Baby Bird

My Servant, My Lover

Previously: SungMin visits the hospital and befriends doctor HyukJae and his assistant, DongHae. He also finds out that this hospital isn't so bad, afterall. What is the KyuMin pair up to a week later?


CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP

KyuHyun woke up with a groan. Why do birds wake up so early in the morning? He turned to his side, expecting to see his cute servant sleeping beside him (He insisted on sleeping on the same bed, and SungMin only agreed after a bolster was placed in between them). After realizing that the said bunny was not in his place, KyuHyun sat up and checked his alarm clock. As expected, it was way past SungMin's wake-up time, and KyuHyun barely registered the repeated number ones on the digital alarm as he climbed out of bed. He went straight to the bathroom to wash up, hoping that his servant wasn't doing anything dangerous.

Once he was done, KyuHyun followed the chirping sounds, which led him to the verandah at the back of the apartment, upon reaching, a petite body was seen squatting down on the clean tiled floor. "Min? What are you doing?" KyuHyun asked, his tone filled with pure curiosity. The questioned man looked up and smiled when he realized who it was. "KyuHyun-ssi! Look, I found a baby bird!" KyuHyun cocked an eyebrow. Trust SungMin to bring amusement to his life. "Hm? Where did it come from?" Normally, KyuHyun would ignore any idiots who paid so much attention to such small animals, deeming them crazy, but he seemed to have a weak spot for SungMin. So, he kneeled down beside SungMin and stared at the little bird who was chirping in SungMin's hand.

I kinda wanna be that bird... KyuHyun unconsciously thought, mentally slapping himself when he realized he was jealous of a bird. "Huh? Did you say something Min?"

"Oh, um... I said I found it on top of the washing machine this morning." "I see...so you were here since...?" SungMin placed a finger on his lower lip, deep in thought. KyuHyun smiled at the small action and patiently waited for the answer. "About 9am?" KyuHyun gasped. "It's already 11! You have been here for three whole hours! C'mon, get the bird inside! At this rate, you'll catch a cold!" SungMin laughed shyly. "I won't get sick, KyuHyun-ssi. I'm not that weak. To be honest, you shouldn't take a week off of your job just to take care of me... My hand is healing fine, see?" SungMin shook his hand repeatedly and winced when a sharp jolt passed through his body. Noticing this, KyuHyun directed a stern look to the man and ushered SungMin inside, locking the door behind him. "Take off your bandage. Let's change it." SungMin took out the bandages from the first-aid kit on the living room table and passed it to KyuHyun. "Give me the bird as well." Sungmin looked at KyuHyun with puppy eyes and KyuHyun couldn't help but laugh. "I'm just going to place it on my lap for the meantime. Now give it to me and we'll change the bandages."

As soon as they were done cleaning and bandaging the recovering wound, the apartment door opened to reveal a middle-aged woman who was carrying a small luggage. "I'm back...I see you just changed SungMin's bandages, KyuHyun?" KyuHyun scoffed at how MinAh stated the obvious while SungMin greeted her properly. "Welcome back, MinAh noona~ I'll help you place the grocer---ah!" SungMin stood up to follow MinAh into the kitchen, but was pulled back by his master.

Sitting SungMin and the little bird on the sofa, he glared at MinAh who was giving a knowing smirk. "SungMin's job is to wash my clothes, fold my blankets, cook for me and greet me. I did not allow him to aid you in any way." MinAh placed three fair fingers on her lips. She laughed wickedly and replied, "Well, I wasn't the one who asked SungMin to help me. He wanted to help me voluntarily. Honestly, forcing someone to do something one dislikes is clearly unethical, no?" MinAh asked, pointing nonchalantly at KyuHyun's arm that was wrapped around SungMin's shoulder. Flustered, KyuHyun let go of the shorter man and turned to the latter, asking, "I-I wasn't forcing you in any way, was I?" SungMin, being the good-hearted boy he is, shook his head. KyuHyun beamed and stuck his tongue out at MinAh, who in turn grumbled on her way to the kitchen.

The master and servant pair stopped chatting when another chirp erupted from the ball of feathers. "What's wrong, little birdie?" SungMin asked with a pout, and KyuHyun thought to himself that his servant is way cuter than the annoying bird. "I've heard that when a baby bird opens its mouth, it is hungry..." SungMin mumbled, and KyuHyun smiled. "Do you want to feed it?" SungMin looked pleadingly at his master and nodded. So, KyuHyun led them to the kitchen and they asked MinAh about bird foods. "How 'bout I mash some bananas for you? Baby birds can't eat adult bird foods you know." MinAh informed and a bunch of bananas appeared out of nowhere. Once the paste was made, SungMin fed the bird using a small spoon.

All three of them smiled when the baby bird chirped happily and flapped it's wings. They could almost see the smile on its beak. While MinAh went back to work, SungMin continued to play with the baby bird. "You like this, don't you? Oh yes you dooo~" SungMin coo-ed, feeding the bird another small spoon of mashed banana. KyuHyun caught himself staring at his servant instead of the bird. 

The dense man scratched his head in frustration, wondering about his (not so) sudden attentiveness towards his servant. It must be because he hurt his hand. KyuHyun nodded, satisfied with his conclusion and decided to talk to SungMin.

"Min, we can't keep the bird, as much as we want to." KyuHyun stated as he sat down beside the bird, on the living room couch. SungMin stared up at him (he was squatting down on the floor, face-to-face with the bird) with disappointed eyes. KyuHyun gulped and stuttered, "I-it needs to experience the outside world in order to grow properly. I'll call up the Bird Organization and see what they can do, a-alright?" SungMin stopped squatting and sat on the floor, cross-legged, in resignation. He stared at the polished wood below his feet and pouted unhappily. "Min..." KyuHyun started but stopped when SungMin suddenly jerked his head up. With a shaky, soft voice that could pass off as a whisper, he asked, "If we called the Bird Organization, then this little birdie will be happy, right?"

KyuHyun bit his lips and nodded silently. SungMin stared at the bird for a few more seconds before deciding that calling the Organization would be for the best. KyuHyun forced a smile and dialed a number on his mobile phone. While he was making the call, SungMin focused alternatively on the conversation and the baby bird.

"One of the members of the Organization is on his way." KyuHyun told SungMin after he hung up. "That's fast." SungMin commented in a montonous voice. The room went silent and moments later, the doorbell rang, breaking the solemn silence. SungMin went to open the door and sure enough, the guy from the bird organization was there. "Good afternoon, sir. I am Kim Ki Bum from the Seoul Bird Organization. I was told you have found a baby bird, Sir?" SungMin nodded wordlessly and after receiving the signal from KyuHyun, he opened the door to allow the worker in. The man in the neat blue uniform bowed and entered the apartment after taking off his shoes. He went over to where the chirping was and knelt down to check on the bird's condition.

"Did you feed it?" The man asked in surprise. Both KyuHyun and SungMin nodded worriedly. "May I know what you fed it?" "Mashed bananas." MinAh's voice piped up from behind the two fidgeting men. The worker nodded and placed the bird in a small cage he carried with him. "That was a wise choice. Baby birds can't take fluids directly and will choke if you fed it bird-food for adult birds. I'm happy to report that this bird is in good condition. Well done! Also, may I know where you found this little critter?" MinAh nodded at the man's explanation while SungMin gave the man details. "I found it on the verandah this morning, at 9a.m." SungMin answered quietly. The worker nodded and they checked the medium-sized verandah. After ten minutes, the worker left with the bird, promising that he would try his best to reunite the bird with its mother, and will take good care of it if the reconciliation isn't possible. Once the man left, MinAh continued with her work and the awkward silence made its comeback.

"Min."

KyuHyun cleared his throat slightly when he received no reply from the person who was standing next to him. SungMin's head jerked up and he stared at his master, asking: "Y-Yes, KyuHyun-ssi?" KyuHyun looks at the shorter human for a few moments before asking, "Do you want a pet bird?" SungMin gasped and his sparkled. "C-can we?" He asked in disbelief. KyuHyun smirked. "So. Wanna go bird shopping?" SungMin nodded eagerly and the both of them entered the car once KyuHyun has informed his driver.

Inside the car, SungMin unconsciously bounced on his seat and KyuHyun, who was sitting next to him at the back of the car, smiled fondly. When the overly excited bunny finally realized he was stalked in a sense, he shot a questioning gaze to his seat mate.
"Nothing." KyuHyun muttered into the hand he propped his cheek on, and SungMin shrugged, continuing to bounce mindlessly on the leather seat.

Twenty minutes later, the car was parked and the pair had entered a three-story building. The automatic doors opened to how numerous cages of different pets---rabbits, turtles, hamsters, spiders and everything that's quiet, really. They made their way to the counter and as soon as the counter-lady saw KyuHyun, she pressed a button and five workers clad in formal uniforms appeared. There were three men in business suits and two women wearing red office miniskirts. They bowed and SungMin, being SungMin, bowed as well. KyuHyun shook his head in amusement. "We were told that Sir wants a pet bird?" One of the muscular men asked politely, his eyes fixated on the marble floor. SungMin seemed to be confused; Should he do the same and stare at the floor?

Before he could contemplate on it, KyuHyun spoke up. "Yes. Where are the birds?" SungMin stiffened at the formal tone both parties were using and this did not escape KyuHyun's always-watching eyes. He placed a gentle hand on SungMin's lower back and leaned down to whisper, "We'll get you a pet here, so let's trust them?" SungMin looked at KyuHyun for a second before beaming in excitement. They then followed the workers to the second floor.

CHIRP CHIRP QUACK QUACK CRUU CRUU

The workers closed the door and silence was regained. "All the floors in this building are sound-proofed. This floor is filled with all types of birds and animals that can fly, such as insects." One of the woman explained to the two surprised clients. "I-I see." KyuHyun recovered and made sure to check on SungMin before replying and entering the noisy second floor.

As it was very, very chaotic, the workers chose not to speak over the noise and used arm gestures to bring the men to the other side of the floor.

Green, blue, white, red, all sorts of coloured feathers appeared and the noises got louder. The parrots kept repeating some foreign words that SungMin couldn't quite catch and he decided to stick closer to the taller man for extra security. Just then, KyuHyun pointed to one of the cages and SungMin turned his head, just to see a golden-like colour shining from within the cage.

His eyes widened and he couldn't bring himself to stop staring because oh goodness, that was the most beautiful bird he has ever seen in his life. The said bird turned it's head, and once it detected the two strangers, it tilted its head and got closer to the wall of the metal cage. Its brownish-yellow feathers that could easily pass off as golden moved graciously as the bird chirped happily. Although it sounds comical, the sound it made was wonderful and SungMin could only hear the chirps that particular bird made. KyuHyun watched the whole ice-breaking process where SungMin poked his unhurt finger into the cage to pet the bird's small head. Surprisingly, the small bird nuzzled closer to SungMin's finger and started to sing a soft tune.

KyuHyun's inner brat surfaced and he placed his head discreetly on SungMin's shoulder. "Want this?" KyuHyun whispered in a deep voice, and his plan to surprise worked too well as SungMin yelped and jumped so much he knocked KyuHyun off. The brat rubbed his chin pitifully while his oblivious servant apologized repeatedly. "It's okay, I was just playing with you." KyuHyun laughed and SungMin bit his lips in embarrassment. "So, do you want this one? Or would you like to look at the other birds?" KyuHyun smirked while using the tone a salesman would use. SungMin didn't seem to notice the change in his tone of voice and nodded immediately. "This one please, KyuHyun-ssi!"

KyuHyun blushed at the cuteness oozing out of the shorter man. "T-this one then." The workers got to work and they arrived home later with a new pet.


"What should I call you?" SungMin asked after dinner. He and KyuHyun were sitting on the bedroom floor, staring at the reasonably quiet bird. "What do you think, KyuHyun-ssi?" KyuHyun snapped out of his dazed state and looked at the bird intently. He could almost see the bird tense up under his glare. "Annyeong." SungMin turned to his master in surprise. "Hello?"

"Goodbye." SungMin gasped, making the taller one turn his head. "What?" He deadpanned.

"Y-you don't like the bird?" D:

KyuHyun laughed sheepishly. Damn bird is getting all the attention. He buried the thought deep in his brain and denied the hate. "I really, really like it. I was just uhh, trying to train it to talk." SungMin laughed in relief. "This isn't a parrot, KyuHyun-ssi~" KyuHyun smiled and decided, "How 'bout we call it Aegyo?" SungMin furrowed his eyebrows and seriously wondered why his master was acting weird. "Why Aegyo? There are so many better Korean names though?"

KyuHyun shook his head stubbornly and walked to his bed. "He shall be Aegyo. That's the end of this conversation, now come here and sleep." SungMin tilted his head, confused. He stared at the bird who was also tilting its head. "Aegyo." SungMin mumbled. "Aegyo. Aegyo. Aegyo. Hehehe~ Aegyo actually a nice name~" SungMin smiled and the bird flapped its wings, seeming to agree with its new owner.

And thus, the day ended with SungMin sleeping happily, without knowing the reason that KyuHyun named his pet Aegyo because it triggers SungMin's own aegyo.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SPPV212's Note: Next Chapter, EunHae. :9