Take One

Because we met [EDITED]

"Serve this to table 2," Haeri instructed.

I took over the tray filled with fruit punch and rushed to table 2, plastering a smile on my face. Just a typical busy Saturday, where customers pile up in the cafe and make us staffs work like crazy. Carrying ordered food, serving them, washing the dishes, cleaning up, giving the bill... It's already a normal routine for me, considering that it is my part time job. 'Sweet & Carefree', that's the cafe's name. I often wondered why Haeri (the manager) chose this name for the cafe. Well, perhaps the atmosphere makes customers feel carefree and...sweet? It's actually a simple and nice cafe though, interior painted with soft colors like pastel blue and green plus a hint of pink, menus written on a blackboard and hung up the wall while white tables and chairs filled the space.

I come here everyday after school without fail, and on Saturdays as well. I live in an apartment nearby so this is the best place I can work at to settle my rent. I'm the introvert type of person, and I really detest mixing around with friends that rave over the trends and fashion nowadays. I mean, come on, they go over and over it for the whole day, don't they have something else to talk about? Make ups, shoes, jeweleries, phones, popularity... It's just a waste of time, so not my style. I'd rather mix around with nerdy people more than popular ones cause all they do is just talk, talk, and talk. And these kind of people tend to be dramatic, another thing I dislike as well. Walking into the staff area, I decided to take a 5 minute break. Just as I sat on one of the chairs available to massage my sore foot, my phone vibrated in my pocket.

From: Jongie 1:15pm

Free? Or working in the cafe? >.<''


 

I smiled to myself. Sungjong's a good friend of mine, he's pretty cute, considering he looks 50% like a girl but who cares, at least we have chemistry.


 

To: Jongie 1:17pm

Yeap, working. 5 min break, feet about to die. What's up? XD


 

Sungjong types super fast, and I love people who text back instantly.


 

From: Jongie 1:18pm

Awhhh, that's depressing. I thought of inviting you out to the library but....it's okay since you're busy.


 

To: Jongie 1:19pm

Sorry T^T Maybe next time? My 5 mins are almost up. Ttyl~


 

Footsteps were approaching the staff room. I fumbled with my phone and managed to put it in my pocket. Phones were actually off limits during work, but I don't know why I chose to break the rule. After all, rules were meant to be broken right? The door flung open and it was Sungyeol, a staff worker slash colleague of mine.

“Taking a break?” he asked.

“Yeah, I'm going now. My 5 mins are up,” I nodded and got up to my feet.

“The people are just overwhelming and scary...” he sighed and plopped onto the chair.

I laughed. “Then get some rest, I'll go handle things outside.”


 

Proceeding to take down orders and serve customers, the entrance of the doorbell chimed again.

"Annyeonghaseyo!" I turned and greeted. Oh...this can't be happening to me.

"Eh? Ji Hye?" Woohyun and Sunggyu stood there. These 2 dorks are my classmates, annoying classmates. I had that sudden urge to just shove them out of the entrance. All they do is just joke around and tease me, saying useless stuff and wasting hours of my life. But of course, no matter what, I can't. They're customers who I have to respect and I'd probably be fired if I did what I had in mind.

"Please be seated, I will attend to you shortly," I said nonchalantly and went to grab my notepad on the counter.

"Why didn't you tell us that you work here?" Woohyun asked, the usual busybody.

"Well, you never asked.... besides, why should I?" I smiled at him sarcastically. Sunggyu glanced at his watch, probably waiting another friend of his. Woohyun gazed at me with that obnoxious look of his and I just gave him a glare.

“Jihye, you look hideous in these working outfits,” Woohyun laughed and earned a whack from me on the head.

“Quit your nonsense and order before I kick your asses out of this cafe,” I grimaced. Just then, the entrance of the door chimed again. Sunggyu stretched his neck like some dumb giraffe and waved.

“Myungsoo! Over here!”

Turning my head, a guy, a really handsome guy that looks way better than these 2 dorks came approaching. I gaped at him, and time literally slowed down. He has the tallest nose and defined lips that everyone wants. And that mesmerizing eyes that seemed to hypnotize people, and me as well. He caught my eye and I flinched. As he passed by, his shoulders brushed mine. He winked at me and that made me breathless. He took a seat beside Woohyun.

"You like him?" Sunggyu teased. I felt myself blush.

"What?! Heck no!" I snapped. Myungsoo smirked at me and I had no idea what he meant.

"Hurry up and order, I don't have all day," I said impatiently.

"Okay okay okay... gimme a parfait," Sunggyu replied.

"Fries, burger and fruit punch," Woohyun babbled.

"You?" I gestured to Myungsoo. He hesitates for a second, then replied.

"I want you~"

My mind paused for a second then said, "EX-cuse me??!" Want me? What kind of lame joke is that? But I was kinda startled, words like these coming out from a gorgeous guy.

Woohyun and Sunggyu burst out laughing. I fanned myself with the notepad to keep the embarrassment from creeping onto my face.

"Ah, mianhaeyo.... I'm making you feel hot, aren't I?" Myungsoo teased again. I suddenly find him not attractive at all. He was no different than Sunggyu and Woohyun, but worse. I was speechless, and his gaze fell upon mine once again.

"Yah, Just order already! Stop wasting my time!" I barked and broke the gaze. For some reason, he looked at me again, I mean right into my eyes, holding my gaze once again. His arm slipped around my waist and pulled me closer.

"Relax, it's just a joke. My angel~" The voice of his melted my insides. It was so deep and unique and the same time. Not wanting to play around with them anymore, I freed myself from his grasp and headed towards the kitchen.

"Sungyeol, help me take those idiots' orders,” I gestured to the table where Myungsoo, Sunggyu and Woohyun sat.

"Eh? They're here?" he asked, surprised. Forgot to mention, Sungyeol's also a student from my school, just that we're different classes, and he happens to know Sunggyu and Woohyun as well.

“Tell me about it...They're driving me crazy,” I shook my head.

“Haha okay, I'll help you then,” he flashed me a grin.

Ah, jinjja... why are guys so annoying?