Breaking Point

My Servant, My Lover

MSML

Previously…
KyuHyun and SungMin were inches away from their first kiss (?!) but got interrupted when KyuHyun shares eye contact with a lady from the neighbouring ferris wheel carriage.

KyuHyun pushed SungMin aside and jumped up, just as their carriage door opened.
“We hope you enjoyed the ride, sirs!”
The tall male ignored the worker and walked away, his mind in a confused haze.

“Uh… S-Sir? If you don’t get out now, you’ll be--- sir?!”

KyuHyun looked back to see what the commotion was about. He really needed to escape before SeoHyun’s carriage lands. However, at that moment he must have been the unluckiest man alive. As he twisted, it was as if he turned into stone.

He watched, aghast, as a flustered, speechless SungMin stared at him helplessly from inside their carriage. The doors closed quickly and soon enough, he was on his way up again.
“That---!” KyuHyun didn’t know what to do. On one hand, SeoHyun’s carriage doors were opening. On the other hand, if he left now, SungMin would panic.

Before he realized, a dainty hand was grabbing his arm. His eyes grew wider and he reluctantly looked beside him. There she stood, SeoHyun, with her usual---eh?

The lady he knew before did not match the image of the woman beside him now.
Her hair used to be in perfect waves, her makeup flawless and her dress tastefully curated.
The woman he’s seeing now has messy, sweaty hair, smudged makeup and is wearing an odd, detective-esque outfit. It looks rough compared to her usual elegant style. KyuHyun had a glimpse of her in the Ferris Wheel, but the whole look only registered at that moment. Although, despite all that, it was unquestionable that her beauty still surpasses the average woman.

Her fair skin and flushed face, delicate wrists and doe eyes were as attractive as ever. She was attracting passer-by’s even as they talk.

“K…KyuHyun? It’s such a coincidence to see you here!” She started, her hand feeling up his arm. KyuHyun did the one thing most men would never do to her.

He glared down at her in utter disgust, snatching his arm away from her. She didn’t seem fazed. As per usual.
He managed to contain his dislike as he gritted out, “Why are you in a place like this?”
SeoHyun seemed to flinch at his question, her smile wavering as she looked up at him. “W-Well… I was just curious, you know. I’ve never been to an amust…amuse…amusement park before, since you never took me to these types of places! I’ve been told these are popular places for dates you know!” She spoke quickly, but her voice remained soft and gentle, with a hint of some whining for good measure.

KyuHyun could see past her innocent act; it was as easy as breathing to him.
He took a step back---she took a step forward.
“As if you would come he---Are you here with someone?” KyuHyun asked in irritation.
SeoHyun smirked as KyuHyun forced himself to take a deep breath. “Why? Is our KyuHyun jealous?”
He sighed, unable to keep this act of decency. She seemed to have noticed this, so she quickly covered up: “No, I mean… I came here alone.”

At that, KyuHyun’s eyebrows met. “Why would you come here alone?” She gulped but returned his gaze directly. “L-like I said, I was just curious. That’s why.” He sighed again, and asked, “What time are you planning on going home tonight? It’s already evening.”

She bit her lips, feeling judged, and announced that she was just about to leave. KyuHyun propped a hand on his hips, the other massaging his temples. “Where’s your car?”

SeoHyun stared at her feet. “I…I’ll call someone to me back soon.” She was referring to the bodyguards who have been tailing her from afar, but KyuHyun appears to be less focused than usual, and misunderstood. He sighed again, and she tried her best to not flinch. She felt that KyuHyun has always been judgemental towards her every action, right from the first time they met.

“You can come with us. I’ll send you back. Where are you staying at now?” The offer was presented monotonously, as if he was regretting every word. SeoHyun wanted to fight back, but she desperately longed to spend more time with him. She agreed wordlessly, only revealing the hotel’s location once prompted again.

“LeeTeuk’s hotel? I’m staying there too… Are you stalking me?” KyuHyun’s word spat out like they were made of poison, as if he was revolted by her very existence. She trembled uncontrollably, trying her hardest to conceal her reaction. With a barely audible voice, she defended: “N-No… I’m not, I swear. I… I planned to spend the New Year’s holidays around this area… that’s why… I! I really didn’t come here knowing your location! Believe me!”

KyuHyun’s face showed contemplation mixed with a large amount of scepticism. She wracked her brain for a way to change the topic and brightened up as she remembered, “Uh… Oh! You were with a friend, weren’t you? On hindsight, you were both p-pretty close, huh?” She stuttered, trying to regain any sort of upper hand.

Her attempt seemed to have worked better than she planned, as KyuHyun grew speechless, his face reflecting only shock. That was an expression she has never seen him wear before, and she was starting to wonder just how important this person is to him.

SungMin’s P.O.V

I was completely at a loss when KyuHyun-ssi pushed me aside and jumped off the carriage. He appears to have forgotten me as soon as he saw the lady, ‘SeoHyun’.

I was still trying to process what happened… did we… were we really going in for a k-k-k-…

…kiss?

… Whatever KyuHyun-ssi’s intentions were, it doesn’t matter now. He chased after SeoHyun-ssi, and… she seems more important.

Oh. The carriage doors closed. I didn’t even realize. I watched from above as KyuHyun-ssi walked away. He always looked back, always made sure I was beside him, but not this time.
But what do I expect? I need to check myself.
No matter how well KyuHyun-ssi treats me, I’m only his servant. I would always matter less than everyone else in his life.

Ah… For some reasons, my eyes are getting wet. I rubbed my eyes, and in seconds they felt raw. The sunset’s remaining lights filtered through the window, and I looked for KyuHyun-ssi once more. I don’t know what I was hoping to see, but my heart stopped when I saw how close KyuHyun-ssi and SeoHyun-ssi were.

They seemed to be having an intimate conversation, and I have the oddest urge to jump down and stand in between them. I shook my head. Like I said, I don’t matter much. I am merely a servant, a slave. I don’t have the right to interfere in his affairs.

It was painful to watch them, but at the same time, I couldn’t tear my eyes away from them. It felt like hours has passed before I could finally get out of the Ferris Wheel. Once my feet hit the ground, I ran towards them, not knowing what I’d do.

Normal P.O.V

All SeoHyun’s suspicions were amplified as a hesitant, soft voice interrupted their conversation. “Um…” KyuHyun’s friend from before was staring at them, looking like he just ran a marathon. He was petite and at that time, he looked like he had the lowest self-esteem in the world.
What a pathetic excuse of a man. He resembles the peasants from daddy’s smaller offices. I wonder why KyuHyun even bothers with him.

SungMin felt the pretty lady eyeing him from head to toe. He curled involuntarily, unsure of how to react. He then looked at his master, and again registered only how close the two were. KyuHyun-ssi and SeoHyun-ssi are literally nose-to-nose! I wonder… if they--- “SungMin ah!” KyuHyun seemed startled, and when he also noticed the close proximity, he immediately jumped away, trying to explain himself somehow.

SeoHyun stared at the two men as her brain overworked. Why is KyuHyun so preoccupied with someone like him…? And if I remember correctly, they also seemed like they were about to k-…no way. Of course not. Hahaha. How could that be?

She snapped out of her reverie as KyuHyun quickly introduced the two of them to each other, and awkwardly explained that she would be joining their ride to the hotel. SungMin wore a seemingly pained expression, but she was too tired to wonder more about an irrelevant character. She focused her energy on initiating more skinship with KyuHyun instead, and while he continued to reject her, he seemed more subdued in front of their new addition.

Throughout the car ride, SungMin silently observed them, not saying a word.

At the hotel, 8 P.M.

One of the hotel staff opened the door, and the group of three entered the hotel. The manager greeted KyuHyun, and informed them that it was past dinner time, but they could still order room service. He waved her away, and they headed to the elevators.

“Where is your room, KyuHyun?” SeoHyun, who was standing beside him, did a half-bow, looking upwards at him in what she hoped was an endearing manner. KyuHyun sighed, and told her to shut up, as he has done for the past hour.

The elevator doors opened, and KyuHyun pushed her in. SeoHyun looked at him from inside, aghast. “A-aren’t you retiring today as well?” He sighed, deadpanning that if she knew what floor he was staying at, she would definitely try to worm her way in. She puffed her cheeks as he firmly suggested her to order room service by herself.

After being harshly rejected, she found it quite hopeless to debate further and finally pressed a button. The golden doors closed, and a ding! signalled her leave.

KyuHyun breathed a sigh of relief whilst massaging the crook of his nose. He seemed engulfed in his thoughts before his head snapped up. He did a sharp turn to look behind him, and his whole body relaxed at the sight of SungMin.

With all the commotion SeoHyun was causing, he temporarily forgot about his servant. And now that he thought about it, SungMin was unusually quiet. Ever since… the Ferris wheel ride. He blushed up to his ears, trying to mentally wave off the invading thoughts.

Now feeling guilty (and confused) about the possibility of kissing his servant, KyuHyun felt awkward and remained quiet. He turned back around and clicked a button, waiting for a few long moments before the next elevator opened.

He stepped in and held the door open and watched as SungMin entered after him, head hung low.
Is Min that bothered about the k-kiss? Did… Did I force him into something he didn’t want? A sharp sting shot through his heart. KyuHyun clicked a number and squeezed his eyes shut. This was meant to be a nice holiday, just me and Min. Aghh why are all these problems cropping out now?

He absentmindedly unlocked the door to their suite. They ate some snacks from the pantry in silence and got ready for bed on autopilot mode. After SungMin came out of the shower, KyuHyun made space on the bed, waiting for the smaller male to hop on. However, the latter stood at the end of the bed, still not meeting his eyes.

“Min…? Hey, we’ve had a long day, let’s sleep?”

He started to get really worried when SungMin did not reply. Usually, his bubbly, cheery servant would reply him enthusiastically, without delay. He sat straighter and reached out to hold the quiet man’s hand.

SungMin did not react to his touch, his hand remaining limp. KyuHyun crawled towards him and looked up, trying to see his face. He stopped in his tracks. His servant’s face was scrunched up in pain and he has bit his lip so much, they’d turned an angry red.

“M-Min…? Are you okay? I-If this is about what happened in the Ferris Wheel… do you want to talk about it?” KyuHyun’s voice was laced with worry and affection; his concern was so sincere, it took everything in SungMin to resist giving in.

“M-Master…” SungMin started. KyuHyun’s eyes widened in alarm, his whole body tensing. “W-What is it? Didn’t we already agree to not call me that---”

“Master, can I ask you a question?” SungMin cut him off, and the lankier male gulped. He agreed and waited patiently as SungMin tried to find the right words. He held his breath unconsciously as the question rolled off his tongue, hesitant and shaky.

“Master, y-you said I could pay off my debts to you by working as your servant. How much more do I owe you?”

KyuHyun felt his blood run cold.