Guesses

Writing Compilation

I gave him a little nudge. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"You're sure?"

"Mm-hm," he nodded, eyes seeming downcast.

"Well, let me know if I can help in any way."

His eyes perked up and his head jerked up in attention, as if hearing me for the first time.

"Actually..." The look on his face was of expectance, the corners of his lips lifted up by just a fraction of a centimeter.

"Is it that Wendy girl?" A mischievous grin grew on my face.

His eyes suddenly widened. "Y-you know, it's alright after all. I'm fine. Really."

"Really? Then it's not that pretty desk mate or anything?"

The look returned to his face. One mixed with disappointment and amusement. I looked off into the distance, feigning my lack of concern on the matter.

The sound of a snort reached my ears.

I turned my attention back to him, "It's nothing!"

I raised a brow quizzically, shooting him a look of suspicion.

"Really," he reassured me.

I spun on my heels yet again, prepared to head out the door.

I heard him snort again, this time managing to catch his wistful smile just out of the corner of my eye.

"What?" Irritation was beginning to mar my countenance, as I questioned him for what seemed like the umpteenth time.

"Nothing!" His hands shot up in surrender, as his good-natured smile transfigured into a smirk.

My brows furrowed.

"Is it that girl from Bio class?"

"What? No! Just- never mind."

"Then don't do that." I murmured.

He frowned. "Do what?"

"Get my hopes up then extinguish them, by denying all attempts at a reply, all in under a minute."

"But I really-" he argued, "you know what, never mind."

"Really now," I hissed, in a moment's haste, venting my frustration. "I know I might not be the sharpest crayon in the box, but I know you're bothered. So just say what's bugging you."

"It's just a stupid girl problem!"

"I knew it, nothing else gets you so upset." A silly, indignant smile was on my lips.

"You won't be able to help anyway." His cheeks reddened."It's supposed to be a surprise."

"You know, I can probably still guess whatever spontaneous scheme you've got to woo that new girl in French." I shot a smile in his direction.

"Don't go putting words in my mouth," A lovely crimson was flooded into his cheeks by now.

"It's the truth!"

"No, it's not." He huffed in annoyance, rolling his eyes in exasperation.

"Are you trying to say I'm bad at making clever guesses, right now?" I cocked a brow.

"No, argh," a grunt escaped his lips and his gaze flickered fleetingly to my lips.

"I give up."

Slender fingers wrapped my wrist and tugged me close. His lips landed on mine. Gentle, yet determined to prove his point.

"I never said you were bad at that." He answered earnestly as he pulled away, a ridiculously cheeky smile growing on his face.

"Just really bad at guessing who I like," gently, his forehead lowered to mine, skin against skin. He continued, a twinkle in the depths of his irises, "I'll give you one last chance."

He leant forwards, aligning his lips to my ear. "So, what's your guess now, Sherlock?" he whispered by my earlobe, breath tickling the nape of my neck.