Chapter 6: Changes

Sticky Notes Love!

Jiyeon glanced out of the tinted windows of the limousine. She spotted many familiar edifice. It is nice to be back. She was amazed at the number of vehicles that zoomed past them, sending obnoxious fumes into the waiting pedestrians. Right, I seemed to have forgotten Seoul is always this packed, it’s similar to Tokyo. They had been stuck in traffic jams four or five times while they were on the highway.

Her aunt Haeri, Hyomin's mother, was with her at the back of the car, her tiny-looking hands placed Jiyeon’s.

“Jiyeon ah, you must have missed this place,” Her aunt flashed an eye-smile at her; it has not change over the years, not even the slightest hint of aging.

The woman had paid her a visit her during her vacation in Japan after knowing that the girl was about to study in Seoul. She even suggested that Jiyeon studied in the same high school as Hyomin since she was able to pull some strings in that school.  Haeri invited Jiyeon to stay at her mansion instead of living in school hostels which, according to her descriptions were filthy and crammed. Jiyeon agreed promptly to please her Aunt and to enjoy the company of her cousin.

The girl had craved to return. It was the place where her memories of her mother were most vivid. She immigrated with her father to Japan at the age of ten to expand his business overseas, a distraction for the man who grieved for the death of his beloved wife. However, Jiyeon preferred to live in the outskirts of the city, to enjoy the peace offered by the simplistic lifestyles of its inhabitants. After much persuasion from his daughter, Jiyeon’s father had finally agreed to Jiyeon receiving an education in Korea. After all, the girl had reached sixteen.

The place where my parents had passionately loved each other.

Though Jiyeon's mother had passed on when she was just a child and merely had any idea about romantic feelings, she remembered how loving her parents were. Hence, she came back to search for those smiles that were lost along with her mother, the ones that could only be found with true love.

"Jiyeon ah, My Minnie would be so please to see you," Her aunt assured her.

"Madam... Actually Miss is currently not at home" The chauffeur spoke, almost inaudibly.

"She must be with her friends then," She assumed with no suspicion.

"Miss ran into some issues with her father. She has been thrown out of house," his voice got even softer.

"What?!"

 

**

 

“You… Heartless man!” The woman heart ached as her thoughts were filled with images of her child suffering, a damsel in distress.

"What were you thinking of? She's our only daughter! You could have just reprimand her or do something else instead! Oh my poor Minnie." Haeri sobbed, occasionally dabbing her eyes with her embroidered handkerchief.

"This is my way of teaching her and I will not allow you to meddle into this affair. That child will only rid her smugness through hardships. I have frozen your bank account and credit cards, so you will not be able to pass her money secretly," The man said placidly.

That child?! What do you mean that child?!” Haeri shrieked.

“Calm down my dear,” Hyomin’s father cupped his hands over his ears, “Okay, okay, I promise I will allow her back after she has learnt her lesson.”

“No! I want her back now!” Haeri’s voice rose by four decibels.

“My dear, I cannot give any more concessions. It will be to Hyomin’s disadvantage if she does not experience hardships now.” The wearied man tried to calm his wife down.

Before the woman could continue to spill her reprehension, Jiyeon spoke suddenly, "Auntie, I'm sure Hyomin would be fine. Besides, we could always give her a call if you're worried.” Jiyeon placed her hands on her aunt's shoulders to console her.

Haeri almost forgot about Jiyeon’s presence and was embarrassed to have thrown her tantrum in front of the child, she managed a nod in the end.

Jiyeon was envious of Hyomin for having both parents that express so much care and concern for their daughter. Unlike Hyomin, Jiyeon’s father had become a workaholic and did not spare much time with her. She grew up in loneliness, with hopes that she will receive more love.

 

**

 

Though Hyomin did not expect much from the apartment, she thought it would at least be passable. Oh, how wrong was I. The paint was peeling off the wall, the furniture were worn out and the door lock-pad was loose. Wise choice.

She regretted not inspecting the place beforehand and to leave the matter entirely to an agent. She twisted the doorknob to enter her supposed bedroom, as gently as she could, yet the already-rickety doorknob came off. She rolled her eyes, irritated by the terrible condition of her house.

The room was a faded shade of yellow with a tiny mattress, wooden cabinet and a wobbly desk.

Hyomin slumped on the bed and scoffed. Just one week ago, she was living comfortably in her mansion. Now, she has to put up with this place. As she laid down, a fly flew past her in which she gave a yelp. The first thing I have to get is an insecticide.

Just as the dead-beaten girl’s eyes were about to close, the piece of hideous device she owned vibrated noisily. Ahh… What’s this?!

“Hello?! Who’s this?” She asked irritably into the receiver.

“Ms Park, this is JYP agency, the one you’ve registered with us just the day before. We’re pleased to inform you that you have been hired.” The speaker spoke enthusiastically.

“What? That’s so soon.” Hyomin was shocked.

“Yes, it is a record-breaking case for us too. The client was apparently very satisfied with your portfolio.” The speaker chimed.

“Portfolio? What portfolio?” The girl was in a state of confusion.

“Ah… remember we asked you about your working experience and other stuff?” The speaker was obviously trying to hide a fact from the girl.

“Okay… and? Apparently I have zero working experience.” Hyomin was growing suspicious. Was it father’s doings?

“E-Er yea… your employer clearly stated he wanted a newbie to do the job, stating that newbies are more resilient. Besides, he said he needed a smart domestic worker.”

Hyomin was busy scribbling down notes while the speaker instructed routes she could take to her employer's address.

She decided that she would take up the job first and leave her suspicions to later.

The fact that her employer had not wanted to reveal his details with her confirmed her suspicions that it was part of her father’s plans, or so she thought.

 

**

 

“You didn’t tell her my full name did you?” Woohyun questioned impatiently.

“Of course not Mr Nam. We are a pro in this business and would absolutely abide by our customers wishes.” The servicewomen cajoled her customer.

“Good. Very good.” Woohyun reclined back into the armchair, smiling. 

 

 

Writer's Note: The long anticipated Jiyeon has finally made her appearance here ^^

Please look forward to Hyomin's comedic antics during her time as a domestic helper ^^ Many of you may have drawn parallels between Hyomin and her Hyoderella image :D I'm so glad you guys still remember invincible youth ToT 

@Water_rid: Of course, Hyomin is always beautiful :D Hope I didn't disappoint you with Jiyeon's character ^^

@KisungYouBaby26: Yup, she has no idea :P

@Neko-Meow: May I present to you... Hyoderella! :D

@jerbie18: Aww... That will happen soon in the next few chapters :)

@Lurver: I'm gonna torture her a bit :D Heehee