Phonecall

That Girl Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9

Phonecall

 

 

DARA'S POV

 


"WHAT?!" Both Bom and Chaerin's head snapped up and the magazines they're holding dropped. I was in a coffee shop near my apartment with Bom and Chaerin. I called them after my out-of-office seminar which was expected to end at 5pm, but ended earlier at 2pm. I called the office and Jessica told me that Donghae said I can go home already since the seminar was 'technically' until 5. I hesitated at first but she insisted, and so I complied. It was a relief then, because I didn't need to shrug off Jessica's deathly daggers and Donghae's cold and weird shoulders. It's as if I did anything wrong to them, yeah? I can still understand Jessica's since I know the fact that my presence was a threat to her...but for Donghae? I don't know, since the elevator incident happened up to the idea that I was working with him, it was a complete 180-degrees transformation. It was like, he didn't flirt with me during our first encounter in the elevator? I tried to look civil around him, but the word civil was too cliche. I don't know if that was just me or was he really staring at me that I caught him some time and he will immediately look away, or walk the other way when our paths crossed. Maybe I should talk to him tomorrow, because I don't think I can survive that kind of working environment any longer. I can resign if I need to.

 


"What do you mean you have a child?" I jumped, and saw Bom looked like she was going to explode with shock. Chaerin kept cool, as always l, but I saw her right eyebrow raised.

 


I let out a deep breath and told them everything. Well, almost everything. I left out the part of Jiyong asking me to be his girlfriend. They ooh'd and aw'd throughout, even sighing occasionally as if on cue. When I was finished relating the last night's events, their faces were blank and just crossed their arms and remained silent.

 


I looked at them pleadingly, "Care to share what's behind those blank faces?"

 


Chaerin sighed and dropped both of her hands on the table, "I don't know." She started, "I have a bad feeling about this. I mean, yeah. The baby's an angel, looked cute, innocent, and blah blah blah...but Dara, are you sure about this? You, agreeing to pretend as this baby's mom also means you agreeing to pretend his father's girlfriend, or fiancee, or wife whatever."

 


"Yeah. He asked me to be his girlfriend," I said in a rush. Both faces dropped.

 


"What?" Bom asked flatly. Chaerin shifted in her seat.

 


"I said, he asked me to be his girlfriend. "My voice came out a little more than a squeak.

 


"And your response was?" Chaerin was definitely interested at this point.

 


"Okay?"

 


"What the hell, Dara? Are you crazy? You don't even know this guy! Of all the things to say just to get in your pants..." By this point both girls were standing. And pacing.

 


That was not a good sign. This was not the reaction I had anticipated. At all.

 


"Wait, no, it's not like that. I'm not even his real girlfriend. It's just that, well, you said it already Chae, I agreed to pose as his son's mom so it means I also have to pose as his girlfriend. I'm just helping him to get over his parents' wrath, okay? That's all. We came to an agreement that this is all just for temporary, until they softened. And I'm sure it isn't that long, the baby is so charming, I bet you'll love him, too." Bom threw her arms and made the motion for me to stop.

 


"Wait. Stop. Let me see if we understand this correctly. You agreed to be this baby's mom."

 


"Yes."

 


"You said you agreed to pose as his girlfriend, too."

 


"Yes?"

 


"All of this are temporary, but you didn't know until when that 'temporary' will end?

 


"Uhmmm. Y-yeah?"

 


"You're crazy." They were both staring at me like I had lost my mind. I started to open my mouth to speak, to further explain my reasoning when my phone started to ring.

 


I glanced at the caller ID and saw that it was Jiyong, we exchanged numbers last night before I went back to my room in case something happened to the baby. See? All of these are just for the sake of the baby. The baby, and noone else. Looking at both of my friends, pleading for forgiveness with my eyes, I clicked my phone open and put it to my ear.

 

 

 

 

JIYONG'S POV

 


"Can I pick him up?" TOP asked. My brother arrived early in the morning after I called him last night to look for the baby. My baby. He was dumbfounded at first but eventually gave in. Just as I thought. He started to act like the best uncle ever...like the baby has a choice?

 


"As long as you don't drop him."

 


TOP's hair fell forward as he bent down and began to slide his hands beneath the baby's tiny shoulders. He stopped and looked weary at me. "I don't know how."

 


I rolled my eyes, "You can do it. Just remember to support his head." Hell, I didn't notice until now that I was actually giving him baby advise.

 


He did as I told him and lifted him up, exclaiming. "Oh wow, man. Look at you, look at your hands!" He shook his head in wonder, "Tiny fingernails! And those chubby cheeks! Look, he's blinking!"

 


I couldn't help but smiled at his childishness. He really is amazed with babies, just like my father. I watched him take a tour in my apartment with the baby still in his arms. He stopped infront of me and carefully settled the baby into the crook of his arm. He stared at him and creased his forehead, "Oh no, don't pull that face, you are not allowed to cry little man." He cooed. My brother freaking cooed.

 


"He must be hungry," I said.

 


"Don't worry, we'll give him some Haribo. Hey man, you want a jelly worm? Or a teddy bear?"

 


"Hyung, you can't give him Haribo!" I panicked.

 


He gave me a look that said he was just joking. "No? Good then, that means more for us." He walked to the center table and picked up the formula bottle and b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter