Becoming A Maid: Part II

My Servant, My Lover

Previously: SungMin starts properly living with his master and mentor(?)!


"This omelet tastes really good, noona!" SungMin complimented as he tried his best not to wolf down his food. To be honest, he was starving. It was probably because KyuHyun forgot to get dinner for the both of them the night before, but he couldn't possibly complain. It's not just the matter of his rank, but the fact that KyuHyun was so nice to him that he could just forget his hunger for a while. Besides, his stomach had went through worse times.

"Awww, thank you! See, you should be more like SungMinnie here!" MinAh cooed and reached across the table just to pat SungMin's soft, jet black hair. SungMin blushed and KyuHyun, who was sitting next to SungMin, glared full force at his caretaker. "What did you just call him?" Something clicked in MinAh's mind and she smirked, replying, "Now now, Master KyuHyun.  Are you jealous of my close relationship with SungMinnie?" KyuHyun's pupils dilated and he blushed ten shades of red under a minute, the colour getting brighter as time passes. "W-What?! W-Why would be jealous? Ha-Ha-Ha. My relationship with him is so much better than yours! I even call him Min! Right, Min?" KyuHyun turned to look at SungMin sharply, signaling for the latter to agree with him so he wouldn't lose face. SungMin's fair cheeks turned a light pink from all the attention he was getting and he nodded. 

KyuHyun smiled proudly at MinAh's direction but scowled when he realized that the woman had long since ignored him and continued eating in a sophisticated style. My, my. It seems like my master have finally grown up. He's finally falling in love again after so long, MinAh thought to herself. She looked up briefly to eye SungMin's eating behaviour. He eats like a poor man. How nice. KyuHyun needs a partner like SungMin afterall. All those rich ladies will stop at nothing to obtain his wealth. Who cares if he's a guy? As long as he'll take care of KyuHyun, I can retire in peace. MinAh smiled a bit and stood up to wash the dirty plates.

When MinAh pulled the dirty plate from SungMin's hands, who was trying to the remains of the omelet, SungMin protested. He made sure that MinAh understood that he was going to be the new maid, so he should do all these things. Before MinAh could say a word, KyuHyun intercepted with a serious voice.

"No, that's wrong. MinAh, SungMin will cook and clean starting tomorrow. And by cleaning I meant washing my clothes and making my bed. You still have to do the rest of the house chores. Make sure that he does not do more than he should." SungMin jerked his head in KyuHyun's direction, rendered speechless. Seeing that KyuHyun isn't looking at him, he turned to MinAh, half expecting her to formulate a witty retort, or perhaps demand an explanation for the sudden announcement, but instead, she hummed in response and started washing the utensils and dishes instead.

SungMin started getting nervous for no particular reason. There wasn't any tension in the atmosphere, but there was this feeling he couldn't ignore in his heart. He felt...excluded. It seemed as if MinAh and KyuHyun had made a silent agreement without consulting him first. Finally, he opened his mouth to complain about how he could do much more work that that, but a whimper sounded from his dry throat instead. Before he realized what happened, KyuHyun was already rubbing circles on his back and MinAh gave him a cup of water.

"Are you alright? Here, drink this. It'll make you feel better. You should eat slower next time." KyuHyun took the cup of water from MinAh's hand and pressed the opening of the cup on SungMin's lips. SungMin drank the water greedily and when he was done, he blushed a crazy shade of crimson and apologized profusely about how he was just thristy and they shouldn't worry about him so much. The both of them smiled at SungMin as he looked up from his lap.

MinAh was standing across of SungMin and had both her hands on the table as a slight support as she leaned forward to look at SungMin's face. KyuHyun was sitting next to him, an arm over the backrest of SungMin's wooden chair. The both of them looked at SungMin with a spark of fondness in their eyes. "You're part of this family now, Min." KyuHyun said gently.

"There's still a lot about you that I don't know yet, but as a fellow maid, I shall welcome you to this small family." MinAh started.

KyuHyun and MinAh both ended the sentence with: "Welcome to Cho KyuHyun's residence, SungMin."

Why, SungMin was so touched he could almost cry.


"Please come home safely, KyuHyun-ssi!" SungMin presented KyuHyun with a ninety-degree bow. KyuHyun patted his head and laughed. "Alright, you too. And don't do any unnecessary work!" SungMin pressed his lips into a thin line while in his bowing form. KyuHyun did not see SungMin's reaction as he was staring at his cell phone. "Bye, Min. Bye, MinAh. Keep SungMin away from harm." KyuHyun commanded with a dismissive tone and walked out of the apartment, locking the door behind him. SungMin straightened his back after hearing the door click shut.

"You don't have to be so formal around KyuHyun and I," SungMin turned around to face MinAh. "I can see that the brat really likes you, so I hope you're not here because of his wealth?" SungMin looked at his feet. He bit his lip and gently tapped the floor using the heel of his right foot. MinAh's eyebrows met and created wrinkles. "Is there something that I need to know?" MinAh asked in a soothing voice. SungMin couldn't help himself and he looked up at the charming woman. "I...am not here because of my decision..." SungMin mumbled, and MinAh couldn't catch what he said, but she could tell by the way SungMin's eyes darkened.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She inquired softly. SungMin shook his head instantly and she smiled. "Then let's get to work, shall we? I'll show you how the things work around here." SungMin nodded enthusiastically and followed MinAh to the bathroom that's connected to KyuHyun's bedroom. SungMin copied MinAh's actions precisely as she kneeled down next to the cylindrical laundry basket and started taking out a string of clothes and categorized them into different piles of clothing on the floor. "What are you doing, noona?" SungMin asked, genuinely curious as to why MinAh was suddenly dirtying the clothes by putting them on the floor.

"Okay, this is how it works around here. If you're going to replace me in washing clothes, I have to make sure that you perform every step perfectly. Look at this shirt. It's pink and white in colour. Colours like this are piled up with other light colours, such as white and sky blue colours. Next, this black jacket is a dark colour, so it goes with other dark colours like those brown pants and dark green boxers. Do you understand what I'm saying?" SungMin nodded, encoding every single word into his brain.

"But noona, may I ask, why do we need to separate the colours?" MinAh looked at SungMin in bewilderment. "Have you done any house chores before?" SungMin nodded his head and with a serious expression. He replied, "I do house chores everyday. But I have never been asked to sort clothes according to their colours before." MinAh's shocked expression said it all. SungMin gulped and avoided eye contact.

"But lad, if you mix all the clothes together, the colours will transfer!" SungMin rubbed his knees with his hands nervously. "B-but...noona, the clothes turn out perfectly fine when I wash them together..." MinAh tsk-ed and asked SungMin to carry the bundle of dark-coloured clothing. "Here...I'll show you how it's done." The two of them made their way along the corridors to the door at the very end. MinAh carefully placed the light-coloured clothes on the floor and unlocked the door with an I.D card. The door slid open and a medium-sized verandah came into view. "The verandah is at the back? I thought verandahs would be attached to the bedroom..." SungMin thought aloud. MinAh laughed and shook her head as she picked up the clothing she dropped. "KyuHyun asked the owner of this condominium to build a verandah at the back. Originally, the verandah is connected to the bedroom, but once, a thief managed to break into this unit and stole KyuHyun's laptop. After that, he had the verandah literally torn off and made another one connected to the back." MinAh explained. SungMin was about to ask how much that whole renovation cost his master, but MinAh had already started to throw the clothes into a machine with a large hole.

"What are you doing, noona? I thought we were supposed to wash the clothes?" SungMin asked politely. MinAh looked at him with a curved eyebrow. "We are. Come here and see how this thing works. The machines we use here could be different from the ones you used before you came here." MinAh stated absent-mindedly as she the switch. SungMin walked and stood next to her, looking curiously at the hole. He was staring at the pile of crumpled clothing all squashed together, when suddenly, mini waterfalls started to pour from the walls of the hole. SungMin gasped and pulled out a bundle of clothes. "MinAh noona! The clothes! WATER!" SungMin yelped and worked quickly to get the clothes out. MinAh sighed and placed a hand on SungMin's back to calm him down.

"SungMin, tell me. When was the last time you used a washing machine?" SungMin tilted his head and stared at MinAh, confused. "What's a washing machine?" MinAh gaped. "You're a maid to Cho KyuHyun but you do not know what a washing machine is." MinAh re-stated monotonously, slowly, as if trying to process the information herself. SungMin simply blinked at her.

"Okay, I'm not supposed to pry, but just tell me... How do you wash your clothes?" SungMin flashed a small smile and looked around the verandah. He found a small bucket and rinsed it with a nearby hose. Then, he dumped two shirts into the bucket and started to clean them by hand. MinAh rubbed her temples. Where did KyuHyun pick up this boy exactly? It seems as if he's not even trained! I shall get details of SungMin's supervisor when KyuHyun comes home later. "SungMin, we do things differently here. If you're going to work under Cho KyuHyun, you have to know how to use the washing machine." MinAh gave an encouraging smile when she saw how SungMin's face flushed with embarrassment.

To be completely honest, MinAh was surprised at how fast SungMin was at learning. If he was telling the truth about not seeing a washing machine before, then he sure is learning at a very fast speed. It only took MinAh five minutes to explain every single function of the washing machine and another minute for SungMin to memorize everything. "So the blue button is used to start the machine. Therefore, I only need to put these dark clothes into the hole here, add the detergents---a full cup---then close the lid and click the blue button. This screen here shows me the time taken for the clothes to be washed, so I have to come by and check on the machine after 43 minutes. When the machine is done washing the clothes, all I have to do is open the lid and put all the clothes into the dryer here right?" SungMin recalled, MinAh was beyond impressed.

"Uh...yes. Now that this is done, we have forty minutes to complete other chores. Come along now. KyuHyun said that you are in charge of his bed too." SungMin nodded and followed MinAh back to KyuHyun's bedroom. MinAh adjusted SungMin's previously made bed and showed him how it is usually folded and arranged. "You have to do this every morning after you wash the clothes, okay?" MinAh reminded and SungMin nodded. Before they left for the kitchen, SungMin took in the details one last time, eyebrows furrowing to make sure he remembered everything.

Once they got to the kitchen, MinAh showed SungMin every corner of the kitchen and the both of them cooperated perfectly. In three hours' time SungMin had memorized the placement of every ingredient in the fridge and had even managed to learn a few secret recipes as well. "So what should I do now?" SungMin asked. When KyuHyun told him he would be cleaning and cooking, he was prepared to sweat, but only now did he realize that KyuHyun's air conditioner is 24 hours long.

"It's way passed forty minutes---the clothes should be done by now. I'll show you how to work the clothes' dryer, then you'll do the second round of washing yourself. Is that alright?" MinAh enquired kindly and SungMin nodded quickly. After they were done with the clothes, SungMin was given a thick recipe book. "There's still a lot in the drawers of that black table there, but for now, just focus on this book as it contains the recipes of the main dishes. I will be cooking until you know a few recipes or two." MinAh explained, and she didn't even need to wait for SungMin to ask about the other chores. "And no, I will take care of the other house work, so don't you dare to try and do them. Even if I take a sick leave or two, KyuHyun will get another maid to take care of them. Your job is to make breakfast, dinner and the occasional lunch if KyuHyun decides to come home from work for a short break. Also, you'll have to wash his clothes and make his bed everyday, which is followed by ironing and placing them back in the closet---which I'll show you later. You are not allowed to do anything other than that, am I understood?" MinAh instructed firmly and SungMin could only gulp.


The door creaked open and SungMin's ear twitched. He snapped out of his reveries and ran towards the door. In his hype, he bumped into the sleepy KyuHyun and the both of them stumbled and fell. "Ugh...Min?" KyuHyun's eyes widened when he realized it was SungMin who was on top of him. SungMin turned red and quickly got up, helping KyuHyun after.

"I am so so sorry! I was given a recipe book to read, and then sleepy, so I ran, didn't know, accident, sorry!" SungMin panted while bowing down a couple of times. KyuHyun had to grab SungMin's shoulder so he wouldn't get dizzy from the repeated bowing. "Okay, okay, I get it! It's alright! No need to get all worked up." KyuHyun smiled at SungMin and the latter bit his lips as he looked up at KyuHyun nervously.

"OH! Uh, welcome home, KyuHyun-ssi!" SungMin gave a slight bow and KyuHyun couldn't help but laugh. "Yes yes, I'm home~ Let's go in now, shall we?" KyuHyun suggested. "O-oh, right! Let's."

Both men entered the apartment and were immediately overwhelmed by a heavenly smell. "Were you cooking?" KyuHyun's eyes shone and SungMin was hesitant, but he managed to tell KyuHyun that MinAh would be doing the cooking until she decides that SungMin is 'properly trained'.
"Che. So it's that woman's fault for making me miss your cooking." KyuHyun grumbled and SungMin strained his ears, but he could only catch a few words that didn't make a logical sentence, so he decided to keep quiet. They headed to the kitchen and a loud, cheerful dinner followed through.

After dinner, MinAh urged SungMin to take a shower first so she could speak privately to KyuHyun. With no protests, SungMin went ahead to do as he was told. When SungMin was finally out of earshot, KyuHyun relaxed in his chair and stared at MinAh, who was sitting across him. "So...what did you want to talk about?" KyuHyun enquired with the raise of an eyebrow. It is unusual for MinAh to request a private discussion, so KyuHyun was honestly curious.

"As you asked of me, I had taught SungMin the basics of almost everything he has to do. However, while we were washing the laundry, he admitted that he never knew washing machines existed. May I talk to his supervisor? I do not tolerate companies that train their workers so carelessly." MinAh glared and KyuHyun sighed. He knew this talk was coming, but he didn't expect it to arrive so quickly. "You see...I didn't hire SungMin through a proper agency."

"What?! Do you mean to tell me you simply picked him up from the sidewalk?" MinAh almost screamed. KyuHyun shushed her and explained, "Not really. Just that, you know I started attending HeeChul's adoption events, right?" MinAh gasped. "You recruited SungMin through auctioning?! I thought you were against the whole thing at the beginning!" KyuHyun rubbed his temples and said, "I did, and I still do. However, I don't know what came over me when I auctioned for SungMin. I just felt this sudden will to want to protect him...so I bought him."

MinAh stared at KyuHyun, unable to comprehend what he just said. KyuHyun gave her a few minutes and snapped her out of it by snapping his fingers. "Ah...y-yes. Okay. I got it." MinAh's expression became controlled and she finally formulated a formal reply. KyuHyun smiled and pleaded MinAh to treat SungMin equally, in which she answered by smacking his head. "Of course I'll treat him equally! In fact, I'll treat him better than I treat you, because he's just so cute and innocent. Unlike you, the lazy and evil master that I had to tolerate for so many years." MinAh pretended to be annoyed and KyuHyun smiled, knowing that MinAh had fully accepted SungMin despite his background.


It has been a few weeks and SungMin was adapting really well to the eventful days at KyuHyun's residence. SungMin has been completely trained by MinAh and he could now cook, clean and make the bed. Oh right. He also greets by giving KyuHyun brief hugs, just because KyuHyun admitted that he secretly loved hugs.

"KyuHyun-ssi, wake up!" SungMin screamed with his inhumanly cute voice and KyuHyun woke up with a reluctant smile. He went straight to the bathroom where the water was set to the perfect temperature and his work clothes were carefully hung next to the towel rack. After bathing, he entered the kitchen and was immediately served pancakes. After a fun breakfast with SungMin, SungMin passed him his suitcase for work and bid him goodbye.

Once KyuHyun had left, SungMin went ahead to do the laundry. When the clothes were all in the washing machine and the bed was made, SungMin sat down on a kitchen stool and fished out the smartphone KyuHyun bought him a few days ago. He clicked on the second contact in his short contact list and called MinAh.

"Hello, noona? This is SungMin."

"Oh...hello, SungMinnie. I think you're calling because I'm not there yet?"

"Yes... Is there heavy traffic today?"

"No... to be honest, I am feeling a bit under the weather today. Can you just leave all my chores alone? I'll do all of them when I get better soon. I will inform KyuHyun that I will skip work for today and if I don't get better by tomorrow, I'll visit a doctor and KyuHyun will get a temporary maid to take my place."

"What? There's no need for another maid! You just focus on getting better, noona! I can take care of everything!"

"NO! KyuHyun had gave me specific instructions that you are NOT allowed to do any of my chores. Besides, I think I would get better by tomorrow noon, so the chores can be ignored till then."

"Um...okay then..."

"Good boy, SungMin. See you tomorrow. If anything arises, just call me, okay? I'm sorry you have to be alone today..."

"Oh no, no! It's fine! I only hope for you to recover. Now go and rest;  KyuHyun-ssi's coming back for lunch today."

"I see...well, I'll leave that to you. I feel another headache coming up. Bye!"

"Bye~"

MinAh eventually hung up and SungMin took out a recipe book on Asian dishes and started to scan through it. "Chicken broth sounds nice. I think there were a few more preserved mushrooms in the fridge that I could use." SungMin mumbled and walked to the fridge. He absent-mindedly took out the container of mushrooms. Suddenly, a beep rang through the apartment and SungMin exclaimed, "Oh, it's the washing machine!"

In his haste, he dropped the container on the way to the verandah and the loose lid came off, causing the water inside the container to spill on the wooden floor of the corridor. SungMin gasped and quickly took a cloth to wipe off the water. While cleaning, he spotted a few ants and decided that he would clean it after doing the laundry.

Soon enough, clothes were in the machines and SungMin took another cloth to wipe the areas infested with ants. As he followed the short trail of ants, he was led to the storeroom, where there was a dead beetle. Ants were crowding around the dead insect and SungMin's only wish was to clear the sight. He washed the cloth and found a vacuum shortly. He had seen MinAh use the device a lot of times before, so he was confident that he could use it too.

However, he was proven wrong. The vacuum cleaner was much more difficult to control than he originally thought. Still, he felt accomplished when he managed to clean up the whole storeroom. Feeling pumped up, SungMin continued to clean the whole apartment.

After an hour or two, the apartment was sparkly clean and the vacuum cleaner was filled with dust and dirt. "I should clean the plastic casing of this cleaner or MinAh will know I did part of her chores..." SungMin thought aloud and tried to disassemble the plastic storage of the cleaner. Mind you, I said tried.

Since the plastic part wouldn't budge, SungMin decided to add more force. Eventually, the plastic casing broke SungMin scratched his hand against the blades in the device. "Ouch!" SungMin winced and cradled his bleeding hand. His pain was easily forgotten when he remembered about how he broke the vacuum cleaner. I already owe KyuHyun-ssi a lot of things...he'd get mad at me for breaking the vacuum cleaner...omo...oetokke? SungMin panicked and started to pick up the dirt and plastic bits. The blood was still flowing, but he could care less. He had to clean up this whole mess, then worry about how angry KyuHyun would be at him.

It took SungMin an hour to clean up the whole floor using wet cloths and by then, the blood has stopped flowing, but SungMin's hand was red and painfully swollen. His hand hurt as heck, but he prioritized the cleaning process.

While SungMin was washing the last cloth, KyuHyun came home and SungMin rushed to the door to give a nervous greeting. Before SungMin could say "Welcome home", KyuHyun screamed.

"MIN, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR HAND?!"