One Man's Beginning

My Servant, My Lover

MSML 5

Previously…

KyuHyun persuades SungMin to forget the debt and to live with him henceforth as an equal. The ex-servant agrees, but how would he adjust to this new system?

“Mm…”

SungMin stirred, straining his eyes as bright fluorescent light shone harshly at his eyes. He tried to cover them, but realized his hands were bound. In a panic, he whipped his head around, coming into contact with another head.

“Oww… Min, what’s wrong?” KyuHyun grumbled, wincing at both the pain and the light. What a great way to start the day. He looked at the smaller male, entrapped in his arms. “Whoa!” As it turns out, he might or might not have instinctively hugged the other whilst sleeping through the night. He blushed, letting go immediately.

Seeing his master’s sudden movements, SungMin jerked upright. He moved a few inches away from the taller and stammered. “I-I… I’m s-so sorry! I didn’t mean to sleep so close to you!”

KyuHyun scratched the back of his head, trying to make sense of what was happening.
The memories from the previous night slowly filled both their minds and the two men stared awkwardly at each other.

“Y-Yesterday…” SungMin started.

“Y-yeah… Haha… we decided to abolish this system between us, or something…?” KyuHyun continued, looking away. He was pretty sure the average person did not have to talk about such odd topics with their crush.

“Yes… You can forget it if you wish to,” SungMin’s lips pressed into a line. “I can still pay you back.”

That was a difficult statement for both men, and they fell into silence. A few long moments later, KyuHyun quietly piped up. “Actually… I would love if you could accept the new sys---lifestyle. I know we were both in quite a daze last night, so I’d ask you again: Would you please accept the offer of living with me as an equal, a normal citizen? I can’t bear to live apart from you; I’ve grown accustomed to your presence.”

SungMin became hopeful as he listened on. With an expression betraying composure, he whispered: “Can I really accept something so monumental?”

The look of confirmation KyuHyun shot him was more than enough reassurance. “But what about the debt? It’s a lot for you to forget, no matter how wealthy you are.”

The other looked thoughtful for a moment. Then, he countered with: “Indeed. I acknowledge that it wasn’t a small sum, but I also do not care about money when it concerns you. It was within my power to take you from your kidnappers. It is also within my power to release you from me. I would be extremely happy if you could accept my offer to forget the debt. I assure you, I do not think anything of it anymore.”

SungMin’s eyes teared up. His lips wobbled, and he asked for one last reassurance before finally accepting the offer. He did this, of course, by unconventionally flinging himself onto his ex-master, throwing him straight into the soft mattress.

KyuHyun couldn’t hear much in between SungMin’s sobs, but he would never miss what SungMin whispered into his ear:

“Thank You.”

It was after hours of cuddling before KyuHyun’s stomach grumbled. Both men jolted from their sleepy daze and met eyes for a silent moment before bursting into laughter.

“Shall we get room service for brunch, then head out? I’ve got more stuff planned for us today!”
SungMin looked up appreciatively at the taller man. He was sure they’d both realized the elephant in the room---the kiss. However, things were going at a comfortable pace, so he decided not to push it. Enjoying the present, he nodded and waited as KyuHyun stretched to get the menu on the bedside table.

It was odd to not follow commands, and SungMin had to consciously restrain himself from fetching the menu. Instead, he sat upright and gripped the bedsheets as he watched KyuHyun roll back. They flipped through the pages together, light-heartedly discussing their preferences.

“How bout, I get the steak, you get the roasted chicken with pumpkin soup? There’s also pumpkin pie, but oh! We’ll need to ask if they’re sold out since it’s already 12.” KyuHyun rattled off as he traced his finger down the page. SungMin remained quiet, looking conflicted.

KyuHyun detected the signal almost immediately and rushed to ask if anything was wrong. SungMin bit his lips, worry etched on his features. “Um… I think there may be too much food…” KyuHyun struggled to listen to the soft mumbling, but once he deciphered it, his head shot up. “You used to be able to eat at least this much! What happened, does your stomach hurt? Are you feeling ill?”

SungMin couldn’t help the giggle that escaped as the other started to feel him up. “N-No! Nothing like that! I just--- haha! --- I can’t pay for it all!” SungMin surrendered and announced his worries as they fell back on the bed.

The larger man was now directly on top of him, his movements halted suddenly. SungMin looked up at him, starting to wonder if he should’ve just shut up. “Min…” There was so much disappointment in KyuHyun’s face. “Why are you still worried about things like that? Didn’t I already say that I’m willing to pay anything for you? … Did my intention not come through?”

The pumpkin’s eyes widened, and he went silent for a moment, gathering his words. “Y-Yes, but I… I don’t want to leech off you! Now that I don’t work for you anymore, you shouldn’t have to pay for everything! Al-Although I need to admit that I don’t have anything that’s mine right now, so you’d have to tolerate me for a bit---"

He stopped partway as he noticed a smile breaking out on KyuHyun’s face. He tilted his head, confused. Finding this insanely adorable, the former couldn’t help his anger dissipating. He chuckled and pulled the smaller into a brief, tight hug. “It’s okay. You won’t be leeching off me. If you just do the things you’ve been doing, that’ll be more than enough.”

SungMin blinked, a tiny bit confused about his ex-master’s reaction. “But… Then it’ll be no different from our previous s-system…”

KyuHyun went silent, thinking this over for a few moments. The other just watched him intently, waiting for a response. Finally, the taller replied: “You’re right. Then how about, we continue with the same pattern of living together, but this time, you get to do whatever you want, whenever you want, and you get to access everything I have access to!”

The black-haired male did not find this idea amusing. He pouted, protesting once more that that was the definition of leeching. “How ‘bout you just let me work for someone other than you? That’s the fairest way of doing things, and I can finally pay you--- I mean, I can become more self-sufficient.”

Clearly, the two were at ends with each other, unwilling to back down. When KyuHyun tried to straighten up, the menu rustled at his knees. Attention diverted, he suggested to have food and to enjoy the rest of the holidays before discussing such a serious matter. SungMin agreed, and the rest of the brunch was mundane, just them enjoying each other’s company over food.

“So where are you taking me?”

KyuHyun smiled down at the little voice beside him. They were currently in the elevator, going down to meet their driver in the lobby. “Shh… it’s a secret! You’ll see when we get there.”

SungMin was about to pout his heart out, but a feminine voice interrupted their conversation.

“What is this secret I hear?”

Both men turned towards the source, and dismayed expressions flickered past their faces as they were met with SeoHyun once more. The beautiful lady started to hanker after KyuHyun once more, squeezing herself in between the two men. KyuHyun rejected all her advances without hesitation, whilst SungMin became silent, finding himself staring at his feet again.

“Oh, don’t be a bore! Hey, you there! Tell me where KyuHyun is going to, now!” SeoHyun beamed, bending so her face is directly staring upwards at SungMin’s, a mere inch apart. Before he could react, a strong arm wrapped itself around his shoulders and he found himself being pulled sideways.

He looked up to see an expressionless KyuHyun. With a monotonous voice, the elegantly-dressed man drawled: “That’s enough. If you can’t even remember his name, you clearly don’t have the right to converse with us. Now scram!”

SeoHyun looked dismayed, but the expression lasted only a second. Her pink lips opened to retort, but they immediately sealed into a tight line when a man’s voice appeared from behind her. “My lady! Where did you go---I thought I lost you for a moment!”

I wish you would lose me for a lifetime. She thought cruelly, turning around swiftly to greet her companion. “Y---Ah. Hello.” YongHwa stuttered as he realized SeoHyun was talking to their stalking targets.

He pulled on his collar awkwardly as SeoHyun stiffly introduced them to each other. All they exchanges were muttered ‘Pleasure to meet you’s' and short nods, but this was over-compensated when SungMin gave a full 90-degrees bow, shouting his greetings. In a flurry of emotions, YongHwa was not able to reply as KyuHyun respectfully (and quickly) excused themselves. SeoHyun was just as dazed, not realizing until a moment afterwards, when it was far too late to chase after them.

Annoyed, she hit YongHwa’s arm, angrily hissing: “What are you standing there for?! Go get the car! We’re tailing them!” She huffed and watched as nothing happened. “Well?!”

The man shook his head, exiting his reverie. He pulled her aside as a flood of people exited the elevators. Whispering, he asked: “Before commanding me, tell me. What is the purpose of this? Why are you so obsessed with Cho KyuHyun?”

The lady stomped her feet, creating a loud clack with her stilettos. “And I have already told you to stop being so nosy---” She was cut off by an exasperated huff. “---I am nosy?! Have you ever looked at a mirror?! You know what I think? I think you’re just hung up on him!
I found out that he was your ex-boyfriend, and-and…”

YongHwa blurted out a stream of words, but he suddenly became choked up.

SeoHyun raised an unfazed eyebrow, staring curiously as tears flooded his eyes. “…And… And if you still have feelings for him---SeoHyun-ah, I don’t know what you think of me truly, but I want you to know that I’ve always been serious about you---” He bit his lips as the lady rolled her eyes. It was only for a brief second, but he caught it.

“I’ve had enough. I’ve been doing your bidding for these past few months, and I genuinely thought that you had a thing for me, too. Y-yesterday, when you disappeared on me and returned at night… that’s when I realized that I don’t matter to you, at all! If… If you’re serious on getting back with the Cho Kyu Hyun, then I’m surrendering now.”

He’s had her full attention by now.

“I don’t stand a chance against him. He’s much more accomplished in- in everything, when compared to me. My measly company would never measure up to his academy, and even if I could catch up to him, I’d never be able to stand on the same ground as him--- his lineage, his talents, skills… If you have him in your eyes, then I know I won’t even be a part of your tears when he breaks your heart once more.”

He stared at the lady in front of him. She looked as beautiful as when he first met her. Her hair and outfit immaculate, facial expressions controlled to a fault, exuding nothing but self-assurance and lack of care---the complete opposite of the mess that entered their connected bedrooms last night. If Cho Kyu Hyun can cause a woman of such force to become so desperate, so distraught… He would relinquish this battle.

“Tell me, SeoHyun-ah. What is it that you want with him? Are you planning on rekindling your relationship with him?”

She sighed and looked as if harsh words were at the tip of her tongue. However, she bit back all of the insults and looked straight into his eyes, admitting: “Yes. I am. As you’ve said, he is a man of excellence, a master of all trades. I have always thought of him, even years after we’ve ended things. Seeing him now, so coincidentally---it makes me think that we are fated to be, afterall. If saying all this would mean losing your support, then…”

She took a deep breath of annoyance and continued. “…Remember this. I showed you all my attention and affection willingly. If your devotion to me is only to this extent, then you may give up. I don’t need you. I am perfectly capable of being independent, and if you will not support my ventures then you may leave.”

He shook his head, unable to believe the words he was hearing. Never breaking eye contact, he cracked a broken smile at her, letting his hands fall limp at his side. “SeoHyun-ah… one day, I hope you realize just how cruel your heart is. The fact that you are able to say such things to man who has loved you so dearly, to whom his heart has broken for you---I now realize why Cho Kyu Hyun ended things with you.”
With that, he bit out:

You are not fit for him. You will never be enough for him.”

He turned around and waved at a staff member. In moments, arrangements were made for his leave in very little words.

Before he left the building, SeoHyun screamed her head off. He looked back partially but caught himself and took another step forward. He knew. The reason behind her outburst was not his leaving, but his last words.

Even until the very end, he did not matter to her. He blinked back the last of his tears and forced himself to smile.

She will never affect him ever again.

Staff members flocked to SeoHyun’s side, trying to calm her down. The enraged lady was pulling at her hair in anger, frustrated to the point of hyperventilating.

“H-How may we help you, ma’am?! Just-Just calm down and we’ll do anything for you!”

Her voice trembled as she stopped thrashing around. “Get… Get me a car. Now! And contact my secretary at once!”

Already knowing who she is, the manager assured her that her needs would be met, and orders were thrown around. She continued to calm her client down, even touching up her hair for her. When the car finally stopped at the entrance, her hysterical client has re-composed herself, looking like she did the first time she stepped in---ethereal.

Swiping one last coat of lipstick, she clipped her purse shut and briskly walked to her transport. It was as if nothing has happened, and she was so good at her act that the staff soon forgot the scene she’s caused.

As the bellboy shut the door for her, SeoHyun directed to her driver:

“Follow the 9025 car, the black Merz from your hotel. You know what I’m talking about, so go!”

Pressured, the driver gripped the steering wheel as he stepped on the gas pedal. He watched through the rear-view mirror as the lady resituated herself on the backseat, and meekly followed instructions to roll up the partition.

As much as he hated arrogant patrons, he sped up as he tried to track the aforementioned car.

Unbeknownst to all the drama happening back at the hotel, KyuHyun and SungMin were having a guessing game.

“Is it… another amusement park?” SungMin’s eyes sparkled. “No, it’s not, thankfully.” The other grimaced, looking actually grateful for that.

“Aww… is it… a department store?”

It went on for only a few more minutes before SungMin ran out of ideas. It was then that KyuHyun truly realized that the other man really did not have much experience of modern entertainment opportunities. He thought of this fondly, indulging completely in his crush’s obliviousness. Not knowing what chaos SeoHyun was about to cause.