Take Eighteen

Because we met [EDITED]

I offered to drive him to Incheon airport. There was nothing but silence during the journey. It was awkward.

"So...I'm going now," he said as I walked him to the section of his flight. "I finished paying of the rent of my--no your house so you don't have to worry, okay?"

"Thank you." I bowed, 90 degrees, really thankful. He just hugged me. Tears threatened to spill as I held back the lump forming in my throat. It was hard holding in those tears. It felt like my heart was shredded into pieces.

"I'm going then.." he turned.

Don't say goodbye...

"Goodbye, thanks for being a great housemate," he smiled for the last time. My heart was begging me to shout 'I love you' but my mouth was zipped tight. Within a few steps, he disappeared out of my sight. I ran back towards the car and tears came rushing like a wave.

Annyeong...Myungsoo.


When I reached home, I realized that I had forgotten to ask him about the password. I stood in front of the door,placing my head onto it, thinking...

I tried typing his name and birth date but it didn't work. Then I tried my name for no reason, the door still wouldn't budge. I thought for a while, then punched in 1-7-0-7-1-9-9-2, my birth date and the door unlocked. I was surprised. I ended up changing the password into his name, KimMyungSoo.

Yes, it was cold and empty. Myungsoo is gone and I have to accept it, whether I liked it or not.


 


 

At night as I prepared to sleep, I noticed an envelop lying on the pillow with my name on it. I opened it and found a letter, it wrote:

# Jihye, thank you for everything. I'm sorry to leave without telling you earlier. Thanks for understanding my pain.

I've finally made my mind to tell you my feelings.

Go and open the closet, I have something for you.

By the way, Happy Birthday!

From: Myungsoo #

I had totally forgotten that today was July 17th, my own birthday.

I rushed to the closet and opened it.

"I'm sorry! Thank you! Happy Birthday! I love you!"

These words were written nicely like a poster. There was a huge white teddy bear sitting there, as if it was waiting for my arrival. Next to the teddy bear was a heart shape made with rose petals. At that moment, I realized he had loved me all along. I regretted...I regret not telling him how I feel about him, not telling him that I loved him too. And now, it's too late. He won't be coming back anymore. I was the idiot all along...I regret...for being a coward.

But out of so many days, why'd he leave today? On my birthday...

I fell to my knees, wailing in pain. "Kim Myungsoo! I HATE YOU! Why?! Why'd you have to leave on my birthday?!"