sauce and extra whip cream. The first bite he took had him softly in delight and Yixing wondering if he should take him to see a dentist or a physician. There was no possible way all that sugar could be healthy.

Yixing eyes turned away from Zitao’s stomach ache inducing ice-cream sundae, to Kris’ Rocky Road and his own vanilla.

“Do you have a girlfriend yet,” he hears and looks up to Zitao before turning towards Kris who’s gazing him as he eats small spoonfuls of ice cream.

“Me,” Yixing asks.

“Tao already told me he’s single so yeah you,” Kris says.

“Oh,” Yixing mutters. “I’m not dating. I don’t have anyone. Why do you want to know?”

“You’re young,” Kris says. “I bet you haven’t even had your first kiss yet.”

“He hasn’t,” Zitao says, speaking around the spoon shoved into his mouth. “Yixing-ge hasn’t dated ever. I don’t think he’ll ever date.”

“Why do you say that,” Yixing asks, frowning at his cousin.

“You’ll make your girlfriend cry, or you’ll bore her to the point where she’ll just dump you.”

“Whatever,” Yixing huffs, “I don’t want to date anyway.”

“Why not,” Kris asks, raising one of his eyebrows.

“Dating’s too complicated and if I ever got a girlfriend, my mom would just nag me to introduce her, and then if she doesn’t like her, she’ll tell me all the things she dislikes about her. Besides, girls are kinda annoying.”

“You’re only saying that because you haven’t dated yet,” Kris says. Yixing doesn’t reply, instead he stabs his spoon into the melting vanilla ice-cream, a glare on his features because no, he’s not saying that just because he doesn’t have a girlfriend. If Yixing wanted to date he could have, there were girls that liked him for whatever reason and they would jump at the chance to date him. They just weren’t his type.


Kris drives them home, and Yixing uses the time to silently observe the older male. Kris is a ladies magnet, taller than the most, with blond hair and a face like a male model’s. Even his voice was attractive.  “What are you looking at,” he hears, snapping him out of his thoughts.

“You’re really attractive,” Yixing compliments the older male.

“Thanks,” Kris tells him grinning. “You’re pretty good-looking yourself.”

“Do you have a girlfriend,” Zitao asks, from his place in the backseat.

“I used to,” Kris tells him, a small smirk making its way to his lips.

“Used to,” Yixing repeats. “What she dump you for keeping her a secret?”

“No,” Kris states. “I broke up with her because she was keeping me secret?”

“Are you serious,” Zitao asks, leaning forward to look at Kris’s face.

“Sit back and put your seatbelt on,” Kris tells him, glaring at Zitao through the rearview mirror. “She said her dad was pretty strict, so we had to keep it secret.  I mean I didn’t really care but her mom’s kind of like yours–Yixing, she would constantly introduce her to other guys, so I dumped her.”

“That ,” Zitao mutters, and Yixing can’t help but to nod in agreement.

“I don’t really care,” Kris states. “I mean I wasn’t like planning our wedding or anything, she was cute and kind of nice so I thought why not.”

“So as long as a girl’s cute and nice, you’ll date her,” Yixing asks, a frown on his lips. He’s never dated but he’s pretty sure relationships are supposed to be deeper than that. What if they didn’t have anything in common, or what if she was like a mass murderer or something.

“I’m still young,” Kris states. “What’s the point of seriously dating someone at this age? I’m not really looking for my future wife in any of the girls I date it’s just about experience. I don’t want to totally commit myself to someone and start fantasying about how relationships will be with other people.”

“That’s really smart Kris-ge,” Zitao states. Yixing rolls his eyes because he’s pretty sure that if Kris gave him a cup filled with water and told him it was wine, he’d believe it without a doubt. When Kris brings them back to Yixing’s house, he bids the pair goodbye, saying that he has to get to work, so he can come in and visit Yixing’s mother.

“Tell Auntie I said hi,” Kris tells Yixing. Yixing eyes him but nods anyway, Kris is that type, if he can’t go in and give brief greetings then he’ll want Yixing to. Yixing didn’t think it mattered through, his mother didn’t necessarily know that they were together so she wouldn’t care rather or not he came in with a greeting from Kris. At least that’s what Yixing thinks.



Okay I kind of didn't tell you guys ages and stuff since this is a high school AU I had to alter ages and what not. Tao, Kai and Sehun are all around the age of sixteen (Tao's a first year). Kyungsoo(hasn't appeared yet), Jongdae, and all other 92ers and early 93ers are around seventeen and second years if they go to school. Lay and Suho are 18, Suho is a third year and Lay isn't. Finally Luhan and Kris are 19.