Confessions

That Girl Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 22

Confession

 

JIYONG’S POV

 

Dara has a date tonight.

 

I huffed in annoyance. Ji Woo was peacefully sleeping in his crib and the atmosphere of the house was too quiet which further added to my irritation.

 

I tapped my fingers repeatedly on the dining table, not minding to touch the food TOP ordered earlier before he and Bom left. I couldn’t bring myself to eat…dammit! Like I needed more for fuel for this anger.

 

Why am I angry anyway?

 

Honestly, I didn’t know anymore. I was ing confused. Maybe the frustration over the situation with Ji Woo and my parents reached my limit. I was managing well lately, thanks to Dara’s help.

 

Dara.

 

She’s going out with that fish, Donghae tonight. Not the friendly type of date as I heard from Bom with her conversation with TOP earlier. She said it appears to be like it for Dara, so she kept on insisting that it was not a friendly gesture and she thinks that fish likes Dara. But Dara was in denial of it. Well, what if he confesses his feelings over their dinner?

 

Ugh! I buried my head between my folded elbows. To tell the truth, I didn’t know if I wanted those things to happen. I mean, it wasn’t my business anyway. But why am I feeling this way?

 

I was jealous. I was ing jealous. Before I used to think of it as something that was cheap until I felt it myself.

 

“, Dara…” Still bugging me even if she wasn’t here. Lifting my head up to the ceiling, I let out a heavy sigh. Maybe I should just leave things as it was. Civil. Polite. Just tangled into this complicated mess. Dara’s presence was messing with me. I am losing it. I needed to regroup – to regain control over myself and over the situation.

 

 

DARA’S POV

 

I stood in front of the mirror, fluffing my hair and checking my teeth for wayward lipstick.

 

After almost three hours with Bom and Chaerin’s torture treatment, we finally settled with a long-sleeved backless black dress that cuts just above my knee and a four-inch silver pointed heels. My friend said I have to appear as simple as I can on my first date. Simple, right.

 

Donghae said that he will be picking me up at seven and I planned to meet him outside of the building. Parking on my street was ridiculous. A glance at the clock told me it was time to get going, I made a final look at myself on the mirror before letting myself into the hallway.

 

And straight into Jiyong, who was in front of my door.

 

“Ow, hey. I thought you’ll join them tonight?” I asked, standing and smoothing my dress.

 

“Nana Lisa needs to leave early tonight. Her son has fever.” He breathed.

 

I nodded in response. We were past the awkward stage, but why did the atmosphere is a bit cold right now? I tried to bury the thoughts off my head, so I said nodding towards the elevator, “Walk with me?”

 

“I’m headed out as well. Going to buy coffee,” he explained as we entered the elevator.

 

“Need to stay awake for Ji Woo, huh?” I joked.

 

When he didn’t response, I never dared to open up another conversation with him until we get off the elevator. As we walked to the lobby, Jiyong finally spoke, “Dara…”

 

I waited for him to continue, I stopped when we reached the front door and faced him. I studied him carefully, he was trying his best to avoid my gaze while running his hands through his hair.

 

Just as I thought! I’m pretty sure I already saw this same demeanor from him.

 

“If you’re gonna ask me to meet your parents again. I’m telling you now…Not. Gonna. Happen.” I emphasized. I wasn’t budging on this one.

 

Jiyong growled, obvious that he was caught on the act. “What? No! I…ugh...”

 

“Dara?” a concerned voice came from behind me, and I turned to see Donghae walking towards us.

 

“Donghae,” I called out, stepping away from Jiyong.

 

“You ready to go?” he asked, looking at Jiyong carefully. Jiyong straightened to his full height and looked back, just as carefully.

 

“Yep, ready to go. Jiyong, you’ve met Donghae.” They leaned in to shake hands, and I could see that they both exerted extra force, neither seeming to want to be the one to let go first. I rolled my eyes at the sight.

 

“Okay, Donghae, we should get going. Jiyong, I’ll talk to you soon,” I interrupted, ending the handshake of the century.

 

Donghae turned toward where his car was double-parked, and Jiyong looked at me.

 

“Call me if he does something to you.” He mumbled, and I squelched my own laugh.

 

“What I, daddy, a ten year-old?” I hissed before following Donghae. He steered me to the car with his hand on the small of my back. I stiffened a bit at the touch of his cold hands, but Jiyong’s eyes widened a little at the sight.

 

Donghae opened the door for me, then headed around to his side. Jiyong was still standing in front of our building when we drove away. I rubbed my hands together in front of the heater and grinned at Donghae as he steered through the traffic.

 

“So, where are we headed?”

 

 

We made ourselves comfortable in the swanky bar he’d selected. It seemed very Donghae: chic and sophisticated, and laced with hidden uality. The deep red leather banquettes, thinly cushioned and cool, ensconced us as we settled in and began the process of getting to know each other.

 

As we waited for a server to come by, I studied him, his carefully torn jeans and black cashmere sweater clung to a body I always see was in great shape. My musing was interrupted when our waitress approached. “What can I get you two?” she asked, placing napkins in front of us.

 

“I’ll have three fingers of Macallan,” Donghae answered, turning his gaze to me, he continued, “And how about you, Dara?”

 

“Please bring me a dry vodka martini, three olives,” I smiled at the waitress. She nodded and left to fill our order.

 

“So, how’s the work in the office going for you?” Donghae started. Good thing he spoke first because I hate to make this evening turn out to be uncomfortable for the both of us.

 

I put my elbows on the table and chin in hands. “Hmm, how to encapsulate those grueling first weeks in a few sentences?”

 

He grinned, and I couldn’t help but smile back. “It was tiring at first, considering I have to balance work and the demands of my studies. But I’m slowly learning how to manage them. I’m getting used to it.”

 

He nodded, “Is work too stressful for you? Do you want me to…”

 

“Oh, no, no, no…” I cut him off. I didn’t want to receive any special treatment from him despite the fact that I was studying. One of my colleague in the office mentioned to me about the flexible hours and arrangement that the company offered to working students. But I didn’t need any of that, as much as possible I want to have a normal work life. Aside from that, I want to return the favor to my mentor who referred me to the company by being one of its asset.

 

I accepted my drink as it arrived and took a long pull. “How about you? Does work leave you no time for a social life?” I grinned cheekily.

 

He smiled and simply shrugged, “This client that we have been trying to woo for so long is giving me a hard time. But we will make it big once we sign the contract with them.”

 

Donghae continued on telling me about the deal with the big company that he was working on for quite some time already. He didn’t want to mention the name of the company for now, but he reassured me t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter