Chapter 10: Backfired

Sticky Notes Love!

Hyomin stared at the yellow piece of note, bewildered.

Dear HYODERELLA,

I would like to have spicy stir-fried squid for today’s dinner as I’ve been craving for it. I want it FRESH.  Like yesterday, do the chores and the money is on the dining table. Please prepare it instead of buying the dish, I enjoy home-cooked food. Bring an umbrella along. This is the ONLY note.

Squid? This is ridiculous! I’ve never even prepared any meat dishes before besides, I don’t even have the recipe, and how do you expect me to do that?! Hyomin flipped over the note to check if there was any writings or guidance on it, but was only greeted at the sight of a blank note. What to do now? Jiyeon. Jiyeon is the best at cooking. She rummaged through her bag and texted her cousin for help.

Jiyeon ah! Do you know how to make spicy stir-fried squid? If not, can you search the recipe for me? This is urgent!

Jiyeon replied her almost immediately. Hyomin slouched upon seeing the long list of instructions.

 

**

 

"Erm... Is this 450 grams?" Hyomin pointed dubiously at the very alive large squid.

"Yes, it's definitely more than that miss," The vendor flashed a broad smile.

"Okay, I'll take this. Can you slice it up for me?" She requested as she made her payment.

"Young lady, if want it fresh, you've got to do it at home. Unless you want to eat it now at the restaurant," The vendor advised her.

So that's what he wants; driving me crazy.

“I’ll have it live then,” Hyomin mumbled as she watched the vendor grabbed the Squid and expertly shoved it into a bag with water. The massive animal squirmed when the girl received it. I’m really going to board the bus with this? No, I won’t allow myself to be seen with this creature. She hid the squid in her bag carefully.

As if on cue, rain poured down heavily as she was about to alight at her stop. He must have read the weather forecast and yet, he still insist on me buying this damn squid, jerk. She opened the umbrella and got off the bus. Again, she slipped and let out a scream; not because of the pain but because the fish bag had slid out of her bag, and it burst upon hitting the ground.

The girl spilled out a slew of expletives and decided to cast her umbrella aside. She was busying herself with catching the squid on the wet road; Every time she got hold of the squid, it slipped away from her hands. She wrestled the massive creature for about five minutes or so before she succeeded in catching it, pedestrians were amused at her miserable state and her comedic actions.

 

 

 

**

 

The drenched Hyomin reached out and grabbed the living creature with her eyes shut as the creature squirmed under her grasp. I can do this. She grabbed the head of it with one hand and in the other, she gripped the knife tightly. Her shut eyes opened a fraction as she dissected the squid, gently pulling the arms and the internal organs slipped out. She winced at the sight of the arms that were still convulsing and sliced the internal organs from the arms.

"Ohh... This is a torture!" She was amazed that she had not thrown up, the arms were wiggling like worms now. Hyomin wrinkled her nose while washing and draining the squid. She settled the half-processed squid and sliced it into thin strips, it was tough, its mucous membrane were slimy.

I should have appreciated my cook more. She thought about the number of chefs driven away from her house because of her nit-picking habit.

Once the job was done, she dumped her gloves into the bin immediately. An idea came across her mind, and a sinister smile spread across her face. The girl proceeded on to make the chilli paste. You like it spicy? Well then, I will give it to you. She chopped a bagful of garlics, added generous amount of chilli powder into the mixture and finally for the most lethal weapon, chilli padis. How many should I put?

The thought of her employer tearing buckets excited the girl even further. 

 

**

I should really install an infrared system. I can't always hang around here. Woohyun hovered around the stairs of his apartment building, again. He checked his watch impatiently, waiting for Hyomin to leave his house. I feel like I am a robber.

Just then, the awaited one came out, with a satisfied look. Woohyun, not wanting to be seen by her quickly turned his back to run away. Gee, that was close.

The slippery stairs caused him to fall. Luckily, he covered his mouth to prevent himself from screaming out loud.

Dear Employer,

Enjoy your dinner :) Pardon me if this isn't well made.

The yellow note was beside the plate of stir-fried squid. The vegetables were not cooked but that was not the reason why Woohyun spat the food out; the dish was far too spicy. He fanned himself and his face gradually reddened as the chilli paste was burning his throat. He ran to the refrigerator, searching frantically for his bottles of cold water. Instead, he found empty bottles beside the now-filled kettle with a note.

I heard that boiled water is much healthier but be careful, it is still hot :D

Sweet revenge, Hyomin.

 

**

 

“Woohyun, sing us Stevie Wonder’s “Lately!” Dongwoo teased the boy who was covered with cuts and had a sore throat.

“A singer would never eat such spicy food. What were you thinking of?” Sunggyu reprimanded the main vocalist.

“Thanks to Hyomin’s special dish,” Woohyun’s voice sounded hoarse as he forced the words out.

The searing pain was too much for him to bear.

The others broke out into laughter and teased the embarrassed boy, they did not notice his mentioning of the girl’s name.

“Wait… Hyomin? Park Hyomin?!” Hoya caught his words very much later.

“Yeah… She is now my domestic helper,” Woohyun cleared his throat twice before replying him.

He then went on telling them Hyomin’s exile from her house, his employment and his anonymity.

“Way to go Hyomin!” Sungjong cheered.

“This girl is way too sassy,” Sungyeol giggled.

“She is cool,” Myungsoo chuckled.

The boys widened their eyes upon the statement.

“What? She really is cool. Hey, do you think I can hire her as well?” Myungsoo added with a huge grin.

The rest were surprised when Myungsoo had gotten involved in their conversation.

The day before, it was his parents’ anniversary. For the past few years, they had not celebrated it. This time, his mother prepared dinner instead and dolled herself up while his father was at least on time for dinner, it had been so long since they ate together as a family. The warmth he had lost had returned that night.

“NO!” Woohyun protested. The boy held his throat, apparently having used too much force.

Myungsoo only chuckled. Just then, his phone vibrated, he scrutinised at its content. Though it was from an unfamiliar number, he immediately knew who it was. The lost wanderer.

 

Writer's note: 

@jerbie18: Thank you :)  will try to make the story more interesting :D

@Lurver: Ne~ Thank you for being so supportive all along ^^

@Neko-Meow: Haha, the girls were exaggerating Hope this Woomin chapter didn't disappoint you XD

@jiyeon4ever: Sorry, this fic is more to Woomin :) I will try to include more Myungyeon

@doriesin: Thank you so much for liking this fic :D