Curiosity Killed the Cat

Horrifyingly SHINee: A Collection

Nearing midnight and the end of his shift, Jonghyun drove down a dark road. He had just dropped off his last call and was more than ready to grab a drink, something warm to eat and crawl into bed.

His speakers blared the top 40 of the week, a very distinct change from the 50s showtunes the elderly couple had requested to hear.

They lived in a remote area two towns over and his GPS cut out three turns back.

The lack of streetlights and the moonless sky made for a dark and slightly eerie ride, but he drove on. He figured out the general direction of home and set his cruise control.

Yawning, Jonghyun muttered to himself “What a long day, thank god its over.” Taking his eyes off the road just long enough to check the time.

When he looked up, his foot automatically slammed on the brakes.

Standing almost in the middle of the road was a young woman. She held one hand up shielding her eyes from the bright headlights of Jonghyun’s taxi car. Even with the glare of the lights in the blackness of the night, he could tell that she was a gorgeous woman.

Long black hair cascaded down her back, stopping just above the swell of her hips. It contrasted against her glowing pale skin and flowing white gown.Her dress swayed as she moved towards the car, hem swishing just over the tops of her feet.

Curious as to what a young woman was doing out so late, Jonghyun slowly pulled forward, driving until she was level with the passenger side of his car. Rolling down the window Jonghyun smiled and asked “Excuse me miss, is something wrong?”

“I want to go home.” Her voice was quiet, barely more than a whisper.

Jonghyun blinked slowly, the sound of her voice almost mesmerizing to him. “I’m off duty.” He said, knowing that his boss wouldn’t be happy if he took any fares off the clock.

“I just want to go home. Please just take me home.” She looked into his eyes with one dark eye. Hair covered the other making her look even sadder than her voice sounded.

Sighing and knowing that he would catch trouble for it, Jonghyun relented. “Where do you live?” Hopefully it wouldn’t be too far and he’d still be able to get that drink.

Giving her address and basic directions, Jonghyun unlocked the car door and waited as she climbed in.

Sitting next to him, he was able to clearly see the shape of her body tightly outlined by the fabric of her dress. The swell of her s drew his eyes and he had to quickly drag his head away. His heart raced as the woman turned to look at him, the closeness causing his body to harden.

“I want to go home.” She whispered again.

“Okay, home it is.” Putting the car in gear, Jonghyun drove off. They drove in silence for a few moments until it became uncomfortable. “So what are you doing out here so late?” He chanced to ask.

“I just want to go home.” She turned away from him, he shivered not realizing she’d been staring at him the entire time.

Sighing, Jonghyun tried another question. “I’m Jonghyun, what’s your name?”

“Sohee.” She replied quietly.

“Sohee. That’s a pretty name. My brother’s girlfriend is Sodae.” Jonghyun struggled to think if things to say. It was the first time he had this problem, most of the time his customers were very chatty.

So they drove in silence through the dark night, turning off the main highway and onto a lonesome dirt road. It was bordered by thick woods, trees so dense that not even the stars could shine.

Finally the road ended and the trees gave way to a dilapidated house. The two-story building had a sunken porch and peeling paint. The shutters on some windows were falling, others completely missing.

It didn’t look like a place a pretty young woman should be living.

“We’re here. I think.” Jonghyun pulled up as close to the door as he could and turned to look at her. “This is it?”

“Thank you.” She said in that soft voice of hers. Opening the door, she slid out, dress catching and showing off a good portion of lean, long leg.

Jonghyun couldn’t help but stare, head jerking as she turned back to look at him again, hair still covering that one eye.

“You’re welcome.” And before he could tell her the fare, she was gone.

She practically skipped up the porch steps and slipped into the unlocked house.

After sitting in his car for a long moment, debating about whether or not he should ask for the fee, Jonghyun bit his lip. At least if he came home with the extra money his boss probably wouldn’t fire him.

Of course, he wouldn’t deny that curiosity was getting the better of him as he stared at the creepy house and the thought of the pretty girl.

Throwing the gears into park, Jonghyun undid his seatbelt and got out of the car. Climbing the steps, he shivered. The night seemed colder now than it did when he started his shift 9 hours before.

Foreboding crept up on him and he stopped, almost turning around and getting back into his car. Shaking off the feeling he moved towards the door and knocked.

“Hello? Sohee-ssi?” He knocked again, louder this time, “You didn’t pay me, I’m sorry but my boss will kill me if I miss out on a fare.”

There was no response and no matter how loud he knocked or how much he shouted, it didn’t seem like that was going to change.

Once again curious, but not wanting to just walk in, Jonghyun decided to peer in the keyhole. Bending down slightly, he leaned forward and pressed his face close to the door.

As he peered through the hole, he wrinkled his nose in disappointment. All he could see was a brightly lit red wall.

Figuring she probably the television or a radio and couldn’t hear him, Jonghyun gave up.

He was still tired, hungry and now disappointed. He’d face his boss in the morning and deal with things as they would come.

Climbing back into his car, Jonghyun couldn’t stop the chills running down his spine. His gut told him that something just wasn’t right.

The radio turned to static as he approached town, grumbling he flicked it off and pulled into a close enough parking spot to his favourite bar.

The bartender was an oddly dressed young man around his own age. Key as he preferred to be called poured him his usual and pulled up a stool.

“Almost closing time hyung, what brings you hear so late?” He wiped the sticky bar in front of him lazily with a wet rag. Then he poured himself a glass and leaned in. “What’s up?”

“I just had the oddest fare ever. Hell, there wasn’t even a fare in the end, just a free ride.” Jonghyun swirled the last mouthful in his glass before swallowing it. “To some creepy house in the middle of nowhere. She didn’t even give me a tip.”

Key turned quiet, face paling as he quickly poured himself another and downed it in a single shot. “They say that on moonless nights a pretty young girl wanders the roads.” He began his story without looking at the taxi driver on the other side of the bar.

“Stories say that she’s a witch. An evil being known to have performed acts of unspeakable evil.” He shuddered as his eyes seemed to glaze over in remembrance.

The eerie feeling from earlier crept back up on Jonghyun, shivers returning and causing him to shake in fright. He watched the frighted bartender swallow a third drink, wanting him to continue but at the same time afraid of what he had to say.

Key continued, almost in a trance now as he spoke. “The legend is that once you meet her you will never meet another.”

“Another girl?”

“Another person. They say that once you see her and look into her eyes, you’re marked.” He shuddered.

“Marked?”

“For death.” Key whispered, leaning forward with wide open eyes.

Jonghyun shivered, “Is.. Is that so? But how do you know its her?” The temperature in the bar seemed to drop 10 degrees as thoughts raced through his shaken head.

“Its not easy,” Key began, “At first glance she looks just like everyone else. Except that she is unusually beautiful, she looks like any other girl on the streets of Seoul.”

Jonghyun froze thinking of the gorgeous woman he’d picked up earlier. “Then how…?”

“Its her eyes.” Key hissed, “You see death when you look into her eyes.” He shuddered as if caught in a horrible memory.

“Never look into her eyes.”

“Her eyes?” Jonghyun felt his heart jump into his throat as he thought about the girl with the soul catching brown eye.

“Yes, one eye is a lovely, warm chocolate brown but the other…”

“The other?”

Key stared at Jonghyun, eyes burning into the older man’s, “Its always covered by her thick black hair, the other is… its a horrifying, soul stealing, solid red.”

Jonghyun heart dropped into his stomach as he watched Key push away and stagger away from him, staring at something over his shoulder.

Freezing in fear, knowing what was standing, breathing down his neck over his shoulder.

“There was no red wall.” He whispered to himself as a weight dropped onto his shoulder.

He was too afraid to turn his head, shaking in fear as a horrifyingly familiar soft, quiet voice spoke the last words he’d ever hear.

“Curiosity killed the cat.”
 

---

So much thanks to AthleticShawol for sending me this wonderfully creepy idea!  *hugs*

Of course to everyone else as well, thank you for reading and this is the time to let me know what you think!

Don't be afraid or shy! Comments, questions, suggestions, concerns? Everything is welcome and greatly appreciated ^.^

Much loves to you all

Kat