A Rich Man's World

My Servant, My Lover

SungMin stared.

SungMin stared again.

SungMin huffed and decided to just squat in front of the black sofa where his master is snoring lightly. He tilted his head in confusion. How long more would it take for his master to wake up? He woke up at 6a.m, as usual, like a human alarm clock. He's used to waking up this time every morning because he needs to get to work on time, and the trip is especially long, since not only is the orphanage far from the supermarket he works in, but he also has no other options than to walk to work. Maybe, SungMin thinks, that's how his firm muscles are formed.

Due to that, SungMin finds it utterly confusing when his master doesn't wake up even at 10a.m. So far, SungMin has started to feel bored, having spent the last few hours studying the bedroom. He didn't dare to shower nor to exit the room, fearing that his master will get angry at him for moving around without permission.

Another 10 minutes passed and SungMin was starting to feel anxious. He was used to ignoring his hunger, but he wasn't used to skipping work. He really needed to borrow a phone to call his boss, and he expected KyuHyun to at least own a phone. If he doesn't, he really wouldn't mind walking to a phone booth nearby, as long as KyuHyun can provide him with some coins. Just until yesterday, he uses the phone booth 10 metres from the orphanage he comes from. 

SungMin sighs as he himself still finds it amusing how he adapted to this situation so quickly. He knows that what he's doing now is indirectly helping the orphanage, but honestly, he should be trying to escape by now. Instead, he's worrying about how he would contact his boss so he could quit his previous job---since he suspects that his master wouldn't allow him to work for anyone else. SungMin knew the orphanage he came from received a large sum of money from the people who literally kidnapped him, but he still wonders whether that amount of money can last for long. SungMin is the eldest in the orphanage and therefore has to work, where his salary will be used to provide for everyone living in the orphanage. Perhaps it's that lingering feeling of responsibility that has him going nuts, thinking about the survival of the orphanage.

Taking a big gulp of air, SungMin bravely nudged KyuHyun. When KyuHyun didn't budge, he nudged his master again, but with more force this time. KyuHyun responded with a grunt, and SungMin unconciously stiffened with fear. "M-master KyuHyun...would you wake up now please?" KyuHyun simply turned his back towards SungMin. SungMin reached out a shaky hand and he shook his master back and forth. "M-M-M-master K-KyuHyun! Wake up!" SungMin squeaked timidly while continuing to make the subconcious KyuHyun dizzy.

After a few long seconds, KyuHyun finally opened his eyes. He squinted his eyes as the bright light of the room shone straight into his eyes. His eyes widened with shock when he saw SungMin. It took all his might to not scream and ask the stranger to get out of his room. KyuHyun leaned back against his pillow with a huff, calming his mind and trying to remember the details. Once he finally registered who this man (who has retreated into a corner) was, KyuHyun sat up and yawned loudly, eyes clenched tightly, like this: >-<

"SungMin...? What time is it?" KyuHyun asked his slave who, apparently, was cowering in fear. "T-Ten...ten minutes to eleven o'clock, master KyuHyun," SungMin replied shyly. He was slowly recovering from fear as he realized that his master did not mind being woken up.

"Eleven..." KyuHyun mumbled under his breath, trying to find out what eleven even means.

He bolted out of the sofa in a flash when he finally got it in into his mind that it was eleven o'clock, which also meant that he was very, very late for work. "GAHHHHH!" KyuHyun screamed as he ran to pluck some collared shirts and black pants from his walk-in closet. SungMin literally turned into stone with KyuHyun's high-pitched scream. Before KyuHyun collided with the bathroom door, though, he froze and looked at SungMin skeptically.

"What day is it today?"

"...Sunday, master KyuHyun." SungMin replied rather stiffly. On the other hand, KyuHyun has managed to turn into a puddle while releasing a large sigh of relief. SungMin ran to the puddle and started to worry over KyuHyun's wellbeing. "M-Master KyuHyun, are you alright?"

KyuHyun solidified himself while SungMin watched in amazement. "I'm...I'm alright. Just relieved, that's all. Um...do you think you could get me some clothes while I shower? Since today is Sunday anyways, I'll bring you out shopping." KyuHyun said slowly, all the while staring at his tattered old clothes that SungMin was wearing. Since it's Sunday, and KyuHyun's driver doesn't work on weekends, KyuHyun decided that he shall drive them to the mall.

SungMin nodded eagerly as he ran over to the walk-in closet that KyuHyun almost destroyed. He peeked his head into the closet, stunned by not just the number of clothes inside the closet, but at the fact that there exists a closet big enough to contain a fully grown man. KyuHyun chuckled quietly as he watched SungMin's cute actions. He snapped out of his daydream when he realized how much time he was wasting by standing there, grinning like an idiot.


Moments later, KyuHyun came out of the bathroom wearing a pink polo shirt and loose black pants. KyuHyun stared at the ridiculous outfit that SungMin chose for him. "SungMin..." KyuHyun started, his oversized brain trying to form a sentence polite enough to not scare away the shorter man. SungMin remained oblivious to KyuHyun's discomfort as he asked: "Yes, master KyuHyun?"

KyuHyun sighed and ruffled his brown hair a little. "You...how...h-how do I look?"

SungMin stared at KyuHyun for a moment before beaming brightly. "You look great, master KyuHyun!" KyuHyun stared at SungMin in disbelief. "You really think so?" SungMin nodded encouragingly. "Have you ever thought of becoming a fashion designer of some sort?"

SungMin shook his head to say no. "I have never thought about being in that career before...do you think I should consider it? I-I mean...with your permission of course!" KyuHyun was quick to object SungMin's suggestion. SungMin looked at his stuttering master for a bit before realizing what was wrong. "Oh...Um, was the outfit I chose weird?"

"No, no of course not. I mean, it's just not quite...my style."

SungMin smiled appreciatively. "Master KyuHyun, you really are nice. Just so you know, it's alright. I know my fashion sense is a bit odd. Back at the orphanage, I used to get teased all the time for wearing the most unpredictable outfits. It was so bad to the point that my boss at the supermarket near my orphanage made a uniform specially for me---Oh that reminds me! Master KyuHyun, do you perhaps have a phone? Or maybe you know a phone booth nearby?"

"Why do you need a phone all of a sudden?" SungMin became flustered as he explained that he had to notify his boss and everything. "I hope you don't mind, master KyuHyun..." SungMin mumbled under his breath. KyuHyun felt a small smile creeping up to his face at SungMin's cuteness.

"Sure, no problem~ Now then, I'll um, change my clothes, if you don't mind..." Receiving a quick nod from SungMin, KyuHyun pointed to the smartphone on the bedside table. "While you're calling, I think I'll get a set of more...presentable clothing for you as well." KyuHyun turned to enter his walk-in closet as SungMin proceeded to dialing his boss's phone number that he had memorized whole-heartedly.

"Hello, this is Lee Sung Min, sir."

"Oh my, my! Sung Min-ssi, where have you been? I...I heard about what happened from the Orphanage. Are you alright? They told me someone bought you right after you were...uh, auctioned."

"Yes, sir. I'm fine, thank you. Uh, I'm not quite sure about my whereabouts as of now, but rest assured. I'm safe now. And yes, I was bought by a um...nice man."

"A-ah...that's nice to hear. I sure hope that you will really be alright..."

"Thank you so much for worrying, sir. Um, may I ask how the orphanage is doing right now?"

"Oh yes! Wonderful news! Um, I mean, that wasn't very tactful of me. You see, with the large sum of money they received two days ago, just after you were...um, bought, the kids there finally have got enough to eat. I can see a bright future ahead of them, as long as the money is used wisely."

"I see. That's great, great news."

SungMin was unconciously smiling to himself now, imagining the happy smiles on the children's faces back at the orphanage. Unknown to him, KyuHyun was observing him from the other end of the room, guilty from making SungMin's life miserable.

"Oh, um, sir? About my job..."

"Yes, about that. Don't you worry about a thing. I know that you won't be able to work from now onwards, so I got a replacement already."

"I see. Thank you so much, sir! I'm really grateful. At the same time, I apologize for all the trouble I've caused you."

"It's okay, you silly boy. Just...stay safe, okay?"

"Okay. Goodbye sir."

With that, SungMin ended the phone call. He was about to stand up from his seat on the sofa when he jumped from shock. He hadn't realized that KyuHyun was standing next to him. "Sorry for scaring you, SungMin." KyuHyun smiled sadly.

SungMin stared at KyuHyun, wondering whether there was a change to KyuHyun's smile or not. "U-Um, it's alright. I was just taken aback, that's all." SungMin blushed and stared at his lap, too self-concious to continue eye contact.  "Hey, SungMin..." KyuHyun said in a serious tone. SungMin's head shot up and he blushed harder when he saw KyuHyun's handsome face up close. He knew he was making the atmosphere awkward, but he couldn't help it.

"I'm sorry for making your life so...ugh... Why am I so bad at this?" KyuHyun facepalmed as he tried his best to say what's on his mind. All the while SungMin was just staring at him curiously. "Um...I really apologize if I made your life inconvenient for you...I'd like to send you back to where you came from, but I can't bear to do that, because I know you'll just get sold to someone else again. And...I...I don't want that. I mean, you're a good kid, SungMin, and I don't want anyone to corrupt you..."

SungMin smiled warmly. "It...It's alright, master KyuHyun. I know what would happen if I go back to the Orphanage...but, master KyuHyun, you really need to know this. I'm very, absolutely sure that you are the best master anyone would ever hope to have!"

KyuHyun flashed a lopsided grin as he fondly ruffled SungMin's hair. "Alright, alright. Enough with this talk. Now go and have your shower. Here's the clothes I picked for you. These clothes may be a bit too big on you, but I'll adjust it later, okay?" SungMin nodded happily and he quickly entered the bathroom.

Minutes later, SungMin came out wearing an oversized long-sleeved yellow sweater that reached SungMin's thighs and a pair of tight jeans that seemed to be mopping the floor. KyuHyun cooed at the sight. He has never been happier about being tall. Walking over to SungMin, he bent down and started to fold the ends of the jeans. "M-master KyuHyun, I-I can do this myself..." KyuHyun looked up at SungMin with a smile and continued folding. After making two large folds that rested just below SungMin's knees, KyuHyun stood up and stared at the sleeves of the shirt SungMin was wearing. The sleeves made it seem as if SungMin didn't have hands. That doesn't need fixing. KyuHyun smiled to himself. 

Next, KyuHyun tucked in one end of the shirt into SungMin's jeans. KyuHyun then retreated a few steps, admiring his work. He nodded, feeling satisfied. "Alright, we're ready to go."


During the ride to the largest mall in the district, SungMin who was sitting in the passenger's seat tugged at his long sleeves. "Master KyuHyun, may I fold my sleeves?"

"What for?" KyuHyun asked, still concentrating on driving. "Um...they're too long and this makes me look like a kid..." KyuHyun managed to glance at SungMin's pout which made him chuckle.

"That's alright. You look like a kid anyways. Oh right, that reminds me. Aside from your name, I don't know anything about you at all. Let's start with your age, shall we? How old are you?"

"I'm 30 this year. My birthday is on January first and---"

SungMin didn't manage to continue his sentence as the car suddenly came to a halt. SungMin rubbed the area of his shirt where he believed his heart is located while looking at KyuHyun with wide eyes.

On the other hand, KyuHyun turned to SungMin slowly.

"I'm...28. Sorry I called you a kid, hyung."

SungMin's eyes couldn't get any wider so he just stared at KyuHyun, bewildered. And the awkward atmosphere ensues.